HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Laughton to Edmonton

Old
04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick Swayzie View Post
Laughton wasn't even the best player on his team (Jenner) and guys like Scheifele, Monahan, McDavid, Trocheck are all better than him in the OHL (not NHL potential). Typical hyperbole from scouts.
You clearly must know more than professional scouts.

Typical hyperbole from a HF Poster

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
You clearly must know more than professional scouts.

Typical hyperbole from a HF Poster
Laughton, according to many reports, was the best player on that Oshawa team this year. Yes a better player than Jenner. There's no reason to argue with him, by the looks of it he is a Pens fan and is trying to troll.

Yes, Lappy made up those reports too. For Christ sake, the Flyers run a proud franchise. The article was taken straight from the Flyers website. They won't produce fictitious material because they are coming off a poor season. Flyer fans understand these are bound to happen, we won't be out of contention for long. Any reasonable fan can see the injuries really derailed the team also. Yes, we might have relied on Couts and Schenn a little too heavily, but this team isn't a lottery team when healthy.

To say the Flyers fan base is "clamoring" to hear good news is off base. We know what we have in the system(besides a few prospects) we don't have much. The players we do think highly on though are good prospects. Not a "third line center at max" like you have said.

Last edited by spiny norman: 04-23-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: not needed
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:41 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Yes, Lappy made up those reports too. For Christ sake, the Flyers run a proud franchise. The article was taken straight from the Flyers website. They won't produce fictitious material because they are coming off a poor season. Flyer fans understand these are bound to happen, we won't be out of contention for long. Any reasonable fan can see the injuries really derailed the team also. Yes, we might have relied on Couts and Schenn a little too heavily, but this team isn't a lottery team when healthy.

Be Lappy!

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Nope i dont know him. Guess youre clueless though, huh. I dont have a dog in this fight, i just super irritated by the vast majority of Oiler fans and their crappy proposals and attitudes.

Seems to me this sounds like a bit of a contradiction my friend.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
yeah well your offering of Musil or Gernat is horrendous. They are lesser prospects than Scotty Laughty.
Gernat is, yes. Musil is not.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:42 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Gernat is, yes. Musil is not.
Gernat has potential. Excellent size standing at 6'5

4G, 8A for the Oil Kings in the playoffs so far.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:44 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Gernat has potential. Excellent size standing at 6'5

4G, 8A for the Oil Kings in the playoffs so far.
Gernat has potential, but he is years away from being an NHL'er, if he makes it at all. He's got the tools, but really needs to fill out. He's a good enough prospect, but nowhere near as good as Musil and Laughton simply because he has much more growth (in his game, not physically) before he is considered anything other than a long shot to make the NHL.

Old
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Gernat has potential, but he is years away from being an NHL'er, if he makes it at all. He's got the tools, but really needs to fill out. He's a good enough prospect, but nowhere near as good as Musil and Laughton simply because he has much more growth (in his game, not physically) before he is considered anything other than a long shot to make the NHL.
Wow!

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666774

Old
04-23-2013, 04:56 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I don't see what an Oilers press release does to change my analysis. He is years away. If nothing else than to put on some muscle. He needs to figure out how to use his height better. He has great skills, but mark my words, Gernat adjusting to pro hockey from junior won't be easy. He needs size, he needs to work on his skating and balance, and he needs better defensive coverage. He might be great, but he's at least three years away from being a decent NHL'er still. If he makes it at all. That's why we got him in the 5th round.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:58 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
yeah well your offering of Musil or Gernat is horrendous. They are lesser prospects than Scotty Laughty.
I agree that offering Musil or Gernat for Laughton is horrendous. It's one teams homerish lopsided proposal just as Laughton for Klefbom is another fan bases homerish proposal

Old
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Laughton, according to many reports, was the best player on that Oshawa team this year. Yes a better player than Jenner.
Looking at the stats, seems that Jenner had a better regular season, while Laughton was better in the playoffs. Both look to be high quality prospects, so that doesn't change anything regarding this trade discussion between Flyers and Oilers fans.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Chimp

Laughton for Klefbom. That sounds like fictional characters in a goofy novel.

Can I throw in Grant Clitsome as trade bait for Scott Laughton?

Last edited by Chimp: 04-24-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

Quote:
You have less than 250 posts here. How can you be so irritated by Oiler fans? I smell a banned account.
Nope. I started lurking HF at the 2007 draft but never bothered with making an account until recently. I still remember the uproar when Hickey was taken

Vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:28 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Laughton for Klefbom is actually a pretty reasonable deal, regardless of what is being discussed here.

i wouldn't do it though. contrary to most flyers fans opinions, i'd rather trade Couturier for a young defenseman with a similar ceiling and keep Laughton. I think he's more suited to be a 3rd line C than Couturier is, and Couturier won't ever reach his potential here behind Giroux and Schenn IMO.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Curufinwe

Schenn should be moved to the wing.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Schenn should be moved to the wing.
I actually agree:

Schenn G Voracek
Hartnell Couts Simmonds
Gagne Laughton Read
McGinn Hall Rinaldo

I would like to see that line-up next year to start.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Curufinwe

Great lineup, although Talbot should be in McGinn's place.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:30 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I don't like Schenn on the wing. He's proven to be much more effective at C, he's been tried on the wing periodically since last season to little avail.

That might change perhaps if he were to be there from the start of the season in a prolonged role, but I'm not so sure.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't like Schenn on the wing. He's proven to be much more effective at C, he's been tried on the wing periodically since last season to little avail.

That might change perhaps if he were to be there from the start of the season in a prolonged role, but I'm not so sure.
I am on board with you. Too many Flyer fans put him on the wing. DO they remember how ineffective he was when he was on the wing? His natural position is the pivot, keep him there.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Insulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
I agree that offering Musil or Gernat for Laughton is horrendous. It's one teams homerish lopsided proposal just as Laughton for Klefbom is another fan bases homerish proposal
Except an Oilers fan proposed it first.

Insulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:57 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick Swayzie View Post
Laughton wasn't even the best player on his team (Jenner) and guys like Scheifele, Monahan, McDavid, Trocheck are all better than him in the OHL (not NHL potential). Typical hyperbole from scouts.
I am an Oiler fan and who cares about a scouting report that was done a few years ago . Some players become more then scout expect others that scouts think are can miss become busts . We need to focus on what his value is today , i think it pretty simple . Eberle was passed over by 21 teams so we should trade him for a lower value because of his draft or scouting report ? No it is his current value

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I am on board with you. Too many Flyer fans put him on the wing. DO they remember how ineffective he was when he was on the wing? His natural position is the pivot, keep him there.
Eh, it's not like Schenn got an extended audition there. He didn't click with Giroux, but Giroux wasn't exactly setting the world on fire durign the first few games either. More importantly, Schenn's start came on his off-wing, which is arguably an even more significant transition.

I'm not sure we can really count the periodic experiments lats year--when he and Briere were doing the weird positional-zone swap thing.

Anyway, long-term, there's only so much ice-time, and something has to give with Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, and Laughton.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:08 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
Except an Oilers fan proposed it first.
Ya... I hear he's a good guy.... just craps a little too close to the house.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
rockinghockey

So if Laughton plays next year in the NHL where does he play. PHI is pretty deep with young fwds. Would make sense to trade Schenn or Courtier for a good dman. Mind you Courtier had a really bad year this year.

I would rather keep Klefbom. He was drafted later in the draft but has improved a lot since his draft year.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Klefbom for Laughton is fair. However, as an Oiler fan I wouldn't do it until I see where we end up drafting. If we are in a position to take Monahan or Barkov the deal makes little sense.
If you're in a position to take Monahan, it means you can also pick Nurse, Zadorov, Pulock and Ristolainen.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote