HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Obscure hockey references

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2005, 05:07 AM
interminded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
In the movie "Clerks" one of the characters wears a Devil's jersey, and much of the plot is based around them playing road hockey.

But in Mallrats, the video game Jason Lee is playing is between Hartford and Vancouver.

His girlfriend reminds him that he promised to make breakfast for her, and he replies with:

"Baby, breakfasts come and go. But Hartford, The Whale, they only beat Vancouver like once or twice a lifetime" (if you look at the screen he's up by like 15 goals)

one of my favourite movie scenes ever

Clerks: + Randall wearing a CCCP hockey shirt when they play hockey on the roof of the store.

Chasing Amy: Alyssa (Joey Lauren Adams) wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey while on the phone with Holden (Ben Affleck).
And Alyssa & Holden break up during a Hockey game.

Dogma: The 3 demon boys carry around hockey sticks.

Old
08-29-2005, 05:52 AM
JeffW

Ferris Buelers day off.

His friend Cameron is sporting a Wings jersey.

Old
08-29-2005, 05:56 AM
interminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW
Ferris Buelers day off.

His friend Cameron is sporting a Wings jersey.
" When Cameron was in Egypts Land... let my Cameron goooooooooooo......

(wasn´t it a HOWE jersey as I correctly remember ?)

And let´s not forget the walking hockeypuck in Toy Story,,

Last edited by interminded: 08-29-2005 at 06:10 AM.
Old
08-29-2005, 06:14 AM
MAF
Rookie User

In the new(?) Bloodhound Gang video the guitar player is wearing an orange Phildelphia Flyers jersey. I didn't see the whole clip, so I couldn't figure out which number was on the back (if there was any).

Old
08-29-2005, 06:54 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Damnit >_< I saw something with a real weird hockey reference yesterday and now I can't remember

Old
08-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

In Heat when DeNiro goes to kill Van Zant, he's watching a hockey game instead of getting his *** out of town. That bothered me until I realized it was probably a playoff OT and you just can't walk out on one of those games!

Old
08-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Original6

Nick Kypreos made an appearance on arliss.

Old
08-29-2005, 11:05 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Colin Mochrie, on Whose Line Is It Anyway? during a skit:

Welcome to the 4.15 news. I'm your anchor, Orland Kurtenbach. Today's top story: 9 out of 10 Americans believe that out of the 10 people, 1 person will always disagree with the other 9.

Kurtenbach was Vancouver's first ever captain

Old
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
the squared circle

Lots of references in the classic show CHEERS.

- one of the early episodes, Carla gets sued by a sports fan in the bar, becasue she assaults him after he hurls insults to all the Boston sports teams. She blew a gasket when he said something like "Bobby Orr...was a PANSY!!"

- Carla ends up marrying Bruins goalie Eddie "Guy" Lebec. Dozens of hockey references for a few seasons that he was on the show. Once when they broke up, she asks Sam to leave her in the bar alone as she was going to play "their song" on her tape recorder. The song was "Oh Canada"

Someone earlier mentioned M*A*S*H. Another hockey reference on that show was when klinger was talking to a Canadian military man, and wanted to trade a hockey puck for wine, or something along those lines.

On an All in the Family episode, Archie is going to his favourite saloon, Kelsey's, to watch a Ranger/blackHawk game because he says there's gonna be lots of blood spilled.

In one of the last Austin Powers movies, Meyers and Mini-Me do a rap video, and Mini-Me is wearing a Leafs jersey

Old
09-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

If you lift up the back panel of the CD case for Good Riddance's Symptons of a Levelling Spirit, there's a picture of Scott Niedermayer holding up the cup with a Good Riddance shirt on. Russ Rankin also wears a Devils jersey in one of their videos, and they thank Niedermayer, Theodore, and Boyd Devereaux in the liner notes of their last CD.

Greg Hetson of Bad Religion is a big Kings fan, he's wearing a jersey in one of the band photos for one of their records. They're all hockey fans as well, and you can find a picture of Greg Graffin in Eastside Hockey Manager.

Old
09-17-2005, 12:05 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
I saw this on a recent airing of "Cheers" on TV Land.

Sam and Diane were in the "off part" of their on again/off again relationship and were trying to better each other's distaste for the other.

Sam said something like this: "I could be released from jail after 12 years, done four years on an all-male ship, got shipwrecked, swam to a deserted island and then saw a naked Diane come out of the water and the only thing I would want from her are the hockey scores."

Old
09-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Shane

The police officer at Stan Mikita's donut shop in Wayne's World is named Officer Koharski.

This is obviously a reference to former New Jersey Devils coach Jim Schoenfeld telling referee Don Koharski to "have another donut, you fat pig" during a game.

Old
09-17-2005, 12:31 AM
CupDrought67

1) On Seinfeld jerry, elaine, kramer and puddie go to a rangers devils playoff games where puddie paints his face with the devils colours. The whole episode has hockey refrences.

2) In the movie Big Daddy adam sandler is watching a ranger's game before the kid asks to put on a children's video.

Old
09-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Coach Bruce
Blue Devils Peewee A

Send a message via AIM to Coach Bruce Send a message via MSN to Coach Bruce Send a message via Yahoo to Coach Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21
Didn't MacGyver play hockey in some episodes? And I think I heard somewhere that the actor who played him (Richard Dean Anderson) actually played for real too?
Yes, Richard Dean Anderson use to play hockey, in fact before he broke both his arms. He has also had several hockey comments in Stargate SG-1.

Quote:
Born and raised in Minneapolis, Anderson initially set his career goal toward becoming a professional hockey player. However, after breaking both arms in separate collisions on the ice while in his teens, he decided to seek other options.

Anderson is the co-founer of Celebrity All-Star Hockey Team, which raises funds for charities in conjunction with the NHL.
link

Old
09-17-2005, 08:10 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupDrought67
1) On Seinfeld jerry, elaine, kramer and puddie go to a rangers devils playoff games where puddie paints his face with the devils colours. The whole episode has hockey refrences.

2) In the movie Big Daddy adam sandler is watching a ranger's game before the kid asks to put on a children's video.

"This is a penalty shot it only happens like once every 10 years"

Old
09-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
"This is a penalty shot it only happens like once every 10 years"

Not anymore (thank you very much, NHL, for the new stupid shootout rule ).

Snoop Dogg sporting a Lethbridge Hurricanes jersey when on stage

Can't remember where I saw the pic, though.

Old
09-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Rumblick

On an old episode of L.A. Law, Harry Hamlin's character was talking about three victims and he mentioned three old Boston Bruins - Fred Stanfield and Don Marcotte were two of them, and I can't for the life of me remember the third.

Old
09-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
On an old episode of L.A. Law, Harry Hamlin's character was talking about three victims and he mentioned three old Boston Bruins - Fred Stanfield and Don Marcotte were two of them, and I can't for the life of me remember the third.
I'm sure David E Kelley wrote that episode then.

Old
09-20-2005, 02:38 AM
JaskulaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke
Not anymore (thank you very much, NHL, for the new stupid shootout rule ).

Snoop Dogg sporting a Lethbridge Hurricanes jersey when on stage

Can't remember where I saw the pic, though.
http://lethbridgehurricanes.com/news...st=80&last=120

Old
09-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaskulaR
Ah, cheers.

Cool image, really.

Old
09-21-2005, 11:50 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
Anyone remember the Canadian 70's kids movie that sort of featured the Habs in the plot and a young Gainey actually had some lines?
It was 'the mystery of the million dollar hockey puck'

It'a classic and features Serge Savard, Ken Dryden, Danny Gallivan and like you said a young Bob Gainey.

Old
09-22-2005, 08:40 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
During the lockout, the Simpsons had an opening where they are dressed in hockey gear and skate around with the Stanley Cup(I think Maggie is in the Cup). Also, in a Simpsons several years ago, Krusty goes on a bender and drinks out of/throws up in the Cup.

That Adam Sandler movie about a prison football team is coming out, they showed the ad with one of the guys complaining their are enough "brothers' on the team, he says "this ain't hockey!"

Old
09-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Guy Caballero

I've got one NO ONE will know. There was a comedy made in the seventies starrting John Astin (the original Gomez Addams) called Evil Roy Slade, about a mean cowboy villain. In it, there's a scene where's he trying to pick a new name for himself (he wasn't born with the name Evil Roy Slade but rather with some wimpy name I can't remember). So he goes through this checklist of names to himself while sitting around the campfire, and one of the names he comes up with is "Evil John Ferguson." This was one of those movies they used to show on Sunday afternoons on TV, when nothing else was on. That scene cracked me up as a kid after my dad explained it to me.

Old
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I've got one NO ONE will know. There was a comedy made in the seventies starrting John Astin (the original Gomez Addams) called Evil Roy Slade, about a mean cowboy villain. In it, there's a scene where's he trying to pick a new name for himself (he wasn't born with the name Evil Roy Slade but rather with some wimpy name I can't remember). So he goes through this checklist of names to himself while sitting around the campfire, and one of the names he comes up with is "Evil John Ferguson." This was one of those movies they used to show on Sunday afternoons on TV, when nothing else was on. That scene cracked me up as a kid after my dad explained it to me.

see, now THAT is an obscure hockey refrence. Seinfeld isn't exactly obscure....

Old
09-22-2005, 11:17 AM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
Dude is wearing a flyers jersey in the new Bloodhound Gang video

Closed Thread