Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coming down to the final week what are the issues

Old
04-21-2013, 04:06 PM
bruinmann77

vCash: 500
Coming down to the final week what are the issues

I was wondering what are the issues with this team still heading into the playoffs .PP is still #1

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Gonzothe7thDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmann77 View Post
I was wondering what are the issues with this team still heading into the playoffs .PP is still #1
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...147&highlight=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
One thing that irks me to no end on this team, is the lack of speed through the neutral zone. When I think Bruins breakout, I think snails pace.

We are near last in the NHL in PP opportunities, and its long been known speed draws penalties.

Individually, to a man, we are not a slow team. Seguin/Marchand/Peverly/Paille could be classified in the top half of the NHL in speed. But the Bruins breakout strategy doesn't exploit their skills.

It starts behind the net. Our first pass from a defensemen, 90% of the time, is to a stationary winger on the boards. I'll repeat that. Our first pass to jump start our transition into the neutral zone and beyond, is to a stationary forward on the boards, in our own zone. That basically sets our rush up the ice at a disadvantage. Whichever forward receives the pass on the boards, if he can get the puck up to another forward, is now stuck in the defensive zone as the puck moves up the ice.

Now assuming the pass from the first forward is a clean one that is received with any fluidity(which is rare), that means we have 2 forwards coming up the ice either 2-on-3 or 2-on-2. So that either means a dump in, or more often than not, a turnover. If its dumped in, theres only one forward going in on the forecheck to retrieve the puck. So he then has to battle through the slight pick that the oppositions forward or dman set, then win a battle with their last defensemen who already has time to pick up the puck with no immediate pressure.

It works really well against teams that are passive in the neutral zone (Tampa/Peg/NJ etc) that stand still in the neutral zone and try to clog it up, but against teams with quick forwards who like to pressure on the forecheck, it fails miserably,(Mon/Pitt/Carolina (especially in 09 playoffs)etc.

The first pass has to hit a forward in motion. That means the first pass has to be hard, accurate, and on the ice. I like our D-core, but I don't see a great ability to make that first pass. And our forwards don't help. Same thing as on the powerplay, they are allergic to moving without the puck. And i've never seen a forward group so bad at receiving a pass through the neutral zone. They are not crisp at all.

Fix the breakout, and you fix a lot of this teams offensive woes. Speed kills, and the Bruins of late possess none of it through the neutral zone. Speed leads to physical play, hard forecheck, no time for the oppositions dmen to take a breather. No speed, equals no PP's drawn. And say what you want about how bad the PP is, but logic tells you we eventually break out and at least become a middle of the road PP.

Random thoughts

Team rarely gets 2-on-1's, 3-on-2's, but when they do, they are HORRENDOUS.
I remember when John Madden went to the Hawks in their cup year, and one of the first differences he noticed was how in practice, it was often tedious and boring working on defensive coverage and the like when he was with the Devils. But when he gets to the Hawks, their practices had a lot to do with 2-on-1 exectution and rushes like that. Maybe Julien, when he gets the opportunity to run a few practices, needs to incorporate that. You can't teach offense, but you can practice the situations you'll be in.

For a puck possession team, we give the puck away needlessly alot. I remember when Detroit was really rolling in 07-09, it was hell trying to get the puck back from them. One thing they did extremely well that we really don't, is moving the puck with a purpose every time. They never just flipped it in and gave up possession without a fight. I hate that if we have possession in the offensive zone, and it squeaks out at the blue line, our defensemen just hammers the puck back in the zone, putting everyone on our team offsides, and giving the puck away to the other team with a free out because our forwards need to clear the zone. That is idiotic. Why give the other team a free out? If the puck squeaks out, skate it back into your own zone. Regroup, then attempt another rush in. You keep possession the whole time, and your forwards can change out if they need to because we possess the puck. Giving the puck away like that makes it so much easier for the oppositions Dman. They can retrieve the puck, no pressure. And then with their head up can make a pass with no one to deal with. Thats a luxury we shouldn't be giving to the opposition.

Long winded, but just my thoughts on the team this season, and some of these problems have popped up in seasons before.

Gonzothe7thDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:07 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
5 on 5 lack of scoring, the PP I have long ago accepted will be forever awful

Not a team in the East without holes, even the Pens fully healthy, Fleury hasn`t stopped a beach ball in years

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:28 PM
8BostonRocker24

Effort.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
cat400

Number one issue is health.

Having McQuaid & Horton injured yesterday was a blow.

Can they survive the final 4 games without sustaining any play-off damaging injuries?

The full game intensity effort that we all moan about should be resolved once the real season begins.

cat400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Not many.

I see a deep team ready for a long playoff run.

Liked Redden a lot today I think McQuaid will be #7 and Johnson #8 and I won't complain.

My issue is Julien being a little too cute with the lines. Jagr still hasn't got an extended look with Krejci which is sort of dumb to me. But the injuries along with laziness from Lucic and Horton along with integrating Jagr and Soderberg makes that task a bit harder.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

PP isn't #1.

Killer instinct is #1.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
I don't think this is the case anymore.

Bruins need to refind their identity or else they're gone in the first round.
Can't even create much chances against Florida ...

Also: switch Kelly and Krejci!

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Colt.45Orr

Finish.

PP (related to #1)

Poor puckhandling from D (related to teams knowing how to put pressure on D -Montreal style).

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:39 PM
C77

Offensive malaise that belies the amount of talent on the roster. If the team can't score a lot against bad defensive teams, it sure as hell isn't going to score a lot against the good defensive teams.

They can't afford to give up more than 2 goals a game....because they can't score more than 2 goals a game.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:06 PM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Julien keeps messing with the lines. Everyone goes through scoring droughts. Yet he has constantly shuffled lines the last 15 games to "find magic." Lines didn't seem to be a problem when we were 20-6-3, even though KHL was slumping and the PP was abysmal. Bergy line has been stellar all year, Merlot has done its job, and 3rd line has given us minimal production. So instead of fixing the 3rd line with the new acquisitions, Julien has messed with ALL of the lines, and there is NO cohesion and scoring is down across ALL lines.

5Minutes4Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:08 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
Number one issue is health.

Having McQuaid & Horton injured yesterday was a blow.

Can they survive the final 4 games without sustaining any play-off damaging injuries?

The full game intensity effort that we all moan about should be resolved once the real season begins.
Horton is a blow??? Sorry, opens the door for a guy who`ll actually put an effort in

Old
04-21-2013, 05:09 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Minutes4Fighting View Post
Julien keeps messing with the lines. Everyone goes through scoring droughts. Yet he has constantly shuffled lines the last 15 games to "find magic." Lines didn't seem to be a problem when we were 20-6-3, even though KHL was slumping and the PP was abysmal. Bergy line has been stellar all year, Merlot has done its job, and 3rd line has given us minimal production. So instead of fixing the 3rd line with the new acquisitions, Julien has messed with ALL of the lines, and there is NO cohesion and scoring is down across ALL lines.
Big difference, when the KHL line was struggling, lines 2,3 and 4 were producing, allowing for patience, not the case this year with essentially one line doing the scoring, remarkable this team is where it is in the standings

Ironic, so many fans scream for Julien to mix em up, but if it`s not to their liking......not saying this is you.

I trust the coaches have a slightly more acute idea of line combos than I. The slumps have lasted literally 40+ games

Old
04-21-2013, 05:13 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bostonrocker24 View Post
effort.
bing-o

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:16 PM
ODAAT

Confidence, which often stems from better execution, when you have those two things, it doesn`t appear as though effort is in question

This team has been grippin them since game 1, and when that happens, it affects energy all around

Old
04-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Horton is a blow??? Sorry, opens the door for a guy who`ll actually put an effort in
Does repeating it make it true in your mind? I know I can (wrongly) convince myself of things over time and I think you've done this with Horton.

He is what he is: Talented and streaky with an ability to play physical. Just because he doesn't do the later more often you can't continue to dump on the guy for "lack of effort". Lack of skating ability (agility) is more of a concern for me with Horton.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Does repeating it make it true in your mind? I know I can (wrongly) convince myself of things over time and I think you've done this with Horton.

He is what he is: Talented and streaky with an ability to play physical. Just because he doesn't do the later more often you can't continue to dump on the guy for "lack of effort". Lack of skating ability (agility) is more of a concern for me with Horton.
I can`t?? So Pevs/Ference/Pandalfo<<<<yep Pandalfo get hammered here but Horton is acceptable cuz he`s streaky??? I understand streaky, it`s what he doesn`t do when he isn`t scoring that has me beyond frustrated. With Looch, there`s suggestions it has more to do with conditioning (which is no excuse at this stage of his career), with Horton........it`s pure laziness and a propensity to disappear which is exactly what we heard and discussed for a long time in many threads before he laced em up once for this team

Old
04-21-2013, 05:55 PM
cat400

Quote:
I made that comment on the hope that we may see a 2011 play-off version of Horton in the 2013 play-offs.

cat400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:00 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Effort.
Yes.

Throw consistency in there as well. The latest trend is to bring effort for the first and last 5 minutes of games and to sleep walk through the rest of the game. It's frustrating to watch.

Hoping they can find that hunger and intensity because you know the Islanders/Leafs are going to be a very hungry team.

04-21-2013, 06:01 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
I made that comment on the hope that we may see a 2011 play-off version of Horton in the 2013 play-offs.
That`d be nice, not holdin my breath though

Old
04-21-2013, 06:15 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.6%

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Generating offense off the rush - a lot going back to gonzos post about 1 winger standing still in our end, only 2 can break out together that way.

You can see this results in a 2 on 3 where the forward will put a soft shot on net to force a draw. Given how well the Bruins do on face offs and cycling I would not be surprised if Claude tells them to force a draw in that situation.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:51 PM
THE ARS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post

...Liked Redden a lot today I think McQuaid will be #7 and Johnson #8 and I won't complain...
Right?

Dude's looking like a steal.

Quote:
For someone who defends a 24 year old out of shape Lucic, you're awful tough on a man who's trying to come back from an actual injury.

Lucic looks like a lazy mutt playing out the string.

Horton looks like a guy coming back from a debilitating injury.

But you keep pounding that drum, boss.

Quote:
I can`t?? So Pevs/Ference/Pandalfo<<<<yep Pandalfo get hammered here but Horton is acceptable cuz he`s streaky??? I understand streaky, it`s what he doesn`t do when he isn`t scoring that has me beyond frustrated. With Looch, there`s suggestions it has more to do with conditioning (which is no excuse at this stage of his career), with Horton........it`s pure laziness and a propensity to disappear which is exactly what we heard and discussed for a long time in many threads before he laced em up once for this team
Horton has been a far more productive player this year. He has 13 goals to 6.

Horton has been a far more productive player throughout his career. He has 198 goals to 96.

Now, I know you want to tell me how tough Milan Lucic is, and all about his "so unique it's invisible to the naked eye" skillset, but they don't score games that way in the NHL.

Your mancrush is bordering on delusional, Odaat.

Seriously, brother, you need to get a grip.

THE ARS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Merk57

As much as Lucic has been painful to watch this season, I still prefer to have him on my roster than Horton.

Lucic looked alot better today against FLA. He actually threw some weight around for a change.

The team as a whole has played much better the past 3 or 4 games regardless of what the scores have been. I think this team is turning a corner just in time for the playoffs.

Merk57 is offline   Reply With Quote