HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXVIII

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 12:49 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Boozer

vCash: 50
Wow, I had no clue that Lucic was making 6m per for the next 3 seasons. As much as I would love to have him, that's ridiculous.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:49 AM
David71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBuzz View Post
Uhhh.. why? How many do you need? Both Bieksa and Tanev are top-4 defensemen already that are going to be here for the next 3+ years. Corrado is developing nicely and is another potential top-4 defensemen.
insurance is always a +. who knows bieska might retire in a few years. so yeah.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
insurance is always a +. who knows bieska might retire in a few years. so yeah.
Guys like Bieksa don't want to retire; they're eventually forced to. Whether he goes out on his own accord, deciding to play overseas or be the next Mike Keane, is up to him.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I do not have enough faith in Alberts being consistent enough to handle a #6 spot, especially next to a rookie that will undoubtedly go through the occasional rough stretch as he is adjusting to the NHL. He is a very good #7 guy, but I don't want him in our starting lineup.

Couturier and Schenn both have cheap contracts which are extremely valuable next season, and would give us money to sign Roy to a nice contract. Then we could roll with Higgins/Roy/Kesler as our second line and Couturier or Schenn on our third line with Hansen/Kassian/Burrows/Jensen etc. We would be good down the middle, with depth, and have a kickass second line.

As much as I would like someone like Lucic on this team, he is far too inconsistent for his contract, and because he is a winger, I don't know if this is the best move for us. I also question if he would have chemistry with Kesler, who desperately needs a playmaker (unless we are planning on playing him with the twins).
Fair enough with Alberts. I think he has turned the corner and become the guy Gillis thought he was acquiring for that third pick...three years ago? But time will tell, during playoffs and if he's resigned as a six/seven guy.

No doubt ELC players are going to be cheaper, and yes, per point, certainly, but again, they are not the player Lucic, or others, are. My argument was more "theres a reason other players make more", rather then dismissing them entirely.

My pipe dream plan would have been with Roy, and possibly Kesler too. Kesler does need a playmaker if we are planning to use him offensively, and as much as Lucic is known as a banger, if you watch his play in the offensive zone, he can dish the puck very well. I'd consider him similar to Hansen in this regard, perhaps not quite as "pass first" in his mentality, but certainly more so then, say, Burrows, Higgins, Raymond or any other winger we try to use to get Kesler going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Garrison does not replace Edler, he replaced Salo.

That Bieksa stat is very misleading. The first time he got injured was during the Kesler injury, with no set d pairings and Hamhuis/Garrison both playing poorly. This one is with Tanev and Ballard injured as well and Alberts/Barker playing.
Outside of the blast from the point, I'd say Garrison is much closer to Edler's game then Salo.

There's a reason I didn't cite that stat. The recent time without Bieksa is also due to Tanev, our other righty, being out. Frankly I wouldn't want to compare the time without Bieksa to the time without Edler, because that would mean alternating games with one of them out.

Tying the two statements together, Garrison, or even Hamhuis, can fill in for Edler if he was hurt, or not playing well. We don't have someone that takes the elements of physicality/snarl, offense, defense and skating and put them together like Bieksa. Edler or Hamhuis may win the argument for best overall D, but Bieksa is...well irreplaceable. Thats how I feel anyway. We have better D, but we don't have another KB3.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:47 AM
IKEA

hey, as a general manager would be able to hire the coaching staff; would you as a GM rather have Ruffy, Boucher, or remain with AV, if say, the canucks are eliminated in the second round; 6 games?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKEA View Post
hey, as a general manager would be able to hire the coaching staff; would you as a GM rather have Ruffy, Boucher, or remain with AV, if say, the canucks are eliminated in the second round; 6 games?
Without a doubt AV but I'm one of the few AV supporters.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Ruff is likely waiting for a GM job so probably Boucher.

04-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Derek Roy ($5.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.400m) / Dale Weise ($0.677m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Mark Streit ($4.500m)
Ben Lovejoy ($0.650m) / Chris Tanev ($1.200m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Dan Ellis ($0.800m)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.292% of upper limit)
Alexander Edler ($0.050mó1.0%) Keith Ballard ($0.042mó1.0%) Roberto Luongo ($0.053mó1.0%) David Booth ($0.043mó1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,333,778; BONUSES: $450,000
CAP SPACE (27-man roster): $1,416,222

My boredom lineup:

Trade Luongo, Ballard and Booth for picks/prospects
Trade Edler to Philly for Couturier and 2013 1st (Currently #8 overall)
Sign Roy $30M/6yrs
Sign Streit $9M/2yrs
Sign Lovejoy $1.3M/2yrs
Sign Gordon $2.8M/2yrs
Sign Ellis 800K/1yr
Re-sign Tanev $2.4M/2yrs
Re-sign Ebbett 600K/1yr

Leaves space to acquire additional help at the deadline and flexibility to bring Schroeder and Corrado in and out of the line-up depending on play and/or injuries.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:07 PM
David71

dont need ebbett. gillis could probbaly find a better utility forward in the fa pool

Old
04-25-2013, 05:09 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
this, if we were to trade Edler, something around B Schenn/Couts would spark my interest . Still would need a cheap D back though to make sure Alberts isnt in our top 6.
Agreed. B.Schenn is 6'1" 190lbs, he'd be an awesome third line centre for us. Throw in his bro for the D coming back, and trade them Edler and Schroeder to even up the centres.

With the addition of Garrison, the emergence of Tanev, and with how good Corrado looks so far, we could definitely swing this trade.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:30 PM
JuniorNelson

Lucic has said he won't play here. Who'd have thought that defacing one church would have such far reaching consequences?

Old
04-25-2013, 07:00 PM
John Bender*

Milan Lucic can **** off if he "won't play here." Who's to say the Canucks want him? 6 million bucks per? LOL, WUT?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Red Haired Shanks

Vancouver Canucks off season game plan

What do you think the canucks will do this off season to get under the cap, who they would draft, if they make trades, who they sign, who they buy out etc... i am curious how people are anticipating this off season.
here is what I would do:

Trade G Roberto Luongo (retain 25%) and RW Anton Rodin(RFA) to Florida for C Shawn Matthais(RFA), LW Yoroslav Kosov, and a 2013 2nd round draft pick
-Florida's goaltending was a big problem this season. the vets of Theodore and Clemmensen were below average and the rookie Markstrom was extremely inconsistent. Markstrom is still a few years away from being a starter imo, he hasn't shown himself to be able to anchor a team. Luongo gives them 5-6 years of solid great goaltending allowing Markstrom to develop further maybe turn out like Schneider and Markstrom may never be as good as Luongo like everyone thinks. Florida doesnt loose much either. Matthais is expendable due to their depth at center. Huberdeau, Goc, Bjustad, Shore and Trocheck are all options for them and Weiss if he is re-signed. Kosov is a good winger who may be staying in Russia, but there is a chance he comes to the NHL. Rodin replaces Kosov on their depth chart, Rodin is more likely to stay in america, but Kosov is a slight upgrade on him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vancouver buys out or trades (for picks) D Keith Ballard and LW David Booth

Drafting 27th overall (im predicting a loss in the conference finals)
we draft C Nicolas Petan 5'9 165lbs. from Delta, BC. he is small but very skilled.

Signings

D Chris Tanev 4 years @ 2mill per
C Max Lapierre 4 years @ 1.25mill per
C Shawn Matthais 2 years @ 1.75mill per
C Jordan Schroeder 2 years @ 1.5mill per
RW Dale Weise 2 years 675 000 per
LW Tom Sestito 1 year 650 000
RW Darren Archibald 3 years @ 600 000 per
RW Steven Pinnizzotto 1 year 650 000
D Andrew Alberts 2 years @ 900 000 per
D Jim Vandermeer 1 year 600 000

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Jordan Schroeder ($1.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Tom Sestito ($0.650m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.250m) / Dale Weise ($0.675m)
Steve Pinizzotto ($0.650m) / Darren Archibald ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Andrew Alberts ($0.900m) / Jim Vandermeer ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)
Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (2.074% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($1.333mó25.0%)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,377,778; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,922,222

Old
04-25-2013, 09:59 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Haired Shanks View Post
What do you think the canucks will do this off season to get under the cap, who they would draft, if they make trades, who they sign, who they buy out etc... i am curious how people are anticipating this off season.
here is what I would do:

Trade G Roberto Luongo (retain 25%) and RW Anton Rodin(RFA) to Florida for C Shawn Matthais(RFA), LW Yoroslav Kosov, and a 2013 2nd round draft pick
-Florida's goaltending was a big problem this season. the vets of Theodore and Clemmensen were below average and the rookie Markstrom was extremely inconsistent. Markstrom is still a few years away from being a starter imo, he hasn't shown himself to be able to anchor a team. Luongo gives them 5-6 years of solid great goaltending allowing Markstrom to develop further maybe turn out like Schneider and Markstrom may never be as good as Luongo like everyone thinks. Florida doesnt loose much either. Matthais is expendable due to their depth at center. Huberdeau, Goc, Bjustad, Shore and Trocheck are all options for them and Weiss if he is re-signed. Kosov is a good winger who may be staying in Russia, but there is a chance he comes to the NHL. Rodin replaces Kosov on their depth chart, Rodin is more likely to stay in america, but Kosov is a slight upgrade on him.

we draft C Nicolas Petan 5'9 165lbs. from Delta, BC. he is small but very skilled.

Signings

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
------
That's a non-starter, especially when all we're getting in return is garbage.

That roster you suggested has way too much garbage. I question its ability to even make the playoffs.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:50 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That's a non-starter, especially when all we're getting in return is garbage.

That roster you suggested has way too much garbage. I question its ability to even make the playoffs.
Agreed, the only way Gillis agrees to retaining some of Luongo's salary/cap is if the Canucks are getting a really good return that includes a really good young player/prospect and a solid roster player in return

Old
04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post

Tying the two statements together, Garrison, or even Hamhuis, can fill in for Edler if he was hurt, or not playing well. We don't have someone that takes the elements of physicality/snarl, offense, defense and skating and put them together like Bieksa. Edler or Hamhuis may win the argument for best overall D, but Bieksa is...well irreplaceable. Thats how I feel anyway. We have better D, but we don't have another KB3.
But but but...we have a KB4 is that close enough?

Old
04-26-2013, 12:36 PM
IKEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Haired Shanks View Post
here is what I would do:

Signings

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
OTHER
------
really no improvement over this year's roster, plus everyone would be a year older. really hoping we lock up a 2C (e.g., Roy, Weiss) - gives more options up front.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
The way I see it we have $5M we can spend. This can be used towards re-signing Roy, bringing back a high priced player in a Luongo deal, signing a solid FA, or re-signing Raymond + depth forward/D. Personally I would go with bringing back Roy unless Iginla would be willing to come here at around that amount.
Where does the 5 mil come from? Ditching Booth + Ballard + Luongo?

Old
04-26-2013, 04:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Where does the 5 mil come from? Ditching Booth + Ballard + Luongo?
Indeed. That assumes no money coming back for any of them, but allows us to take back up to that much in those trades.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Moore Money
Registered Boozer

I don't know about you guys but I have 0 confidence in Gillis. He is running this organization into the ground with all his terrible moves.

He also likes to contradict himself by saying things like "players that give us the best chance to win will play" while having Ebbett in the lineup over Schroeder

also what is the deal with the "schneider injury"? is this some kind of plot to make him look smart for not trading Luongo? well he doesn't fool me. He started off as a good GM but he sure turned that around in a hurry..

Old
04-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I don't know about you guys but I have 0 confidence in Gillis. He is running this organization into the ground with all his terrible moves.

He also likes to contradict himself by saying things like "players that give us the best chance to win will play" while having Ebbett in the lineup over Schroeder

also what is the deal with the "schneider injury"? is this some kind of plot to make him look smart for not trading Luongo? well he doesn't fool me. He started off as a good GM but he sure turned that around in a hurry..
What have u done for me lately eh? Back to back presidents trophy winners Stanley cup finals another division win and only a couple points off 2nd when this team was missing 2/3rds of their 2nd line for over half the season but yea gillis is running this team into the ground

His only mistake so far this season is luongo and even then what's better for the team this season... Luongo or a couple draft picks?

Old
04-26-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I'd take Boucher now (yes, even today).

Old
04-26-2013, 06:15 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Indeed. That assumes no money coming back for any of them, but allows us to take back up to that much in those trades.
As disappointing as Booth has been, and I get angry when I think about the guy....you do have to wonder if they can find a player of that quality at 4.25 mil. If Roy is more what you are after.....how much will he cost? Will Roy get Cammaleri type money?

Booth is a big bodied fast player that when healthy is a good top 6 player. Problem is.........will he ever be healthy?

Old
04-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
As disappointing as Booth has been, and I get angry when I think about the guy....you do have to wonder if they can find a player of that quality at 4.25 mil. If Roy is more what you are after.....how much will he cost? Will Roy get Cammaleri type money?

Booth is a big bodied fast player that when healthy is a good top 6 player. Problem is.........will he ever be healthy?
That's not even really true. He was healthy in Florida and got demoted to the third line before they traded him for scraps. This year he couldn't score to save his life and got demoted out of the top 6 again. Personally I think he's a decent third liner and a great fourth liner. But you don't pay those guys over 4 million dollars.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:37 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
That's not even really true. He was healthy in Florida and got demoted to the third line before they traded him for scraps. This year he couldn't score to save his life and got demoted out of the top 6 again. Personally I think he's a decent third liner and a great fourth liner. But you don't pay those guys over 4 million dollars.
He had 12 games this year. Not enough sample size. In FLA he was always coming off an injury, no? He was unlucky not to score more this year and looked very good after getting some initial games in.

Closed Thread