HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could teams be looking to snipe Bruce "Butch" Cassidy from us this summer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2013, 01:30 AM
  #1
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,517
vCash: 500
Could teams be looking to snipe Bruce "Butch" Cassidy from us this summer?

I didn't think we would think this would be a possible thread back in October but here we are. The Bruins organization has the coach of the best team in the league (AHL) and some job openings are expected to come up this summer around the NHL.

That could spell trouble.

Personally, if we don't make it the conference finals and the P-Bruins go on a run... well, then I'm more than willing to give a big thank-you to Julien for all his hard work and then cut ties with him and go with a new face with new ideas.

That are working.

I don't think the Providence roster has been that overwhelming --he go some young pieces this year and certainly made the most of them even when we were going up against legit NHL talent during the lengthy lockout.

To me it is bigger than the continuous lack of PP or other issues we have right now --I feel like it is important that Seguin gets a different coach that may help him reach his potential. That isn't to say that Julien has not done good work with him, he has, but rather that it is my belief that all coaches have a shelf life and Julien is past expiry on his.

I hope I'm wrong on that and a long Cup run proves otherwise... the Chara window will not stay open too much longer.

Forgetting Julien (the thread isn't about him) --are you ready to roll with Cassidy next year? I was surprised that he has been coaching as long as he has (15 years?). No wonder the P-Bruins are lighting it up, the guy was an extremely talented PMD in his day --his knees don't turn to dust by 20 and he's maybe a household hockey name.

I'd assume we don't stand in his way, so if it comes down to losing him for nothing or promoting him to the Bruins head coach (ie. move on from Julien) which do you do?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:08 AM
  #2
kman22
Registered User
 
kman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 500
If it comes down to either promoting him to head coach in Boston or letting him leave this summer, I'd say so long.

kman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:58 AM
  #3
BruinsPortugal
Registered User
 
BruinsPortugal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portugal
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,008
vCash: 500
Wasnt he being heavily critized just a few minths ago? what changed? the team is that much better?

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:51 AM
  #4
cat400
Registered User
 
cat400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
It's funny how an All Star Goalie or All Star Closer can turn a perceived bad Hockey Coach / Baseball Manager into a good one.

Do the coaches make the players better or better players make coaches winners?

cat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:32 AM
  #5
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,986
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
It's funny how an All Star Goalie or All Star Closer can turn a perceived bad Hockey Coach / Baseball Manager into a good one.

Do the coaches make the players better or better players make coaches winners?
my reaction as well. AHL coaches are judged by how they develop the entire team and when team look for coaches they look beyond the pts total

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:40 AM
  #6
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,601
vCash: 500
What does Juliens contract look like, how many years left and at how much? Anyone know?

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:09 AM
  #7
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
If this team flops in the playoffs, a new coach is a requisite. Might as well be Butch. Can't go wrong with a nick name like that lol.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:48 AM
  #8
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
If this team flops in the playoffs, a new coach is a requisite. Might as well be Butch. Can't go wrong with a nick name like that lol.
Skeptical about whether or not his coaching approach will be different/improved since his stint behind the Cap bench, had a nice first year result, but was hardly a favourite of the players in his second if I recall correctly.

As it is with some players, some coaches are just stronger on the AHL front, developing etc..than they are at being able to garner results in the NHL, no idea if BC has learned enough to approach things differently nor do I think he can do what CJ`s been able to do which is often get more out of a sound, but elite absent lineup

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:00 AM
  #9
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Skeptical about whether or not his coaching approach will be different/improved since his stint behind the Cap bench, had a nice first year result, but was hardly a favourite of the players in his second if I recall correctly.

As it is with some players, some coaches are just stronger on the AHL front, developing etc..than they are at being able to garner results in the NHL, no idea if BC has learned enough to approach things differently nor do I think he can do what CJ`s been able to do which is often get more out of a sound, but elite absent lineup
Cassidy looks the same as CJ looked prior to coming to Boston. Do you forget he got canned in NJ right before the playoffs by one of the best GMs in the history of the NHL? Anyways, don't know much about Cassidy's style, so can't say if he is the right fit for this team. But I'd rather give another coach a shot with this team before I'd get rid of Lucic, Horton, Krejci, and/or Seguin.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:02 AM
  #10
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
Cassidy looks the same as CJ looked prior to coming to Boston. Do you forget he got canned in NJ right before the playoffs by one of the best GMs in the history of the NHL? Anyways, don't know much about Cassidy's style, so can't say if he is the right fit for this team. But I'd rather give another coach a shot with this team before I'd get rid of Lucic, Horton, Krejci, and/or Seguin.
Lou is one of best out there who`s won exactly nothing in how long?? And before their improbable run last season, they went from 07/08 like this

3 quarter final losses
1- DNQ, you can add another this year

And for "one of the best GM`s" out there, he`s shown he has struggled a ton to make any sense out of how to handle the Cap

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:05 AM
  #11
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
What does Juliens contract look like, how many years left and at how much? Anyone know?
Someone like OOG probably knows, but all that was released to the media was a "multi-year" extension.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:28 AM
  #12
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair
 
Shoebottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 7 steps from my can
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Lou is one of best out there who`s won exactly nothing in how long?? And before their improbable run last season, they went from 07/08 like this

3 quarter final losses
1- DNQ, you can add another this year

And for "one of the best GM`s" out there, he`s shown he has struggled a ton to make any sense out of how to handle the Cap
He still does better than you would expect. He gets players from nowhere and fields competetive teams when you wouldn't expect much from them. Like last year for example. His teams have been competative for almost 3 decades now.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:31 AM
  #14
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 34,180
vCash: 50
Awards:
You don't dump your coach because your minor league coach has become attractive. Especially if his name is Butch.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:36 AM
  #15
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
It's funny how an All Star Goalie or All Star Closer can turn a perceived bad Hockey Coach / Baseball Manager into a good one.

Do the coaches make the players better or better players make coaches winners?
Don Cherry always said: "show me a good goalie and I'll show you a good coach"

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
  #16
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,916
vCash: 500
It's great that Providence is having an outstanding season. The coaching staff benefits from success and could get poached out of Boston. This is normal.

The sentiment on this board until this season was that Cassidy and all the coaches in Providence were incompetent, couldn't develop prospects, blah, blah, blah when Providence had a mediocre record. So typical of the what have you done for me lately crowd.

Coach Julien recently became the number two Bruins coach in history and this team is in the playoffs, can take first place in the Northeast and second place in the East with a win tonight. Fire the bum!


Last edited by Alan Ryan: 04-21-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
  #17
misterjaggers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 500
I just hope that when it comes time to replace Cassidy, they don't just hire somebody's ex-player buddy with zero coaching experience. They need to conduct a search for the best qualified candidate.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
  #18
roflstomper
I don't row.
 
roflstomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
The guy needs a talented team to win, he's not gonna bring anything else out of players. Mediocre coach who won't be a loss at all.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:11 PM
  #19
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
No way you dump Julien because your AHL coach is doing well. Sure things out of the AHL don't exist, ask Guy Boucher. It wasn't that long ago that Cassidy was not thought highly of around here, how much of what changed was a phenomenal Swede in net?

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:34 PM
  #20
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,613
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
So Cassidy went from worst coach in the AHL to replacing Julien in just a year? The guy who ruined our prospects in 2011-12 ?

I think having one of the best players in the AHL (Bourque) and having perhaps four players who are full time NHL players next year (Spooner, Krug, Bartkowski, Svedberg) has a lot to do with Cassidy's fortune this year.

I don't know enough about Cassidy to say if he will be a good NHL coach or not, but what I do know is I am not going to look at his AHL record and come to that conclusion.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  #21
Alan Ryan
Registered User
 
Alan Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
So Cassidy went from worst coach in the AHL to replacing Julien in just a year? The guy who ruined our prospects in 2011-12 ?

I think having one of the best players in the AHL (Bourque) and having perhaps four players who are full time NHL players next year (Spooner, Krug, Bartkowski, Svedberg) has a lot to do with Cassidy's fortune this year.

I don't know enough about Cassidy to say if he will be a good NHL coach or not, but what I do know is I am not going to look at his AHL record and come to that conclusion.

Coach Cassidy has been coaching for 15 years, including two seasons as Head Coach of the Washington Capitals (2002-04). He was fired after 25 games into his second season. Washington had hired him after a successful season in the AHL. Sound familiar?

Bruce Cassidy is in his fourth season with the Providence Bruins and entering his first as the team's head coach. Known to many as "Butch", the 46-year-old Cassidy has 15 years of career coaching experience, highlighted by a stint as head coach of the National Hockey League's Washington Capitals from 2002-04. Cassidy's coaching resume is a lengthy one, having served as a head or assistant coach at a variety of levels from the NHL to the Ontario Hockey League.

The Washington Capitals took notice of Cassidy's work in the minors and made him their head coach in 2002-03, where he led the Caps to the postseason and a regular season record of 39-29-8-6. Washington fell, however, to the eventual Stanley Cup champion, Tampa Bay, in the first round. His tenure with the Capitals ended with a record of 47-45-9-6 over parts of two seasons.

Full biography: http://www.providencebruins.com/Team/CoachingStaff


Last edited by Alan Ryan: 04-21-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:34 PM
  #22
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
It's funny how an All Star Goalie or All Star Closer can turn a perceived bad Hockey Coach / Baseball Manager into a good one.

Do the coaches make the players better or better players make coaches winners?
I was going to say, Already!?? To the thread and the possibility.

A coach appears to turn around a team and GMs drop their pants. lol


Last edited by Rookie Chargers: 04-21-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:38 PM
  #23
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,881
vCash: 500
If I recall, in his only NHL coaching job, Cassidy was horrible with the Capitals and played a big part in dragging Jagr down to the point where Jagr had lost interest in being the best player in the NHL.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
  #24
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Coach Cassidy has been coaching for 15 years, including two seasons as Head Coach of the Washington Capitals (2002-04). He was fired after 25 games into his second season. Washington had hired him after a successful season in the AHL. Sound familiar?

Bruce Cassidy is in his fourth season with the Providence Bruins and entering his first as the team's head coach. Known to many as "Butch", the 46-year-old Cassidy has 15 years of career coaching experience, highlighted by a stint as head coach of the National Hockey League's Washington Capitals from 2002-04. Cassidy's coaching resume is a lengthy one, having served as a head or assistant coach at a variety of levels from the NHL to the Ontario Hockey League.

The Washington Capitals took notice of Cassidy's work in the minors and made him their head coach in 2002-03, where he led the Caps to the postseason and a regular season record of 39-29-8-6. Washington fell, however, to the eventual Stanley Cup champion, Tampa Bay, in the first round. His tenure with the Capitals ended with a record of 47-45-9-6 over parts of two seasons.

Full biography: http://www.providencebruins.com/Team/CoachingStaff
In 2002-03, the Lightning didn't win the Cup, they were a 6th seed and upset the 3rd seed Capitals in 6 games and Cassidy and Jagr butted heads all season long.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:25 PM
  #25
chizzler
Registered User
 
chizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 413
Country: Portugal
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
He can go if he wants. Who's next if he goes?

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.