HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Will Ovechkin get 16 consecutive seasons with 30 goals?

View Poll Results: Will Ovechkin get 16 consecutive seasons with 30 goals?
yes 18 45.00%
no 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Mulletman

vCash: 500
Will Ovechkin get 16 consecutive seasons with 30 goals?

Ovi just got his 8 straight 30 goal season. Can he go for the record of 16 straight? Or will the next lockout end his streak?

Mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:44 AM
skillhockey

sure and they've 10 year deal so no lockout before that.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Big Phil

No, I don't think he does. Only Jagr and Gartner got 15 and no one else. I think it just shows how difficult that record is to acheive. A lot of things have to go right. For example, Ovechkin has already come very close to slumping and going below 30 in the last couple of seasons. Lots can happen. Injuries, retirement, partial seasons, or just old fashioned age getting in the way of hitting 30 goals a year. This is why I cherish records like this and often jump in and defend Gartner's selection into the HHOF (Jagr does not need any help here). Because it is quite a task year in and year out to be able to accomplish this feat.

Remember, it was only a couple of months ago that most of us would fully agree that Ovechkin was on his way down on a slow decline and the thought of 30 goals at the age of 35 for him was something that no one would have suggested. To be honest, I have to wonder if Mike Bossy could have even hit 15 in a row.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:23 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
His shot alone will take him 30 + for many many years to come.. it's possible for him.. if he gets there however..

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:24 AM
WHATaboutLOVE

I voted no, but just because I don't think that he can stay healthy that long

WHATaboutLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:34 AM
tade

It is too tough, one bad and more serious injury and It's done (but of course, I don't wish him that). I voted No.

tade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
No, I don't think he does. Only Jagr and Gartner got 15 and no one else. I think it just shows how difficult that record is to acheive. A lot of things have to go right. For example, Ovechkin has already come very close to slumping and going below 30 in the last couple of seasons. Lots can happen. Injuries, retirement, partial seasons, or just old fashioned age getting in the way of hitting 30 goals a year. This is why I cherish records like this and often jump in and defend Gartner's selection into the HHOF (Jagr does not need any help here). Because it is quite a task year in and year out to be able to accomplish this feat.

Remember, it was only a couple of months ago that most of us would fully agree that Ovechkin was on his way down on a slow decline and the thought of 30 goals at the age of 35 for him was something that no one would have suggested. To be honest, I have to wonder if Mike Bossy could have even hit 15 in a row.
I have to agree here, injuries is the biggest possibility and with his style of play, and the huge amount of injuries in the NHL, staying healthy is his biggest concern.

But it's going to be fun to watch and see if Stamkos can keep pace as well.

Note for lockout seasons I prorate over an 82 game season but some might not which needs an asterisk then IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:49 AM
ricky0034

voted no

I could see it happening but 8 years is a long time and all it'll take is another slump or one serious injury and it's over

just seems much safer to bet against,especially since he'll be in his 30s in the back end of it

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote