HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Avs to join forces with 'Canes in Lowell

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
I don't like this. I really really really felt that if the flames are serious about krahn becoming a solid NHL goaltender they will give him a FULL YEAR as starter in the AHL. I really don't see krahn pushing out budaj as a full no.1 for an extended period of time...well then again budaj's consistency issues may lead to a split membership...but i dunno. I really just want to see krahn have the starting job up to himself. Budaj still has somethings he needs to work at in the AHL level, mainly consistency. But in general he is ready for a backup job.

This move really tells me that the flames don't see much in krahn outside of being a backup.
You do realize that with the Flames getting their own AHL affiliate in Omaha that Krahn will be the #1 goalie for the Omaha franchise, right?
Budaj will be splitting time in the AHL with Zepp (since Ward will more than likely be playing behind Gerber in Carolina).

Old
04-27-2005, 02:28 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
You do realize that with the Flames getting their own AHL affiliate in Omaha that Krahn will be the #1 goalie for the Omaha franchise, right?
Budaj will be splitting time in the AHL with Zepp (since Ward will more than likely be playing behind Gerber in Carolina).
youre right most likely about zepp, he's earned a shot - but the canes have to find a place for nastiuk this year as well...most likely peters the following year. im curious to see what happens to nastiuk - he seems to have played well enough to get a shot at the ahl level.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:11 PM
sunb

Thats a good move for Colorado. They don't have an ounce of potential NHL talent on their farm right now (other than Boychuk and Budaj).

This is a team that constantly produces talent like Vrbata, Liles, Svatos, Hejduk from low picks but looks like the farm is depleted now.

Only guys like solid NHL potential are Johnny Boychuk and Peter Budaj. The rest of the guys are all old AHL journeymen.

It was bad that guys like Liffton, Johansson and Gilbert were traded because they had some sleeper talent in them.

Wolski will eventually give this team a lift and guys like Richardson, Yip, Hemingway, etc could also make a difference one day

Old
04-27-2005, 04:22 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Fan
cool -- so I can keep watching Sean Collins live and in person (hopefully)
ugh, why would you want to?

Old
04-27-2005, 04:35 PM
john g

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
ugh, why would you want to?
UNH grad like myself, plus whatever people say about what he does on the ice -- he is exciting

Old
04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
johnny cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Fan
UNH grad like myself, plus whatever people say about what he does on the ice -- he is exciting
unless you're excited by defense

Old
04-27-2005, 04:53 PM
canadahockeygirl*

Quote:
I'm excited by people who know how to play... which until this year, Lowell has failed to provide.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:56 PM
johnny cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
I'm excited by people who know how to play... which until this year, Lowell has failed to provide.
and with the influx of Avs prospects, you won't see any next year either

Old
04-27-2005, 05:34 PM
canadahockeygirl*

I'm not arguing that the Avs prospects are any better; quite honestly I haven't even followed them. I'm saying that I don't think it could get any worse than what the Lowell teams produced from 2002 until now.

Old
04-27-2005, 05:42 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
I'm not arguing that the Avs prospects are any better; quite honestly I haven't even followed them. I'm saying that I don't think it could get any worse than what the Lowell teams produced from 2002 until now.
no one is really argueing whose got better anything - though im curious about what you think they produced this year. presently in a 2-2 series with the wolfpack, with a number of players having outstanding years.

Old
04-27-2005, 06:08 PM
canadahockeygirl*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
no one is really argueing whose got better anything - though im curious about what you think they produced this year. presently in a 2-2 series with the wolfpack, with a number of players having outstanding years.
I was responding to ryanlambert with that comment; for some reason here at work I have a hard time clicking the "quote message in reply?" option.

My first post said "which until this year...."

This was the first year I've been a season ticket holder (I've only been one since the 2002-2003 season though) that they haven't disappointed me with their product. I ended up giving away most of my tickets the first two years.

Old
04-27-2005, 06:35 PM
katodelder

OK, OK, lemme try to summarize all this affiliation movement. I hope I get all this right. And I realize I'll be mixing fact with rumour:

FACT: The NHL Maple Leafs move their AHL affiliate from St. John's to Toronto and they will be called the Marlies.

FACT: The NHL Flames reactivate their dormant AHL affiliate and relocate it from Saint John to Omaha and they will be called the Knights.

FACT: After splitting affiliations with the NHL Wild in Houston and the NHL Canadiens in Hamilton, the NHL Stars get their own AHL expansion affiliate which will begin operations in Des Moines and will be called the Iowa Stars.

FACT: The NHL Blues relocate their AHL affiliate from Worcester to Peoria and they will be called the Rivermen. The ECHL Peoria Rivermen will cease to exist.

FACT: The NHL Capitals switch their AHL affiliation from the Portland Pirates to the Hershey Bears.

FACT: The NHL Avalanche switch their AHL affiliation from the Hershey Bears to the Lowell Loch Monsters, which they will split with the NHL Hurricanes.

RUMOUR: The NHL Mighty Ducks may switch their AHL affiliation from the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks to the vacant Portland Pirates.

RUMOUR: Since every AHL franchise must have an NHL affiliation, The Cincinnati Mighty Ducks will cease to exist, dropping the AHL to 29 teams. The NHL Avalanche will eventually get a new expansion affiliate closer to Colorado in the near future to bring the AHL back to 30 teams.

How's that?

Old
04-27-2005, 08:38 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
bleh my bad, i screwed that up. sorry.

Then this move doesn't upset me the least then. Budaj will be getting big minutes just like he did here in hershey. I hope they format the AHL schedule in some sort of way so i can see him come back to hershey.

Old
04-27-2005, 09:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by katodelder
OK, OK, lemme try to summarize all this affiliation movement. I hope I get all this right. And I realize I'll be mixing fact with rumour:

FACT: The NHL Maple Leafs move their AHL affiliate from St. John's to Toronto and they will be called the Marlies.

FACT: The NHL Flames reactivate their dormant AHL affiliate and relocate it from Saint John to Omaha and they will be called the Knights.

FACT: After splitting affiliations with the NHL Wild in Houston and the NHL Canadiens in Hamilton, the NHL Stars get their own AHL expansion affiliate which will begin operations in Des Moines and will be called the Iowa Stars.

FACT: The NHL Blues relocate their AHL affiliate from Worcester to Peoria and they will be called the Rivermen. The ECHL Peoria Rivermen will cease to exist.

FACT: The NHL Capitals switch their AHL affiliation from the Portland Pirates to the Hershey Bears.

FACT: The NHL Avalanche switch their AHL affiliation from the Hershey Bears to the Lowell Loch Monsters, which they will split with the NHL Hurricanes.

RUMOUR: The NHL Mighty Ducks may switch their AHL affiliation from the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks to the vacant Portland Pirates.

RUMOUR: Since every AHL franchise must have an NHL affiliation, The Cincinnati Mighty Ducks will cease to exist, dropping the AHL to 29 teams. The NHL Avalanche will eventually get a new expansion affiliate closer to Colorado in the near future to bring the AHL back to 30 teams.

How's that?

As far as I understand, Kat, Omaha is the 30th franchise in the AHL THE 29TH with a single affiliate, the AHL has 28 teams, 27 actually are active (3 duals) Iowa was given a 1 year deferral because the Iowa Events Center was not completed in time for The Iowa franchise to compete this year so Dallas signed a dual agreement for this season as Iowa continued to organize its operation for its inaugural season this fall but Iowa hasn't played a game yet or is in a division as of yet....

the dual is Lowell this year and next year.... the others are Hamilton and Houston which with the Aeros elimination ends Dallas' tenure THERE AS WELL AS THE Bulldogs swept by Rochester ends Dallas tenure there as well.

so we do have 30 teams 29 single affiliates and Lowell

Fact: St. John's is alive until the elimination by Manitoba, then drops to the Q, and Toronto Marlies begin play both have websites active...

I do not know if Knights is the team name in Omaha yet AHL Boards 2 is calling them the Omaha to-be-decideds UNTIL THEIR website is announced to know or when the AHL.com actually says what their name is even this site references as just Omaha, NE....

and when Anaheim comes here with Colorado's move to Lowell ends any chances of the Cincinnati franchise landing with Colorado now or in the future cause the AHL RARELY AWARDS Expansion teams and the AHL has denied or will not entertain expansion applications it has to be an existing team leaving their market for Colorado to have their A franchise near them

Last edited by CHRDANHUTCH: 04-27-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old
04-28-2005, 05:31 AM
john g

Quote:
nope - i'd rather see a 8-7 game then 2-1

Old
04-28-2005, 05:49 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Nice combo of teams for you, bleedgreen

Old
04-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
What prospects?
i'll take 2 stanley cups than 10 prospects

Old
04-28-2005, 08:33 AM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Color@do @v@l@nche
i'll take 2 stanley cups than 10 prospects
I'd take the chance of cups and contending down the road rather than being the worst team in teh league after all your stars retire

Old
04-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
I'd take the chance of cups and contending down the road rather than being the worst team in teh league after all your stars retire

Oh come now... the Avs will be far from the worst team in the league.. even if Sakic, Blake, and Forsberg never played another game for us....

A) thats roughly 30 million to spend on UFA to fill the gaps, and there are bound to be players willing to take that money(not taking into account CBA crap cause their aint one)...

B) the tallent left is still respectable

Old
04-28-2005, 12:01 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Who's to say that all of your prospects will turn to gold and that you will contend down the line? If you want to live in the future, so be it. This isn't Back to the Future where you can say that your team will be a cup contender for the next x amount of years and win a cup in x years. The future is completely uncertain.

Personally, I'd rather live in the present, have a couple of rings on my hand and worry about the future later.

Old
04-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
There will not be an unaffiliated team next season end of discussion it's not allowed after Worcester's experiment in 1994-95....
But that is what I'm saying about the AHL potentially having a team go dormant for next season. With the AHL now at 30 teams, no joint affiliations should be possible unless an NHL team had two AHL farm teams. With Colorado sharing Lowell with Carolina that currently leaves Portland without a parent. As katodelder pointed out, most likely an NHL team, be it Anaheim or San Jose pulling out of Cincinnatti or Cleveland to go to Portland which simply will leave a different AHL franchise without affiliation.

What then? Clearly one market will get the shaft and be mothballed for a year. By the sounds of it, it will be one of the Ohio franchises. Colorado then being the only NHL team without an AHL partner will have to buy or align with the dormant team and then, supposively move them to Colorado to "bump up" the Eagles.

Old
04-29-2005, 07:40 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot
But that is what I'm saying about the AHL potentially having a team go dormant for next season. With the AHL now at 30 teams, no joint affiliations should be possible unless an NHL team had two AHL farm teams. With Colorado sharing Lowell with Carolina that currently leaves Portland without a parent. As katodelder pointed out, most likely an NHL team, be it Anaheim or San Jose pulling out of Cincinnatti or Cleveland to go to Portland which simply will leave a different AHL franchise without affiliation.

What then? Clearly one market will get the shaft and be mothballed for a year. By the sounds of it, it will be one of the Ohio franchises. Colorado then being the only NHL team without an AHL partner will have to buy or align with the dormant team and then, supposively move them to Colorado to "bump up" the Eagles.
Rumor has it that Utah is lookin to sell and drop a level into the ECHL west. They could potentially sell to Colorado, go dormant, and Phoenix affiliate with Cincy. Cleveland I believe is owned by San Jose, so I doubt SJ goes elsewhere to affiliate without movin that franchise completely.

Old
04-29-2005, 07:46 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Rumor has it that Utah is lookin to sell and drop a level into the ECHL west. They could potentially sell to Colorado, go dormant, and Phoenix affiliate with Cincy. Cleveland I believe is owned by San Jose, so I doubt SJ goes elsewhere to affiliate without movin that franchise completely.
This isn't completely true. From what I have heard, the story is that the Ellman ownership group no longer wants to operate a hockey franchise at any level and only wants to lease the arena. That being said, the Utah hockey franchise is up for sale.

The most common rumor going around is that an ownership group in Worcester is in negotiations to purchase the franchise rights and move the team to Worcester.

That being said, most likely, there will not be an AHL affiliate in Utah this season since Colorado appears to be ready to split Lowell and Phoenix would have their affiliate in Worcester.

Closed Thread