HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Junior equipment questions - need advise what to buy?

Old
04-20-2013, 02:25 AM
pix530

vCash: 500
Junior equipment questions - need advise what to buy?

Try to choose new and better equipment for young player. He is 7.5 years old big guy )

Helmet. Currently use Bauer 7500 (bought used) happy with it. Want to upgrade due to expire date. Will be Misison Intake a good one? Good ventilation is a vial feature.

Shin Guards. Use Joffa SG 1000 10". Happy but Need size 12".

Which ones can you recommend? Look at the following: Eason 65S, Reebok 5K

Skates. Use Bauer Suprime One.6. A little bit concerned about vapors as know they are more narrow. More concerned about Easton, esp right size. Narrow foot.

Choose between Easton EQ50/40/30/55S/S12 and bauer X50/40/30 X4

Gloves. Currently EQ10. Worn. Look at Warrior Bully, Mission Boss/Commander, Mission Axiom T8, Reebok 5000, Easton EQ30/S65

Shoulder Pads. Last upgrade here. Use larger size of Easton EQ10. Dont look at better protection (this worked great). Look at light pads and ...big head should fit well )

Thank you for reading and advice!

Any questions - welcome to ask.

pix530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Bengerm77

My brand new mission intake is set to "expire" in november of this year. You'll probably get more mileage out of a newer model of helmet.

Bengerm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:06 PM
AIREAYE

Helmets don't expire, that's the HECC date that the certification runs until. Irrelevant if you play in Canada.

Get the kid the best fitting helmet regardless of price, you can save $$ on the other pieces of gear.

Other than that, see what fits well.

Check the Gear, Stick and Skate guides up top.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:23 PM
tikkanen5rings*

buy second hand.
It's an endless money pit.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:24 PM
tikkanen5rings*

8 year old's don't need pro equipment, no matter what you say.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:33 PM
tikkanen5rings*

I played 4 years of junior hockey with an -84 Cooper and I was born 86.
It's nothing but ********, these new better sticks, lighter gear, safer helmets.
These are not gonna make or brake your kid.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:35 PM
AIREAYE

No one said he needs pro gear...he's 8 lol

Old
04-20-2013, 06:38 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
No one said he needs pro gear...he's 8 lol
I know but I'm really drunk right now.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:04 PM
AIREAYE

LOOL that's awesome, a manic-depressive Finn.

But it's 4/20...

Old
04-20-2013, 08:12 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
LOOL that's awesome, a manic-depressive Finn.

But it's 4/20...
the **** you know about junior hockey anyways you Chinese person.
I'm trying to provide good parts of the Finnish hockey school here

Old
04-20-2013, 08:28 PM
AIREAYE

Haha I wasn't insulting you.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:29 PM
tikkanen5rings*

It's more about dad being your team mate.
Help with the wrist shot, wich is really important.
Skate with your son.
Try to dangle him and have him dangle you.
What the **** has hockey become if you need the latest equipment.
Pretty far.
If you ask me.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:15 AM
pix530

Bengerm77, OK I see what you mean! Thanks.

AIREAYE, True and yep we play in Canada. However our association requires helmet not to be expired. Same for other clubs where he plays.
The main concern about current helmet is sweating.
We tried Reebok and it fits really well. We cant try Intake (no one in LHS)

Jarry Curry, I am not against second hand and most of stuff is second hand. But intermediate level second hand here cost same price as new equipment in US. SO why should not we order from there?
Also if you understand the equipment - I am not talking and not asking about top lines. I want some upgrades from entry-level to intermediate. Nothing more than that )

"Skate with your son"
- I do. This topic is not about development but if you wish, ice hockey and skating together improved him a lot. Its where we started and I hope this will not be finished soon )
- Also I allow him to play with older kids, this is another way of improvement. He did well with 1-2 years older pretty good players, and came back to his team he was just amazing. Dont want to say he matched those selected AAA players but he was able to compete and not bad. Still those guys (some of them) are excellent and I hope my son can be close to their level next year.

"What the **** has hockey become if you need the latest equipment."
- Again, I am not talking about latest lines such as Mako, Stealth, APX, Total One etc. Those are not required and would cost me a lot of money. Cant disagree. My subj is about medium price-quality gear.

Also its totally my idea, son is happy to play as is.
He is not equipment fan, he is hockey fan so he sleeps with stick and use it everywhere he can.
He never asked me to upgrade. I also tried to explain in topic why we need upgrade here and there.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:59 AM
AIREAYE

Huh, which associations are those? If they pay attention to the HECC sticker, then they are mistaken and you should let them know that.

Please refer to the following : http://cdn.agilitycms.com/hockey-can...stickers_e.pdf

If the Reebok fits him the best, then get the Reebok helmet. The head and brain are the most important and thus, the most money should be allowed towards that piece. If you are concerned about sweat, try a skull cap. Your main focus should be on fit above all else.

No need to buy from the states, there's enough selection here and costs are lower if not the same if you factor everything in.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:01 PM
pix530

Quote:
which associations are those?
- Give you 2 examples - bmha, mvrhl

However I'd like to add that it is not strictly enforced so no argue about that.

Quote:
Your main focus should be on fit above all else
- I agree, but he is ok for everything. You can put him in very simple one and top one and he will be happy with both. It does not matter for him at all.

Quote:
No need to buy from the states, there's enough selection here and costs are lower if not the same if you factor everything in.
- This is not true, sorry. I'd like to buy here but selection is minimal and pricing...At least +50% sometimes more.
- Want example just from yesterday - Bishop HS is closing forever, so they have massive sale today is last day. So it took me 1 hour to drive there and...Ok selection was limited due to their mass sale...But their final no return prices - most where about same or a little bit higher than HM. I checked couple of items just from my Iphone and... At least you overpay taxes and couple of bucks.

If you just go to LHS with no blowout final super sale you easily can pay double price.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:31 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix530 View Post
- Give you 2 examples - bmha, mvrhl

However I'd like to add that it is not strictly enforced so no argue about that.

- I agree, but he is ok for everything. You can put him in very simple one and top one and he will be happy with both. It does not matter for him at all.

- This is not true, sorry. I'd like to buy here but selection is minimal and pricing...At least +50% sometimes more.
- Want example just from yesterday - Bishop HS is closing forever, so they have massive sale today is last day. So it took me 1 hour to drive there and...Ok selection was limited due to their mass sale...But their final no return prices - most where about same or a little bit higher than HM. I checked couple of items just from my Iphone and... At least you overpay taxes and couple of bucks.

If you just go to LHS with no blowout final super sale you easily can pay double price.
Are you in Barrie? You should make trips to GTA stores if there's nothing good in your area. How about Source for Sports? Sportchek?

The BMHA requires CHA approved helmets, which in turn, need to be CSA approved. No mention of HECC, as expected. I think you were confused about that.

http://www.owha.on.ca/pdf/AnnualRepo...ON-HELMETS.pdf

Old
04-22-2013, 12:39 PM
pix530

AIREAYE, Thank you for advice. I am in Burnaby and they have same policy. I am not concerned.