HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Hossa, Heatley, Spezza and Nash......Oh my

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2005, 09:01 AM
sluggo*

vCash: 500
Hossa, Heatley, Spezza and Nash......Oh my

I heard on Fan590 today that the agents of several young NHL players, including Marian Hossa, Danny Heatley, Jason Spezza, and Rick Nash are..... I guess fighting would be the right word, to get their players declared UFA's after June 1.

The logic is, since players over 31 year's of age who's contracts expire on June 1 will be UFA's (because their clubs can not offer them new contracts or extentions with no CBA) that players under 31 years of age who do not recieve qualifing offers by the June 1 date should also become UFA's.

Last edited by sluggo*: 04-27-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old
04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

What chaos that would produce.

I sure hope it happens.

Old
04-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

It's nice to imagine the possibilities for our team in particular, but I don't think chaos like that is something the NHL wants.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartigan
I heard on Fan590 today that the agents of several young NHL players, including Marian Hossa, Danny Heatley, Jason Spezza, and Rick Nash are..... I guess fighting would be the right word, to get their players declared UFA's after June 1.

The logic is, since players over 31 year's of age who's contracts expire on June 1 will be UFA's (because their clubs can not offer them new contracts or extentions with no CBA) that players under 31 years of age who do not recieve qualifing offers by the June 1 date should also become UFA's.
So pretty much start the league over? Minus the players who's contracts don't expire June 1st. Interesting, but unless the league doesn't run for another year or two, would they have time to have it decided in the courts? Seeing how June 1st is 30 some odd days away, I doubt it.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:04 AM
BuppY

how about a draft from a scratch.. every player thas under the NHLPA be declared in the draft and teams have a lottery which will declare the draft order. whoaa this would be fun.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:06 AM
BuppY

just to tell you guys all Nashers favorite team is the Leafs and he wants play for the Leafs one day.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:07 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
It's nice to imagine the possibilities for our team in particular, but I don't think chaos like that is something the NHL wants.
Quote:
"We could very well see the largest pool of young unrestricted free agent talent on the market in sports history," said Calgary-based agent J.P. Barry, co-managing director of IMG Hockey. "In addition to draft-age players such as (Sidney) Crosby, (Gilbert) Brule, (Mike) Richards and (Jeff) Carter being available, you can add a few hundred other free agents in the prime of their careers to the list of players available to any team. There are less than 300 players under contract for the 2005-06 season. .
Look Pep

Leaf fans are going to take a beating because of my thread and feelings many months ago..

Old
04-27-2005, 10:11 AM
mydnyte

Scap the entire league(NHL), declare bankrupcy and buy out the rights to the WHA and impliment the hard-cap and linkage they want, let all players become free agents and sign wherever they want/can.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
just to tell you guys all Nashers favorite team is the Leafs and he wants play for the Leafs one day.
Rick Nash ...... Mats Sundin .... Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza...Sidney Crosby....Jeff Carter

Don't like the looks of that ..

I hope Bettman knows what he's doing, because if this is his goal then then I may be willing to throw my support behind him in the New NHL ???

Old
04-27-2005, 10:15 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
the Leafs will sign him when he's 36 and recovering from 4 concussions and has had 5 knee operations.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:22 AM
mooseOAK*

For the few players that will benefit from UFA status there will be more that will probably make less money on the free market, therefore I don't the the NHLPA pushing for this.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:27 AM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Rick Nash ...... Mats Sundin .... Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza...Sidney Crosby....Jeff Carter

Don't like the looks of that ..

I hope Bettman knows what he's doing, because if this is his goal then then I may be willing to throw my support behind him in the New NHL ???
are we getting a little too greedy now? we should leave something for the others

Old
04-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
are we getting a little too greedy now? we should leave something for the others
What do you mean Buppy ??

There will be hundreds of UFA .. I only pick a few Fav for the Leafs ..

While you know I am just joking .. but for a team like Toronto focussing on a Carter and Spezza really benefits them in the future.. While other teams scramble to get Kovalchuk, Thornton, Hossa, Iginla, signed ..

I think the one thing that would happen is that very few prize UFA would be knocking on Carolina or Nashville or Columbus, Florida door for a deal though .. That should send a huge message to the NHL and Bettman ..

Would be really interesting to see the direction teams would take if this happened .. Actually if the Union Decertifies then all players become UFA .. This is even better as Leafs keep Sundin, Kaberle, Tucker and Stajan, Carlo, etc all on multi year deals and just need to fill in the blanks ..

Old
04-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Look Pep

Leaf fans are going to take a beating because of my thread and feelings many months ago..
I hate to break this to you big guy, but Leaf fans have ALREADY been taking a beating because of your threads and feelings.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
the Leafs will sign him when he's 36 and recovering from 4 concussions and has had 5 knee operations.

Alas, this is closer to the truth of the matter.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
I hate to break this to you big guy, but Leaf fans have ALREADY been taking a beating because of your threads and feelings.
Hey Pep

That is why I said that .. I saw those AHL and other threads that paint all Leaf Fans with the same brush ..

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=13

... but that happens for lots of things though .. No different then jealous fans saying All UFA want to be Leafs for example ..

My friends here on the Leafs board have enough common sense to separate a discussion on the possibility of WHAT IF ?? type question without meaning that it is fact .. 2003 player rights is the perfect example .. How can guarantee contracts be expiring and not player rights ..

No one has ever been able to answer that HYPOTHETICAL question I posed here first.. in fact all sorts of writers, agents , etc keep throwing more fuel on the fire.

but you have admit .. Articles like this one today means its a possibility that UFA happens for some .. particularly if in my case Jeff Carter's own agent JP Barry is quoted directly that he plans on taking this to court in no CBA is signed ..

I know why he said it of course as it strengthens the NHLPA position in CBA negotiations and its intended to divide the owners further by the threat.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Hey Pep

That is why I said that .. I saw those AHL and other threads that paint all Leaf Fans with the same brush ..

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=13

... but that happens for lots of things though .. No different then jealous fans saying All UFA want to be Leafs for example ..

My friends here on the Leafs board have enough common sense to separate a discussion on the possibility of WHAT IF ?? type question without meaning that it is fact .. 2003 player rights is the perfect example .. How can guarantee contracts be expiring and not player rights ..

No one has ever been able to answer that HYPOTHETICAL question I posed here first.. in fact all sorts of writers, agents , etc keep throwing more fuel on the fire.

but you have admit .. Articles like this one today means its a possibility that UFA happens for some .. particularly if in my case Jeff Carter's own agent JP Barry is quoted directly that he plans on taking this to court in no CBA is signed ..

I know why he said it of course as it strengthens the NHLPA position in CBA negotiations and its intended to divide the owners further by the threat.

In the NHL board thread on this a Flyer fan says that Carter's agent has directly said he will be a Flyer.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
In the NHL board thread on this a Flyer fan says that Carter's agent has directly said he will be a Flyer.
Until June 1st rolls around he has no other choice as who owns his rights is clear and his agent is trying to get him a deal should a New CBA come in time ..

Also Carter could be a Flyer .. This is about an agent trying to get his client the most money possible .. Under the old CBA a player like Phaneuf got signed ..Allowing him a base $ 1.25 -1.5 mil base with unlimited signing and performance bonuses to earn BIG BUCKS .. The new CBA currently has drastically reduced both the base to 850K and very limited bonuses and forcing them to be included in the Cap figure .. Since the Flyers screwed Carter over by not signing him under the old deal, he will now try to get a similar deal, just going a different route ..

So if JP Barry Carter's agent and all the other players get ruled UFA they could still go to the team that drafted them IF THEY OFFER THE BEST deal, and as a UFA Carter could earn far more then a Entry Level player under a NEW CBA ..

Old
04-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Egil

This will never happen. Even if these guys won a court case, all it takes is the NHLPA and NHL agreeing to return those rights to their previous teams for this to be done. It may give the NHLPA a bit more leverage in negotiations, but this isn't a realistic scenario for the league.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:43 AM
SENSible1*

This would be great.

Especially when the league elects to opt for honouring the contracts without the rollback and set the cap at 45 M.

The Leafs have 61.3 M committed to 19 players.

Have fun dismantling your roster and then sitting on the sidelines while everyone else feasts on cheap free agents.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:44 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

So if JP Barry Carter's agent and all the other players get ruled UFA they could still go to the team that drafted them IF THEY OFFER THE BEST deal, and as a UFA Carter could earn far more then a Entry Level player under a NEW CBA ..
He would still be limited by the entry level contract amount agreed to under the new CBA.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:45 AM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil
This will never happen. Even if these guys won a court case, all it takes is the NHLPA and NHL agreeing to return those rights to their previous teams for this to be done. It may give the NHLPA a bit more leverage in negotiations, but this isn't a realistic scenario for the league.
Ahh c'mon Egil. Let them continue with the fantasy.

The funny thing is that it gives SOME players more leverage, but the PA as a whole wants no part of this and won't be using it.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
This would be great.

Especially when the league elects to opt for honouring the contracts without the rollback and set the cap at 45 M.

Have fun sitting on the sidelines while everyone else feasts on cheap free agents.
Contracts are ticking .. Leafs will have only 8 players under contract come July 1st, 2005 .. Same magical day the UFA season opens, or at least would have.

Since 8 players does not make a full team so going to need a few more to fill and NHL roster, when the UFA market does open again ..

Old
04-27-2005, 11:46 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
This would be great.

Have fun sitting on the sidelines while everyone else feasts on cheap free agents.
Don't mean to get in the way of your sweaty fantasies but it ain't happening. Even worse, I believe that there will be grandfather clause on existing contracts as a concession to the players to get a deal done.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
This would be great.

Yeah, because that's really going to happen.

Closed Thread