HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If You Normally Buy Season Tickets ...

Old
04-07-2013, 11:40 AM
WalkerBabe

vCash: 500
If You Normally Buy Season Tickets ...

... will you do so for next season if the spiral continues? Geez, I'm upset over having $700 worth of tickets fora few of the games that we have left; I can't imagine how you STHs feel!

I actually DREAD going to the next three games that I'm holding tickets for. When JR added the new guys and we were doing well, for the first time, my DH said ... "maybe we should look at season tickets for next year."

Go ahead and tell me I'm a bad fan, but it's not like pulling for a college or high school favorite team. An evening at PNC is expensive, even if you sit up high and don't overindulge, and if you go LL, like we don't, that's our entertainment/food budget. These guys are pros who are supposed to give us something for our money ... I don't mean a Stanley Cup but at least making the playoffs occasionally!

I have to say this is the worst I've felt about this team since I got interested in the sport in 2001 - 2002.

So, are you STHs going to renew for next year?

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Already have but as I said in the GDT last night, I plan on calling them up and diplomatically stating that they need to roll back their ticket hike for renewing STHs for this coming season.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Had 'em the last two years, not renewing.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:57 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

My wife and I have already renewed. I may do as Dave suggests and call a STH rep to politely as them to reconsider the price hike, but when Karmanos talked about a future price hike long before the puck dropped, I figured it was coming anyway.

As for this voting with the wallet nonsense, what exactly has it done in the past? Offhand I can think that it only convinced Bill Wirtz to not have a local TV contract so fans couldn't watch the games at home, helped ASG justify their desire to sell and relocate the Thrashers, helped lead to the Expos moving to DC, convinced Bob Irsay to move the Colts from Baltimore, and may help justify the 'yotes unfortunately going elsewhere too.

To me, sports fandom is sticking with your team through thick and thin. It's never all sunshine and rainbows. As most here know I'm also a fan of Pittsburgh sports. On one hand, you have the Steelers. They usually make the playoffs and, since the AFL-NFL merger, have been a dominant team in the NFL's power structure. They usually do a good job of identifying talent and holding onto core players and rarely goes out and pays a player or a coach more than they're actually worth. It's easy to be a Steelers fan because you know that even if you have a subpar year, it won't take long to right the ship. To an old school fan, like my dad was, it wasn't always that good. He remembered years when the Steelers were awful and when, during World War II, the team actually had to combine with the Eagles and the Cardinals just to be able to compete.

Then there are the Pens. They've gone through good and bad, a few near relocations, there were years when they won the Cup with teams that seemed to be filled with Hall of Famers (Lemieux, Francis, Jagr, Coffey, Recchi) and then there were years where they iced AHL quality lineups filled with names that only a long-suffering Penguins fan can recall (Pirjeta, Abid, Rita, Boileau, Lefebvre). It's easy to be a Pens fan now - just look at all the teens and 20-somethings that show up to Canes-Pens games with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Fleury jerseys - but they only know the good times. When things are really bad, like they were when the Penguins played in Mellon Arena when it was functionally obsolete and iced a team whose leading scorer was Dick Tarnstrom, will those same fans still be around? Or will they trade in their Sid and Geno jerseys for the jersey of whomever hockey's next big thing is? So while it's easy now, it hasn't always been easy.

Then, you have the Pirates. When it comes to Pirates basebalL I haven't seen a winning season OR the playoffs in 21 years. There are adults in Pittsburgh who have never seen a Pirates team finish above .500. Their best talent routinely goes via boneheaded trades or is allowed to walk in free agency. There's been nepotism (Former GM Cam Bonifay drafting his son Josh. Josh never got above AA. Granted, Josh was a 24th round pick, but still - nepotism is a dirty word around here), reluctant/silent ownership, and poor GMs. But things are starting to look up. We inch closer and closer to .500 and I know that soon we'll be a winning team again.

The TL;DR version - losing streaks, losing seasons, and slumps are part of being a sports fan. Yes they players get paid well, but so do the guys on the other team. Holding money back does nothing but maybe convince an owner with an itchy trigger finger to dial up Mayflower for a middle of the night relocation. Stick with the team and when it comes out of the dark times, it makes a championship run feel all the better.

I renewed my seats. I'll do it again next year (barring any change in financial circumstances). Why? Because I'm a fan and I know with the good times there will inevitably be some bad.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:47 PM
sheriff bart

I cancelled mine this season when the lockout reached Thanksgiving. I do believe in voting with my wallet because it's the only vote i get in this. I had written letters to PK, JR, Fehr, and Bettman explaining my position and that they should be able to get a deal done. Sure enough, it took until the new year to get the deal done that we all knew was workable.

As for the play this season, they haven't given me reason to jump back on board for next heat as a STH. I'll continue to cruise StubHub and buy $15 lower lever tickets for some games.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post

He remembered years when the Steelers were awful.

Then there are the Pens.

Then, you have the Pirates. .

I lived in the Burgh from 98 to 00

Cordell Stewart was the QB, that was always horrible.

I stayed up drinking watching that ridiculously long game, Tugnut had a 100 saves, or something. Mellon Arena was always a fun venue, never been their for when the top was open though.

I went to the last home opener for the Pirates in 3 Rivers

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:52 PM
dammit100

Quote:
The TL;DR version - losing streaks, losing seasons, and slumps are part of being a sports fan. Yes they players get paid well, but so do the guys on the other team. Holding money back does nothing but maybe convince an owner with an itchy trigger finger to dial up Mayflower for a middle of the night relocation. Stick with the team and when it comes out of the dark times, it makes a championship run feel all the better.

I renewed my seats. I'll do it again next year (barring any change in financial circumstances). Why? Because I'm a fan and I know with the good times there will inevitably be some bad.
couldn't agree more.

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:53 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
I lived in the Burgh from 98 to 00

Cordell Stewart was the QB, that was always horrible.

I stayed up drinking watching that ridiculously long game, Tugnut had a 100 saves, or something. Mellon Arena was always a fun venue, never been their for when the top was open though.

I went to the last home opener for the Pirates in 3 Rivers
Stewart was rough but he was still better than Neil O'Donnell.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Puck Don't Lie

Of course. I support this team through thick and thin.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes. Watching hockey with poor results still beats the hell out of watching no hockey, IMO.

04-07-2013, 05:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Renewal package is still sitting there, un-responded-to, as it has been throughout the debacle of the past 3 weeks.

I'll respond eventually, I think, but I'm waiting for a day when it actually feels good to do so.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Also, FWIW, buying tickets is what makes you a constituent in the organization. Like it or not, the volume of your voice correlates to the investment that you put on the table each year.

For those of us who are in a geographical and financial position to make that investment each year, refusing to do so is more than an act of protest. I'd liken it to someone who stops donating to their alma mater because they don't like the football coach. Pulling your support from the institution won't fix anything. The solution, if anything, is to get MORE involved so that you get substantial access to the decision-makers and a better look "under the hood" of the front office. Make yourself a stranger, and you'll simply be treated like one.

Remember that you're dealing with millionaires and billionaires. They don't think in terms of "oh no, we might lose that $10,000, we better shape up!"

Old
04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

That's nice and all, but some of us season tickets represent a VERY substantial portion of our disposable income - plus, in my case, tons of driving and gas too. In my case, I've decided to allocate that money to things that give me more happiness/$ than 'Canes hockey has this year. It's not about making a statement, I'm simply making a rational financial decision. I was on the fence before the price hikes - those pushed into nearly "I can't afford this even if I wanted to" territory for me.

Last edited by Zombie Mike Murphy: 04-07-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
That's nice and all, but some of us season tickets represent a VERY substantial portion of our disposable income - plus, in my case, tons of driving and gas too. In my case, I've decided to allocate that money to things that give me more happiness/$ than 'Canes hockey has this year. It's not about making a statement, I'm simply making a rational financial decision. I was on the fence before the price hikes - those pushed into nearly "I can't afford this even if I wanted to" territory for me.
That's fair too, after all it's a personal financial decision for everyone. It shouldn't be a blind decision by any means. My point is simply that refusing to buy tickets as a "message" isn't going to work, and is more likely to have an opposite effect. Beyond that, it's up to everyone to decide how to spend their own discretionary income.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:38 PM
WalkerBabe

I don't like to spend money and then feel miserable after I've dropped between $150 and $200 for an evening for two. That's just me ... everyone else has to do what's right for them. There is no right or wrong. I'm not talking here about them needing to make the playoffs every year or win another SC any time soon ... I'd be happy if they'd won 3 or 4 of the last ten they've lost. I don't ENJOY feeling miserable ... I WOULDN'T rather see bad hockey than none.

The NHL is a business, and I don't give blind loyalty to a business. I have to believe that PK & JR care enough to give us a team that wins sometimes anyway ... just that. Then I'll buy a lot of tickets again.

If a band gives consistently bad performances, you complain and don't go to their concerts. I don't see the NHL games as being entirely different.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:01 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Yeah, if everyone in your city stops supporting your mythical ****** band, the band will stop touring in your city.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:31 PM
wallym

If you aren't enjoying it, just don't buy more tickets. There's no need for the "I'll teach them a lesson, and not renew!" attitude. Do what makes you happy, and be done with it. None of this is personal.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
WalkerBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
If you aren't enjoying it, just don't buy more tickets. There's no need for the "I'll teach them a lesson, and not renew!" attitude. Do what makes you happy, and be done with it. None of this is personal.
wallym, I never made that statement. The NHL is big business, and I have no illusions about teaching them anything.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Yeah, I'll renew. If I didn't stop renewing after the 09/10 season or even last season, why stop now?

Some others seem to take this a lot more seriously than me, but Canes (and NHL) hockey is simply entertainment. While it's definitely less enjoyable when they lose, I still prefer going to NHL games over other forms of entertainment that I could spend my money on so until that changes, I'll continue to renew.

Boom Boom Aho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
lightningbolt444

We are about 95% sure we are not renewing next season. If we do it will not be in the fanzone which is where we had tickets this season. I find that the experience in the fanzone is not very good for a canes fan. I find that I am often surrounded by the other teams fans and most of the time they are not the type of fans I want to be around. I am all for fans coming and cheering their team on even if it is not the canes but at times people forget it is just a hockey game and infringe on my ability to watch the game just because I am wearing a canes jersey.

Maybe it is the alcohol maybe it is the tickets being so cheap that attracts the ********s (not everyone just had a few bad experiences this season most recently at the rangers game) but I do not even enjoy sitting in the fanzone. I know most relocate to Raleigh from other areas but it is shocking to me how tolerant of other fans our fans really are and I am shocked at how many root against the Hurricanes.

I love the team and will always go to a fair share of games but this season up in the fanzone really gave me a poor taste of the experience at PNC. Cheer for the home team but get heckled the entire game because of it ( I am also very quiet only cheering for goals and never really saying much else).

lightningbolt444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:11 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
That kindof hits the crux of the matter with the fanzone. A great idea executed **** poorly because of the amount of secondary market brokers that by up the majority of the tickets, at least of those not grandfathered in. If the price difference wasn't so bad and actual equivalent seats were available I'd move my ass out of 314 and over to 333 because of it. The fan zone has been a disaster IMO, despite the good intentions, all due to sites like Stub Hub, etc.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
lightningbolt444

Exactly how I feel. I honestly love the seats (I sit in 315) you see everything the game slows down a bit from sitting down low so it is easier for my wife to follow as she is just getting into hockey. It allows for her to follow the game a bit better and ask questions about why certain things happen.

The price difference needs to be a bit less than it is now and the Hurricanes should be doing their best to keep brokers from buying up the tickets in those sections.

lightningbolt444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:36 PM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That kindof hits the crux of the matter with the fanzone. A great idea executed **** poorly because of the amount of secondary market brokers that by up the majority of the tickets, at least of those not grandfathered in. If the price difference wasn't so bad and actual equivalent seats were available I'd move my ass out of 314 and over to 333 because of it. The fan zone has been a disaster IMO, despite the good intentions, all due to sites like Stub Hub, etc.
On the FanZone, they should have had a maximum of 4 seats per account and held out the ticket brokers until the "fans" had a shot at the seats first. When I was there for select-a-seat, there were brokers scooping up multiple rows. Now where are those seats going when it's time for the Pens to come to town?

For my reasons to give up my tickets as the lockout progressed, it made me re-evaluate what I was spending my money on and just how much I was investing in a product that was being run the way that the NHL was handling the CBA deal. I've still gone to some games this year, but I was doing everything I could do to support a sport that wanted to shut down every few years to get it's house in order.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:49 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

I will hold my two seats in 333 until they have to pry 'em out of my cold, dead hands -- because holding them is what guarantees my ongoing right to the premier parking pass we bought along with 'em. Man alive, when the boys look this bad, the ability to get the hell out of the parking lot in a hurry is priceless.

--hank

HankClerval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I can't go to games (being out of town and all) but I really feel like if you don't enjoy the product on the ice, you don't have to renew your tix. I also feel like with all the money grabbing that PK does, that if he sees attendance drop, profits suffer because of a disappointing season, he would demand more changes.

I mean you can't tell me that money did not play a factor in acquiring Semin and Staal.. That it was all about winning and not filling up the seats. Well, if the team sucks, no one is gonna want to go to the games except the diehards.

I guess in closing, it won't really matter if a few STH boycott because the empty seats will speak for themselves regardless.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote