HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better Hockey History: Leafs vs. Oilers

View Poll Results: Which team has the better NHL hockey history?
Toronto 82 61.19%
Edmonton 52 38.81%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Better Hockey History: Leafs vs. Oilers

Which would you pick?

The Leafs have been around far longer, and were an original 6 team.

The Oilers have their dynasty.

If you were a fan of some random team and could pick for them either to have EDM's history, or TOR's, which would you pick, and why?

*EDIT* BTW, I know how stupid this poll sounds, me posting it as an Oilers fan, but thought I'd ask it anyways out of moribd curiousity and to see how fans value the distant, distant past vs. the somewhat recent past, and a short dynasty vs. the Leafs being around for a long time and being perhaps the flagship team of the NHL?

Last edited by speeds: 04-27-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
se7en*

Overall Leafs. We don't have an award shaped like Rexall Place or 13 Stanley Cups (soon though ) But since 1980 when the Oilers joined the league, obviously Oilers.

It's not really a fair poll. We're comparing a team thats been around since the early 20th century to an early-80s 'expansion' team.

Old
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM

Where's the mandatory 3rd option in this poll?

I think the Leafs win this one though...not really fair

Old
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Pepper

I agree, this poll simply screams for the 3rd option for LEafs/Oilers fans.

I voted Oilers, Leafs won all their cups during the original 6 days when the chances of winning the Cup were around 3x higher than during Oilers glory days simply because the number of teams in the league.

I assume this is about better history success-wise? If it's just about history in general naturally Leafs win this because they have what 3x more years in the league, then it would be asking is 1000USD more than 1 USD.

Old
04-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I picked Toronto because their history is longer but give the Oilers 10 years and they will have a better histoiry then the Leafs.

Old
04-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Nifty=HHOF

I took Toronto because Edmonton really had only one great run and other than that has been a very medicore team.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Crossroads*

Obviously Toronto. This shouldn't even be a poll. A better question would be:

Better Hockey History: Habs or Leafs, or Bruins or Leafs.

How can you even ask this question when one team has only been in the league for 25 years and the other has been in the league for 79 (named the Maple Leafs and not counting the years as the St Pats, etc).

Pathetic.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Pulfy14

Why is this poll even close the Leafs have won many more cups then Edmonton and they are an original 6 team...

Old
04-27-2005, 04:47 PM
se7en*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
Better Hockey History: Habs or Leafs?
Now THAT would be worse than comparing the Oilers and Leafs. Toronto have 8 more Cups then Edmonton and Montreal has 11 more than Toronto.

No one even comes close to Montreal in reguards to better hockey history, not even the Leafs.

Last edited by se7en*: 04-27-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old
04-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Crossroads*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootchie Cootchie
Now THAT would be worse than comparing the Oilers and Leafs. Toronto have 8 more Cups then Edmonton and Montreal has 11 more than Toronto.

No one even comes close to Montreal in reguards to better hockey history, not even the Leafs.
That is not true. Sure, Montreal has the edge in cups but since when is that the single determinant of history?

You must look at players that have played for the team, managers/coaches, historical buildings, etc.

Again, pathetic.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
x-bob

LEafs no doubt. Their history is a million times more developed then the oilers.

Old
04-27-2005, 05:01 PM
x-bob

Quote:
That is not true. Sure, Montreal has the edge in cups but since when is that the single determinant of history?

You must look at players that have played for the team, managers/coaches, historical buildings, etc.

Again, pathetic.
Well it's true that cups aren't the only things that come into the picture bu I beeive that it's a sure bet that Montreal has a better and more developped history towaards hockey then the leafs.

Old
04-27-2005, 05:12 PM
se7en*

Quote:

Again, pathetic.
Edmonton has the edge over Toronto in players that played for the team, Toronto definetely has the edge in management/coaches, I'm not so sure about buildings, since Maple Leafs Gardens is now from what I hear....a grocery store. After all, we did win 4 Cups in our building.

EDIT: Actually, players is a tough choice. Bobby Baun did score a Cup-winning goal on a broken leg, did he not? Thats pretty amazing.

Old
04-27-2005, 05:16 PM
se7en*

Like I said before, of course Toronto, but there is a lack of the 'stupid' 3rd option.

Old
04-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Crossroads*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootchie Cootchie
Edmonton has the edge over Toronto in players that played for the team, Toronto definetely has the edge in management/coaches, I'm not so sure about buildings, since Maple Leafs Gardens is now from what I hear....a grocery store. After all, we did win 4 Cups in our building.

EDIT: Actually, players is a tough choice. Bobby Baun did score a Cup-winning goal on a broken leg, did he not? Thats pretty amazing.
Edmonton has the edge over Toronto in players that played for the team? Are you kidding me?

These are just SOME of the players that have played for Toronto:
* Jack Adams
* George Armstrong
* Syl Apps
* Johnny Bower
* Turk Broda
* King Clancy
* Clarence "Hap" Day
* Tim Horton
* Punch Imlach
* Ted Kennedy
* Dave Keon
* Harry Lumley
* Frank Mahovlich
* Lanny McDonald
* Larry Murphy
* Bob Pulford
* Borje Salming
* Terry Sawchuk
* Darryl Sittler
* Allan Stanley

-----

Not sure about the buildings? What the heck? The Maple Leaf Gardens had its start in November of 1931 and is home to many historical moments. It is centered in downtown Toronto and was a defining part of the city's culture up until the late 1990's.

This is pathetic. I shouldn't even be having this discussion because you are obviously not educated enough on the Maple Leafs and their history and this is evident by you even entertaining the thought of the Oilers having a better history than the Leafs.

Closed Thread