HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 2013 Draft || Episode III: Revenge of the Seth || Avs win the draft lottery

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 10:46 PM
avsfan89

vCash: 500
you guys do realize we CAN draft a really good dman in other rounds right?

Drouin/Mack would help us NOT playing guys like Kobasew, McCleod, MITCHELL in top 6 forward minutes.

Defense can be TAUGHT *cough coaching *cough, but sometimes you just need raw offensive skill that's high end.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:49 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
you guys do realize we CAN draft a really good dman in other rounds right?

Drouin/Mack would help us NOT playing guys like Kobasew, McCleod, MITCHELL in top 6 forward minutes.

Defense can be TAUGHT *cough coaching *cough, but sometimes you just need raw offensive skill that's high end.
Mackinnon & Hagg

There does look to be better defenders in the upper second to lower first round than forwards IMO.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Drouin & Hagg

There does look to be better defenders in the upper second to lower first round than forwards IMO.
FIXED but I realy want Hagg in with the 2nd pick. Don't know if he has a legit chance of falling.

If not draft Hartman.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
avsfan89

Quote:
Mackinnon & Hagg

Jordan Subban/Bigras would be good dman selections too. I'd love Lazar and Petan

Old
04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
FIXED but I realy want Hagg in with the 2nd pick. Don't know if he has a legit chance of falling.

If not draft Hartman.
LOL, Tomato/Tom 'AH' toooo

Old
04-21-2013, 10:57 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Mackinnon & Hagg

Honestly I don't think the Avs even need to draft a dman in one of the top 2 rounds.

I think we need to just take the BPA, no matter position (except goalie which we have tons of). So hypothetically we draft MacKinnon or Drouin in the first rd. then we take BPA in the 2nd rd, could be another forward but it doesn't matter.

We still have Siemens, Barrie and Elliott as young talented dmen, if we draft MacKinnon it makes Stastny available to trade for another top 4 dman. We could improve the defense without even drafting one.

We could have:

player picked up from Stastny deal-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Elliott, Hunwick, Siemens, Zanon

There are tons of possibilities to get better we don't have to force ourselves to draft a dman. If there is a solid one available take him, but where we are going to be drafting the only one worth it is Jones and if you can't take him you have to go with one of the offensive players.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:58 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Jordan Subban/Bigras would be good dman selections too. I'd love Lazar and Petan
It wouldn't stop me from taking him but J. Subban seems a bit redundant with Barrie and Elliott around. Not saying he'd be a bad pick but I'd prefer one of the bigger left handed guys that seems to have some offensive upside seeing as that's more of a need than a right handed pure offensive guy.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:00 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Honestly I don't think the Avs even need to draft a dman in one of the top 2 rounds.

I think we need to just take the BPA, no matter position (except goalie which we have tons of). So hypothetically we draft MacKinnon or Drouin in the first rd. then we take BPA in the 2nd rd, could be another forward but it doesn't matter.

We still have Siemens, Barrie and Elliott as young talented dmen, if we draft MacKinnon it makes Stastny available to trade for another top 4 dman. We could improve the defense without even drafting one.

We could have:

player picked up from Stastny deal-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Elliott, Hunwick, Siemens, Zanon

There are tons of possibilities to get better we don't have to force ourselves to draft a dman. If there is a solid one available take him, but where we are going to be drafting the only one worth it is Jones and if you can't take him you have to go with one of the offensive players.
You do realize I was hoping Hagg would end up our pick at #32 right?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I like Mirco Mueller with our 2nd, add a little Swiss to the organization and let him develop for awhile with all the defensive prospects we have between the NHL/AHL. Theodore seems interesting too. I think our second pick will be the perfect spot to snag a falling defender.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:02 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I like Mirco Mueller with our 2nd, add a little Swiss to the organization and let him develop for awhile with all the defensive prospects we have between the NHL/AHL. Theodore seems interesting too. I think our second pick will be the perfect spot to snag a falling defender.
Exactly, so we should take Mackinnon with our 1st.

I'd take Jones first if he was on the board but I'm just preparing myself, and getting excited about Mackinnon/Drouin.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:03 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Agreed. There should be a couple good fallers for us at the #32 spot.

Even our 3rd rounder should be a talented young player. Looking forward to this draft.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Dillon Heatherington is a guy I bet they like a lot too

Old
04-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Hopefully we can pick up another pick in the late 2nd because there's enough depth through the first 3 rounds that we could have a 2009 caliber draft

Old
04-21-2013, 11:10 PM
avsfan89

There's a reason young guys like Loktionov and Ellerby (1st rounder formerly) went for 5TH Rounders, this is a very deep draft that will be very important for the future of the Avs.

Perhaps this draft more than most will determine the longterm success of the Avs. If they can get one top 6 forward and one top 4 dman in this draft it would be very sweet.

Of course that's the goal for every team every draft lol

Old
04-21-2013, 11:24 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Can someone that follows the Q more closely than I, explain how Drouin ended up with 30 more points than MacKinnon in the regular season in only 5 more games, if they play on the same line?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
I wouldn't trade EJ for the #3 personally.
Neither would Tampa

Old
04-21-2013, 11:32 PM
chet1926

Quote:
You do realize I was hoping Hagg would end up our pick at #32 right?
Yeah, I do. But he probably isn't going to be there at 32. I don't want Avs brass to think if we go offense in round 1, that we have to go defense in round 2 or vise versa. I just want us to take BPA and go from there. If its 2 offensive players so what, if its 2 dmen great, if its 1 and 1 fine. Just take the 2 best players available.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
LOL, Tomato/Tom 'AH' toooo
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Can someone that follows the Q more closely than I, explain how Drouin ended up with 30 more points than MacKinnon in the regular season in only 5 more games, if they play on the same line?
...Because he's better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Yeah, I do. But he probably isn't going to be there at 32. I don't want Avs brass to think if we go offense in round 1, that we have to go defense in round 2 or vise versa. I just want us to take BPA and go from there. If its 2 offensive players so what, if its 2 dmen great, if its 1 and 1 fine. Just take the 2 best players available.
Agreed, with this and that's what they should've done back in 2011.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:38 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewHope View Post
History in alot of cases dictates the future. Is it 100%? Obviously not. No doubt it has more to do with Jones than anything. I really don't watch him alot. Between Avs games, Nuggets or whatever is on I don't have the time to watch an entire WHL season as well. I've read reports, others opinions, watched highlights etc. and all that jazz and in all that nothing has separated him from somebody like Erik Johnson for example. If you are old enough to remember the talk and buzz about him, you know that Johnson probably had more hype actually.

Defensemen are harder to project. It's harder to tell what they will on the next level, how they will progress etc. than with forwards. You can argue that if you want but at the top of the draft, this is generally the case.
2011 is a good example of this. Pretty much every scout thought Larsson was a surefire, can't miss prospect and while in time he still may develop into a top pairing dman I think both Brodin and Hamilton will be better than him. It's really tough to project where a dman is going to end up based on how he plays as a 17/18 year old.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:00 AM
Hans Landaskog

Drouin/Subban is my vote.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:12 AM
avsfan89

would anyone be interested if we involved Stastny in a deal for another pick in the top 5?

I'm thinking Stastny+3rd Round+Gus Young+Aittakalio

now before you laugh at young, remember he's part of a championship frozen four team at yale, AND

coveted players like iginla even went for college players. Stas is better than iginla (younger with potential still), we got goalie depth, and young has been a great story for yale. I would probably add to those pieces, not much more though

Old
04-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
would anyone be interested if we involved Stastny in a deal for another pick in the top 5?

I'm thinking Stastny+3rd Round+Gus Young+Aittakalio

now before you laugh at young, remember he's part of a championship frozen four team at yale, AND

coveted players like iginla even went for college players. Stas is better than iginla (younger with potential still), we got goalie depth, and young has been a great story for yale. I would probably add to those pieces, not much more though
You're way off. While Stastny might be better than Iggy, he iginla wasn't traded for a top 5 pick. Stastny's pretty much tapped out he is what he is, he might be even getting worse.

Now the Young fella may have been part of a championship team but this mean very little in the NHL, when you think about players like Gilroy and Porter have won the Hobey baker award. This proposal would just get laughed at be the other GM.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:51 AM
PAZ

Avs aren't getting 2 top 5 picks, simple as that.

I really hope they start Varly these last 3 games, it pains me to say, he's been very sub-par this season, but at least it will help the tank. I'm hoping this year is just a bump in the road, but he needs to find him an elite goalie coach this offseason.

His rebound control may honestly be the worst in the league, and is out of position so many times IMO. As bad as our defense is, Giguere is at least able to rally them. Varly doesn't.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:55 AM
avsfan89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
You're way off. While Stastny might be better than Iggy, he iginla wasn't traded for a top 5 pick. Stastny's pretty much tapped out he is what he is, he might be even getting worse.

Now the Young fella may have been part of a championship team but this mean very little in the NHL, when you think about players like Gilroy and Porter have won the Hobey baker award. This proposal would just get laughed at be the other GM.
our system has destroyed stastny's production, but I'm certain most agree Stas inserted on any other team's top 6 would be an upgrade:

chicago, toronto, florida -weiss prob leaving, anaheim, buffalo, cgy, NYI, CLB, NJ, Phx, and Nsh.

Give him a bit more credit. true about the hobey baker point though.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:02 AM
PAZ

Quote:
our system has destroyed stastny's production, but I'm certain most agree Stas inserted on any other team's top 6 would be an upgrade:

chicago, toronto, florida -weiss prob leaving, anaheim, buffalo, cgy, NYI, CLB, NJ, Phx, and Nsh.

Give him a bit more credit. true about the hobey baker point though.
If Stastny had multiple years left on a decent deal, then I could see it.

But he has one year left on a 6.6 mil cap hit. It's not a big enough upgrade from a bottom dweller to lose a potential franchise player for possibly only one year of Stastny.

Closed Thread