HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 2013 Draft || Episode III: Revenge of the Seth || Avs win the draft lottery

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 02:03 AM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Earlier in the season when I thought we were going to finish with a 6-10 pick Nichushkin was the guy I really wanted. Unreal skills and physical tools but alas it isn't meant to be.

If we're lucky enough to grab Mackinnon I imagine we'll make room for him rather than play him at wing long term but imagine being able to throw Parenteau, Dutchy, and Mackinnon out there together.

With Drouin I'm just worried he's going to get Skinner'd/Hishon'd.
Yeah it's a legit worry for sure with the way our luck has gone.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:08 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Besides, Duchene knows how to adjust to the LW side. Not saying Duchene should move to LW again, but they could learn to read each-other and play both areas of the ice after a couple years.
Not this again please.

Quote:
The scariest thing about Drouin is how much of his offensive ability will translate to the NHL, and hes only broke out this season. He was a point per game player but not anywhere near this level last season.
Same thing with Huberdeau in his draft year, he seems to be doing pretty well.

Quote:
With Drouin I'm just worried he's going to get Skinner'd/Hishon'd.
Or the avs draft Barkov or Nichu and they get Lindros'd/Primeau'd.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:44 AM
Rrabb1t

Quote:
I don't think he quite has the hands or the nasty edge of Getzlaf. In terms of big bodied centers I think his skating at this point isn't strong enough to compare him stylistically to Kopitar either. He tends to remind me of modern era Joe Thornton out there, the version with less offense and much stronger two way play than his previous years. Hard to find a perfect comparable though, as it is with all of these kids.

I would definitely be really happy if we drafted him.
He most certainly has the hands to do just about anything he wants to with the puck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iSl3esllJI

None of the nasty edge of Getz though.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:19 AM
avsfan89

Would anyone dare take Lindholm as our pick if we pick 4th? Is he potentially better than barkov?

Old
04-23-2013, 08:42 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan89 View Post
Would anyone dare take Lindholm as our pick if we pick 4th? Is he potentially better than barkov?
I don't think so. Barkov is the first line center in one of the best team in Finland from what I've heard. And he is NEEDED in all situations. Kinda like Landeskog. Very NHL-ready.

Lindholm is a few years off, he looks good but.. na, over Barkov? No.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:48 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I don't think so. Barkov is the first line center in one of the best team in Finland from what I've heard. And he is NEEDED in all situations. Kinda like Landeskog. Very NHL-ready.

I don't know much about either but a top 4 pick means greatness in this draft pretty much?

Old
04-23-2013, 09:03 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
I don't know much about either but a top 4 pick means greatness in this draft pretty much?
If you pick right, yes.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
As mentioned, I personally like the Thornton comparison. Not as mean, though. And not as good at diving/trolling.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post

Agreed.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:23 AM
GamingGiant

Avs currently have a lock (lottery could bump it up) on a top-8 pick.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
Avs currently have a lock (lottery could bump it up) on a top-8 pick.
Yep. Not bad.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Avs71

I've kind of given up on the tank. Even if the Avs moved up to 6th or something, it isn't the end of the world. I don't really think they should have been this low in the first place, so it won't be surprising if they climb out of the bottom 3. While adding a Nurse/Lindholm prospect won't be as exciting because they won't step in next year, it's still another great prospect in the system to be excited about.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I've kind of given up on the tank. Even if the Avs moved up to 6th or something, it isn't the end of the world. I don't really think they should have been this low in the first place, so it won't be surprising if they climb out of the bottom 3. While adding a Nurse/Lindholm prospect won't be as exciting because they won't step in next year, it's still another great prospect in the system to be excited about.
We can still win lottery!

Old
04-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Agreed, maintaining a Top 3-4 pick would be great, but we probably weren't supposed to be picking this high anyway. A top 6 or 7 pick still brings in a good prospect that will really help 2 years down the road.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Agreed, maintaining a Top 3-4 pick would be great, but we probably weren't supposed to be picking this high anyway. A top 6 or 7 pick still brings in a good prospect that will really help 2 years down the road.
Most likely we will end up with 3-4 pick.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:09 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Most likely we will end up with 3-4 pick.
Agreed... by the end of tonight we will know a lot more about where we stand. Here is what we need to have happen:

Avs to lose in regualtion to the Blues
Nashville to beat Calgary
Carolina to beat NYI

If all of that happens, it pretty much seals a bottom 3 finish and a very high chance at a top 3 pick.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:14 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
We'll be fine IMO, we win one game and the next day or two we all talk about falling out of the lottery. Then we get slammed and everyone is sure we are getting the #2 pick. lol

Talk about having our emotions played with huh?

Tampa plays Toronto, which hasn't been amazing lately.

Carolina plays NYI, which Carolina has beaten 3-0 this year.

Nashville plays CGY, which could go either way honestly.

The only one I'm really worried about is Nashville, they don't have the ROWs to beat us in a tie, and they play DET, and CLB their last two games.

Our game against Phoenix will also be their last home game, as they are on the road for their final game @ ANA. I hope we lose the next two so that we are fired up against Minnesota, it would be sick if we could be the game that decides if they make the playoffs or not, and knock them out. That would be a great start to another conference rivalry.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 0
I've been mentally expecting someone like Lindholm all along. If we get someone better I'll be positively surprised. Better than to pencil in Seth Jones and be bummed about who we'll get.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:17 PM
chet1926

Quote:
I would, I really like Lindholm. For some reason I've never warmed to Barkov. Not saying I wouldn't like him on the team but I'd take Lindholm and Nichushkin over Barkov.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
GamingGiant

If the Avs lose tonight (or any other game for that matter) and win the two other remaining games we will still have a great shot at a top-5 pick.

Florida 32 pts
Nashville 39 pts
Carolina 39 pts (ROW)
Tampa Bay 40 pts (Play FLA)
Colorado 41 pts (Goal Differential)
Edmonton 41 pts (Goal Differential)

Last edited by GamingGiant: 04-23-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I've been mentally expecting someone like Lindholm all along. If we get someone better I'll be positively surprised. Better than to pencil in Seth Jones and be bummed about who we'll get.
I dunno. People say Barkov doesn't have huge offensive potential, but I think It's just because he isn't as flashy as other top-3 picks. He has break pretty much every record in Finnish elite league and he's still very young. Barkov seems to have great head on his shoulders as well. I think we might be making mistake picking Drouin and not Barkov.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

To me Barkov is clearly the superior player to Lidholm and he belongs right up there with Jones, Mac and Drouin. Valeri probably has the highest offensive potential of all players, but his contract status makes him an unlikely top 5 pick.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
We'll be fine IMO, we win one game and the next day or two we all talk about falling out of the lottery. Then we get slammed and everyone is sure we are getting the #2 pick. lol

Talk about having our emotions played with huh?

Tampa plays Toronto, which hasn't been amazing lately.

Carolina plays NYI, which Carolina has beaten 3-0 this year.

Nashville plays CGY, which could go either way honestly.

The only one I'm really worried about is Nashville, they don't have the ROWs to beat us in a tie, and they play DET, and CLB their last two games.

Our game against Phoenix will also be their last home game, as they are on the road for their final game @ ANA. I hope we lose the next two so that we are fired up against Minnesota, it would be sick if we could be the game that decides if they make the playoffs or not, and knock them out. That would be a great start to another conference rivalry.
Like I said, we'll probably still end up with a Top 3-4 pick, but really I don't care where we end up. Guaranteed a Top 7 pick right now and even that will bring back a solid young player.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

If Barkov had a little better/more natural skating stride he would be in the conversation for the top pick. He is a very good player.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
If Barkov had a little better/more natural skating stride he would be in the conversation for the top pick. He is a very good player.
True. Skating can be improved though and he's still very young. He's going to be great player. I don't know, I think he might be little bit of a dark horse of top-4.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:46 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
True. Skating can be improved though and he's still very young. He's going to be great player. I don't know, I think he might be little bit of a dark horse of top-4.
And the Avs have done well with players with 'poor' skating. ROR for instance.

Closed Thread