HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Worst GDT Ever Again: Devils visit Rangers 3pm

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
  #126
Emperoreddy
Moderator
End is Near
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 58,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Man no quotes about ''Throwing hits, blocking shots, or the toughness element in a big division game?''


Yeah he has to go. It's not even like he's playing good defense. In fact he keeps declining every year, and this year he was even worse than last year. Last year I thought he was serviceable (Still way too overpaid though) this year he isn't at all. We'd fare just as well bringing back Colin White for league minimum. Hopefully Vanderbeek pulls the plug sooner rather than later. And Deboer is an idiot for insisting he be in the lineup yesterday.

As for Hedberg and the defense playing bad in front of him. The defense at even strength wasn't so much the problem when Moose was playing. Our penalty kill was however a big problem. It went from 8th to about 22nd in the league in a matter of about 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure in 4 or 5 games it went from being 13th to like 22nd. It started to go bad before Marty got injured, but it went out of control sometime during right before Moose coming in. Some of the goals were completely his fault, but the PK was so poor in some of those games there was nothing he can do. Also on the topic of the team playing poorly in front of him they were playing poor offense. They gave him 1.83 goals a game of support while Marty was out. To win those games he would have needed a GAA of under 1.83 which not many goalies in this league have.
Exactly that. Moose definitely gave some soft, and some putrid goals, and did not help us win...but the team was not helping him either. The PK was what was terrible. They were caught out of position so many times in those games it was disgusting. The failed clears and giveaways were up too (via eye test, remember they never credited Volch with a giveaway yesterday). We forget how solid Moose was early in the season too.

Moose's biggest problem is when he leaves the net, if he just stays in the net most of the time he is fine. It all goes wrong when he starts trying wacky stuff and leaves the crease. Someone needs to remind him he isn't Marty.

It is going to be Marty/Moose next year period, done, end of story. We aren't buying Hedberg out, and neither is going to retire. If you think we are doomed before the puck even drops next year because of it then save yourself the trouble and don't watch because that is a long time to be upset about two goalies.

Emperoreddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  #127
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Man no quotes about ''Throwing hits, blocking shots, or the toughness element in a big division game?''
He was basically hinting at that anyway lol (with the kind of game that we think it's going to be comment). But when you're practically apologizing for not having a concrete reason for your own lineup choice, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
  #128
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Rooney is a little twerp drunk with power. His history with the Devils started back with the infamous icing call while we were on the PK in the playoffs vs. the Rangers.

Madden tore into him and he's held the Devils in contempt ever since. He's the one with issues and deserves all the crap thrown his way.
lol I pretty much forgot most of that series other than bits and pieces that come back in flashbacks. I don't even remember that, at least not as much as I remember Madden himself not lifting a puck on a penalty shot at 4-3 in Game 5

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
  #129
Bleedred
Boedker sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OV2's empty stall
Country: United States
Posts: 63,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Exactly that. Moose definitely gave some soft, and some putrid goals, and did not help us win...but the team was not helping him either. The PK was what was terrible. They were caught out of position so many times in those games it was disgusting. The failed clears and giveaways were up too (via eye test, remember they never credited Volch with a giveaway yesterday). We forget how solid Moose was early in the season too.

Moose's biggest problem is when he leaves the net, if he just stays in the net most of the time he is fine. It all goes wrong when he starts trying wacky stuff and leaves the crease. Someone needs to remind him he isn't Marty.

It is going to be Marty/Moose next year period, done, end of story. We aren't buying Hedberg out, and neither is going to retire. If you think we are doomed before the puck even drops next year because of it then save yourself the trouble and don't watch because that is a long time to be upset about two goalies.
I'm more worried about the offense than goaltending honestly. When we're scoring 2+ goals per game, and our goalies are not keeping it out then I'll worry about the goaltending. First thing first should be a good top 6 ish forward.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:40 PM
  #130
Bleedred
Boedker sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OV2's empty stall
Country: United States
Posts: 63,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
lol I pretty much forgot most of that series other than bits and pieces that come back in flashbacks. I don't even remember that, at least not as much as I remember Madden himself not lifting a puck on a penalty shot at 4-3 in Game 5
One of my flashbacks is Sarge ringing it off the post early in game 1 I think it was. He hit the post, and then turned around and put his hands up as to celebrate but then realized play hadn't stopped.

Might have been game 2, but I think it was game 1. I remember Zubrus doing the same thing early in game 6 of the ECF last year while the score was 0 to 0 still. Only I'm pretty sure he didn't start to celebrate.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:57 PM
  #131
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
One of my flashbacks is Sarge ringing it off the post early in game 1 I think it was. He hit the post, and then turned around and put his hands up as to celebrate but then realized play hadn't stopped.

Might have been game 2, but I think it was game 1. I remember Zubrus doing the same thing early in game 6 of the ECF last year while the score was 0 to 0 still. Only I'm pretty sure he didn't start to celebrate.
I remembered it being Game 4 at the Garden (Brylin raising the hands), but you're the Rainman of the board so you're probably right

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:04 PM
  #132
Emperoreddy
Moderator
End is Near
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 58,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm more worried about the offense than goaltending honestly. When we're scoring 2+ goals per game, and our goalies are not keeping it out then I'll worry about the goaltending. First thing first should be a good top 6 ish forward.
We need another forward as it fills the team out nicely (third line of Zubs, JJ, and Clarkson sounds alright to me), but I think we will get the goals needed as long as certain guys to continue to under perform.

Emperoreddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
  #133
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,264
vCash: 500

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
  #134
Bleedred
Boedker sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OV2's empty stall
Country: United States
Posts: 63,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I remembered it being Game 4 at the Garden (Brylin raising the hands), but you're the Rainman of the board so you're probably right
I'm gonna have to find highlights of the games, but it could have been. I was at the home games, and went to one of the games at the Garden. I may have even went to both the games at the Garden that series. I can't even remember, but I'm gonna look up some highlights now.

Alright I found it. It was game 1, but maybe he did hit one at MSG too in game 4? Just saw that Jagr hit a post a few minutes earlier before that. It was one of those point shots that Marty is prone to giving up. At least I found it early. I didn't wanna have to sit through anymore highlights of that series.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:22 PM
  #135
AfroThunder396
Certified G
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 28,507
vCash: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
It is going to be Marty/Moose next year period, done, end of story. We aren't buying Hedberg out, and neither is going to retire. If you think we are doomed before the puck even drops next year because of it then save yourself the trouble and don't watch because that is a long time to be upset about two goalies.
This. Moose/Marty is good enough to get us to the playoffs, that's all you can ask them for at this point. We have much more pressing issues.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:47 PM
  #136
JK3
Moderator
 
JK3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ice Station Zebra
Country: United States
Posts: 8,395
vCash: 500
Wasn't around to post yesterday so here goes.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Way to show up boys, you had a chance to really **** up your archrivals playoff hopes and you play like a bunch ****heads and officially get knocked out of the playoff to boot, kudos.

Oh an Volch just go away, please.

JK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
  #137
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S
 
Sir Fenwick Corsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
I totally forgot about Rooney being the dick head who botched the icing call on Devils in 08. Was that the same game that Parise had his two front teeth implanted into Malik's hockey stick on a (wait for it) non call?

It may just be a game, but I'm not ashamed to say that I hope very bad things happen to Rooney. He's a p.o.s. with a clear agenda. To still have a job after being part of an officiating crew that puts on a circus show like the one in game 6 of last year's final, smh....... but that's the NHL for you.

Whatever the case, I hope he felt good showing his stones by tossing a coach out of a game with 16 seconds left on the clock. Dude is a total ******* who should be shoveling **** somewhere.

Sir Fenwick Corsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
  #138
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 24,774
vCash: 500
The pain and frustration was in full-force yesterday, JK3. You would think that with their playoff-lives on the line that they would have more desperation in their play but no. They played like they were trying to get to the U.S. Open in time for tee-time.

And if Volch isn't amnestied, I will riot.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:42 PM
  #139
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I'm gonna have to find highlights of the games, but it could have been. I was at the home games, and went to one of the games at the Garden. I may have even went to both the games at the Garden that series. I can't even remember, but I'm gonna look up some highlights now.

Alright I found it. It was game 1, but maybe he did hit one at MSG too in game 4? Just saw that Jagr hit a post a few minutes earlier before that. It was one of those point shots that Marty is prone to giving up. At least I found it early. I didn't wanna have to sit through anymore highlights of that series.
lol yeah, for some reason I remembered watching it on TV - probably why I thought it was a MSG game - but I was at Game 1. I just remembered going nuts when Brylin raised his hands (annoyed at him). Maybe I just blocked out most of that night cause it was a craptastic birthday celebration

I actually do remember the games at MSG, and Game 5 more vividly than the first two games. Well truth be told I only remember bits and pieces from Games 3-4, mostly Backman knocking Parise into the net and taking out two of his teeth with nobody responding, and then Langs-Gomer's purse fight. Madden scoring the OT goal in Game 3. And whoever it was scoring the late goal in Game 4 (Marc Staal I think) that sunk us. That's literally all I remember from those two games.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:43 PM
  #140
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3 View Post
Wasn't around to post yesterday so here goes.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Way to show up boys, you had a chance to really **** up your archrivals playoff hopes and you play like a bunch ****heads and officially get knocked out of the playoff to boot, kudos.

Oh an Volch just go away, please.
They no-showed two years ago in an even bigger spoiler role than yesterday. I wasn't expecting much, even still theoretically alive. They looked like they were ready to roll over in a corner Saturday before Pete hit them with a two-by-four during the timeout. I'm surprised they didn't short-circuit fully before yesterday with how miserable the last two months has been.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
  #141
Bleedred
Boedker sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OV2's empty stall
Country: United States
Posts: 63,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
lol yeah, for some reason I remembered watching it on TV - probably why I thought it was a MSG game - but I was at Game 1. I just remembered going nuts when Brylin raised his hands (annoyed at him). Maybe I just blocked out most of that night cause it was a craptastic birthday celebration

I actually do remember the games at MSG, and Game 5 more vividly than the first two games. Well truth be told I only remember bits and pieces from Games 3-4, mostly Backman knocking Parise into the net and taking out two of his teeth with nobody responding, and then Langs-Gomer's purse fight. Madden scoring the OT goal in Game 3. And whoever it was scoring the late goal in Game 4 (Marc Staal I think) that sunk us. That's literally all I remember from those two games.
I remember Parise's teeth getting knocked out like Nona said. He just reminded me, but wasn't that called? I thought we got a double minor PP? If we didn't for that then it was shortly after. I remember banging my head about how awful the Johnny Mac power failure was.

And yes the team played like **** in their chance to knock the Rangers out in 10-11 too. Much better start then yesterday's game in fact I remember Kovy scoring the first goal of the game. I still think we lose only 2-1 with Volch out. Or maybe just 3-1. He was directly responsible for goal 3, and goal 4 he was in la la land on the PK.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:46 PM
  #142
JK3
Moderator
 
JK3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ice Station Zebra
Country: United States
Posts: 8,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
The pain and frustration was in full-force yesterday, JK3. You would think that with their playoff-lives on the line that they would have more desperation in their play but no. They played like they were trying to get to the U.S. Open in time for tee-time.

And if Volch isn't amnestied, I will riot.
Yeah just had to vent a little, wasn't around for the GDT, just frustrating.

JK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:56 PM
  #143
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta
 
Traitor Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Exactly that. Moose definitely gave some soft, and some putrid goals, and did not help us win...but the team was not helping him either. The PK was what was terrible. They were caught out of position so many times in those games it was disgusting. The failed clears and giveaways were up too (via eye test, remember they never credited Volch with a giveaway yesterday). We forget how solid Moose was early in the season too.

Moose's biggest problem is when he leaves the net, if he just stays in the net most of the time he is fine. It all goes wrong when he starts trying wacky stuff and leaves the crease. Someone needs to remind him he isn't Marty.

It is going to be Marty/Moose next year period, done, end of story. We aren't buying Hedberg out, and neither is going to retire. If you think we are doomed before the puck even drops next year because of it then save yourself the trouble and don't watch because that is a long time to be upset about two goalies.
Well if that is the case, I'll root for the team hard as I always do, but I'll have low expectations.

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
  #144
Emperoreddy
Moderator
End is Near
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 58,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
Well if that is the case, I'll root for the team hard as I always do, but I'll have low expectations.
Just being honest, it just isn't going to happen next year unless Moose retires for some reason. We aren't buying him out, and bringing in a 3rd goalie would be even more silly. In two years at least one young goalie will be playing on this team.

Just a horse that is already dead and not worth beating when there are bigger fish to fry with this offseason.

Emperoreddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:33 PM
  #145
NJDevs26
Moderator
No more status quo?!
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39,562
vCash: 50
I'm not sure they can deal with two 40+ goalies again, it was a disaster this year. As much as everyone wants to run Marty out of town he can still play in the NHL. I'm not sure Moose can. An .885 save percentage is BAD, and we're gonna need our backup to play at least 25-30 games next year, probably more. Marty ain't staying healthy the whole year at 41.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:42 PM
  #146
Wingman77
Glory Days
 
Wingman77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 19,264
vCash: 500
If Marty's last season (in all likelihood) was not going to be next season, I'd be all for having Moose back, but what good is it to have 2 goalies potentially retire or leave the team at the end of next season and then we have to go elsewhere to find something?

I'd be in favor of having a younger guy get some time in to transition into the following season

Now the interesting part comes in when you consider the what ifs such as what if Marty gets banged up and misses a few weeks as he has the past few seasons and the backup not named Moose can't get the job done? Is that a risk we're willing to take? For me it's a risk I'd be willing to take because then you know you still have to look for other options after next season regardless of if it is Moose or that somebody else

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
  #147
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta
 
Traitor Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 3,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Just being honest, it just isn't going to happen next year unless Moose retires for some reason. We aren't buying him out, and bringing in a 3rd goalie would be even more silly. In two years at least one young goalie will be playing on this team.

Just a horse that is already dead and not worth beating when there are bigger fish to fry with this offseason.
More of a reason to transition in the next goalie next season as opposed to having to fill two spots. By the way, I'm not a big believer in Kinkaid and the jury is out on Wedgewood, who is still probably 2 yrs away.

I have trouble seeing Lou going back to the well again with such an old goalie tandem especially after what went down this year. I think Hedberg only got two years as lockout insurance. I think there's a good chance he gets pushed out, regardless of how popular he is in the "room".

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
  #148
Emperoreddy
Moderator
End is Near
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 58,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
More of a reason to transition in the next goalie next season as opposed to having to fill two spots. By the way, I'm not a big believer in Kinkaid and the jury is out on Wedgewood, who is still probably 2 yrs away.

I have trouble seeing Lou going back to the well again with such an old goalie tandem especially after what went down this year. I think Hedberg only got two years as lockout insurance. I think there's a good chance he gets pushed out, regardless of how popular he is in the "room".
I am not really that opposed to the idea of someone younger backing Marty up next year, I just don't see Lou moving or buying Moose out. I just don't see it happening. Also don't think it will be the end of the world, but maybe that is because I am pretty sure Marty isn't retiring next year.

I don't have faith in Kinky either, more in Wedge but ya it is to soon to know for sure.

Emperoreddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
  #149
Bleedred
Boedker sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OV2's empty stall
Country: United States
Posts: 63,866
vCash: 500
I happen to think Moose can be a good goalie, but just as a backup only. He's just not a capable starter. He was great for a week at the beginning of 11-12, but came back down to earth after that while Marty was injured. He seemed to be at his best his last week of being a starter this year except for that Rangers game.

I think if Marty never gets injured, and Moose just comes off the bench weekly like he had been then he probably finishes the season with a good save percentage like the last two years before this. He particularly looked bad in back to backs also. That's where Pete needs to try and change the momentum. The penalty kill was a mess though during Moose's starting tenure this year, and he was only given 1.83 goals of support per game.

However reports of Marty scoring on him in practice are somewhat disturbing. Same with the shootout lineup in practice where it was mostly defensemen, and Kosto beating him.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:31 PM
  #150
Devils Dominion
DraftPicks 4 Castron
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waive/Trade LJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,969
vCash: 500
Moose did his best Hannu Kampurri impression this season.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.