HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft [Part II]

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I think this explains well the whole situation. The top3 (or even top4 if you want to count Barkov in) is so close to each other that it could be for the best to draft a BPA that the team needs.

Kulikov
Gudbranson
Petrovic
Brennan (you might not agree on this one, but he's looked really good so far)
Matheson

Then there's the possibility that Campbell keeps his high-end play up until close to his 40's, he could still be here when the kids would be ready for a serious run at the cup. Hell, look at how Chicago had their D when they won the cup:

Keith (drafted)
Seabrook (drafted)
Hjalmarsson (drafted)
Campbell (UFA)
Sopel (UFA)
Boynton (UFA)

We need a number one center more than a number one defenceman.
Chicago also had Cam Barker (3rd overall) who they traded at the deadline, Byfuglein who they converted to forward partway through that year and shortly before that also Babchuk (21st overall) and Wisniewski.

Having all of your D fully pan out or with the organization is wishful thinking.

Jones is the consensous # 1. I say the Panthers draft him if they get that pick then look to deal one of Gudbransson or Kulikov to get another pick to draft a center to slot in with Huberdeau as a 1-2 punch for years to come.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
FloriDada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Aittokallio + low pick?

Most of us want MacKinnon over Jones and would be pretty happy if Avs or someone else won the lottery and dropped Panthers down to 2nd since we aren't that sure if DT would pass Jones at number one.

OT: Also change that ramen avy, it's disturbing and not in a good way.
OT: Im trying to figure out a way in which disturbing is used in a good way.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:27 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Chicago also had Cam Barker (3rd overall) who they traded at the deadline, Byfuglein who they converted to forward partway through that year and shortly before that also Babchuk (21st overall) and Wisniewski.

Having all of your D fully pan out or with the organization is wishful thinking.

Jones is the consensous # 1. I say the Panthers draft him if they get that pick then look to deal one of Gudbransson or Kulikov to get another pick to draft a center to slot in with Huberdeau as a 1-2 punch for years to come.
Except forwards at the top of the draft are pretty much sure things. Whereas d-men aren't, and neither are forwards picked anywhere else.

Better to get the potentially elite forward who is much more likely to live up to the hype.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
FrolikFan67

if we get #1 and colorado #2, would this years 3rd (since we dont have a 3rd i think) and elliot be too much? i mean D if definitely the area that the avs need to improve on, and getting jones would be hugeeee for them. Jones, Johnson, Siemens, Barrie.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Except forwards at the top of the draft are pretty much sure things. Whereas d-men aren't, and neither are forwards picked anywhere else.

Better to get the potentially elite forward who is much more likely to live up to the hype.
According to who are these forwards a sure thing? The failure rate of forwards at the top of the draft is still quite high. All of the scouts have Jones ranked as the top pick so doesn't that mean their is a good chance that he's the next Doughty or Pronger?

If you deal Gudbranson or Kulikov you could have a shot at another top forward in the 5-10 range of the draft.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:44 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
According to who are these forwards a sure thing? The failure rate of forwards at the top of the draft is still quite high. All of the scouts have Jones ranked as the top pick so doesn't that mean their is a good chance that he's the next Doughty or Pronger?

If you deal Gudbranson or Kulikov you could have a shot at another top forward in the 5-10 range of the draft.
According to history. The top 2 forwards reach their potential/hype much more often than similarly ranked d-man. D is a much more difficult position to play at the NHL level and incredibly hard to project.

And I doubt anyone would give up a 5-10 for Guds. I wouldn't trade Kulikov for a 5-10. It would be a step backwards. I'd rather have MacKinnon and Kulikov than Jones and a forward in the 5-10. That's a huge step back for the timeline of the blueprint. It really delays us turning the corner.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:46 AM
ursavolta

vCash: 825
Quote:

Jones is the consensous # 1. I say the Panthers draft him if they get that pick then look to deal one of Gudbransson or Kulikov to get another pick to draft a center to slot in with Huberdeau as a 1-2 punch for years to come
I'm not sure how you or the other posters feel, but usually teams do not give their first or second line center so easily without have either a backup or something up their sleeves. I'm not into trying to gather picks and prospects for the next 6 seasons. I think we need to make improvements now, we have a decent cupboard of prospects and after this draft we will look amazing.

Looking at the team and the cupboard we have a lack of first line players. Huberdeau is basically our star left winger. We really need a top flight center, a top flight defenseman, and a top flight right winger.

Out of all of the possibilities, looking at draft seasons past, who would you rather get? A top center? or a top dman?

Looking at our lineup it screams we need both.

I agree with you assessment as it is pretty logical, but I do not agree on the bolded statement. Your just giving away another piece from one area to get another piece to plug another hole. Guds/Kuli need to grow - simple as that. Now, if we draft jones, and trade kuli or guds for a top flight center then sign a good free agent dman or trade for a good dman, thennn all of that makes sense. It gives us a center we need, we can compete for playoff appearances all the while giving our prospects which we drafted time to grow, I.E. Bjugs, Shore, Howden, Jones ect ect.

Now, trading away young players to acquire another young player just to see them grow is going backwards, unless the player ABSOLUTELY does not fit our system. Counting on young players who were just drafted is going backwards.

Who do you see giving up their 1st/2nd line center or first line dman? What price? More importantly, is now the time to do that?

As of preference, I say pick mckinnon. Jones will not be a bad idea, nor drouin but I think we need to find the middle point where we can compete and grow from within. Make the smart moves to become competitive now, and competitive later.

Old
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50
Quote:
There is no guarantee that a team would give a top10 pick for either one of those two, plus the drop off in centers available after MacKinnon/Barkov is massive.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kuli/Guds are worth way more to the team, than what they would bring back in a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
OT: Im trying to figure out a way in which disturbing is used in a good way.
You do that honey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
if we get #1 and colorado #2, would this years 3rd (since we dont have a 3rd i think) and elliot be too much? i mean D if definitely the area that the avs need to improve on, and getting jones would be hugeeee for them. Jones, Johnson, Siemens, Barrie.
I think a goalie prospect would be a much more needed position, there isn't really anyone after Markstrom to be excited about.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
I'm not sure how you or the other posters feel, but usually teams do not give their first or second line center so easily without have either a backup or something up their sleeves. I'm not into trying to gather picks and prospects for the next 6 seasons. I think we need to make improvements now, we have a decent cupboard of prospects and after this draft we will look amazing.

Looking at the team and the cupboard we have a lack of first line players. Huberdeau is basically our star left winger. We really need a top flight center, a top flight defenseman, and a top flight right winger.

Out of all of the possibilities, looking at draft seasons past, who would you rather get? A top center? or a top dman?

Looking at our lineup it screams we need both.

I agree with you assessment as it is pretty logical, but I do not agree on the bolded statement. Your just giving away another piece from one area to get another piece to plug another hole. Guds/Kuli need to grow - simple as that. Now, if we draft jones, and trade kuli or guds for a top flight center then sign a good free agent dman or trade for a good dman, thennn all of that makes sense. It gives us a center we need, we can compete for playoff appearances all the while giving our prospects which we drafted time to grow, I.E. Bjugs, Shore, Howden, Jones ect ect.

Now, trading away young players to acquire another young player just to see them grow is going backwards, unless the player ABSOLUTELY does not fit our system. Counting on young players who were just drafted is going backwards.

Who do you see giving up their 1st/2nd line center or first line dman? What price? More importantly, is now the time to do that?

As of preference, I say pick mckinnon. Jones will not be a bad idea, nor drouin but I think we need to find the middle point where we can compete and grow from within. Make the smart moves to become competitive now, and competitive later.
I'd rather go with the player ranked as the BPA by the scouts.

Most drafts that player is a forward but this year it just happens to be a Dman. Ask LA how they liked drafting Doughty or St. Louis with Piet with top picks. A franchise dman who controls the play 25-30 minutes a night is normally what wins championships.

You've listed 3 major holes in your roster that can't all be fixed in one draft but with lots of team desperate for D I think you can snag another top pick to draft a good forward like Monahan or trade for a young forward by trading one of Kulikov or Gudbransson. The Leafs managed to get a good young winger in JVR for Schenn. I think the Panthers could do a similar deal.

The Panters were lucky to make the playoffs last year. Next year I see them as best a borderline playoff team but most likely still not making it. I believe the Hurricanes, Oilers, Tampa, Philly and Colorado are all ahead of the Panthers roster (especially when you consider Weiss is probably gone) who could be interested in trading their pick for a young dman like Gudbranson or Kulikov.

The Panthers need to be patient and keep building for the 14-15 or even 15-16 season. Eventually all those picks your team has stocked up on recently will help the team make the jump to the next level.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 04-25-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 12:53 PM
FrolikFan67

so it looks like huberdeau is gonna start on rw again tonight...perhaps tallon is looking at the possibility of drouin, especially with drouin playing lw all season and huberdeau, according to santos, can play any forward position, maybe he sees another kane in drouin, who never know

Old
04-25-2013, 01:11 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:

Most drafts that player is a forward but this year it just happens to be a Dman. Ask LA how they liked drafting Doughty or St. Louis with Piet with top picks. A franchise dman who controls the play 25-30 minutes a night is normally what wins championships.

You've listed 3 major holes in your roster that can't all be fixed in one draft but with lots of team desperate for D I think you can snag another top pick to draft a good forward like Monahan or trade for a young forward by trading one of Kulikov or Gudbransson. The Leafs managed to get a good young winger in JVR for Schenn. I think the Panthers could do a similar deal.

The Panters were lucky to make the playoffs last year. Next year I see them as best a borderline playoff team but most likely still not making it. I believe the Hurricanes, Oilers, Tampa, Philly and Colorado are all ahead of the Panthers roster (especially when you consider Weiss is probably gone) who could be interested in trading their pick for a young dman like Gudbranson or Kulikov.

The Panthers need to be patient and keep building for the 14-15 or even 15-16 season. Eventually all those picks your team has stocked up on recently will help the team make the jump to the next level.
Disagree totally with your assessments.

Colorado and the oilers are a mess, way behind the panthers. The Av's made the playoffs once since the 2007-2008 season accumulating multiple lottery picks in the process. Their defense is easily the worst in the league. And, that God-awful Erik Johnson trade.
The Oilers ineptitude has been constant since their playoff run in 2005/2006. They need to learn Don't get the best players, get the RIGHT players.

Those 2 teams are way behind the panthers, light years.

That said, you say "the Panters" were lucky to make the playoffs, but have no basis for the opinion. We made it with solid goaltending, a very good lst line and a very solid 2 way second line. Our defense was more than adequate. This year was the fluke, with some bizarre injuries in a strike shortened season with no training camp. Next year with a full compliment, the second year of a developing top 5 goalie, and the 2010 draft coming into fruition, we are all set. As far as Weiss, either he will stay or we will pick up a comparable player, no worries there. And im not even discussing this years pick and how he MAY mix in the fold.

I like our chance not to just make the playoffs, but to go 2 rounds deep next year.

Cheers.

Last edited by adam graves: 04-25-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Ceremony
The man that you are

My avatar is beautiful. Not disturbing.

To the post above (Ed - well, post above above now), and not to come in sounding too soapboxy, but the Avalanche aren't as bad as we're made out. We've had two top 3 picks in the past three seasons, soon to be three in 4. This one should help a lot though since, assuming we get Jones, it'll be just what we need. We've sucked this year because of coaching and defence, that's unarguable, but Jones in there with Elliott and or Barrie in full time and a new coach would help us improve a lot. And the Avs have better centre depth than Florida.

Anyway, back to trading up if possible, and Elliott was one of the names I saw mentioned as a possibility. I think of all our prospects he'd be the most likely to move in a deal like this - he looks a bit less well rounded than Barrie at the NHL level (though I think Elliott has more pure skill, Barrie is more composed) and given the emergence of Shattenkirk I think we would be wary of trading the next hot young PMD we have.

And on that note, I'm happy with the EJ trade. What I'm not happy about is McClement being let go for nothing and EJ being put with a rotating cast of borderline bottom pairing d-men and a clown coach which has made the trade look a lot worse than it was.

04-25-2013, 01:56 PM
AwesomePanthers
Atlantic winners

Quote:
Colorado and the Oilers have way more top end skill. Yes, those teams haven't put it all together but make no mistake that they've got more high end skill assets (which can be used in a trade to address some of those holes).
Colorado most certainly doesn't have more high-end talent than the Panthers..

but seriously, get back to the topic in stead of coming here *****ing..

Old
04-25-2013, 02:18 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Colorado and the Oilers have way more top end skill. Yes, those teams haven't put it all together but make no mistake that they've got more high end skill assets (which can be used in a trade to address some of those holes).

Markstrom will be a good goalie. But top 5 is a very ambitious statement and even if he does develop into that player it's very very unlikely next season.

Your team lacks top end skill and could barely score last season and Weiss was a big part of that 1st line. The Panthers had by far the worst goal differential out of the teams that made the playoffs.

You criticize Colorado and the Oilers but your team is the worst team in the league this season and the two years prior to last year drafted 3rd overall.

It's nice those young secondary players are starting to make the team but don't count on them to be contributors till the season after or the season after that.

Honestly PLEASE GIVE ME AN INFRACTION.
Last year everything went right for your team but don't mistake them for being a good team. Your roster simply doesn't have the high end talent to be considered anything but a bottom of the conference team or at best if everything goes their way just maybe being able to grab one of the bottom playoff spots.
PANTHERS WITH MOST MAN GAMES LOST TO INJURY THIS SEASON...end of discussion.

The Panthers will get guys like Versteeg & Bergenheim back next season...that was 40 goals from last yr alone that we're missing this yr. The addition of Huberdeau & Mueller has given us plenty of top 6 scoring now that we were missing last season too. If we can either retain Weiss or replace him with another center, we have a team that can compete for a playoff spot quite easily.

All the high end skill that Edmonton has and yet they still cant make the playoffs. To me, it says its not just about skill but filling needs while acquiring skill. Everyone always says "draft the BPA and then worry later about acquiring the need positions," but Edmonton also shows that doesnt totally work either. If you have positions of need and there are multiple players with the pick that are almost equivalent, then its not so bad to take the player that fills a need. And scouts can be wrong too so I dont put too much weight into the draft rankings based on scouts opinions. Otherwise, you dont have guys like Karlsson being the top d-man in the league being a mid 1st round pick or guys like Claude Giroux getting drafted in the 20s.

Heck, lets just say Jones does become a superstar d-man (maybe a Norris winner), does it really matter to us if MacKinnon (or even Drouin) end up being a top 30 scorer in the NHL?? We solidify our top line forward spot for the next 10+ yrs and still get a player that works best for what we're doing long term. Our team would be better off then with the forward even if the d-man will become the better player.

Maybe the fact that many Norris trophy winners aren't top 5 picks makes me feel like it doesnt matter where you draft a d-man, cause you can always find a #1 guy with a little luck. Seriously, in the last 30 yrs, only 2 Norris trophy winners was selected in the top 5 and that was Pronger & Niedermayer. There have been more 2nd rounders that have won the Norris Trophy in the last 30 yrs than I thought there would be too.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 04-25-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post

The Panthers will get guys like Versteeg & Bergenheim back next season...that was 40 goals from last yr alone that we're missing this yr. The addition of Huberdeau & Mueller has given us plenty of top 6 scoring now that we were missing last season too. If we can either retain Weiss or replace him with another center, we have a team that can compete for a playoff spot quite easily.

All the high end skill that Edmonton has and yet they still cant make the playoffs. To me, it says its not just about skill but filling needs while acquiring skill. Everyone always says "draft the BPA and then worry later about acquiring the need positions," but Edmonton also shows that doesnt totally work either. If you have positions of need and there are multiple players with the pick that are almost equivalent, then its not so bad to take the player that fills a need. And scouts can be wrong too so I dont put too much weight into the draft rankings based on scouts opinions. Otherwise, you dont have guys like Karlsson being the top d-man in the league being a mid 1st round pick or guys like Claude Giroux getting drafted in the 20s.

Heck, lets just say Jones does become a superstar d-man (maybe a Norris winner), does it really matter to us if MacKinnon (or even Drouin) end up being a top 30 scorer in the NHL?? We solidify our top line forward spot for the next 10+ yrs and still get a player that works best for what we're doing long term. Our team would be better off then with the forward even if the d-man will become the better player.

Maybe the fact that many Norris trophy winners aren't top 5 picks makes me feel like it doesnt matter where you draft a d-man, cause you can always find a #1 guy with a little luck. Seriously, in the last 30 yrs, only 2 Norris trophy winners was selected in the top 5 and that was Pronger & Niedermayer. There have been more 2nd rounders that have won the Norris Trophy in the last 30 yrs than I thought there would be too.
great post

Old
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:

Dude, get lost. We dont need you trolling our board, just like you do everywhere else.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1412667

Old
04-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post

Last year the Panthers had a goal differential of -24. Out of teams that made the playoff the Caps were next worst at -8, the next worst after that was the Sens at +9. They also play in the easiest division in all of hockey.

The Panthers were very lucky to make the playoffs last year and had a lot of things go their way.

This year they haven't been as fortunate.

As a franchise they're not as bad as they've looked this season but they also aren't as good as they looked two seasons ago. They've got lots of good young prospects/players but they're still a couple seasons away from starting to be key performers or in some cases even NHLers. Next season far to many many things would have to work in their favour to even make the playoffs.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM
AwesomePanthers
Atlantic winners

Quote:
Last year the Panthers had a goal differential of -24. Out of teams that made the playoff the Caps were next worst at -8, the next worst after that was the Sens at +9. They also play in the easiest division in all of hockey.

The Panthers were very lucky to make the playoffs last year and had a lot of things go their way.

This year they haven't been as fortunate.

As a franchise they're not as bad as they've looked this season but they also aren't as good as they looked two seasons ago. They've got lots of good young prospects/players but they're still a couple seasons away from starting to be key performers or in some cases even NHLers. Next season far to many many things would have to work in their favour to even make the playoffs.
We were still 38-26-18. We won many close games, and lost some blowouts. People tend to overestimate the goal-differental. Who cares if you lose 0-1, 3-4 or 0-8?! It's the points that count.

"Lucky" lol..

Old
04-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
We were still 38-26-18. We won many close games, and lost some blowouts. People tend to overestimate the goal-differental. Who cares if you lose 0-1, 3-4 or 0-8?! It's the points that count.

"Lucky" lol..
In the last 5 years out of teams to make the playoff the next closest team in terms of having as poor of a goal differential was the Sens in 09-10 with a -13.

Goal differential over the course of 82 games for the most part does tell a story and a teams goal differential is usually in line with that teams place in the standings.

The Panthers were a complete anomoly to that rule.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:13 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
In the last 5 years out of teams to make the playoff the next closest team in terms of having as poor of a goal differential was the Sens in 09-10 with a -13.

Goal differential over the course of 82 games for the most part does tell a story and a teams goal differential is usually in line with that teams place in the standings.

we still got to game7 2OT vs devils, thats better than every single team in the playoffs except the kings.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:13 PM
AwesomePanthers
Atlantic winners

Quote:

And still the only team in the east to force Devils to elimination game, and lost in double OT. Goal-differential doesn't mean ****, I couldn't care less if we were -50 or more as long as we make the playoffs.

But lets get back on topic. This discussion is idiotic.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

So some Avs fans agreed on the main board that if we end up 1-2 in the draft, 1st for 2nd + Aittokallio (and they'd take Jones) seems fair according to them.

Thoughts? A goalie prospect is a huge need for this team IMO and I'd much rather have that than a mid-round pick.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Well let's say Jones is picked by the Panthers, most likely they won't be picking a defenseman in the 2nd. So then you're talking about a defenseman in the first and a forward in the second. That's bad value for your draft picks. It might indicate that the Panthers are more likely to pick a forward in the first.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Well let's say Jones is picked by the Panthers, most likely they won't be picking a defenseman in the 2nd. So then you're talking about a defenseman in the first and a forward in the second. That's bad value for your draft picks. It might indicate that the Panthers are more likely to pick a forward in the first.
huh? why

Closed Thread