So.... Brossoit

Old
05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
So.... Brossoit

Stoned the hitmen last night.

12-4 with. 941 in playoffs, I wonder how he will do in the Portland rematch. Reinhart has been out, mvp talks already

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:12 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Dude hes a bust, Flames have ZERO goaltending prospects. Shut up and trade us for Ben Bishop already

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Dude hes a bust, Flames have ZERO goaltending prospects. Shut up and trade us for Ben Bishop already
Quote. For. Truth.

Calgary has absolutely no prospects what-so-ever. Goaltending is just one of the three positions they have no stock in.
I hope Kipper can play for another decade until we get at least one that might be able to take over at some time

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 500
Too many , it's making me think you guys aren't being serious. Its time we started trading all our players over the age of 18 for what ever draft picks we can get... YOU HAVE TO REBUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT!

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Ferkland
Bennett is 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Too many , it's making me think you guys aren't being serious. Its time we started trading all our players over the age of 18 for what ever draft picks we can get... YOU HAVE TO REBUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT!
Did someone say Ownership?

Ferkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:40 PM
MarkGio

This goaltending depth is a good problem to have. We saw what happened to Irving, a first round pick that took forever to find out he couldn't have the job. Mind you, I still believe he was mismanaged, but I digress.

Or be a team like Philly that's been searching for a goalie since the 90s

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:48 PM
tyflames

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
This goaltending depth is a good problem to have. We saw what happened to Irving, a first round pick that took forever to find out he couldn't have the job. Mind you, I still believe he was mismanaged, but I digress.

Or be a team like Philly that's been searching for a goalie since the 90s
Philly is probably losing sleep over watching Bobrovsky play this year.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Brewster

You guys have an great one in Brossoit. Kudos for a solid late draft selection, wish the Oilers made more of these type of sleeper picks.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Until one of our goalie prospects dominate in the AHL, I'll be unconvinced. Mind you, I like what I've seen/heard about Brossoit/Gillies/Ortio, but they could easily be the next wave of Irving/Keetley/Lalande/McElhinney.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:39 AM
nogger
ploffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Until one of our goalie prospects dominate in the AHL, I'll be unconvinced. Mind you, I like what I've seen/heard about Brossoit/Gillies/Ortio, but they could easily be the next wave of Irving/Keetley/Lalande/McElhinney.
I'm leaning more towards Roy/Brodeur/Dryden/Hasek

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Noori

Lean that far and you'll fall over.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
tyflames

Quote:
Irving played very well in the AHL a few years back, was the heat MVP I believe. That's the year he should have been brought up and given a shot. I feel as though we held him down there too long.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Lean that far and you'll fall over
with joy at how awesome our goalies are

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
iggyfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Irving played very well in the AHL a few years back, was the heat MVP I believe. That's the year he should have been brought up and given a shot. I feel as though we held him down there too long.
The Flames hurt Irving in his development. For the last two years in Abby we put Taylor and Brust ahead of him. He wasn't even sitting on the bench! He needed to be a starter in the last two seasons in the AHL! If that happened we would have seen a different Irving in the NHL.

I really hope we improve on how we develop players. Were the players that we drafted who never worked out the fault of our development or simply busts. I believe it is the former.

iggyfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:12 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyfan8 View Post
The Flames hurt Irving in his development. For the last two years in Abby we put Taylor and Brust ahead of him. He wasn't even sitting on the bench! He needed to be a starter in the last two seasons in the AHL! If that happened we would have seen a different Irving in the NHL.

I really hope we improve on how we develop players. Were the players that we drafted who never worked out the fault of our development or simply busts. I believe it is the former.
Exactly right. The guy never got a chance to be #1 in the AHL. How was he ever supposed to figure out how to be a #1 guy in the NHL.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I'm not sure about that. Irving's fundamentals are extremely poor. He's athletic, but he's always out of position and his rebound control is awful. If he'd always been this way, I'm guessing the Flames thought they could work with him but just from watching him play, he's not good enough.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Exactly right. The guy never got a chance to be #1 in the AHL. How was he ever supposed to figure out how to be a #1 guy in the NHL.
Disagree completely. His first pro year, Irving was the starter and played 47 games. The next year he shared the net a lot more with David Shantz. In his 3rd year he was the unquestioned starter with 61 games. The following year, he still had the most starts, got injured, and Taylor came in and had significantly better numbers.

This year, yes, it was strange how he was behind Brust and Taylor, but he was still the backup on the big team. He was given chances but clearly didn't impress.

Irving got plenty of opportunities both here and in the AHL. He failed to capitalize because he was simply not good enough.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Disagree completely. His first pro year, Irving was the starter and played 47 games. The next year he shared the net a lot more with David Shantz. In his 3rd year he was the unquestioned starter with 61 games. The following year, he still had the most starts, got injured, and Taylor came in and had significantly better numbers.

This year, yes, it was strange how he was behind Brust and Taylor, but he was still the backup on the big team. He was given chances but clearly didn't impress.

Irving got plenty of opportunities both here and in the AHL. He failed to capitalize because he was simply not good enough.
I'd agree with this. Irving got a string of starts in the NHL this year. If he'd impressed, we never would have signed Joey Mac, and he'd be essentially in line to be our starter next season, or at least our 1B with Ramo. He makes highlight reel saves, but he also lets in bad goals which deflate the team.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
MarkGio

The thing is, Irving did impress. His fundamentals looked sound compared to Karlsson and he carried the Heat in the playoffs 2 years ago. But the Flames didn't give him the next step.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
I'd agree with this. Irving got a string of starts in the NHL this year. If he'd impressed, we never would have signed Joey Mac, and he'd be essentially in line to be our starter next season, or at least our 1B with Ramo. He makes highlight reel saves, but he also lets in bad goals which deflate the team.
Calgary's Devan Dubnyk, albeit a shorter version, with moderately worse positioning?

Old
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. Irving's fundamentals are extremely poor. He's athletic, but he's always out of position and his rebound control is awful. If he'd always been this way, I'm guessing the Flames thought they could work with him but just from watching him play, he's not good enough.
Roger. Whereas Brossoit, Ortio, and Gilles are all known for having good fundamentals to varying degrees, so far. Ortio's big thing would be the transition to a smaller ice surface, which I think affects goalies more than skaters.

Quote:
The thing is, Irving did impress. His fundamentals looked sound compared to Karlsson and he carried the Heat in the playoffs 2 years ago. But the Flames didn't give him the next step.
An NHLer having better goaltending fundamentals than Karlsson is like building a car with better safety than a Ford Pinto. It's more of a requirement than a bonus.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 3000
Quote:
That's also true. It seemed like he might have lost a bit of passion being stuck in the minors. But surely a goalie of that age would prefer to be starting in the AHL rather than backing up in the NHL, right? This isn't an uncommon problem for organization with an elite starting goalie in the NHL. Schneider was also with the Moose for a while, but only improved.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Roger. Whereas Brossoit, Ortio, and Gilles are all known for having good fundamentals to varying degrees, so far. Ortio's big thing would be the transition to a smaller ice surface, which I think affects goalies more than skaters.
I had also heard that he had trouble adjusting to the pace of the game, hopefully being a few years older and more comfortable in his body, he can come in and Kiprusoff it for us.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
tyflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
That's also true. It seemed like he might have lost a bit of passion being stuck in the minors. But surely a goalie of that age would prefer to be starting in the AHL rather than backing up in the NHL, right? This isn't an uncommon problem for organization with an elite starting goalie in the NHL. Schneider was also with the Moose for a while, but only improved.
And early on lots of people viewed him as the next goalie behind kipper so it's not like the organization didnt have confidence in him. They just lost it when he didn't preform.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyfan8 View Post

So what about the development of Taylor and Brust? Why don't they get the same consideration? How do we know they won't come out of nowhere to be the next surprise super-goalie of the NHL? I like to think that those in charge of making icetime decisions are basing their decisions on merit and also have some degree of hockey sense. That said, Irving did get a chance via call-up when he probably didn't deserve to be ahead of Brust or Taylor and didn't blow anyone away. I thought he made some good saves but looked scrambly and shaken when the game became difficult.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote