HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders GM Garth Snow expects to build on solid nucleus from within

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-13-2013, 09:09 PM
  #1
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,146
vCash: 129
Islanders GM Garth Snow expects to build on solid nucleus from within

The biggest speculation has been about Nabby's future with the team. He accounted for every win except one, but struggled against the Pens..


http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter

Snow has no plans to go for broke on the free-agent or trade market this offseason, not with the solid core he's built through the draft and waiver wire.

"I don't think there will be too many changes," Snow said. "We want to continue down the road we started. We're just as excited about the prospects we have as the team that played this season. We've had some really good drafts and we have a prospect pool we like, not just some of the players at Bridgeport. It bodes well for the future."

There are several unrestricted free agents, including goaltender Evgeni Nabokov, captain Mark Streit and wing Brad Boyes.

Snow had contract extension talks with the agents for all three during the season and that will continue up to the July 5 start of free agency.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:17 PM
  #2
startainfection*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 7,654
vCash: 500
"If there's an opportunity to improve the club through trade or free agency, we'll leave no stone unturned. We know we need to get better and we're going to address it."

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:38 PM
  #3
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,146
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
"If there's an opportunity to improve the club through trade or free agency, we'll leave no stone unturned. We know we need to get better and we're going to address it."
This has to be the 4th straight offseason, Snow has made that comment.....due diligence, explore all options.

There have already been calls for Snow to go get a bigtime goalie: Mckenzie says get Luongo. Brooks wrote that Wang/Snow have to spend. Snow will not toss Wang under the bus, by making payroll an issue.


I expect he'll talk to plenty of agents and gms, then continue with his conservative approach. Instead of a major addition, he'll make low key additions.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #4
seabass45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,694
vCash: 500
No point in showing your cards this early. There's a lot of potential movement, he'll be involved in talks.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 09:52 PM
  #5
Islanderfan72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Not really news. I expect the Islanders to do this. I do see them inquiring about goalies since it is the one need that can not be internally filled right away.

Impact players will come internally, never by free agency and rarely by trade.

Plus I don't really think this is the wrong method. Its worked well so far. Build through the draft and smart acquisitions. Big free agents rarely pan out. We are not a team that can recover from a bad FA deal.

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:09 PM
  #6
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 5,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
No point in showing your cards this early. There's a lot of potential movement, he'll be involved in talks.
this....if there is a trade to be made, id assume he will do it

1a. upgrade nabby
1b. sign nabby

2. LEGIT top 6 wing (via trade or FA)

3. top 4 dman

we all know this and its not rocket science, but this is exactly what we need if we want to win a round in the playoffs next year, which should now be the expectation

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
  #7
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
Not really news. I expect the Islanders to do this. I do see them inquiring about goalies since it is the one need that can not be internally filled right away.

Impact players will come internally, never by free agency and rarely by trade.

Plus I don't really think this is the wrong method. Its worked well so far. Build through the draft and smart acquisitions. Big free agents rarely pan out. We are not a team that can recover from a bad FA deal.
Agree! I'm pretty glad we didn't get ehrhoff a few years back in hindsight

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:11 PM
  #8
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Garth made it his philosophy to build through the draft. He hasn't strayed away from it. He has stayed committed to his philosophy. It might not be what we want, and of course I would like to see a solid free agent acquisition but he has stayed committed to the draft and I respect him for that. Maybe he can only build through the draft because of the financial restrictions of the owner. Yet, I think he has done a good job through his philosophy and whatever FAs sign with us, hopefully they will be solid ones.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:18 PM
  #9
lacunacoil777
Registered User
 
lacunacoil777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Team waiver wire may have trouble bringing in new players...teams that finish last get first shot at the waiver wire... Hopefully we can sign some great AHL castoffs.... Has building through the draft really worked out so well? All our first round picks are useless except taveres...and most Islander fans werent born when the Isles last won a playoff round. Yet the devils and ranger fans get to see playoff round victories every year or two. Just one playoff series win every decade would be great.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 10:41 PM
  #10
Poliz24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: LI
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
Team waiver wire may have trouble bringing in new players...teams that finish last get first shot at the waiver wire... Hopefully we can sign some great AHL castoffs.... Has building through the draft really worked out so well? All our first round picks are useless except taveres...and most Islander fans werent born when the Isles last won a playoff round. Yet the devils and ranger fans get to see playoff round victories every year or two. Just one playoff series win every decade would be great.
Patience is a virtue. Not every first rounder plays right away. Look at Kadri on the leafs, was in the AHL for awhile and now is finally producing.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:00 PM
  #11
Satan'sIsland81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
I really hope our bozo GM and owner dont get too cocky now thinking we can continue to progress by just building around prospects and draft picks and ice a team of rookies. Now is the time to start adding vets in their prime to fill key holes (goalie, top line winger, top 4 d-man). We could fill all three holes with top quality players and still probably be 10 million under the cap for how low our payroll is.

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:10 PM
  #12
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Yeah, this isn't a particularly surprising article. The core of this team will continue to grow and mature together. They took a huge step this past season and I just don't think he'll Maloneyize (summer 1993) this team.

Given this is an offseason where teams will be cutting back on payroll...he may be a bit more active looking for a top line winger, perhaps a top 1-2 dman and goalie. And given the increase in respectability for the franchise...he may actually get a few more ears listening to what he has to say.

But, these core players (Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, Nino, Strome, MacDonald, etc) aren't going anywhere.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
  #13
Islander102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
Team waiver wire may have trouble bringing in new players...teams that finish last get first shot at the waiver wire... Hopefully we can sign some great AHL castoffs.... Has building through the draft really worked out so well? All our first round picks are useless except taveres...and most Islander fans werent born when the Isles last won a playoff round. Yet the devils and ranger fans get to see playoff round victories every year or two. Just one playoff series win every decade would be great.
No.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 11:42 PM
  #14
giddy up*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Yeah, this isn't a particularly surprising article. The core of this team will continue to grow and mature together. They took a huge step this past season and I just don't think he'll Maloneyize (summer 1993) this team.

Given this is an offseason where teams will be cutting back on payroll...he may be a bit more active looking for a top line winger, perhaps a top 1-2 dman and goalie. And given the increase in respectability for the franchise...he may actually get a few more ears listening to what he has to say.

But, these core players (Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, Nino, Strome, MacDonald, etc) aren't going anywhere.
I wouldn't put nino in the "aren't going anywhere" category

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 01:20 AM
  #15
IslesNorway
Registered User
 
IslesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Nittedal, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
No one should be surprised at this and rightly so. There are enough prospects to make up for a few departures but if he does his job and gets JT a real winger and a proper top 4 Dman a lot is done. Now sprinkle that with the likes of Nelson, Strome and Donovan and we're good to go.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 02:23 AM
  #16
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,323
vCash: 250
Quote:
Snow would not divulge coach Jack Capuano's contract status, nor that of his assistants, but did say, "I expect the entire coaching staff to be back."
****!

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 03:27 AM
  #17
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,463
vCash: 500
We're not spending. We're spending the summer we go into Brooklyn. It's not about winning but looking good. History proves that. In fact, we're not looking BAD at all, so expect the low expectations to be paramount, and our desire to go the course to be the approach.

Boyes gets a good guy extension, Strome a feeler, Nino time to mature, Nelson a shot at line 1 with Boyes there as our safety net, Nabby might get let go and another round of find an old but good goalie comes in August when prices drop.

NEXT summer.....we'll add a high priced winger with buzz and my cheap-but-probably-dead-on prediction is we get two solid guys who kinda fit and sign them to long term deals to assure the Ranger fans in Brooklyn and the Isles fans contemplating the trip to Brooklyn once or twice a month that Wang is {yet again} serious about the team and expects to win with the new mantle pieces.

Luckily......this new Yashin and Peca or Hamrlik or whoever he spends big on will have Tavares and likely one other successful prospect. Yes, I predict one of the kids will be a success bigtime, likely Reinhart and not Strome, who I think will be a very good but possibly limited-by-size winger.

So maybe we resemble the Kings if we're lucky and one goalie of the three headed prospect tandem is successful.


But this summer coming up.....more of the same IMHO.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
  #18
Trollmonic
Registered User
 
Trollmonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
We're not spending. We're spending the summer we go into Brooklyn. It's not about winning but looking good. History proves that. In fact, we're not looking BAD at all, so expect the low expectations to be paramount, and our desire to go the course to be the approach.

Boyes gets a good guy extension, Strome a feeler, Nino time to mature, Nelson a shot at line 1 with Boyes there as our safety net, Nabby might get let go and another round of find an old but good goalie comes in August when prices drop.

NEXT summer.....we'll add a high priced winger with buzz and my cheap-but-probably-dead-on prediction is we get two solid guys who kinda fit and sign them to long term deals to assure the Ranger fans in Brooklyn and the Isles fans contemplating the trip to Brooklyn once or twice a month that Wang is {yet again} serious about the team and expects to win with the new mantle pieces.

Luckily......this new Yashin and Peca or Hamrlik or whoever he spends big on will have Tavares and likely one other successful prospect. Yes, I predict one of the kids will be a success bigtime, likely Reinhart and not Strome, who I think will be a very good but possibly limited-by-size winger.

So maybe we resemble the Kings if we're lucky and one goalie of the three headed prospect tandem is successful.


But this summer coming up.....more of the same IMHO.
As much as I hate agreeing with you
I agree with you.

My pipe dream is to grab Bernier in a deal for our 1st and a mid level prospect. Otherwise I don't see anything more dramatic than what you described.

Although maybe after Wang saw the benjamins from the playoffs he might want to be a little more aggressive in building this team up. A few semi higher profile moves will sell more season tickets and keep the Isles name in the press in a positive light. But this is Wang where logic gets thrown out the window.

Trollmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
  #19
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Fine with this but Boyes needs to go he is addition by subtraction. It's a real shame we didn't keep parentau because niño and strome weren't knocking down the door as quick as some thought

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 07:40 AM
  #20
mikemustgo13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Build from within is SNOWSPEAK for "I can't spend any money". To get to next level, team needs top defensive defenseman to play with Viz, and a real scorer to play with JT. I'm not asking for superstars, but REAL NHL experienced players.

mikemustgo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:21 AM
  #21
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!
 
Twine Seeking Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Suck-town
Country: United States
Posts: 7,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliz24 View Post
Garth made it his philosophy to build through the draft. He hasn't strayed away from it. He has stayed committed to his philosophy. It might not be what we want, and of course I would like to see a solid free agent acquisition but he has stayed committed to the draft and I respect him for that. Maybe he can only build through the draft because of the financial restrictions of the owner. Yet, I think he has done a good job through his philosophy and whatever FAs sign with us, hopefully they will be solid ones.
1. BINGO!

2. Not his philosophy. See #1.

**** Wang. **** the organization. Really wish I didn't love this team so much because I ****ing HATE everyone else involved. Until Wang sells, this team will NEVER take the next step.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:26 AM
  #22
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,834
vCash: 500
Building from within is the right approach. Let these guys grow up together and mature together and they will bring along the prospects. I like the direction. Always have.

This summer the cap goes down and there will be a bunch of decent players that were overpaid available for the right price to fill in some holes.

We're on the road to perpetual competitor and OTH is right I think about the splash coming before the move, not this summer.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:32 AM
  #23
seabass45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,694
vCash: 500
FWIW, I don't think he needs to send dump trucks of money to a Paul Martin or Christian Erhoff this offseason (and in retrospect, it probably worked out better for us in the long run). I have no idea who will be available but you'd have to think there are some quality defensemen on reasonable contracts. Luca Sbisa caught my eye as an option.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:37 AM
  #24
Trollmonic
Registered User
 
Trollmonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
FWIW, I don't think he needs to send dump trucks of money to a Paul Martin or Christian Erhoff this offseason (and in retrospect, it probably worked out better for us in the long run). I have no idea who will be available but you'd have to think there are some quality defensemen on reasonable contracts. Luca Sbisa caught my eye as an option.
As someone who has watched Free Agency intently for the past decade, there are very few "reasonable contracts" for any halfway decent player. It takes just one out of whack contract to set the market and the rest of the FAs fall into line.

The reasonable contracts are the guys who just want playing time or are barely clinging to stay in the league.

Trollmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2013, 08:56 AM
  #25
CaptDenisPotvin
Registered User
 
CaptDenisPotvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,011
vCash: 500
I see us addressing 1 of the 3 needs for this team in the offseason. My guess would be a solid defensive defenseman. The top six winger we need will have to come from within. I dont see nabby starting for anyone else so his best chance at the most playing time is here...probably a 1 year deal and the teams hope is that at some point throughout the season Poulin outplays nabby and takes over the reigns.

I did mention at the trade deadline that briere is the contract that snow/wang likes with a much higher cap hit than money they actually have to pay him. And now with rumbling about thomas wanting to play in phili that might be a trade to consider...my pipe dream is bernier but realistically is a defenseman, same forwards and same goalies...improve by maturing

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.