HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix vs. San Jose, Sept. 24: Game report

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 11:56 PM
c9orf

vCash: 500
Phoenix vs. San Jose, Sept. 24: Game report

Earlier tonight, I saw the pre-season game between the Coyotes and Sharks (Final score: 3-0 for the Sharks) here in Portland, and I thought I'd share my observations.

First and foremost, yes, it's definitely the pre-season! A certain amount of stumbling, inaccurate passing, and general disorganization is to be expected. I've taken these things into account.

Generally speaking, we looked pretty bad. As in the previous pre-season games, the Yotes were outshot each period, and took a lot of penalties (with Simpson and Nagy accounting for nearly all of them). There were intervals, mostly in the second period, where Phoenix applied legitimate pressure for 30-90 seconds after a turnover, but I don't recall any impressive rushes. And although adding Vaananen and Suchy to the defence will help, I am not optimistic.

Defence pairings:

Knyazev-Wilson
Ference-Mara
Simpson-Bezina

For whatever reason, I paid more attention to the defence. Knyazev looked competent, and carried the puck over the red line on one or two occasions, but did nothing to convince me that he has offensive ability. Wilson was very solid. Ference seemed to be trying, and was aggressive in front of our net. Mara did nothing, and at least once failed to keep the puck in on a (rare) powerplay because of sheer laziness. Simpson was all over the place! He was the most energetic Coyote. Unfortunately, he's also still the same guy - he took some dumb penalties, was deked out of his jockstrap on the second(?) goal, and has no offensive ability (although his enthusiasm got him into some useful positions). Bezina looked out of his league - he nearly scored an own-goal, and was out of position a couple of times.

Offense:

(Lines not noted)

I paid closest attention to the newer guys, but the vets like Langkow and Doan were the only ones who made a sustained contribution to the attack. I thought Westrum forechecked well on the PK, though. Sjostrom was hard to notice - he made a decent pass on one good scoring chance, but if he has any fancy puckhandling skills he hides them well. Taffe was more impressive; although he didn't contribute all that much to the attack, he played a more rounded game, and intercepted a couple of passes. One Ferraro played, but didn't really register with me. Cleary looked good on a couple of occasions, and seemed to be able to hang on to the puck for a while in the offensive end (unlike most of our guys).

Nazarov played quite a bit. He hasn't gotten any faster.

Burke played the whole game(?!), and looked half-decent. He made the easy saves, and didn't make any of the really hard saves.

Conclusion:

I think we're dead meat. Obviously our offense will be somewhat better than this (add Sillinger, Hrdina, and Gratton and subtract some of the bums), but I'm not convinced that our defense will be adequate. The Sharks played a bunch of people I've never heard of (other than Cheechoo, Rathje, Harvey, and Dimitrakos [who I vaguely remember]), but they were much more disciplined and capable of effectively rushing the puck. And, uh, the Sharks aren't exactly a powerhouse.

It was still fun, though.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:16 AM
c9orf

A "kid line": Cleary, Taffe, and Sjostrom.

I was too busy photographing to pay proper attention to whose (failed) breakaway this was, but I think it was Nagy.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Hordichuk_24

Simpson had a good scoring opportunity too. He also had a real good hit on Dimitrakos.

Thanks for the pictures. I don't recall Nagy getting a breakaway. Johnson did though. Besides the player in the picture is a right handed shot. So it can't be Nagy.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:30 AM
c9orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Johnson did though. Besides the player in the picture is a right handed shot. So it can't be Nagy.
Thanks. I stand corrected - it must have been Johnson.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad+Croutons
Thanks. I stand corrected - it must have been Johnson.
No problem. I just figured it was a typo or something.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:22 AM
hbk

Just an observation. It seems like the coaching staff is icing line combinations / defensive combinations that they plan to use either on the pro squad or in the AHL (Cleary, Taffe, Sjostrom)/(Knyazev, Wilson)/(Ference/Mara). Seems to be more of a plan.

Our defense is our weakness and we will be exposed by the more skilled teams. Glad to see Burke played well. he's going to have to.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:05 AM
eye

Thank you for the report S and C. It's very much appreciated. Now out of the prospects that you saw play last night, do you see any of them becoming impact NHL players? Of the veterans are any of them in trouble to remain in the plans of this team?

Old
09-25-2003, 09:18 AM
c9orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
Thank you for the report S and C. It's very much appreciated. Now out of the prospects that you saw play last night, do you see any of them becoming impact NHL players? Of the veterans are any of them in trouble to remain in the plans of this team?
Naturally, I can't make any confident predictions on the basis of a brief exposure, and I'm a bit wary of judging finesse players in the pre-season. For them, timing is everything - and everyone still looks rusty out there. It's especially evident during power plays, which look painfully confused.

However...

Taffe looks like an NHLer. He seemed more confident than the other rookies, and was more aggressive. I didn't see anything to suggest that he'll be a star/impact player, but he looked good. Sjostrom seemed to lack energy, and didn't impress me. Since he's a finesse guy I'll reserve judgement, but I think he still has a lot to prove. Knyazev looked OK, but he's a bit small. Based on what I saw, he looked like a future 6th defenceman. Again, these observations don't count for much, but none of the prospects really impressed me.

As for the vets, well, most of their jobs look safe. Taffe will probably end up with the 4th line center job at some point, so whoever starts the season with that role should be updating his resume.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Great post & pics S&C cheers

Old
09-25-2003, 11:58 AM
rmp

Did Kolanos play in this one?

Old
09-25-2003, 12:13 PM
c9orf

Yes, Kolanos played, and I thought he looked pretty good (for the brief time that I was watching him).

Old
09-25-2003, 12:18 PM
PhoPhan

Nice work, and thank you much.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:25 PM
ulf

thx salad...too bad they didn't play better.

with 15 fwd's with a legit chance to stay up[including taffe] wonder who will be in the press box to start the year.

nash wilson cleary taffe and naz seem to be the guys fighting it out for the 4th line duties.

burke better allow less than 2.5 goals per game or we'll be in trouble.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:05 PM
XX
Lots of Try

How was the crowd in portland?

Old
09-25-2003, 04:09 PM
c9orf

The place was about two thirds full (~6000 people in my estimation). The crowd was mixed, but the majority were SJ fans, as you would expect considering the relative proximity of the two cities. People seemed to have a good time, but it's still difficult to imagine this city with a future NHL franchise.

Closed Thread