Explosions at Marathon Part 14

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Neely08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
I was an Army officer stationed in Louisiana from 1962-64 and the same thing happened there, particularly to black people.

I had a young, black Private in my unit who was held in a segregated hell-hole of a jail for 5 months with no charges. I went to confront the local sheriff about it. I was told that the kid was a passenger in a car with stolen tires in the trunk. When I asked about evidence and when charges would be brought I was told "hell, Lootenant, he was in the car, the tires were in the car and he's a ******. And that's all the evidence we need around here."

I pressed the Army Judge Advocate General to intervene and, after more time passed, he was released without any charges filed. Basically he had served a jail sentence.

The conditions in that "jail" were so scummy it is hard to describe. The whole episode was a shock to me, along with other episodes like a cross burning in the yard of one of the black enlisted men on the base. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
Heartfelt thanks for your service, Alan.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:44 PM
trenton1
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
He was convicted of domestic violence and since he was an immigrant he should have been deported but he wasn't.INS at it's finest.
he should have been thrown out forever after that day in court. why let a violent offender stay? No reason at all. They deny him citizenship--acknowledging he is unworthy because of violence, but let him stick around to perpetrate some more. If you have an opportunity to lawfully take out the trash i think you have to do it.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Barstool Sports has raised $135k to be donated to charities to help the victims in ONE DAY by selling shirts. For comparison, the Red Sox donated 100k.

Say what you want about that site and El Pres, but that's an amazing feat, kudos to him and everyone who has bought a shirt so far.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
he should have been thrown out forever after that day in court. why let a violent offender stay? No reason at all. They deny him citizenship--acknowledging he is unworthy because of violence, but let him stick around to perpetrate some more. If you have an opportunity to lawfully take out the trash i think you have to do it.
It reminds me of a story my dad used to tell us about about how one day he was working(he was NYPD) in the 70's and they picked up a Saudi national with cocaine. The guy claimed his uncle was with embassy yadda yadda. So the booked him and had to go to night court with him. He tried to get a hold of someone from the embassy but couldn't before the trial. He got convicted. The judge ordered him out of the country asap. They then had to drive him to the airport,book him a flight and put on it that night. That was in the 70's.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:17 AM
trenton1
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
It reminds me of a story my dad used to tell us about about how one day he was working(he was NYPD) in the 70's and they picked up a Saudi national with cocaine. The guy claimed his uncle was with embassy yadda yadda. So the booked him and had to go to night court with him. He tried to get a hold of someone from the embassy but couldn't before the trial. He got convicted. The judge ordered him out of the country asap. They then had to drive him to the airport,book him a flight and put on it that night. That was in the 70's.
Night court didn't mess around! I'm sure your dad has some great stories from those days in nyc.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Lost Horizons
On the warpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
Night court didn't mess around! I'm sure your dad has some great stories from those days in nyc.
He's got tons of stories from the time he started in the late 60's until he retired from the NYPD in 90. Some funny. Some nasty. Some sad and tragic. He's always got something. Anything from busting drug dealers to guarding celebrities to busts gone bad to guys getting injured or killed in the line of duty. Hell he could dish the dirt on now former commish Ray Kelly who he used to work with in the mid 70's. He still involve with the police even now just on sort of an on call basis here in Mass . Just the other day he told us he came home from a detail and the neighbors little kid asked him if he was out looking for the "bad guys who did the bombing" He said no because he wasn't. He was just doing traffic in town. I wish I was there when he said it to the kid because when he told us the story about the kid asking he sounded a little sad that he wasn't out there looking for them. Can't really be doing those things at his age but you can tell he still want's to. I don't think he ever wanted to retire from the NYPD but my mom made him. Once a cop always a cop.

Last edited by Lost Horizons: 04-23-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 01:34 AM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Barstool Sports has raised $135k to be donated to charities to help the victims in ONE DAY by selling shirts. For comparison, the Red Sox donated 100k.

Say what you want about that site and El Pres, but that's an amazing feat, kudos to him and everyone who has bought a shirt so far.
Amen to that. Goes to show how much they really are dedicated to the community, as this really is not the first time they have done something charitable like this.

Plan on getting a shirt as soon as I have the money to.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:23 AM
amazingcrwns
drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Amen to that. Goes to show how much they really are dedicated to the community, as this really is not the first time they have done something charitable like this.

Plan on getting a shirt as soon as I have the money to.
I picked up the Believe in Boston (Blue & Gold Ribbon) T-Shirt from Sully's and it arrived in the mail yesterday. According to a post on their website yesterday they've sold over 2600 T-Shirts already and are close to making a $50,000 donation to The One Fund.

I forget who posted the original link to Sully's, but I found it here on this board and I wanted to thank whoever it was for sharing that information.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post

Impressive... anyone knows how much Jacobs gave ?

Old
04-23-2013, 07:38 AM
feverz28

Bloomberg Says Interpretation of Constitution Will ‘Have to Change’ After Boston Bombing

http://politicker.com/2013/04/bloomb...ave-to-change/

Old
04-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Bad Hat Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by caballo blanco View Post
impressive... Anyone knows how much jacobs gave ?
$100,000

Old
04-23-2013, 07:42 AM
sooshii
SISU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Except the guy didn't get his citizenship in 2011, but 2012.

The date a person receives his citizenship is absolutely, totally random. Anyone searching for some sort of symbolism in that is really reaching.
I've seen you say this several times, but it's just not true. Citizenship ceremonies are often held on auspicious dates such as July 4, Sept 11, MLK day.

http://www.wgbhnews.org/post/becoming-us-citizen-911
Quote:
More than 2,500 immigrants living in Massachusetts became U.S. citizens on Sept. 11, 2012 during a naturalization ceremony in Boston.

Thousands gathered inside TD Garden, home of the Boston Bruins, for the ceremony. They sat on folding chairs where the Bruins ice would usually be. Images of stars and stripes adorned the LED screens ringing the arena.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by feverz28 View Post
Bloomberg Says Interpretation of Constitution Will ‘Have to Change’ After Boston Bombing

Thank god we have the supreme intellectual Hizzoner to interpret it for the rest of us who are only idiots.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Bad Hat Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
I've seen you say this several times, but it's just not true. Citizenship ceremonies are often held on auspicious dates such as July 4, Sept 11, MLK day.

http://www.wgbhnews.org/post/becoming-us-citizen-911
The person receiving citizenship can't choose the date they receive their citizenship.

It's random in that you get whatever day the government gives you.

The do sometimes increase the number of people getting citizenship on important dates so they can hold big ceremonies and make a big show out of it.

But you can't choose to receive your citizenship on 9/11 or have any say in the process.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:49 AM
blackngold4877

Quote:

This isnt really shocking from the guy that basically voted himself a third term.

Old
04-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold4877 View Post
This isnt really shocking from the guy that basically voted himself a third term.
I'm waiting him to pull the I'm from Brookline card as he typically does when he either says or does something over the top.

The Constitution needed changes long before Boston and ever pre 9/11. It is starting to get on my nerves that politicians (not local ) are starting to use what happened last Monday to further their agendas. Not cool.

I am Boston Strong

Old
04-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

According to CNN last night they were talking to him. All that I remember is he said no I cannot afford a lawyer. They were also talking a lot about the older brother and younger brother connection.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
I'm waiting him to pull the I'm from Brookline card as he typically does when he either says or does something over the top.

The Constitution needed changes long before Boston and ever pre 9/11. It is starting to get on my nerves that politicians (not local ) are starting to use what happened last Monday to further their agendas. Not cool.
Come on Ali that's what politicians do all the time.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybpr25 View Post
How can he come out of this with anything but the death penalty?
The same way OJ Simpson got away with double murder.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:28 AM
ksp1957

vCash: 1430
Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:

Well, he does have a point even though I have to consult my lawyer to figure out exactly what he said.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Well, he does have a point even though I have to consult my lawyer to figure out exactly what he said.
He makes the real point in all of this. Abraham Lincoln is attributed with stating that "The Constitution is not a suicide pact". Some people are so fervently intent on preserving the Constitution that it blinds them to the fact that it was intended to be a living, breathing document, susceptible to change when the populace determines that such is necessary for the survival of the nation.

We are at that point when it comes to issues such as the "rights" accorded enemies of the state such as these two, birthright citizenship and a number of other existential threats.

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
Voted "Most sarcastic man on Earth" by GloryDaze4877. So Proud.
Old
04-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post

you mean like this?

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion...s_gratitude_no

Old
04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:

What an asshat.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

Perhaps the soda ban amendment could be added next.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:52 AM
OverpaidGrinder

how to hell did i get on the politics board?

Closed Thread