Explosions at Marathon Part 14

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 02:36 PM
BB624

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've been hoping he'd be charged for his bro's death for a while now. Just because.
I am not sure only heard this quickly, but since the FBI is heading the charges don't they have to be related to commerce?

Some one correct me if I am wrong.

The only 2 charges he is facing are

Use of a Weapon of Mass destruction and Malicious Destruction of property resulting in death.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

[QUOTE=Neely08;64449755]You're worried a/b precedence. So am I. No accident all those trauma surgeons were ready at those hospitals. No coincidence you saw all those disparate agencies act in concert so succinctly, under a single command structure, to achieve a single objective. Anyone who works in Public Safety will tell you, this was nothing short of a miracle. But it wasn't a miracle. All of the above prepared, trained, and planned for this. Additional to that, professionals work day and night to prevent this from ever happening. Yet, these two still couldn't be stopped once they put their plan in motion. Even despite a heads up from the Russians.

Slippery slopes go both ways. These two walking stool samples killed 3 people and injured 100+ w/ 2 pressure cookers. They also managed to shut down a whole city. I'm not even going into the ramifications of that. I'm worried a/b when it's a truck w/ 2000 pounds of explosives that kills hundreds. Or a genuine active cell, w/ multiple trucks. Say we get lucky, like we have been for 12 years, interdict and catch one of them. Want to treat fanatical terrorists like bank robbers and people who get caught w/ a joint in their car? This is what the public safety exception to Miranda is for. But I don't think it's enough.

Let them lawyer up, clam up, then watch a city block and hundreds of innocent people go up? All because we couldn't figure out how to draw the distinction between terrorists, and those who the laws were really meant to protect? The innocent.

It's 2013, the nuclear genie is out of the bottle and it's not going back in. A fission device and centrifuges are 1940's technology. Today it's only a matter of attaining the materials. Another 20 years? Wait until it's a whole city, maybe then it will be enough to draw the distinction. Because at that point? You can pretty much take the bill of rights, stick it in a vault, kiss it goodbye, and save it for a smarter generation.

I'm not saying they should crumple up the constitution. But they need to introduce some sort of legislation in specific regard to terrorism, and in all forms, ratified by the supreme court. And, do it before we're in a another situation like this.[/QUOTE

Hi. I come in peace. They killed 4 people. And severely wounded another police officer.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Hi. I come in peace. They killed 4 people. And severely wounded another police officer.
QFT !!!

Old
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
northeastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by hed View Post
He's an American citizen, he deserves the same rights as everybody else.
I disagree. the second you engage in a terrorism against this country and kill innocents you forfeit some of those rights.

He was not read his Miranda rights because he was still essentially a threat and could have had knowledge of future attacks by other possible members of a terror cell. Make him talk, give up everything he knows to keep the population safe, then grant him his rights and send him to a fair trial.

I believe every american deserves their rights, but in some extreme cases in order to protect the population I will accept exceptions. And this is one of those very rare circumstances.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
I don't think you are but everything you said prior** would somewhat require just that to be done. I don't say that as a criticism, and I mostly agree with you. It just goes to show how dicey this is.

Neither of us are lawyers, but it seems that if either of us are remotely correct, some new laws need to be introduced and quickly.

Also, the nuke thing. Look at #2 on this list. Remember reading about this a while back, scary stuff.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dirtybomb/chrono.html

** Edit- Not everything you said, just the suspending their citizen rights bit. I admittedly know next to nothing about the public safety exception.
Nope, President Obama legally possesses the authority to deem him an enemy combatant if the evidence suggests. Already upheld once by the supreme court, Jose Padilla US citizen. Sent by Kalid Shiek Mohammad to blow up a dirty bomb.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Iggy Smalls

Can't believe this mentally stupid kid actually left the incident's worn clothes in his dorm room.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Observing a moment of silence at work should be interesting.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:50 PM
hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
I disagree. the second you engage in a terrorism against this country and kill innocents you forfeit some of those rights.

He was not read his Miranda rights because he was still essentially a threat and could have had knowledge of future attacks by other possible members of a terror cell. Make him talk, give up everything he knows to keep the population safe, then grant him his rights and send him to a fair trial.

I believe every american deserves their rights, but in some extreme cases in order to protect the population I will accept exceptions. And this is one of those very rare circumstances.
I said almost exactly that in my next post.

I'm only in disagreement with the people here who think this guy shouldn't have the right to a lawyer or a trial whatsoever. They want him to go straight to the electric chair with no due process. That's not the way we do business in this country.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
I have no issue with him having a lawyer, a trial and then being put to death.

none.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Took part in the moment of silence myself here in Toronto. Stay strong Boston, your friends North of the border are by your side.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

What happened in Ontario and Quebec today? Saw something on the CNN ticker.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post
I am not sure only heard this quickly, but since the FBI is heading the charges don't they have to be related to commerce?

The only 2 charges he is facing are

Use of a Weapon of Mass destruction and Malicious Destruction of property resulting in death.
If I'm not mistaken the state or city can charge him separately. I could, of course, be mistaken.

04-22-2013, 03:02 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...c-arrests.html

Two people were arrested (one in Montreal, and one in London ON) in connection to an alleged terrorist plot. The two were under investigation by CSIS for over a year and have been linked al Qaeda. Details of the plot haven't been released, but it's suspected that the target was in the US.

They said there are no connection to the Tsarnaevs (no surprise) and no connections to other known al Qaeda "associates" that had been in the area.

Old
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...c-arrests.html

Old
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

none.
Agreed. Lawyer isn't going to make a difference here. His actions the last week already did the talking.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:

none.
Neither do I. Then again, I wouldn't have had an issue with letting him bleed to death in that boat.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:04 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Neither do I. Then again, I wouldn't have had an issue with letting him bleed to death in that boat.
I would. We may never find out what their motivations were, whether they were acting alone or as part of a cell, and so on... but if he died in that boat, there'd be no way to get answers.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:05 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Canada a/b to announce that they thwarted a major terror attack.
Good for the Canadians. I don't want them to have to go through this.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

none.
I don't think anyone disagrees with this.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:07 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Good for the Canadians. I don't want them to have to go through this.
The details are to be revealed around 3:30 but it's suspected that the attack was to take place on US soil.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:08 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:

none.
I agree but as I posted earlier it will be damn near impossible for him to get a fair trial.

Which is why I wanted him declared an enemy combatant because then he'd be tried by a military tribunal, where the rules of law & evidence are different from a civilian criminal court.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:09 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
The details are to be revealed around 3:30 but it's suspected that the attack was to take place on US soil.
In that case thank you Canada for having our backs. You are the best neighbors a country could have.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
CNN said it involved transport links in Canada.

EDIT: FOX News is saying it involved a train bridge in Canada and some targets in New York City. Scary stuff.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB624 View Post

I've never heard of that. You may be thinking of the ATF (alchohol, tobacco and firearms). They deal with commerce, I think.

The FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigations), to put it in simple terms, is basically the national police force.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:13 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I've never heard of that. You may be thinking of the ATF (alchohol, tobacco and firearms). They deal with commerce, I think.

The FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigations), to put it in simple terms, is basically the national police force.
For anyone following the arrests in Ontario and Quebec today, CSIS would be roughly equivalent to the CIA; it's Canada's intelligence organization. I believe most are familiar with the RCMP, which is Canada's national police force.

Closed Thread