HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where do Bickell and Stalberg end up next year?

Old
04-18-2013, 02:38 AM
BEL4SEPICMULLET

vCash: 500
Where do Bickell and Stalberg end up next year?

I know we are focused on the post season coming up, but I think it's interesting to think about where these two may end up next year.

I think Stalberg's speed is less replaceable, and I'll miss him wreaking havoc on the forecheck and burning defenders wide. I think he leaves for a big pay day from Calgary or San Jose and Bickell signs another 3-4 year deal at a hometown discount. If not, I'm guessing he ends up in Montreal or Edmonton. I think it's highly probable, and more likely, that Stan plays hardball and these two both walk and are replaced by Morin and JHayes or someone else in the system, especially given the cap drop next season.

Anyway, I always think it's kind of fun to speculate and look back later after the free agency grab. I was just curious what everyone sees happening with these two.

BEL4SEPICMULLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 03:01 AM
here come the

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL4SEPICMULLET View Post
I know we are focused on the post season coming up, but I think it's interesting to think about where these two may end up next year.

I think Stalberg's speed is less replaceable, and I'll miss him wreaking havoc on the forecheck and burning defenders wide. I think he leaves for a big pay day from Calgary or San Jose and Bickell signs another 3-4 year deal at a hometown discount. If not, I'm guessing he ends up in Montreal or Edmonton. I think it's highly probable, and more likely, that Stan plays hardball and these two both walk and are replaced by Morin and JHayes or someone else in the system, especially given the cap drop next season.

Anyway, I always think it's kind of fun to speculate and look back later after the free agency grab. I was just curious what everyone sees happening with these two.
If they are replaced by Hayes and Morin, we'd be in for a 2011 type year. I think they probably trade Bolland and Frolik, replaceable in the system, and sign both guys

here come the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

they will end up at the team that is the highest bidder and most interested

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:27 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Much richer

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:42 AM
clydesdale line

From all reports Bickell will be the easiest to resign.. but I'd rather have Stalberg back than Bicks.

clydesdale line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

I hope they both are re-signed. Probability low but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
hockeydoug

I have no idea who bids on them but I don't think Bowman lets them both go. Chicago can probably replace Bickell easier than Stalberg so I would imagine Bickell would be out first.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Stalberg will be the next Leino, gonna get paid huge money, who knows who will have the high bid. He's earned it though, can't blame him. There is at least hope of retaining BB on a team friendly deal.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Hawkaholic

I think Chicago's priority will be Stalberg, and could see them giving him 3+mil. He is pretty important to our team speed, and if we lose him it will be a big loss.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:09 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Size and plus speed is a rare commodity.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:11 AM
digdug41982

I agree. I'd hate to see him go. I just can't see how there will not be teams offering huge contracts to him.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I agree. I'd hate to see him go. I just can't see how there will not be teams offering huge contracts to him.
IIRC, there are lots of teams (maybe up to 14) within the same position as us. Not much cap room to sign there own FA's. Teams with lots of cap room aren't normally big spenders either, especially with an inconsistent player like Stalberg. It's possible he get's 4mil, but I don't think a whole lot of teams will offer that much. 'Berg also has to ask himself if he wants to be on a contender, or a basement dweller.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Bickell is the kind of guy that once he starts to get expensive, you move on and use your farm system to replace. I doubt he gets re-signed, you fill his role with someone on an ELC.

I'd like to see Stalberg brought back, but he's gonna get paid.

Both will be replaced adequately by our farm system.

Central PA Hawk Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:52 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I'd love to keep Stalberg, as I don't think he's easily replaceable. Because of his combination of size and speed, I don't think we can afford to outbid the rest of the league and sign him. If he wants to stay on the team after we make a run this year, and is willing to take a little discount to do so, I hope we sign him.

Bickell is solid, at least this year. I have less problem losing him though, if we can't keep both.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:05 AM
BronYrAur

Bickell is a solid player and if they can get him for $2m or so for a few years I think they will do it.

Stalberg is gone unless he gives the Hawks a huge discount. But he's not going to do that, and would you blame him? I can't. Probably the best value in the NHL for the past two seasons, this is his one chance to get a good contract and set himself for life.

Yes he seems to be hitting his peak but he will very soon be on the wrong side of that peak, particularly with respect to his speed. He isn't getting any faster and with the cap going down you just have to accept that you are going to lose a little bit of depth. It's not a horrible problem when you have Morin/Hayes/Pirri in the AHL and TT/McNeill/Danault after them.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:16 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Interesting that comparative stats say Bickell is the better value. Stalberg has plus speed which creates space but Bickell is leading in almost every other category vs Stalberg. Also better current value in current salary vs points comparison.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:28 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Stalberg goes to Detroit unfortunately

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
BobbyJet

It’s a tough call, but I think Hawks somehow need to keep both players. I’d hate to have to choose between the two. As someone said earlier in this thread, trade away Bolland and Frolik before giving up on these guys. And BTW, I think Stalberg will get better still. He had a late start and is just entering his prime. Bickell hopefully the same but is more of a question mark. Has he finally left his inconsistent days behind? No doubt he will come cheaper than Stalberg.
Now watch Bolland have a great playoff again, and we’ll be back to square one. I hate the salary cap!

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

If Hawks try to retain one it should be Bickell

Brings more to team and actually shows up in playoffs ,, Something Stalberg has yet to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
It’s a tough call, but I think Hawks somehow need to keep both players. I’d hate to have to choose between the two. As someone said earlier in this thread, trade away Bolland and Frolik before giving up on these guys. And BTW, I think Stalberg will get better still. He had a late start and is just entering his prime. Bickell hopefully the same but is more of a question mark. Has he finally left his inconsistent days behind? No doubt he will come cheaper than Stalberg.
Now watch Bolland have a great playoff again, and we’ll be back to square one. I hate the salary cap!
So what Morin and Hayes and in coming Years Danault/etc can just rot in Rockford forever?

Simple reality is neither STalberg/Bickell are core players and the days of putting 3M+ into your 3rd liners are gone for Hawks

Both are just keeping spots warm for prospects like Morin/Hayes/etc in coming years

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Buyout Olesz

then you look at who is replaceable on the Roster

1. Frolik
Trade him and get a pick this year. He will return a late 2nd or high 3rd.
Can get PK help for the 4th line for much less than his salary while addin that pick

2. Bolland
Unless he plays like a legit #2 in the POs and becomes PO Bolland, he is replaceable as #3 Center for less money.
He wasn't the answer to our #2 C spot and neither is Krüger so far. Trade Bolland for a good return and take that pick/prospect and be happy with it while getting the money to sign your own UFAs you want to keep
Give Krüger a chance, give Pirri his chance and even give that LeBlanc guy a chance. If not, we have more than enough pieces to add C depth

3. Bickell
guy has size and in this contract year, he uses it and uses it well. Not sure about his demands. Morin plays bigger than his size and uses his body while Jayes could replace him too. Has the size but not much more as of yet.

4. Stalberg
offers size and speed and has proven that he can produce without the Big4 next to him + his D got better and better. No guy in the system can replace him

Old
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
So what Morin and Hayes and in coming Years Danault/etc can just rot in Rockford forever?

Simple reality is neither STalberg/Bickell are core players and the days of putting 3M+ into your 3rd liners are gone for Hawks

Both are just keeping spots warm for prospects like Morin/Hayes/etc in coming years
It's far more worse to have a guy making 2+ million on the 4th line... yet you still want to keep that guy on the roster

Old
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
moose vasko

The team has to maintain something of a salary structure. Bickell fits into the structure--i.e 3rd line player who can probably be signed for 2-2.25 per and has already expressed a desire to stay. Stalberg has way more upside and will get top 6 dollars and the chance to be a top 6 player (which he would already be on many clubs). I'd love to keep Stalberg, but the reality of cap management is that the price of success is that you have to let go of guys you don't want to.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Stalberg is better. If it's feasible under the cap, you keep him.

Bickell's game is also much more replaceable.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:37 PM
digdug41982

While he is harder to replace, I think there are other guys around the league you could bring in like Stalberg. Lauri Korpikoski comes to mind. I've always liked him. He'll be a RFA after this season. I am not sure what they would want for him but he is a guy I would look into.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:00 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
There are late bloomers like Sharp, but forwards' prime is 24-27. So Stalberg is really exiting his prime.

His best attribute is speed and he is only going to get slower. It's not like his mediocre hands are getting better.....and the third line on this team has played against the weakest competition all year.

Yes Stalberg is a great player to have and he certainly may score more on a different team with more playing time & PP time, but that doesn't mean he is getting "better" and Hawks would show great restraint to let him go and not overpay. Better off getting surplus value from guys like Pirri/Morin next year than overpaying for FA's and then trying to shoe-horn under the cap by playing borderline AHL/NHLers.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote