HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

1977 Playoffs - Black Hawks at Islanders, Led Zeppelin at Chicago

Old
02-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Doctor No
HFB Partner

vCash: 50
1977 Playoffs - Black Hawks at Islanders, Led Zeppelin at Chicago

Pulling together the goaltender game logs for 1976-77, and I came across something that I'd never heard brought up, and it was mildly interesting so I thought I'd ask.

1977 playoffs, preliminary round, best of three. First game at the better seed, second game at the worse seed, third game at the better seed.

Except for the Black Hawks and the Islanders - where the Black Hawks' home game was pre-empted by a Led Zeppelin concert:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...away-from-home

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...homeless-hawks

The game was played as a Chicago "home" game (with Chicago in white, and with last line change), but in Nassau Coliseum.

Anyone remember if this was a bigger deal at the time? The reports in the Tribune are strangely muted.

Anyhow, certainly odd.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2015, 06:15 PM
MS

vCash: 500
Bizarre.

If I read that correctly, it says that the Hawks wanted to move the game from Thursday to Friday, but it was vetoed by the New York TV station and Bill Torrey? So the league puts the game in NY?

Absolutely bush league if that's the case.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2015, 06:20 PM
reckoning

I knew about this situation before, but this is the first I'd heard about Chicago getting "home team privileges" for Game 2. I may be mistaken, I think Game 3 was supposed to take place in Chicago; but the series was over after Game 2.

Tough break for the fans. The only similar situation I can think of is the Rangers having to play the entire 1950 Final on the road because MSG was booked for the circus.

That second link had players from both teams gushing about how well Esposito played. Those Chicago Tribune articles are a great find. I wish every major newspaper would make their archives that easy to access.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2015, 04:22 AM
Hawksfan2828

The Chicago WHA team had a similar situation - they had to play their WHA finals games in the local Woodfield Mall.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2015, 09:00 PM
barnztormre
Our goley is awsom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
The Chicago WHA team had a similar situation - they had to play their WHA finals games in the local Woodfield Mall.
A championship series in a mall???? That may be one of the craziest WHA stories ever

EDIT: Retrospective article:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...er-gordie-howe

barnztormre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2015, 05:47 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnztormre View Post
A championship series in a mall???? That may be one of the craziest WHA stories ever...
Yes, amazing isnt it? I was in Europe for much of the 70's and missed a lot of the WHA's Shenanigans, but ya, absolutely fun times. My general memories much like the melancholic remonstrances of not knowing what one once held & had until sadly, it's gone. Only through through the refracted prisms of time, years, decades, does one truly appreciate just how Hi-Camp that league actually was. Chaotic, bordering on outright anarchy, the way most like their hockey. Extra spicy. Very decent product all things considered, changed the game as we know it today. It was in those forges that the European game was melded with the North American. Excellent caliber of hockey. Highly entertaining.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Giacomin

It was not a big story on Long Island at the time. As a bigtime Rangers fan who hated the Isles and lived on long Island I was pissed off. The Islanders had a big time TV deal with sportschannel but that might have come later. It probably would not have mattered anyway since Led Zeppelin was better than the Blawkhawks!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 09:40 AM
saskganesh

Indeed. That was a terrible Blackhawks team.

Zeppelin sweeps them.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
Indeed. That was a terrible Blackhawks team.

Zeppelin sweeps them.
Imagine if they had drawn Sabbath in the first round.

Disengage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnztormre View Post
A championship series in a mall???? That may be one of the craziest WHA stories ever

EDIT: Retrospective article:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...er-gordie-howe
I'm still baffled as to how they made any money on that?

I've been to this mall...

At most you're talking 1500 people (and I'm being liberal) and that is packed standing room only...

Old
02-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Hot Water Bottle
Ask about my toaster

Is this it?

I don't know what to think about Led Zeppelin's live shows, I once sat through the entire "Song Remains the Same" movie and didn't "get it", at all.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
Is this it?

I don't know what to think about Led Zeppelin's live shows, I once sat through the entire "Song Remains the Same" movie and didn't "get it", at all.

Different generations, different tastes. I can easily imagine someone who came of age back then sitting through a Linkin Park concert today and "not getting it".

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Hot Water Bottle
Ask about my toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
Different generations, different tastes. I can easily imagine someone who came of age back then sitting through a Linkin Park concert today and "not getting it".
Ouch, that's harsh, man! I grew up in the 1980s hair metal period, definitely not "Linkin Park"

But my point really was that Led Zeppelin was notorious for putting out some really weird live videos, even their diehard fans have a hard time justifying The Song Remains the Same.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
Ouch, that's harsh, man! I grew up in the 1980s hair metal period, definitely not "Linkin Park"

But my point really was that Led Zeppelin was notorious for putting out some really weird live videos, even their diehard fans have a hard time justifying The Song Remains the Same.
I'm from more or less the period between Zeppelin and "hair metal". That being said, I always rather liked The Song Remains the Same.....though the music quality would have been better if the band hadn't been stoned out of their minds Then again, I "get" late '60s acid rock so Zeppelin's video forays don't really make me scratch my head lol. Generally speaking, 75% of the music I listen to comes from 1965-1985 so I'm a era jumper musically.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
Well my mom was at this show and she told me this 2 weeks ago at a Mardi Gras jam my uncle throws every year..

She said her friends brought her to a Zeppelin concert for her 17th birthday... This had to have been the show.

Old
02-28-2015, 08:34 PM
DJ Man

I don't6 see how they could lose, getting to wear their home uniforms and all that.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

1977 Playoffs: Why didn't Chicago get a home game?

I was looking at the Wikipedia articles for the Stanley Cup Playoffs from the late 70s, when there was a best-of-three 'preliminary round' for non-division winners. In every series, the first two games are split between the teams - with the exception of the Blackhawks-Islanders series: the Isles won the series 2-0, with both games played at NVMC.

Is there a reason that Chicago didn't host a playoff game? Is it an error?

EDIT: I'm also noticing that the order of hosting varied. For example, in 1976, the higher-seeded Sabres hosted St. Louis in Games 2 and 3, while the Leafs hosted games 1 and 3 vs. the Penguins. It seems to be a rule in 1975 and 1979 that the higher seed hosted games 1 & 3. I couldn't find info about the 1978 Preliminary Round.

Last edited by Buck Aki Berg: 03-30-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Because Led Zeppelin.

Merged. This is a fun topic - in a more general sense, I wonder how many times scheduling has impacted playoff series (there's the famous 1950 playoffs, of course).

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2015, 02:11 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

In 2000, Washington and Pittsburgh played a 1-2-2-1-1 series, because Pittsburgh had some concerts. It was terribly unfair to the Capitals because if you have home ice in a best of 7, you should get game 2 at home to try and right the ship and instead they went down 3-0 before getting a 2nd home game.

I can't remember what the concert was, but it was absurd that they would schedule that at the Civic Arena when the Penguins had been in the playoffs each of the previous 9 seasons.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Because Led Zeppelin.
Oh good, I'm a month late to the party

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote