HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

History of Coaches Corner

Old
04-22-2013, 06:45 AM
darkhorse686

vCash: 500
History of Coaches Corner

I am wondering about the history of this famous segment of HNIC. When exactly did it start? Were Cherry and MacLean always part of the show or were there other hosts on it at times?

darkhorse686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:00 AM
LeBlondeDemon10

Dave Hodge was one of the first to be Cherry's host. Then in 1987 when CBC refused to show the overtime between the Flyers and Habs, Hodge criticized the network on air and flipped his pen. He was fired. Enter Maclean and they've been together since. Cherry first started with CBC after his stint with the Rockies as a color commentator. I'm not sure how they created CC's, but I think Cherry wanted to be more critical and unorthodox. It just kind of happened I think.

I dread the day Cherry retires or otherwise. I've haven't always agreed with him and he's made me bloody angry at times, but he has been spot on with so many things. Once he dropped the European bashing he changed his focus to bettering the game. He really is an innovator. Most know that his stick is really dressed up, like his suits, but he is best when the real emotion comes through on something he cares about. He really is a compassionate guy. Great promoter of hockey and safety. How the NHL hasn't done anything about all the meaningless icing injuries is beyond me. Its like they just don't want to acknowledge Cherry is right, yet he has done so much to promote and popularize the game world wide.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

He definitely is one of those "character guys" full of a wealth of knowledge and a true love for the sport.

Even though I often disagree with him, I love his passion and those suits are killer.

I wouldn't be surprised if his handle here had 71 in it and that's a compliment of the highest order.

Gotta love the passion.

Ron Maclean is the perfect sidekick, and contrast, as well.

we better enjoy the segment while we can because it won't last forever.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Kloparren
Hth

I'd recommend watching Part 2 of the Don Cherry story movie. It covers the main parts. He also has two books, Don Cherry Hockey Stories and Stuff and More Don Cherry Hockey Stories and Stuff. Ron MacLean also wrote a book called Cornered which he talks in parts about Coaches Corner but the problem is that it contains too much biographical info relating to MacLean's non-hockey career and I just find it a bit annoying to read tbh.

Here's part 1 of 12 of The Wrath of Grapes (which was the 2nd part Don Cherry movie they made, the first one was The Don Cherry story but that one did not cover his Coaches Corner Career though it was more fun to watch):

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Big Phil

Yeah it started in 1980 with Hodge. You would think that the highest paying coach in the NHL would have a job offer, but Cherry was a straight up guy, and wanted to do things his way. I am guessing that this was circulating after his Rockie stint and no other GM wanted to bother at the time. So instead he's had a platform for 33 years. It is strange because CBC is a more liberal station while Cherry's view are ultra conservative. Yet they won't fire him for the mere reason that the ink wouldn't even be dry on the pink slip before Sportsnet or TSN picked him up. CBC reluctantly knows that Cherry is really the only thing that makes them unique anymore.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Disengage

Here's video of Coach's Corner from the first season:

And here's one from the 1988 Playoffs with Harry Neale filling in

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Ron Maclean is the perfect sidekick, and contrast, as well.
I remember a couple Coach's Corner's where Ron Maclean was absent for some reason and Scott Oake filled in. Man, they just weren't the same.

Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote