HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Oilers have a better history than Toronto?

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
I believe Poni will be more of an impact player than Nik.
You're joking right? Antropov's already had a 50 point pace season and scored at a 0.5 point per game pace last season. Antropov >>> Ponikarovsky.

Old
05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
You're joking right? Antropov's already had a 50 point pace season and scored at a 0.5 point per game pace last season. Antropov >>> Ponikarovsky.
that's my opinion. I'm glad I was able to give you a laugh though. Poni is more my type of player. Seems a little more durable. A little more physical. And he's got a great shot if he can learn to control the accuracy a little more. I don't believe it will happen over night, but if I could only keep one and was concern about the long term benefits, I would take Ponikarovsky over Antropov.

Old
05-02-2005, 10:39 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
that's my opinion. I'm glad I was able to give you a laugh though. Poni is more my type of player. Seems a little more durable. A little more physical. And he's got a great shot if he can learn to control the accuracy a little more. I don't believe it will happen over night, but if I could only keep one and was concern about the long term benefits, I would take Ponikarovsky over Antropov.
Sure Poni's a more physical player but he has far more obstacles to face than Antropov to become a top-six force, which Antropov arguably already is.

Old
05-03-2005, 05:49 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Sure Poni's a more physical player but he has far more obstacles to face than Antropov to become a top-six force, which Antropov arguably already is.
such as?

Old
05-03-2005, 07:29 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
I believe Poni will be more of an impact player than Nik.
I agree. He may not score at a higher pace than Nik, but I think he can have a greater impact.

Old
05-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
such as?
Skill?

Old
05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Skill?
oh, well you've sure convinced me with that agruement. Of course I see now how Nik is the better long term investment. Thanks Pep.

Poni has a much better shot. He's more physical. He's more agressive. Not much difference in their size. Not much difference in their skating - certainly not an edge to Nik. Poni needs to develop his attitude, and give a good effort every night. If he does that, he will be more of a player than Nik. And it's not that I don't like Nik. I wish he wasn't so prone to injuries and dump penalties.

Old
05-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
oh, well you've sure convinced me with that agruement. Of course I see now how Nik is the better long term investment. Thanks Pep.
Anytime, big guy. Anytime.

Quote:
Poni has a much better shot.
Not even close to true.

Quote:
He's more physical. He's more agressive. Not much difference in their size.
He was last year, but Nik has the capacity to be just as physical and aggressive....he just needs to learn to do it without taking penalties.

Nik is more talented, which is more important.

Quote:
Not much difference in their skating - certainly not an edge to Nik. Poni needs to develop his attitude, and give a good effort every night. If he does that, he will be more of a player than Nik. And it's not that I don't like Nik. I wish he wasn't so prone to injuries and dump penalties.
They're both third-line players at the moment.

The difference is, Nik has top-6 talent and Poni doesn't. Ponikarovsky will never be anything more than a solid 3rd line winger. His ceiling is Antropov's baseline.

The injury thing is a good point, but it's no reason to say a grinder like Ponikarovsky is a better player than Antropov, because he isn't.

Old
05-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Anytime, big guy. Anytime.

Not even close to true.

He was last year, but Nik has the capacity to be just as physical and aggressive....he just needs to learn to do it without taking penalties.

Nik is more talented, which is more important.

They're both third-line players at the moment.

The difference is, Nik has top-6 talent and Poni doesn't. Ponikarovsky will never be anything more than a solid 3rd line winger. His ceiling is Antropov's baseline.

The injury thing is a good point, but it's no reason to say a grinder like Ponikarovsky is a better player than Antropov, because he isn't.
all your opinions and my differ. However, if you look at what I said, I never said Poni was a better player. I said I believe he will be a better player in the long run over Nik. And I hold to that. I'm not going to agrue with your opinion, but its different from mine.

One thing I will say though is I don't understand how you think Poni does not have a better shot than Nik. He's got a good heavy, hard shot, he just needs to get better contol of it. What is special about Nik's shot?

Old
05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...3&page=1&pp=15

This thread has been the source of my laughs for about an hour.

How can anyone even justify their opinion that the Oilers > Leafs when it comes to historical significance?
Any one under 45 who doesn't live in the GTA or surrounding territory would probably think that.

Old
05-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Not even close to true.
I agree. Nik's shot is very underrated.

I think it's because he doesn't use it enough. He looks to pass first and shoot second. But he's got a pretty good slap shot and a very heavy and accurate wrist shot. I think learning to use his shot better will be a key part if he ever takes his offensive game to the next level.

And I also agree that Nik has much more skill then Poni. Saying that Poni is more physical than Nik is pretty questionable as well. I just hope they continue to play together for a long time. I think they have a lot of chemistry and they complement each other well.

Old
05-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

I think it's because he doesn't use it enough. He looks to pass first and shoot second. But he's got a pretty good slap shot and a very heavy and accurate wrist shot. I think learning to use his shot better will be a key part if he ever takes his offensive game to the next level.
Yep. This is what I was thinking on the shot, AroundIn67. Nik so far has tried to be more of a playmaker, but he has an excellent shot when he wants to use it. Kaberle has a terrific shot too, we just never get to see it.

Old
05-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

And I also agree that Nik has much more skill then Poni. Saying that Poni is more physical than Nik is pretty questionable as well. I just hope they continue to play together for a long time. I think they have a lot of chemistry and they complement each other well.
well I guess anyone who plays at the level has a pretty good shot. I believe Poni has a harder, and better shot than Nik. Nik does have a pretty good wrist shot, but I believe Poni has a better shot than Nik.

And they do play well together and hope we keep them both. The whole discussion started because someone tried to belittle a poster by saying "this from a guy who thinks Poni is better than Antro." Although I may not agree with that right now, I certainly feel I would rather have Poni over Nik 2 years from now.

Old
05-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
well I guess anyone who plays at the level has a pretty good shot. I believe Poni has a harder, and better shot than Nik. Nik does have a pretty good wrist shot, but I believe Poni has a better shot than Nik.
Poni might shoot harder, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn as of yet. Hands of stone.

Old
05-03-2005, 02:53 PM

Not sure if you guys are still discussing the thread title, Oilers vs. Leafs historical significance...

But I can't believe there's even a poll for this, let alone people who voted for the Oilers

As i've said in that poll...in terms of hockey historical significance...

I have it this way

#1-Habs
#1A-Leafs

To me, Habs and Leafs are pretty equal, with Montreal maybe having the slight edge historically (no offense)...

Which means anyone voting for the Oilers ahead of the Leafs is pretty much putting the Oilers on par with the Habs in terms of historical significance, which is ludicrous IMO...

Anyways, thought i'd let you know my opinion, can't believe that poll has lasted that long

Old
05-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Not sure if you guys are still discussing the thread title, Oilers vs. Leafs historical significance...

But I can't believe there's even a poll for this, let alone people who voted for the Oilers
You can't really be surprised at that. The hatred factor affects any poll involving the Leafs.

Quote:
As i've said in that poll...in terms of hockey historical significance...

I have it this way

#1-Habs
#1A-Leafs

To me, Habs and Leafs are pretty equal, with Montreal maybe having the slight edge historically (no offense)...
None taken. 24 Cups to 11 has to count for something.

You guys got a little taste of Ballard with Houle. Now imagine that going on for 20+ years?

Old
05-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You can't really be surprised at that. The hatred factor affects any poll involving the Leafs.

None taken. 24 Cups to 11 has to count for something.

You guys got a little taste of Ballard with Houle. Now imagine that going on for 20+ years? :cry:
Houle was bad, I don't think he was Ballard bad, but your right, and a small taste is all I think I can muster...thank god...

And about that hatred factor, I think it goes for both the Leafs and Habs...having any type of polls which include any of our players is useless...

But, what are you goin' to do?

Old
05-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
And about that hatred factor, I think it goes for both the Leafs and Habs...having any type of polls which include any of our players is useless...

But, what are you goin' to do?
If you're looking for evidence of bias at HF, it doesn't get any better than this poll from last year. It's one of my favourites.

Link

Old
05-04-2005, 06:23 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml_4ever
turned 13 in Feb
Ok. Then you are right. I am a few months younger than you. Turning 13 in July.

Closed Thread