HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WC: Oilers at the World Championships

Old
05-06-2013, 05:12 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Someone needs to tell the players the truth, Ruff thinks Hall was sucking so I assume Hall has an opportunity to learn something by being told the truth. He can't bench the whole team so maybe he just felt Hall would return the most dividends with a benching.

I know Hall's pride will flip the switch into beast mode with his next opportunity on the ice.

gqmixmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:23 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Bob Stauffer was mentioning that Lindy does not know the young guys in the west. Giroux has the worst give away and he played 21 minutes. Simmons on your power play ahead of Hall. You have to play with your players in a short tournament he is not his club coach.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 11:48 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Bob Stauffer was mentioning that Lindy does not know the young guys in the west. Giroux has the worst give away and he played 21 minutes. Simmons on your power play ahead of Hall. You have to play with your players in a short tournament he is not his club coach.
Simmonds is great on the PP, actually put up more PP points this year (G6 A10) than Hall (G4 A10).

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
If Hall turns over the puck the tendency is for him to do it in the offensive zone. 150 feet from his own net. Its part of the risk/reward in a player like him that can single handedly rush the puck and create a scoring chance out of nothing that results in hits and misses. By the nature of the attacking game he plays theres going to be some turnovers. Theres going to be some goals scored by him as well. But not from sitting on the bench.

Looks like this Team Canada could use some goals.

As far as your comment on Eberle being sounder defensively I can't agree. Eberle is one of the more suspect defensive players on the Oilers.

The preference isn't about defensive acumen. Its that Ruff wants more shots. Something Eberle is more prone to do.
Did Ruff actually say this or is this just speculation? Turnovers are turnovers. Yes they are likely more dangerous in your own end than at the other, but on a bigger ice surface that 150' can be gained faster and easier. Your point on turnovers doesn't wash to me.

So I guess you don't mind Hemsky and Gagner's giveaways all the time in the offensive zone.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:24 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I think this is Hall's first big tournament on international ice. IIRC the WJHC he played in was held in North America.

He's having some adjustment issues, and likely doesn't think much of the international competition they're playing. Hopefully the sitting will help him out.

A guy that fast is an absolute game-breaker on an ice surface like that. If he can put it together he should be fine.

I love the absolute shock on this board though. The audacity of Ruff to bench Hall . Hopefully he learns from it and applies some of the new-found lessons in the NHL.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Meanashell11

Lindy Ruff never accomplished a thing as a player and even less as a head coach. Why people think he has a clue is beyond me and benching Hall is just another example of ineptitude. I hope Canada goes win-less so the entire league can get a good look at how good a coach this out-of-work coach is.

http://http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4701

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

I wonder if Hall shed as many tears over this benching as some Oiler fans have. Probably not.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Petro Points

Getting benched IMO is never a bad thing in hindsight..
If the coach said he is happy with Hall's play so far what will that tell him... just keep doing what you are and things may turn around...

Ruff's benching will push Hall to take the next step which can only be a good thing.

Hall needs to seperate himself from rest of the group and play like a top tier player that we all hope he becomes.. This will only help him... Raher get benched now by Ruff than by Kruger in NHL.

Hope he does not forget this..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Did Ruff actually say this or is this just speculation? Turnovers are turnovers. Yes they are likely more dangerous in your own end than at the other, but on a bigger ice surface that 150' can be gained faster and easier. Your point on turnovers doesn't wash to me.

So I guess you don't mind Hemsky and Gagner's giveaways all the time in the offensive zone.
Ruff stated it.

As for turnovers its part of the business with players that are trying to produce the offense. To a greater or lesser degree.

tbh I would much rather have a player that is aggressive, that flies at D with the puck and tries to beat them than a Linus Omark who plays slow peripheral hockey all day any day. The jets in this game end up with some turnovers. Pavel Bure turned the puck over a lot. Given his propensity to score goals you deal with it, live with it, and have little problem with it. Its the risk reward in the quick strike players.

To blame Hall in this is asinine.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeDrag83 View Post
Don't we want a coach that won't put Taylor Hall out on the ice just because he's Taylor Hall? Accountability needs to be a team wide concept for the Oilers team to go anywhere. Given Hall's season and effort this year, it seems damn near impossible he deserves a benching, but it's a different situation. New coach, new team, limitted time together as a team. Ruff might not know what he has in Hall, but he has the right to make calls on a player's ice time base on what he see game to game, limitted as it may be.

This is one of the ways coaches mitigate deficiencies out of players. Stupid penalty? Benched. Too many giveaways? Benched. Effort in question? Benched.

I don't see a major problem here. Hall is the type of player who wants so badly to be THE player on the ice, he'll do whatever it takes to learn from his mistakes. And we'll see a more complete game from him as time goes on as a result of these lessons.

Wouldn't have scratched him for tomorrow because Hall is fantastic at redemption games. That's the only thing I'd put on Ruff at this moment.

All a moot point anyways since Krueger obviously gets another kick at the can given MacT's defense of the coaching.

And I'd rather see Hall get MVP at Sochi next year. Barring injury, he will have the type of season that'll earn him a spot on that team, I have no doubt.
But the bolded is the whole thing here. This is a short tournament, limited games, and with qualification required. This is not regular season where you can just hs to send a message. In a tourney when someone lands in a doghouse invariable its over before you get out of it.

Hall has been made poster boy for the teams lacklustre performance. Hall had nothing to do with the Swiss loss. A lot of players that got critical minutes and did nothing with them did.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
But the bolded is the whole thing here. This is a short tournament, limited games, and with qualification required. This is not regular season where you can just hs to send a message. In a tourney when someone lands in a doghouse invariable its over before you get out of it.

Hall has been made poster boy for the teams lacklustre performance. Hall had nothing to do with the Swiss loss. A lot of players that got critical minutes and did nothing with them did.
Valid points. Hard to blame Hall for any part of the loss with 8 minutes of playing time and the 2 best hits of the game. It's all on the coach and the players that were given the large amount of ice time.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 10:04 AM
LaGu

It was more fun last year... Anyway, here's the Oiler-in-WHC stats so far:

Eberle 2 GP 0 G 3 A 3 P (TOI/G 13:37)
Smid 3 GP 0 G 1 A 1 P (TOI/G 22:53)
Hall 2 GP 0 G 0 A 0 P (TOI/G 10:09)
Schultz 2 GP 0 G 0 A 0 P (TOI/G 13:03)
Petry 2 GP 0 G 0 A 0 P (TOI/G 12:04)

(1. Bryzgalov 1.00 SV%)
(2. Varlamov 0.963 SV%)
3. Dubnyk 1 GP 1 W 0.960 SV% 1.00 GAA

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

It's really hard to see Canada winning the tournament, or even medal-ling at this point.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This Swiss team is really tough. They beat the Czech Republic yesterday as well.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:51 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Ruff stated it.

As for turnovers its part of the business with players that are trying to produce the offense. To a greater or lesser degree.

tbh I would much rather have a player that is aggressive, that flies at D with the puck and tries to beat them than a Linus Omark who plays slow peripheral hockey all day any day. The jets in this game end up with some turnovers. Pavel Bure turned the puck over a lot. Given his propensity to score goals you deal with it, live with it, and have little problem with it. Its the risk reward in the quick strike players.

It wasn't just any turnover though. It was a "I'm going to try and make the highlight reel" move that caused it. I think he made another mistake later that shift and that was the last time he was on the ice.

You're right about risk/reward, and what Hall tried was 97% risk. I hope the young guys learn to take as much pride in making correct strategic decisions as they do in showing off their dexterity.

As for Hall potentially being benched or scratched for today's game too... I don't agree with that. Give him the chance to show if he learned his lesson.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:52 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

So is Hall really scratched for today? If so, I take back everything I said about the Oilers hiring Ruff.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

What a joke. Claude Giroux had a worse game than Hall and he'll continue averaging 20 minutes a game.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
The Big Unit

Here's a link to the game day thread. Apparently according to the OP Canada's lineup is confirmed and Hall is playing with Eberle and Duchene on the 3rd line.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=65496055

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:03 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Hall can't be scratched, the team only has 12 forwards right now

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
This Swiss team is really tough. They beat the Czech Republic yesterday as well.
Yeah. I think the Swiss of new is a much better team than the Swiss of old.

They seem to be becoming a team to be reckoned with.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Yeah. I think the Swiss of new is a much better team than the Swiss of old.

They seem to be becoming a team to be reckoned with.
They should finish first in their division now, but I would bet they don't medal.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Ruff stated it.

Good to know about Ruff's comments. Thanks.

I agree you usually want Hall going balls out as much as you can. From comments by other posters it seems that Hall did it at the wrong time and he is the guy used to send a message.

I expect hevwill be back and play great. Hall is Hall.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Good to know about Ruff's comments. Thanks.

I agree you usually want Hall going balls out as much as you can. From comments by other posters it seems that Hall did it at the wrong time and he is the guy used to send a message.

I expect hevwill be back and play great. Hall is Hall.
I disagree it was the wrong time. His 'slipups' were basically harmless and didn't result in any goals against.

I think whether it's in the Stanley Cup playoffs or the World Championships where you have limited time and space to win, you let the 'horse' go. When you're ahead, fine. When you're behind...there simply isn't time to play around or you'll lose, as happened. If you have a player on the bench such as Hall, you tell him to go get you a goal and "damn the torpedoes"...

Leave it up to Krueger to 'tame' him with better defensive play in the future.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:31 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
It's really hard to see Canada winning the tournament, or even medal-ling at this point.
No it's not. In the end the only team that (imo) has a chance against CAN in the QF is CZE and they are not that strong.

You're players just need a few more games to adapt (as basically every year). They will probably never live up to their "names", but that's not necessary this time. The only team I see challenging CAN for the gold is RUS.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
I disagree it was the wrong time. His 'slipups' were basically harmless and didn't result in any goals against.

I think whether it's in the Stanley Cup playoffs or the World Championships where you have limited time and space to win, you let the 'horse' go. When you're ahead, fine. When you're behind...there simply isn't time to play around or you'll lose, as happened. If you have a player on the bench such as Hall, you tell him to go get you a goal and "damn the torpedoes"...

Leave it up to Krueger to 'tame' him with better defensive play in the future.
You can disagree with it, and that is cool, but it does not change the fact that this is what Ruff was thinking, which was my point.