HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2014, 03:00 PM
mad4comp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Capitals need a top 6 player other than Brouwer and Ovechkin, that wants to hit.
Isn't that why we have Wilson?

Old
04-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, we'll see. Carolina has resisted taking defensemen in the first round in the past as a general rule so hard to say who will step up and take him. Toronto certainly has a need but arguably their two most promising young players are LDs, albeit puck-movers. Winnipeg might be the best fit at nine.

No question if Fleury is off the board then the pick ought to be a forward. I just think there's a greater chance of him falling given that he may not quite be top ten on team's lists unless they're not high on Nylander/Kapanen along with the pronounced organizational needs of NSH/ARI at 11/12. McKenzie's latest had him tenth so he's fringy enough to perhaps slide a bit. Maybe NSH/ARI trade back a bit as a result and I might move one of those 2015 picks acquired at the deadline if need be to get him.

I'd probably take Fiala over Tuch/Ho-Sang/Kempe and even that's more of a trade down type of pick. Slider/McCann/Fabbri/Barbashev at 13 or trade down (but that's just me).

Old
04-20-2014, 03:08 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'd probably take Fiala over Tuch/Ho-Sang/Kempe and even that's more of a trade down type of pick. Slider/McCann/Fabbri/Barbashev at 13 or trade down (but that's just me).
I would consider trading down. I like many players close to 20 so if I was the GM, there would be a good chance I'd trade down.

Old
04-20-2014, 07:37 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Hey Lang..Ho-Sang vs. Fabbri..why you favor Fabbri?

04-20-2014, 07:50 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Hey Lang..Ho-Sang vs. Fabbri..why you favor Fabbri?
Well, he's been traded and left off the U18 team, on top of that Ho-Sang ranked at the very bottom of the first round by everyone...

Old
04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Ho-Sang wasn't traded in the OHL...?

Fabbri gets the edge due to the possibility of playing center at the NHL level, more grit, a better nose for the net and a better motor. They should probably avoid both if they're all-out into becoming a heavy team but I'm not one to buy into that completely. Again, Barbashev becomes much more appealing if that's the goal.

Ho-Sang's more of a 20-25 guy for me.

Old
04-20-2014, 07:56 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Ho-Sang wasn't traded in the OHL...?

Fabbri gets the edge due to the possibility of playing center at the NHL level, more grit, a better nose for the net and a better motor. They should probably avoid both if they're all-out into becoming a heavy team but I'm not one to buy into that completely. Again, Barbashev becomes much more appealing if that's the goal.
Oops... Though the Marlboros were in the OHL and didn't even see it was a Midget AAA team.

Old
04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Fabbri with 3+1 as Guelph is rolled over Erie. Erie finally met a team they couldn't out-talent.

Last edited by Langway: 04-21-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old
04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Preaching the gospel.
gospel means "good news", nothing about being in the bottom half of the league in talent is "good news"....

Old
04-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Capitlols

Still want Ho-Sang, but I'm blinded by his skill set.

Old
04-23-2014, 09:52 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Still want Ho-Sang, but I'm blinded by his skill set.
Agreed the temptation for the skillsets of Ho-Sang and Fabbri where the caps are picking is hard to resist.

Old
04-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Prison rules hockey in the playoffs makes me consider Alex Tuch a wee bit, despite current righty winger depth. He's made better by playing on a line with Eichel & Milano but he's got some game. Not entirely sold on the hockey IQ altogether but an interesting player.

I'd wager the most likely sliders are Fleury, Perlini or Kapanen. Hard to believe anyone from that top nine group will slip to 13. If it's those three off the board after those nine I might trade down unless there's a clear preference among that third tier. The depth through the second round looks a lot better than it did mid-season.

Tier 1a: Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad
Tier 1b: Draisaitl, Dal Colle
Tier 2: Ehlers, Nylander, Virtanen, Ritchie, Fleury, Perlini, Kapanen
Tier 3: Fabbri, Fiala, Barbashev, McCann, Larkin, Pastrnak, Kempe, Honka, Ho-Sang, Milano, Tuch

Old
04-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Langway
Intangibles

April RLR column.

USA beats Sweden 4-1 in the U18 semis. Canada plays the Czech Republic at noon for the other spot. Kempe & Karlsson were non-factors. Karlsson somehow, after making the WJC squad as a depth/energy player, went the whole tournament without scoring a point.

Old
04-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The Czech Republic beats Canada in OT 4-3. Big game for Vrana. It sets up Canada/Sweden for Bronze and Czech Republic/USA for Gold tomorrow.

More and more I'm thinking the Caps should trade the thirteenth pick unless Virtanen or Fleury happen to slide to them. I doubt the former happens but the later perhaps could.

The likes of Perlini and McCann don't do much for me as much depends on them filling out and that leading to them becoming more tenacious players. That's a dangerous thing to count on. To me, particularly when you're playing against your peer group, you either want to be in the guts of the game or you don't. You find a way. Players like Fabbri, Fiala, Vrana, Barbashev and Larkin are catalysts to a greater extent but I'm not sure any of them are really what the Caps need at this stage. At the very least I'd shop that pick (and more) hard to see what it can net.

Old
04-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Joel Ward
We'll miss you Dave!

Quote:
The Czech Republic beats Canada in OT 4-3. Big game for Vrana. It sets up Canada/Sweden for Bronze and Czech Republic/USA for Gold tomorrow.

More and more I'm thinking the Caps should trade the thirteenth pick unless Virtanen or Fleury happen to slide to them. I doubt the former happens but the later perhaps could.

The likes of Perlini and McCann don't do much for me as much depends on them filling out and that leading to them becoming more tenacious players. That's a dangerous thing to count on. To me, particularly when you're playing against your peer group, you either want to be in the guts of the game or you don't. You find a way. Players like Fabbri, Fiala, Vrana, Barbashev and Larkin are catalysts to a greater extent but I'm not sure any of them are really what the Caps need at this stage. At the very least I'd shop that pick (and more) hard to see what it can net.
I would tend to agree with you. Perlini especially, has never really done anything for me. Fleury or Virtanen would fill organizational needs, but it doesn't seem very likely that they fall to 13.

Would you rather them pick by organizational need or move the pick than pick BPA?

Old
04-27-2014, 07:22 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

I'm pretty sure they are gonna pick Kempe.

Speedy power forward. Oh yeah and Swedish.

Old
04-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Ward View Post
Would you rather them pick by organizational need or move the pick than pick BPA?
It depends on the circumstances. I wouldn't like them to reach in a big way to fill an organizational need--nor would I expect them to--or to sell the pick short value-wise in a trade. Althought I do wonder if there will be a philosophical change towards mortgaging the future in some respects to improve their short-term chances. (The Forsberg deal doesn't happen without ownership's approval IMO so the seeds are already there...) That's a tough thing to do for cap reasons without moving money out in the process, though, even with the cap going up a bit.

They should leverage the pick for the best asset they can get, be it BPA or a trade out or up or down. I certainly wouldn't advise against picking Kevin Fiala if Fleury or Virtanen are off the board and they believe he's BPA there rather than picking a center just to pick a center. They no longer have to be a slave to handedness so the fact that he's a lefty winger isn't the factor it once was. Fiala plays in Sweden so...close enough. He very much has a Swedish sort of attention to detail and hockey sense and is a significantly savvier player compared to Kempe. His hockey sense is easily top ten in this draft.

Old
05-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Two goals Fabbri tonight in Game 2 of the OHL Final. Series 1-1 now with both decided in OT.

‏@SeanLafortune: Ive said it before, but Robby Fabbri's draft stock rise is extremely similar to that of a 2010 Draft eligible Jeff Skinner

@SeanLafortune: Different player, different skill set, but similar rise. Im not sure he is a 7th overall pick, but hes top 15 IMO.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ohl_final.html
Quote:
“He’s got star written all over him,” says Mark Seidel, chief scout with North American Central Scouting, a private scouting company. “The way his season has come on, the kind of playoffs he’s had, he reminds me of (Carolina Hurricanes star) Jeff Skinner.

“Skinner had a great year (in his draft year) in Kitchener, but it was in the playoffs where he really came on. In the scouting business, you’re always looking at guys who are still getting better, who are continually swinging upwards.

“Well, this Fabbri kid is continuing to rise.”

Last edited by Langway: 05-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old
05-08-2014, 06:23 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

What about Kevin Fiala? I think he's a common sense pick at 13... Him or McCann.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Common sense? Fiala & McCann are upside picks in many respects, although from different angles. I like Fiala's motor to a greater extent. Although he's not really a 200 ft. player, he's very consistent in trying to create when he has the puck. The fact that he's playing for Switzerland at the WC is high praise. He'll be on their int'l teams for a long time. McCann has the instincts to be a complete center but not the intensity, high level consistency or physicality. He doesn't impact the game yet as much as you'd really hope outside of decent positional instincts and his shot.

With Guelph now up 3-1 on North Bay, Fabbri will most likely have a chance to showcase himself further at the Memorial Cup. He very well may have worked his way into the top 12. Kapanen could be someone that's available at 13 as he didn't have a very strong U18.

IMO if they want to go safe safe safe then Larkin & Barbashev would be strong options. Character players with decent size and the sort of versatility and honest games to play in many different roles/positions and still offer solid upside.

Old
05-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Fabbri with three assists to help spearhead a Guelph comeback to win the OHL title and a Memorial Cup berth. Fabrri finished second in OHL playoff goal scoring, tied for third in points and was named OHL Playoff MVP.

Old
05-10-2014, 12:23 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad4comp View Post
Isn't that why we have Wilson?
were you really expecting that from a 19 year old?

Old
05-13-2014, 04:08 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I'm surprised I'm not seeing Ivan Nikolishin in any rankings anymore. I thought he'd be a solid late-round pick.

Old
05-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Cush
-inator

Hopefully the new guy won't be enamored with PMDs

Old
05-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Hopefully the new guy won't be enamored with PMDs
Why? Guys like Rod Langway or Derian Hatcher or Adam Foote who barely play with the puck aren't the prototype anymore. Top flight defensemen in the league have the mobility and ability to play the puck in the modern NHL. Look at the successful teams in recent years and see the types of players they have there. Keith, Seabrook, Doughty, Voynov, Oduya, Seidenberg, Chara, Letang, Maatta, Hamilton, Bartkowski, Fowler, Lindholm, Niskanen, Krug, etc. These are guys who are capable of moving the puck up ice. The Mitchells and Orpiks and Boychucks are getting more and more rare, especially in top four icetime.

Don't confuse being a PMD with being poor in your own zone.

Closed Thread