HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2014 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Can't say I've followed this draft that closely, but I was always a Ho-Sang fan. Looks as though he's more of a late 1st guy now.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:03 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

5 to 15-ranked centers to keep an eye on: Dal Colle, Nylander (yes), McCann, maybe Bleackley. Big rugged winger Ritchie could be tough to pass on though.

Old
01-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Langway
Intangibles

With Dallas' impending win the Caps own the ninth-worst record in the league. They could be bottom five before you know it. Terrible.

I think Draisaitl could slip a bit as his skating could be an issue for some clubs. Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl & McCann are the class of the center group for me. Not sure Dal Colle & Nylander have the instincts/profile for it. Barbashev might be the next best thing instinctually but more towards 15 than 5. So move up for one of the four, if needed, or back for Barbashev may be the way to go as far as glue type centers go.

Another high volume shooter like Perlini or maybe even a two-way speedy winger like Ehlers wouldn't be completely redundant, though. When Backstrom is your #2 shooter up front--and even he's behind two defensemen--you're not constructed well. Kuznetsov & Burakovsky could pan out and change that dynamic but another finisher wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old
01-21-2014, 10:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

While the organization certainly needs more finishers, there's gotta be a change in organizational philosophy towards the draft.

In the last five drafts, they've drafted 5 centers and 11 wingers (you can fiddle the numbers a bit depending how you count guys like Stephenson, Sanford, etc.).

That's not a way to build your forward core, IMO. Go heavy down the middle and build out from there.

Old
01-22-2014, 06:01 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Top-5 per Ryan Kennedy (THN): Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Nylander, Draisaitl. It's 3.5 centers out of 5. If Caps fall that low, they've gotta ensure they get one. Draisaitl would be my strong preference.

Now we need to look around and find a way to get another first-rounder either at the deadline or on the Draft day.

Imagine if Caps traded for Erat dealing 2014 1st instead of Forsberg

Old
01-22-2014, 06:28 AM
Brian23

Man, if we could unload Green for a First or LD, I'd kill for Ekblad. Besides that I'm split on REinhart or Draisaitl. Haven't seen enough of them to pick. Wish there was a Center with Ekblad's body to draft. :/

Old
01-22-2014, 07:20 AM
trick9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
With Dallas' impending win the Caps own the ninth-worst record in the league. They could be bottom five before you know it. Terrible.

I think Draisaitl could slip a bit as his skating could be an issue for some clubs. Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl & McCann are the class of the center group for me. Not sure Dal Colle & Nylander have the instincts/profile for it. Barbashev might be the next best thing instinctually but more towards 15 than 5. So move up for one of the four, if needed, or back for Barbashev may be the way to go as far as glue type centers go.

Another high volume shooter like Perlini or maybe even a two-way speedy winger like Ehlers wouldn't be completely redundant, though. When Backstrom is your #2 shooter up front--and even he's behind two defensemen--you're not constructed well. Kuznetsov & Burakovsky could pan out and change that dynamic but another finisher wouldn't be a bad thing.
No need to worry about that.

March:
Boston 3 times
LA 2 times
Pittspurgh 2 times
San Jose
Anaheim
Phoenix
Philadelphia 2 times
Vancouver
Toronto
Nashville

7 of those 15 away. Ugh.

Would be happy with Reinhart or Ritchie.

Old
01-22-2014, 07:31 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
If you thought George was desperate at the deadline last year in the name of job security, you should be well scared of losing that 1st this time around in year 15.

I don't mind his talent scouts so much but its time for a new architect long before the draft. Watching them scramble to take Forsberg and then trading him... it just looked like amateur hour out there, and drafted a top rated player they had not scouted since "we knew he wouldn't be there". They drafted a player they did not want into a team strength.

Old
01-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If you thought George was desperate at the deadline last year in the name of job security, you should be well scared of losing that 1st this time around in year 15.
They're running out of time to do something like that and have it be impactful. They're going to need a 100+ point pace the rest of the way to make the playoffs. Hard to see that happening with a single impactful acquisition. Plus there's the whole separate cap space issue to complicate matters. Even with teams able to eat salary it's going to cost a premium for them to do so right now if they could avoid it closer to the deadline in what should be another seller's market. The pressure is on the Caps to do something but ownership should be resolved enough given what's happening to be good stewards.

Falling into the bottom five does seem very real in March should this funk persist. It's why this stretch is so crucial in setting the table and why before you know it they may put themselves in a situation where they can't realistically claw their way back into it. Best-case would involve the rest of the fringe East teams sliding but there aren't many signs of that currently.

Again, I don't really think Nylander is a center so I'd tend to pass early on. I like him better towards ten or thereafter than top five but that's in part influenced by what's in the system and how they operate.

Old
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Brian23

Question, say we could unload of our terrible cap pieces and acquire some mid tier Prospects but we had to lose our first; would people be willing to do it?

Say you could unload some package of Erat, Liach, Nuevy, and the First Round pick for some kind of mid level ELC prospects. Would that be worth more than the potential of a Top 5 pick?

Old
01-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Not for a top five pick but it depends on the prospects generally. I don't think that's something a new GM would do and certainly it would not look well upon McPhee to need to do so.

Use the second compliance buyout on Erat if need be. Either that or do a Gleason/Liles type deal of swapping poor fits. Either way they ought to be able to make moves if they really want to without having to give up a high pick like that.

Old
01-22-2014, 06:11 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
Question, say we could unload of our terrible cap pieces and acquire some mid tier Prospects but we had to lose our first; would people be willing to do it?

Say you could unload some package of Erat, Liach, Nuevy, and the First Round pick for some kind of mid level ELC prospects. Would that be worth more than the potential of a Top 5 pick?
No. We have a buyout left and can likely dump at least one of those crap contracts near the TDL.

*Well, a cogent GM could.

Old
01-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings.

Surprised to see WHLers Fleury & Virtanen that high. I have Demko & Karlsson top 30 instead of Bleackley & DeAngelo but very generally have the same players top 30. Barring big second halfs or big drop-offs there is a bit of a cut-off.

Last edited by Langway: 01-23-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old
01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
He has excellent poise with puck and is able to hold it to allow the play to develop. He handles puck in traffic very well and while he may not look it, he plays fast. That said, he never looks like he is in a hurry.
Sounds like Semin.

Kempe is interesting and a likely choice. Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, and Kempe all in the future will be a lot of speed.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Ivan is an outstanding leader. He leads by his actions and there is nothing he won't do to help his team win. Versatile, skilled and competitive, he can play in many spots in your line-up.
Sounds like an ideal fit.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:12 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Also all the defenseman in the top 30 look to be all right handed.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Fleury is a LD.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

What's the point of this thread? Clear as day we are picking William N.

Old
01-23-2014, 08:24 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Fleury is a LD.
That's good for the Capitals then to have at least one LD they could pick.

McKenzie says Draisaitl is trending downward.

This draft is pretty meh looking though. Nothing really exciting.

Is Kempe a C? Elite Prospects shows him as a C. McKeens does too. I would lean towards him being a C and it being a typo by TSN.

Last edited by SimplySensational: 01-23-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old
01-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Kempe is more of a LW.

Down to only six teams with fewer points, albeit with some games in hand. The good thing about this draft is if they suck they could very well wind up with a second first round-quality high upside prospect early in the second due to the Russian Factor. Scherbak or Goldobin at around 35-40 would be a pretty solid get.

Overall it's not a tremendous draft but even if it was a great draft at the top-end it's probably outside of their range anyway. Draisaitl, McCann, Fleury, Ehlers, Barbashev and a few of the later first round wildcards are what makes it interesting IMO.

Old
01-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Burakovsky95

#StayInThisJamForSam
#PlayBadForEkblad
#SuckForAnEonForLeon
#FailLikeTheSenateForBennett
#SellYourSoulForDalColle
#MeanderForNylander
#WishOnAGenieForPerlini
#PlayLikeIckForNick
#DontUnleashTheFuryForFleury
#TakeABreakForJake
#PlayReallyScaryForKasperi

Old
01-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Not for a top five pick but it depends on the prospects generally. I don't think that's something a new GM would do and certainly it would not look well upon McPhee to need to do so.

Use the second compliance buyout on Erat if need be. Either that or do a Gleason/Liles type deal of swapping poor fits. Either way they ought to be able to make moves if they really want to without having to give up a high pick like that.
That seems crazy to me. I would be 100% ok with one more year of Erat if it got the team out from under three more years of Brooks Laich.

Old
01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I picked Jared McCann in Cup's mock draft. It was either him or Nick Ritchie at 12 (really 11 w/ NJ losing their pick). While a line with Ritchie & Wilson was tempting, McCann's hockey IQ, position (center), versatility and upside gave him a slight edge.

Old
01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Efactor

Three years from now, Bennett will have proven to be the class of this draft.

Old
01-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Burakovsky95

Quote:
I picked Jared McCann in Cup's mock draft. It was either him or Nick Ritchie at 12 (really 11 w/ NJ losing their pick). While a line with Ritchie & Wilson was tempting, McCann's hockey IQ, position (center), versatility and upside gave him a slight edge.
Eh I would have went with Ritchie or Kapanen

Closed Thread