Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Tyler Seguin

Old
04-23-2013, 08:42 AM
TSC*
KPD IS ADB

vCash: 500
Newsflash: Athletes are not the role models we all want and hope them to be. Some of them, despite being amazingly good at playing a game, are tremendous *******s.

For every Patrice Bergeron, there are an equal number of Duncan Keiths, or Chris Cullivers.

It's why we often root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

TSC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:43 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
I think these guys should just stay away from Twitter, Facebook and all the rest of these sites
Just use it knowing that it is public domain. He wouldn't have said what he wrote to a reporter. Just treat social media the same way.

There are some guys out there that use twitter brilliantly to further their marketability. On the extreme end is everyone's most despised Habs Dman. Photo ops, lighthearted tweets and links to charitable stuff dominate the posts. He's well on his way to a media career after retiring. Luongo is another one. These guys get it.

Not everyone has the gift of gab, but a little education on how to use social media would go a long way.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:44 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
No. Not at all.

"Thinking the game like you know it?" is not complimentary at all.

I don't think the phrase "like you know it/me" has ever been used in a complimentary manner.
Look I have no reason to defend Duncan Keith over a friendly poster like Kate or anyone else on here. And I'm not about to tell anyone not to be offended at whatever they want (that'd be a full-time job these days). I'm just telling you I can easily see how he meant that as complimentary.

If I said "you play hockey like you've played somewhere before", it could either be misconstrued as insulting or complimentary. In this context it seems to me that he's making the point that even someone who can't skate and holds a microphone for a living can think the game better than that ref. I'm just not sure you can hang a guy for that.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

Even though it wasn't malicious, and at worst was ignorant/stupid, have we really become that desensitized to how other people may feel/think/interpret things that the word "homo" doesn't automatically raise a red flag?
this. well stated.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I think the Duncan Keith comments last night will take away from Seguin's. Most suredly the league will be looking at Keith's.

Seguin's comment will only be a big deal here

In case you missed Keith's, here's his response to a female reporter
This illustrates exactly what an a ss he is

Old
04-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Wait. She said she couldn't skate, and you're offended that he suggests she "probably" can't play either? She CAN'T! She can't skate so how could she play? Further, he complements her for at least thinking the game even if she can't play it.

I'm at a complete loss as to how that's remotely offensive. If anything I found it complimentary. If any reporter of either gender said they couldn't skate he'd have said the same thing to them, no?
if you see that as complementary, I weep for our ****ing future.

I really really do

Old
04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
CrownofThornton

If you grew up a rich white suburban kid.... you can play!

CrownofThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
bruinsfan001

Homo is the genus of great apes that includes modern humans and species closely related to them.

Obviously this ****** doesn't know how to use a dictionary.

bruinsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:53 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Look I have no reason to defend Duncan Keith over a friendly poster like Kate or anyone else on here. And I'm not about to tell anyone not to be offended at whatever they want (that'd be a full-time job these days). I'm just telling you I can easily see how he meant that as complimentary.

If I said "you play hockey like you've played somewhere before", it could either be misconstrued as insulting or complimentary. In this context it seems to me that he's making the point that even someone who can't skate and holds a microphone for a living can think the game better than that ref. I'm just not sure you can hang a guy for that.
I'll give you that much

except

He ended it with a ? mark and a seeya...that's not a compliment its a "you think you can know the game without having played it? Seeya, get outta my face"

I should add that his tone made the "comment" sound like a "question"

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
OshawaBruin

Keith wasn't complimentary but he was also 100% correct. If she did know the game she would have known that the penalty was negated since Sedin scored. But hey let's not let silly little things like facts get in the way of being offended.

OshawaBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:01 AM
patty59

People want an in-depth look into the guys' lives and get bent out of shape when they see things they don't like.

Probably not the smartest thing he's ever said, but this backlash is ridiculous.

Also, not sure who Pat Burke thinks he is but I don't think he should just go around and demand a 'sit down' with whoever he wants over a 6 letter twitter comment.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:03 AM
CanadianBruinsFan

Thought when I read it he would catch some heat. Obviously doesn't mean anything malicious by it but it's all part of learning to keep things in that you might say conversationally. If you're gonna be a young star, gotta learn how to be a little more politically correct.

CanadianBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:06 AM
qc

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSC View Post
Newsflash: Athletes are not the role models we all want and hope them to be. Some of them, despite being amazingly good at playing a game, are tremendous *******s.

For every Patrice Bergeron, there are an equal number of Duncan Keiths, or Chris Cullivers.

It's why we often root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.
Whether we like it or not, these athletes are role models. They are spokesmen for various companies, and they make millions of dollars a year to play a game. Many athletes use twitter as a means of connecting with fans, and his twitter page is public. If he doesn't understand this, then he should probably not use the site. They weren't over the top comments, but nonetheless they should be addressed.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:08 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

I think it's funny that there are still Bruins fans that are angry that Jacobs made a joke to Neely (someone that he interacts with often & directly) about not being to bring the Cup to Boston as a player but succeeding at doing so in the FO ... yet are so defensive when Edwards makes a stupid analogy about a man that assassinated a senator & so defensive when Seguin makes a comment that some people find offensive.

I guess it really does matter who the speaker is & who the target is for some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrell71 View Post
Ridiculous. Can't call people names, now striking offensive terms from dictionary and we have to wear helmets when riding bicycles. We are a nation of wussies.
Yeah, life sucks now that we can't call people names & use any/all offensive terms that we want.

With that said: I'm personally not bothered or offended by Seguin's comment, because I don't think he meant to seem homophobic. I am, however, bothered that he wasn't bright enough to realize that it might be construed as offensive to some and thus it wouldn't be smart to post it. It's one thing to slip up verbally - your mouth moving faster than your brain - but he had the chance to realize what he was typing might not be totally accepted and still posted it. Just seems kind of stupid to me.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
redsox7327

I remember when Kevin Garnett said "no homo" on television and when Chris Paul said "pause" on television. And also, coincidentally, Stephen A. Smith said "pause" when talking about Chris Paul on first take. It's interesting to see how reaction to this type of language evolves over time.

redsox7327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Very impressed at those who tell people what they should and should not get offended by...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I'll give you that much

except

He ended it with a ? mark and a seeya...that's not a compliment its a "you think you can know the game without having played it? Seeya, get outta my face"

I should add that his tone made the "comment" sound like a "question"
Without a doubt the video may make it clear how he said what he said. I'm sure you are right Dom.

I admittedly only read your post and didn't find anything wrong with it, but context is what matters here. If you and Kate both say it was over the line I'm sure it was.

Last edited by bp13: 04-23-2013 at 09:15 AM.
bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:10 AM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybpr25 View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. A bunch of overreacting homers in this thread. What he said is completely "normal" language for someone of his age. Let me guess, all of you that are flipping out are 30+, right? Is Tyler a normal 21 year old? No. Should he be more careful of what he says because he's in the spotlight? Yep. Give him a break though, what he said is hardly anything to talk about and you jokers need to relax.
LOL, I am 55+, had to read his tweet about six times to see the issue (actually had to have someone show me). Don't think it has anything to do with age, but rather how sensitive some people are. To bad it gets blown up to a major issue in places like this because really, nothing to see here, lets all move on.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:11 AM
chippa13*

awful....hope Tyler learns that being homophobic is no way to live life. He should be suspended by the Bruins but probably wont be

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Yeti of the Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Very impressed at those who tell people what they should and should not get offended by...
Nothing. You should be offended by nothing. If you are, you deal with it personally. Being offended is your own problem.

Yeti of the Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:

Without the "K... c ya" I'd be inclined to agree with you bp. But adding that to the end of the exchange is dismissive, and the equivalent of basically telling someone to "**** off".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
awful....hope Tyler learns that being homophobic is no way to live life. He should be suspended by the Bruins but probably wont be
He's homophobic now? You should be training for the Olympics with leaps like that.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I don't what concerns me more...

The fact that a suburban white kid is using "hip hop" terms OR the fact he listens too that trash OR the fact he is that ignorant.
Oh lawd... The hypocrisy and ignorance of this comment is blowing my mind.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Without the "K... c ya" I'd be inclined to agree with you bp. But adding that to the end of the exchange is dismissive, and the equivalent of basically telling someone to "**** off".
it is dismissive, at best and incredibly condescending.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:15 AM
TMLer
#HireJFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
Wtf did I just read? Please tell me my sarcasm detector is just off.

This is the most ridiculous thing to get upset over . No homo? Seriously? That gets some peoples jimmies rustled?! Unreal. Just unbelievable.

TMLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Bad Hat Harry

Guessing people haven't seen that youtube video of Brian Bellows getting trashed talked by the Pens in the early 90s.

People would be up in arms if they knew how hockey players talked to each other on the ice.

Bad Hat Harry is offline   Reply With Quote