Notices

Tyler Seguin

Old
04-23-2013, 12:31 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
This is offensive? I don't see anything wrong with it. Hell it barely makes sense to me. All I take out of the OP is that this Burke is a snitch and sounds like he is looking for attention with the tone he uses.
As Felger would say, there definitely is a tonality issue here. But kidding aside, the Burkes are the face of the anti-homophobia campaign and they are connected with the NHL. Seguin is not a healthy scratch AHLer, he's a young star and he's damn good looking , so he's pretty well known. Burke probably called out Seguin because people came to him, I don't think it's fair to say that he is a "snitch." Again, he didn't have to make a spectacle of it, but what do you expect YCP to do? Seems like they can't win. If YPC ignores the comments, it doesn't look good. If they call him out, they will be accused of over-reatcing. They picked the right poison, imo.

And the term "snitch" seems quite fashionable amongst the whippersnappers of today. "Stop snitchin'" can be interpreted in many different ways, just like 19's tweet.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Marley

vCash: 500
My .02, Seguin is typical of someone his age. He said something he thought was not offensive only to find out later that it was. He'll learn that some language that he or his peers think is ok, really is not and hopefully he'll grow as a person.

Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeti of the Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
As a Jewish person myself, I wouldn't be bothered by a 10 year old doing it, because a 10 year old likely doesn't realize how stupid their attempt at humor is.

If I saw an adult doing it, though, I'd consider them a ***** that had no idea what's "funny" or not.

And your vacuum example from earlier was pointless. Is someone using the vacuum as a joke at your expense because you were abused? If so, yes, they're wrong. If they're innocuously referencing something that they use to clean floors, then they're not wrong & it's just hitting a painful point to you as a specific individual. It would've been a closer example if you'd said that you'd suffered abuse and that people were using molestation as a joke. To say that someone that suffered that as a kid should just ignore the pain that it causes because you're just making a joke is asinine.
An adult doing the same thing would be equally unfunny. However, I might add that at 10 that joke did play fairly well. Regardless. That's just it. You can consider them whatever you feel like considering them. Though that doesn't mean you can determine for all that your personal interpretation is correct.

Yeti of the Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFan417 View Post
Throw more wood into the fire. I hope no one finds offense to your posts.

It's okay to have a different opinion than other people but don't make stupid generalizations that younger people aren't as 'smart' or 'wise' as you.
Why are you getting upset at this when you had this to say earlier??

So people don't get the wrong idea? Maybe it's a joke? Only sensitive people get mad at this..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
I had just been told that anti-Semitism humor was acceptable, and that jokes were just "vessels of an idea" ... so I wanted to see if the poster was really willing to say that anything/everything was acceptable, regardless of how extreme it might be.

And if the extreme level was indeed too extreme, where is the line drawn?
I am a jew or at least have jewish blood and relatives. It's probably just me but nothing really offends me at all. Most likely from years of being desensitized.

However these days people get easily offended over minor things. You can teach and teach people to now end about what is deemed right and wrong but at the end of the day they're going to say and do what they want.

6 billion people on this planet can't force them all to think a certain way.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
BBFan417

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Why are you getting upset at this when you had this to say earlier??

So people don't get the wrong idea? Maybe it's a joke? Only sensitive people get mad at this..

I'm not mad at your comment. I'm annoyed that what you said could cause more people to complain over something that, also, didn't need to be said.

BBFan417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:47 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti of the Flow View Post
An adult doing the same thing would be equally unfunny. However, I might add that at 10 that joke did play fairly well. Regardless. That's just it. You can consider them whatever you feel like considering them. Though that doesn't mean you can determine for all that your personal interpretation is correct.
Says the guy that said people shouldn't get offended by vessels of ideas. You seem pretty confident that your personal interpretation of when someone should be offended is correct.

Personally (and using your child abuse reference as a point), I can't imagine going to someone that was abused & making jokes about it, but then pulling the "hey, don't get offended, I was just joking" card. Same with a Marathon bombing joke, or a 9/11 joke, or a Holocaust joke, or to bring it back to this thread's origin, a potentially offensive reference to something being "no homo".

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:48 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
The lack of personal responsibility is astounding. Unfortunately, it's increasingly more common that everything is always someone else's fault or responsibility, never your own.
this is not a lack of personal responsibility at all. we are arguing over whether its offensive or not.

i happen to agree with you that personal responsibility is severely lacking in todays society but i also believe it goes hand in hand with the "always the victim" mentality that drives people to constantly act like everything is meant to be offensive towards their minority or just a minority they sympathize with. it also goes hand in hand with the attention ****** that are everywhere (should i apologize for possibly saying something offensive to ******?)

these are a few of the many things about our society that i dont much care for. i just dont let it consume my life. i dont mind having a discussion about it but by tomorrow ill have likely put this behind me and i doubt ill hold any ill will towards anyone who i may argue with today when in a discussion about something hopefully on ice related tomorrow.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:50 PM
hoss75

Not trying to jump into the debate between the two extreme groups here.. but what the heck was Tyler talking about?... it all just seemed like gibberish?

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
What kind of logic is this? So what you're saying is that people can say whatever they want and as long as they don't mean it in an "insulting" way, it's all good?
Probably shouldn't, but they do and sadly doing just that is accepted on a very very large scale. Whether or not it is accepted for you to say a word often depends on your own ethnicity, sexual orientation, or attitudes. That's wrong in my opinion, if a word is going to be insulting it should be regardless of who is saying it.

African American people calling each other the "n-word" for instance, homosexuals calling each other the "f-word" (three letter, not four letter version), women calling each other the "b-word".

It was a mistake on Seguins part, but the end result was not overly egregious because it was not meant as an insult in any way shape or form such as the examples above are rarely meant as insults (and therefore widely accepted). That doesn't mean some people won't find it's use insulting, hence the reason it was inappropriate and why he apologized very quickly. It's not "all good" but is hardly a reason to rake someone over the coals.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
Not trying to jump into the debate between the two extreme groups here.. but what the heck was Tyler talking about?... it all just seemed like gibberish?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUxMuk-T0gk

Old
04-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Heh.

So met a 27-year old female friend for lunch today. I asked her about this topic, "if you're going out with your girlfriends, and you really like the new outfit a friend got and tell her "girl, you look hot tonight!" do you use the term "no homo" after it?"

She looked at me like I was crazy. "Um, no, she knows I'm not a lesbian. Why would I have to say it?"

Just something to ponder.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Wilhelm Scream

I'm pretty far left and fully support Patrick Burke's cause, but I think he should be more worried about what people are actully saying and not necessarilly how they say it... if that makes sense? The fine-toothed comb approach might be more harmful in the longrun. I don't think Seguin meant any harm and personally found nothing offensive in his post.

Wilhelm Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
Heh.

So met a 27-year old female friend for lunch today. I asked her about this topic, "if you're going out with your girlfriends, and you really like the new outfit a friend got and tell her "girl, you look hot tonight!" do you use the term "no homo" after it?"

She looked at me like I was crazy. "Um, no, she knows I'm not a lesbian. Why would I have to say it?"

Maybe you should have asked a male or is younger and is in tune with rap/hip hop culture. You would have had a much stronger case.

I am 27 but I grew up around that culture so I understand what the phrase means.

It has been said over and over again he is a 21 year old kid who since he is in the limelight what he said is being scrutinized.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Oh and u used it in the wrong context with your female friend if people just watched the video I posted they would maybe get what the phrase is.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
Heh.

Gender roles, they're significant. We should try and keep this debate more focused on homosexuality and how offensive "no homo" is, gender roles is just such a huge topic. Patrick Burke even said he wishes somebody would start a You Can Play for misogyny (I forget his exact words, it was during his long tweet fest since last night), but he's focused on homosexuality.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post
Oh and u used it in the wrong context with your female friend if people just watched the video I posted they would maybe get what the phrase is.
dude i get what you're trying to say and I agree that "no homo" is just an ironic term that in no way implies that being gay is a bad thing. But, that Camron video is not going to convince anyone because he sounds like a retard and anyone who is already offended by the term is not going to be convinced by the likes of him.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP 1h
Going to go through this one last time, then drop it. Last night really wasn't a massive issue. It was an issue that required a response...

But not a major one. Because of that, I made a couple jokes about handling it, thinking people would understand I was messing around...

That was a mistake on my part. Obviously. Once engaged, I then had some public fun with the...more interesting tweets I was receiving...

Again, probably a mistake. I then said we'd handle it with a sit-down meeting, because that's what our partnership with the NHL mandates...

That is literally what the NHL and the NHLPA have mandated that we do in these situations. Every time. Without exception...

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP 59m
So if you didn't appreciate the jokes or the engaging with trolls, I'm sorry. Going forward we'll be more straightforward on these things.

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP 59m
So- Tyler made a mistake. He apologized. He's going to sit with us and talk about exactly why it's a mistake, then we'll all move on.
For those wondering why Burke "interfered," emphasis (bolded) added.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

He is the one who made it a popular term. He may sound like an idiot but it clearly explains the meaning of it.

Bleh this topic is on 17 pages. 17 pages of dragged out nonsense........I'm done

Old
04-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Gender roles, they're significant. We should try and keep this debate more focused on homosexuality and how offensive "no homo" is, gender roles is just such a huge topic. Patrick Burke even said he wishes somebody would start a You Can Play for misogyny (I forget his exact words, it was during his long tweet fest since last night), but he's focused on homosexuality.
No, I know the concept that gender roles play in the debate, and no, I don't want it to go there either.

The bigger point I wanted to make was the second part of her statement....that she didnt need to say it.

I would think someone's close friends would know if they were gay/lesbian or not and that it doesn't really need to be said....so there's perhaps another reason for doing so.

Anyhow, I more than expressed my thoughts last night, and a quick review of everything else hasn't really changed anything, so I think leaving this thread is probably just a wise move on my part.

Son of Marshmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:14 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
For those wondering why Burke "interfered," emphasis (bolded) added.
Personally I don't have an issue with him "interfering" because it is mandated now. It's how public he's gone, he'd be better off with a short, clear statement saying that he will talk with Seguin than his absurd volume of tweets about the topic IMO. Looks like a guy looking for attention to me.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:14 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
People in Boston still say 'no homo' lol...you guys are behind in times, it's not 2005 anymore

Pretty much a non-issue though

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:16 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Personally I don't have an issue with him "interfering" because it is mandated now. It's how public he's gone, he'd be better off with a short, clear statement saying that he will talk with Seguin than his absurd volume of tweets about the topic IMO. Looks like a guy looking for attention to me.
No doubt about that and I'm sure the NHL wasn't pleased how he kept it going either..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:17 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
this. I don't think their agreement with the NHL mandates public shaming. All he has done is draw attention to something that he's trying to eradicate in the first place. Should have privately messaged Tyler to tell him he took issue with it instead of going on a spree of tweets that blow the whole thing out of proportion.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi Coastal Bawse View Post

If people would JUST think my way.....the world would be fine

where have I heard that before?

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote