Old
04-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I wish I had made this post.

Bergeron is class, maturity and intelligence. Tyler should spend more time hanging around him.
Not everyone is going to be Patrice Bergeron haha. These players are humans, not robots. They have their own personalities, and shouldn't all try to be the same cookie cutter model just for public view if thats not how they are

Guys like Marchand I'm sure tone down their antics and don't post and act crude like they would if they weren't athletes, but seriously imagine how boring the NHL would be if everyone suppressed who they really are just to please everyone else.

Imagine if Ozzie Smith, or Manny Ramirez, was told to void their personalities like you suggest. They make/made the game fun. I'm glad I got to grow up watching Manny being crazy. While there is a difference between what Manny did and what Seguin did, its not that big of a deal really. He is just a 21 yr old kid.

The world needs Bergerons and it also needs Marchands and Seguins. Not everyone should need to fit your cookie cutter mold of the ideal hockey player just because its what you want. They are people too, and while it doesnt excuse homophobic slurs (not that this was even really a slur) I am glad he uses Twitter and is himself

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Oh, and really it could be so much worse. At least Seguin deleted it and apologized for it, not to mention it was a minor thing to boot

Some dude on the 49rs said he didn't want a gay teammate no matter what

Linus Omark demanded a trade request over Twitter (lol)

Evander Kane posting a pic with stacks of money DURING THE LOCKOUT

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

This is ridicolous, only people getting upset are over sensitive or over 30

The wimpification.of society continues.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Dr Quincy

How I long for the old days when I was allowed to be bigoted and hateful. It's such a shame I have to hide it now.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:11 AM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post

Younger people are less sensitive, but society is becoming more sensitive? Can't say that makes much sense to me. Seems like younger people being less sensitive would suggest we are becoming tougher as a society. Ridicolous!

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:44 AM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post

Age has nothing to do with it. I'm over 30 and understand he wasn't trashing homosexuals...

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:33 AM
chippa13*

pretty sure the only way to remedy this is to finally ship him out of twon...he and lucic were given too much money and could bring back major players that try .... imho

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:40 AM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rhian View Post
Oh, and what about this lovely Tweet:

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP 3h
FFS Tyler, I'm trying to write a 20 page paper here. See you when you get back.

Correct me if I am wrong, but FFS- For f***s sake- is that not offensive to some folks who don't like swearing? Just because he didn't spell it out, doesn't mean people don't understand it's meaning. Perhaps he needs to be "educated" on not using acronyms that imply swears in them?
Are you serious?

This is awful..

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:29 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
Nobody's getting bent out of shape or calling for censorship or anything. Some of us are simply pointing out that Seguin may have fallen short of his responsibilites as an adult and a public figure. Some of us simply expect more from adults who have, and make liberal use of, a public platform than to regurgitate slang that can reinforce harmful attitudes.

The fact that "a lot of people his age" talk this way is neither here nor there. He wasn't just talking in private with friends. He was writing in a public forum.

The fact that he might have "meant nothing by his comment" is also neither here nor there. We're not holding a trial regarding whether Seguin is homophobic or not. Some of us just think that, regardless of his intent, he should be more careful given the potential impact of his words. (Is this really so much to ask of an adult?)

We would be having a similar debate here if Seguin had tweeted the oft-used (in young male world) phrase, "that's so gay!": here again, we're dealing with a phrase that has become so embedded in the discourse of teens that it comes to be used by people who are presumably sympathetic to gays, and comes to seem inoffensive to many. That does not lessen the impact of such a phrase on young kids struggling to come to terms with their sexuality. If anything, it can increase the impact, because the very fact that an anti-homosexual phrase can be turned to such accepted, generic, and seemingly benign use can signal to such kids that society takes for granted the notion that "homo" and "gay" are attributes one should stay clear from.

My final comment (and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record by now): the word "offensive" is completely distracting and not up to the issue at hand. I'm not offended by statements like Seguin's. I'm concerned about their cumulative impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That post ^ was about as perfect as they come, Bone. Thank you.
Holy cow! I totally agree with Artemis!

Quite the elegant post, Bone. I agree with you 100%. Well articulated and the points you addressed could not have been stated any better. Good job!

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

I dont give a leaping **** what anyone gets offended over. It just demonstrated a lack of maturity as a professional, and as a teammate.

Sam the Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:46 PM
mattbnh

One thing I liked about his response is that it wasn't the weak "If I offended anyone, I'm sorry." which displaces the apology. He was straight up with "I am sorry I offended' which is way more honest.

Whether it was from the heart or was coached by an agent or friend, that's the right way to fess up.

mattbnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:56 PM
danpantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
pretty sure the only way to remedy this is to finally ship him out of twon...he and lucic were given too much money and could bring back major players that try .... imho

danpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbnh View Post
One thing I liked about his response is that it wasn't the weak "If I offended anyone, I'm sorry." which displaces the apology. He was straight up with "I am sorry I offended' which is way more honest.

Whether it was from the heart or was coached by an agent or friend, that's the right way to fess up.
^Agreed.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote