HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: Calder Cup Playoffs: Lowell @ Pack 4/28 - GAME 5

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Kodiak

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I'm tired of hearing how the Pack has no offensive firepower. That's just not true. Lundmark, Balej, Hamilton, Moore, Wiseman, and Giroux are all legitimate top 6 forwards at the AHL level. The problem is more that Moore, Balej, and Wiseman haven't shown up for the playoffs and the system does not help struggling offensive forwards find their game.

Old
04-29-2005, 09:42 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
the next game...McGill went with Valiquette for the third time in a row, losing two. I'd guess some people would start to second guess that move.

Oh, and yes, Balej is 23, but he's also in the AHL (with lots of guys who are younger and less experienced than him) right now and one would expect at least as good of production he had last season in the AHL - that's what progress is about, mostly. Zero points when his team has needed him the most is very disappointing, after a disappointing season.

LaBarbera was in net yesterday night.

Old
04-29-2005, 09:46 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
this is kind of why people say you can't rebuild in new york...balej has barely played for the rangers and has only been around 1 year and people are already sick of him and ready to get rid of him, questioning "why did sather get him?"

maybe i should just stop watching hockey...

What is this...hockey your speak of watching??

I dont think we should get rid of Balej by any means...im upset because we all know he has the skills to dominate in an AHL game but his name barely even came up during these past 5 games. Last time he went into a slump it took him 20+ games to get out of it...im saying that he needs to find a way to overcome these slumps or he is going to have a tuff time in the NHL, the NHL is a lot harder then the AHL (duh).

Old
04-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Fletch

Thanks..

that was weird; I was almost sure I had the April 28 game - may've clicked the Tuesday night game instead - which happened to be the same score coincidentally.

Old
04-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I'm tired of hearing how the Pack has no offensive firepower. That's just not true. Lundmark, Balej, Hamilton, Moore, Wiseman, and Giroux are all legitimate top 6 forwards at the AHL level. The problem is more that Moore, Balej, and Wiseman haven't shown up for the playoffs and the system does not help struggling offensive forwards find their game.
This is McGill's biggest problem.

I was at the game last night. McGill kept his firepower spread evenly over 4 lines. He needed to concentrate them. When he did on the powerplay where they pulled Labarbera, they scored. Giroux-Lundmark-Hamilton needs to be the first line. When they're on the ice together, things happen. They weren't for most of the game last night. Lundmark was playing with Ortmeyer and Gernander. Wiseman was playing with Hollweg and Murray. Balej was playing with Ulmer and Lawson.

Nobody was impressive last night.

Old
04-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Taz

his line combo's are horrfic at times, these would be mine..

(When gillies is back swap him for ortmeyer and move Ortmeyer it 3rd line to replace Lawson.)

Giroux - Lundmark- Hamilton (All are hot, Lundmark & Giroux have great chemistry)
Wiseman - Moore - Balej (Give Balej linemates that can score and create)
Lawson - Ulmer - Murray (Ulmer seems OK, murray hardworking creat space)
Ortmeyer - Hollweg - Gernander (Nice Shut down line)

Old
04-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Levitate

Quote:
The problem is more that Moore, Balej, and Wiseman haven't shown up for the playoffs and the system does not help struggling offensive forwards find their game.
this is very true and overall the biggest flaw in the system IMO. and yes i agree that moore, balej, and wiseman seem to be invisible lately

Quote:
I dont think we should get rid of Balej by any means...im upset because we all know he has the skills to dominate in an AHL game but his name barely even came up during these past 5 games. Last time he went into a slump it took him 20+ games to get out of it...im saying that he needs to find a way to overcome these slumps or he is going to have a tuff time in the NHL, the NHL is a lot harder then the AHL (duh).
I agree, I'm just sick of the "he's not talented" comments and the such...

Old
04-29-2005, 11:38 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak

goals during 80 games would prove otherwise.

The Pack have NO offensive firepower.

Be it due to the lack of a true top offensive player or due to the dedication to defence.

Of the 3 players you mentioned, I'd say that Hamilton is the only true top line forward. The others are all 2nd line players on the AHL level playing top line minutes and as a result they suffer on the scoreboard.

Old
04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Fletch

Taz...

maybe Balej's bringing Moore and Wiseman down. Wiseman has shown an ability to score in the AHL, and Moore was pretty consistent throughout the season.

Old
04-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Levitate

err, why is it balej bringing moore and wiseman down? are they even playing together right now?

i don't see the logic in that statement, at least in the way you put it. Balej has shown the ability to score at the AHL level too, just like Wiseman, and I completely fail to see how Moore's poor entire second half of the season can be put upon the shoulders of Balej.

Old
04-29-2005, 03:03 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
his line combo's are horrfic at times, these would be mine..

(When gillies is back swap him for ortmeyer and move Ortmeyer it 3rd line to replace Lawson.)

Giroux - Lundmark- Hamilton (All are hot, Lundmark & Giroux have great chemistry)
Wiseman - Moore - Balej (Give Balej linemates that can score and create)
Lawson - Ulmer - Murray (Ulmer seems OK, murray hardworking creat space)
Ortmeyer - Hollweg - Gernander (Nice Shut down line)

My lines would be:

Giroux - Lundmark - Balej (since Lundmark and Giroux are scoring, maybe it will give Balej a spark to get going, maybe the points will happen for him.)

Wiseman - Moore - Hamilton

Murray - Ulmer - Genoway

Gernander - Hollweg - Ortmeyer

Old
04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
and yes i agree that moore, balej, and wiseman seem to be invisible lately
But don't forget, Chad just came back from missing 20 of the last 27 regular season games. It'll take him a while to get his legs back, but he does have a goal and an assist.

Old
04-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Taz

Balej has apparently been playing with Ulmer and Lawson, who pretty much suck.. so i can see why nothings been happening, i also hear hes trying too hard to get it going.

Old
04-30-2005, 10:15 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Balej has apparently been playing with Ulmer and Lawson, who pretty much suck.. so i can see why nothings been happening, i also hear hes trying too hard to get it going.

Ulmer and Lawson both suck. I would have had Falardeau on Hartford instead of those 2 bums.

Old
04-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
To all the critics and cynics of McGill's system and odd line combos:

Were you all complaining last spring when the Pack came within an OT and a Game Seven of making the Calder Cup Finals?

I say the coach has done a very good job with his players. He's preparing them to be two-way players for the NHL. It's not always about winning and losing. How many times have you heard Schoenfeld or Maloney say it? It's about developing players. I'd love for them to win tonight and win Game Seven and get to the second round. But if it doesn't happen, though I'll be disappointed, I'm not going to be up in arms. The Pack still have had a very good season. This team has persevered despite tons of injuries.

Let's Go Pack!!!!!

Old
04-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Ulmer and Lawson both suck. I would have had Falardeau on Hartford instead of those 2 bums.
You mean he's good enough to play two positions at the same time? Wow, he's really been overlooked on the depth chart.

Closed Thread