HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles New Practice Facility

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2013, 01:57 PM
  #26
PK Cronin
Moderator
Bailey Fan Club Prez
 
PK Cronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=9075773

I was hoping they would still practice in Syosset, which I guess wasn't realistic.
I hope they do get a new practice facility, I find that Ice Works is an embarrassment to our organization.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
  #27
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 16,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I hope they do get a new practice facility, I find that Ice Works is an embarrassment to our organization.
If a team can't practice with the broken boards and slumping ice corners at Long Beach Arena, the team is the embarrassment.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 03:54 PM
  #28
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Doesn't Wang own Iceworks?

I'd think he'd want the isles to continue to practicing there.
That is what i have been saying

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:03 PM
  #29
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Doesn't Wang own Iceworks?

I'd think he'd want the isles to continue to practicing there.

.....unless he plans on selling it in the near future.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:25 PM
  #30
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!
 
islesfan186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,638
vCash: 500
New practice arena or not, those cg renders of what the armory might look like is ****ing EPIC! The coolest multi rink complex I've been to is les 4 glaces up in Montreal, where its got a bar/food court elevated in the center of 4 rinks with glass so you can watch whatever games are going on, but if those renders are somewhat accrurate to what the armory will look like....then wow

islesfan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:46 PM
  #31
JTforPres2012
Registered User
 
JTforPres2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
They could still us iceworks. It at least would keep some type of Long island Foot print. Maybe training camp ?
Maybe similar to what the Jets did with Hofstra. I'd be very sad to see all of it's Nassau roots gone.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
  #32
Steve55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Maybe similar to what the Jets did with Hofstra. I'd be very sad to see all of it's Nassau roots gone.
Agreed 100%. For the Isles to be a true Long Island team, they should have presence in both NYC and regional LI.

Steve55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:35 PM
  #33
RichOnTheLI
Registered User
 
RichOnTheLI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: On. The. Island.
Country: United States
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Maybe similar to what the Jets did with Hofstra. I'd be very sad to see all of it's Nassau roots gone.
I feel the same way!

Honestly, if the players wanted to be closer to Brooklyn, I thought they would choose Queens. I can't see them moving into the city, which is Rangers' territory.

Most of the players only stay or rent here during the season. Then they go back to Canada or wherever they're from.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:45 PM
  #34
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Islanders practicing on a peninsula? lol

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:49 AM
  #35
drive45
Registered User
 
drive45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: closer than I appear
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
really?

Oh for cryin' out loud. The video not only failed to feature any explicit or implicit reference to the Isles, but it was crammed with stuff about the rags. Even as a rumour, this was lame.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:46 AM
  #36
Symon Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 706
vCash: 500
I grew up near Kingsbridge Rd. There arent 9 hockey fans there much less a need for 9 rinks

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:52 AM
  #37
lorwood
Registered User
 
lorwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 500
Hey we used to practice at a dump called "Rollin Ice" I think it was in Lindenhurst or Copaigue. Roller Rink on second floor, Ice rink on bottom floor. Non regulation size, boards made of 3/4" plywood sheets and the nets were crafted from chain link fence and galvanized pipe!

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:56 AM
  #38
jdr016
Registered User
 
jdr016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
The New York Post has poor track record with Islander related news also.
They have a poor track record with ALL news!

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:59 AM
  #39
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,592
vCash: 500
I do not think they are even thinking of Using it as a Practice Place. Mark Messier was on the radio yesterday talking about this Possible Project.
It sounds like they want to DO alot with it. Saying they would have Open rinks for kids Games a Small 5000 Seat Arena. He sad something about trying to lure a AHL team. Also spoke about Figure Skating, Curling ETC.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:00 AM
  #40
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Hey we used to practice at a dump called "Rollin Ice" I think it was in Lindenhurst or Copaigue. Roller Rink on second floor, Ice rink on bottom floor. Non regulation size, boards made of 3/4" plywood sheets and the nets were crafted from chain link fence and galvanized pipe!
Really how long ago was this. I would love to See some Pictures of this place

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:37 AM
  #41
WhitePony
Registered User
 
WhitePony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,039
vCash: 500
I don't mind them breaking all LI ties in terms of no longer practicing at Ice Works. The place is not a professional caliber practice space, its kind of embarrassing honestly. If a new, state of the art practice facility is available, I don't care where it is...the team should use it if they have the opportunity.

Acting like a major league team > holding on to crap for nostalgia sake. Its not like the practices are open anyway, who cares?

WhitePony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:56 AM
  #42
teknics
Registered User
 
teknics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: @islesblogger
Country: United States
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePony View Post
I don't mind them breaking all LI ties in terms of no longer practicing at Ice Works. The place is not a professional caliber practice space, its kind of embarrassing honestly. If a new, state of the art practice facility is available, I don't care where it is...the team should use it if they have the opportunity.

Acting like a major league team > holding on to crap for nostalgia sake. Its not like the practices are open anyway, who cares?
I guess everyone forgets that the Islanders practice facility used to be at the County Owned Cantiague Park. Ice Works IS top of the line compared to this.

And seriously, are we THAT concerned about a practice facility? Does it have ice? Boards? Glass? Clearly it doesn't have an effect on the team - right?

They have done A LOT at ice works over the years, to say its a dump is far from the truth.

I got to work out with Jesse Demers (then isles trainer) a few summers ago, the weight room is pretty nice. I also had Konopka busting my chops the entire time I was in there - but that's another story.

teknics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
  #43
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
Agreed 100%. For the Isles to be a true Long Island team, they should have presence in both NYC and regional LI.
But they're not going to be a true Long Island team. That's why they're moving to NYC.

The only way the Islanders brand sticks, is if the team moves into Brooklyn & is an immediate winner. I'm not talking about fighting for 5th in the east either. I'm talking about a Cup contender. If not, then I predict within 10 or so years the name, colors, everything will change. Because Brooklyn simply will not support a bad-mediocre team, and frankly I think it's too far away from the existing fanbase for them to make a good showing every game.

Hopefully it all works out, but I have serious doubts about this move.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:11 PM
  #44
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
But they're not going to be a true Long Island team. That's why they're moving to NYC.

The only way the Islanders brand sticks, is if the team moves into Brooklyn & is an immediate winner. I'm not talking about fighting for 5th in the east either. I'm talking about a Cup contender. If not, then I predict within 10 or so years the name, colors, everything will change. Because Brooklyn simply will not support a bad-mediocre team, and frankly I think it's too far away from the existing fanbase for them to make a good showing every game.

Hopefully it all works out, but I have serious doubts about this move.
I have no doubts at all that it will work out. Because it won't be just Brooklyn supporting them. It will be corporate support win or lose and Wall St/lower manhattan workers, midtown workers and easier access from points north and west. The fanbase will change for the better. Plus a lot of the manhattan workers will be LI residents who can't get to weeknight games now.

Look at it this way, attendance has been better on LI on weekends so the LI weekend crowd will still find it's way to Brooklyn as they have more free time on weekends. The weeknight crowd is what hurts now as there's no mass transit and many work too far from NVMC. That will be supplemented in Brooklyn as mentioned above.

A tweak here or there but I don't see drastic name/color/branding changes even within 10 years, win or lose. Too much history to wipe out even for better marketing. Brand doesn't need an overhaul just some polish.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:14 PM
  #45
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknics View Post
I guess everyone forgets that the Islanders practice facility used to be at the County Owned Cantiague Park. Ice Works IS top of the line compared to this.

And seriously, are we THAT concerned about a practice facility? Does it have ice? Boards? Glass? Clearly it doesn't have an effect on the team - right?

They have done A LOT at ice works over the years, to say its a dump is far from the truth.

I got to work out with Jesse Demers (then isles trainer) a few summers ago, the weight room is pretty nice. I also had Konopka busting my chops the entire time I was in there - but that's another story.
Free agents expect top of the line equipments and facilities, not that thats necessarily the deciding factor, but it helps a lot. Especially for a team that hasnt won for a long time.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  #46
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
I have no doubts at all that it will work out. Because it won't be just Brooklyn supporting them. It will be corporate support win or lose and Wall St/lower manhattan workers, midtown workers and easier access from points north and west. The fanbase will change for the better. Plus a lot of the manhattan workers will be LI residents who can't get to weeknight games now.

Look at it this way, attendance has been better on LI on weekends so the LI weekend crowd will still find it's way to Brooklyn as they have more free time on weekends. The weeknight crowd is what hurts now as there's no mass transit and many work too far from NVMC. That will be supplemented in Brooklyn as mentioned above.

A tweak here or there but I don't see drastic name/color/branding changes even within 10 years, win or lose. Too much history to wipe out even for better marketing. Brand doesn't need an overhaul just some polish.
I guess we will see. If i am a Major Business looking for Corp Seats I am still Looking at MSG not Barclays

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
  #47
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I guess we will see. If i am a Major Business looking for Corp Seats I am still Looking at MSG not Barclays
It's a big city. Plenty of room for both.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:04 PM
  #48
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
It's a big city. Plenty of room for both.
Not going to Disagree there. I would just think there First Choice would still be MSG over Barclays

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:27 PM
  #49
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Maybe similar to what the Jets did with Hofstra. I'd be very sad to see all of it's Nassau roots gone.
I think when all is said and done in a few years, most fans will be very happy. It appears as if the organization is really working on expanding their footprint. If you read the tea leaves all of the following could happen in the next few years (oF COURSE MOST OF THESE ARE JUST RUMORS, I REALIZE but where ther is smoke...):

1. Islanders playing their home games in the Barclays Center (Brooklyn)
2. Islanders practice facility may be the Kingsbridge Armory (Bronx)
3. Islanders farm team could potentially moving into NVMC (Nassau) (Wouldn't it make more sense to call them the Long Island Sound Tigers anyway)
4. Play some pre-season exhibition games as well as maybe a training camp session or two at NVMC (ala Jets and Hofstra)
5. Wang Sells team

If these things happen (heck, if half of them happen) the NY Islanders would be a very attractive place to Free Agents and draft picks. Who wouldn't want to play games in a brand new building practically in NYC. Have practice in a state of the art Ice Skating facility that would be rivaled by none in that same city. And start their professional careers in a building (NVMC) with that much history. ANd of course a new owner would be all the incentive one would need to sign on the dotted line and make Playing for the Islanders and STAYING with the Islanders a very attractive proposal.

I like the vision, I hope some of this comes to fruition.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:03 PM
  #50
PK Cronin
Moderator
Bailey Fan Club Prez
 
PK Cronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 8,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Not going to Disagree there. I would just think there First Choice would still be MSG over Barclays
What if you owned the company?

The strategy should be to win over corporate heads and make them all Isles fans...then we'll have suits just like the Rags.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.