HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Serino gone at Merrimack

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2005, 01:43 PM
  #1
Perry91502
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
Serino gone at Merrimack

www.uscho.com

Apparently Serino is out

Perry91502 is offline  
Old
04-28-2005, 02:14 PM
  #2
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry91502
www.uscho.com

Apparently Serino is out
Thanks for the update, Perry. I have a couple of questions though.

If memory serves me correctly, the entire Warriors coaching staff is gone (or will be soon). Was the players' complaint just about Serino or the coaching staff as a whole? Because this situation looks really suspect to me and I've got to wonder if there's more to this situation than just the unhappiness of the players with Serino. That perhaps there are some bigger, underlying issues here that aren't being publicly discussed/addressed?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Merrimack's program has had a myriad of problems since becoming a D-1 hockey school with issues such as support of the program, not only by the administration but also by the student body; the funding seems inadequate, especially for a HEA school and then there was that whole Anthony Aquino mess, which I'm not even going to get into. I'm not implying that these situations are unique to Merrimack because every school has its own set of problems, but as serious as this situation has gotten, I've got to wonder if there's more here than meets the eye.

What's your take on it?

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
04-28-2005, 03:04 PM
  #3
Perry91502
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Thanks for the update, Perry. I have a couple of questions though.

If memory serves me correctly, the entire Warriors coaching staff is gone (or will be soon). Was the players' complaint just about Serino or the coaching staff as a whole? Because this situation looks really suspect to me and I've got to wonder if there's more to this situation than just the unhappiness of the players with Serino. That perhaps there are some bigger, underlying issues here that aren't being publicly discussed/addressed?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Merrimack's program has had a myriad of problems since becoming a D-1 hockey school with issues such as support of the program, not only by the administration but also by the student body; the funding seems inadequate, especially for a HEA school and then there was that whole Anthony Aquino mess, which I'm not even going to get into. I'm not implying that these situations are unique to Merrimack because every school has its own set of problems, but as serious as this situation has gotten, I've got to wonder if there's more here than meets the eye.

What's your take on it?

Well, from what I have been told (go to www.warriorhockey.com, and see their message board for more), the players asked Serino to leave for many reasons, they didnt like him as a coach, and basically from the way I understand it, the firing of Stu Iriving (asst. coach), was the straw that broke the camels back.

Assoc. Head Coach Mike Doneghey didnt get fired, he resigned to take a Head Coaching job with the Bridgewater Bandits of the EJHL. Stu Irving, a 1972 Olympian, and 22 year veteran coach of the school, was fired. Speculation among fans is that Serino, in a meeting with President Richard Santagatti, blamed his assistants for the loosing season.

Hence the players got wind, asked Serino to resign, and he now is.

Thats the way I understand it at least...

Perry91502 is offline  
Old
04-28-2005, 03:16 PM
  #4
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Oilers Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Philly in April 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
Yeah, I got that much about it. (BTW, I love the warriors hockey site. I check it out often).

So, what you're saying here is that it looks to be more of an (for a lack of better term), an internal discourse within the coaching staff?

Oilers Chick is offline  
Old
04-28-2005, 04:22 PM
  #5
Perry91502
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Yeah, I got that much about it. (BTW, I love the warriors hockey site. I check it out often).

So, what you're saying here is that it looks to be more of an (for a lack of better term), an internal discourse within the coaching staff?
I wouldnt say the coaching staff, I would say the head coach. From what I understand about the whole situation, the guys loved Irving, Doneghey, and McLean (another asst. coach).

I think their dislike was towards Serino. The Warriorhockey message board (I agree, I love the site, the colorman for Merrimack Radio, Mike Machnik runs the site and does a great job!!) has comments from guys like former player Tim Reidy who said that from talking to current players, their problem was with Serino in A) the way he coaches, in game and game prep, and B) how he treated his players, and finally C) The firing of Irving really put it over the top from what I hear.

I feel for the players, they were really put in a tough spot where they felt there was a change needed, but couldnt act on it because they felt it would get nowhere (Serino is also the AD).

Also, it is speculated that President Santagatti and Serino are very close, therefore they thought their complaints would go on deaf ears.

I commend them however. They didnt go to the media, when the reports of the revolt came out, they all declined comment. They wanted to keep it in house.

Perry91502 is offline  
Old
04-29-2005, 06:31 AM
  #6
Polydorus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
(BTW, I love the warriors hockey site. I check it out often).
How about a link for those of us to lazy to look it up?
TIA

Polydorus is offline  
Old
04-29-2005, 08:58 AM
  #7
Perry91502
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydorus
How about a link for those of us to lazy to look it up?
TIA
www.warriorhockey.com

If you go to interactive or multimedia, I forget which one, something like that though, they have a link to the Warrior Hockey Message board.

Good stuff definetly.

Perry91502 is offline  
Old
04-29-2005, 11:50 AM
  #8
Perry91502
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
http://www.merrimack.edu/bin/readmcs...ews.cgi?id=172

its official

Perry91502 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.