VII. In the Prime of your General Stars Talk

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 10:57 AM
SolidusAKA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I think if we finish with the 9th or 10th pick getting the 7th pick is very doable and not overly expensive. Anything higher will be and I think at 7 you'll get a shot at one of those centers which is a need more so than Shinkaruk, Ristolainen, or Pulock. All three are very good players but I'd rather have the center.
Obviously we cant predict how the draft will go, but say we pick 10th.

We could guess that Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov will be gone. This leaves 5 more picks until us. I think at that point too you enter the next tier of prospect which include guys like Lindholm, Nurse, Monahan, RR, Nichushkin, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Gauthier. Add them up, I would say that is 13 prospects that you couldn't be unhappy with and with us picking hopefully 9-11 we cant screw up too bad. In that range, there will probably be:

Calgary - Need everything - Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin?
Carolina - Need D - Nurse?
Edmonton - Need D - RR?
Buffalo - Need top 6 F - Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin?
Jersey - Need top 6 F - Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin/Gauthier?

If literally anyone drops we can be pretty damn happy with whoever it is. Hell, maybe everything goes our way and we do get the 9th pick. Here I see us getting at best Monahan or Lindholm if they somehow fall or at worst Gauthier. I would agree that the difference between these guys is big enough to warrant a trade up, but Im not willing to really invest too much out of our prospect pool so something around Daley would be best. But if we dont end up making a move we will still have decent shots some of these second tier guys.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if teams like Calgary, Carolina, EDM, Buf, or Jersey have histories drafting or going after Russians? I hate being that guy, but I am always nervous around players who can book it to the KHL

Old
04-27-2013, 11:01 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusAKA View Post
I understand the appeal of picking top 6, but does anyone really feel uncomfortable picking 9-14. To me there are like 13 absolute legit prospects in that range and especially those that fill our needs. To me the cost of moving up is way too much when we can still snag solid prospects in the range we have designated for ourselves.
Not at all, I just want (and we need) the higher end players that much more.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Satan
we got bad blood

vCash: 69
Quote:
Random Question:

How good do these lines look for our future?

Eriksson (Monahan/Lindholm/Shinkaruk/Gauthier) Benn
FA/Trade/R.Smth - Faksa Chaisson
Roussel/Fraser Eakin Ritchie
Roussel/Fraser Shore Stransky/Nystrom
MacDermid, G.Smith

Trade Bait/Release: Whitney, Fiddler, Cole

Oleksiak Morrow
Nemeth Dillon
Goligoski Connauton
Larsen, Bystrom, Sinitsyn, Gaunce, Jokipakka

Trade Bait/Release: Daley, Robidas, Rome

Lehtonen
Campbell
There is no way in hell a team plays that many rookies. Literally zero chance barring immense injuries to the team

Old
04-27-2013, 11:04 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Obviously we cant predict how the draft will go, but say we pick 10th.

We could guess that Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov will be gone. This leaves 5 more picks until us. I think at that point too you enter the next tier of prospect which include guys like Lindholm, Nurse, Monahan, RR, Nichushkin, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Gauthier. Add them up, I would say that is 13 prospects that you couldn't be unhappy with and with us picking hopefully 9-11 we cant screw up too bad. In that range, there will probably be:

Calgary - Need everything - Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin?
Carolina - Need D - Nurse?
Edmonton - Need D - RR?
Buffalo - Need top 6 F - Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin?
Jersey - Need top 6 F - Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin/Gauthier?

If literally anyone drops we can be pretty damn happy with whoever it is. Hell, maybe everything goes our way and we do get the 9th pick. Here I see us getting at best Monahan or Lindholm if they somehow fall or at worst Gauthier. I would agree that the difference between these guys is big enough to warrant a trade up, but Im not willing to really invest too much out of our prospect pool so something around Daley would be best. But if we dont end up making a move we will still have decent shots some of these second tier guys.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if teams like Calgary, Carolina, EDM, Buf, or Jersey have histories drafting or going after Russians? I hate being that guy, but I am always nervous around players who can book it to the KHL
Buffalo might take the risk after drafting Grigorenko. That would be one hell of a scary pairing going forward, too.

We also can't ignore the fact that some team might take some guy from deep in the 2nd tier higher up (us included, unfortunately). It seems like most teams will latch onto one guy they want, and all it takes is one guy higher up on each teams' board than another for a guy like Monahan or Lindholm to slide down.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:18 AM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Buffalo might take the risk after drafting Grigorenko. That would be one hell of a scary pairing going forward, too.

We also can't ignore the fact that some team might take some guy from deep in the 2nd tier higher up (us included, unfortunately). It seems like most teams will latch onto one guy they want, and all it takes is one guy higher up on each teams' board than another for a guy like Monahan or Lindholm to slide down.
That's what im hoping for. I just cant see how we can blow this. If we can snag either Lindholm or Monahan that's fine. But even if we end up with Gauthier, I would still be really excited. And I wish Domi would stop playing so well on sportsnet games. In an ideal situation, Boston goes to the ECF and we can snag Domi at 27-30. I would love him on this team, total dark horse of the draft I think. Although he doesnt play like St.Louis, he reminds me of that kind of all energy, all strength little dude who has insane skills. Would be like a young Whitney for Chaisson...

Eriksson – Monahan/Lindholm– Benn
Domi/Horvat - Faksa – Chaisson
Roussel – Eakin – Ritchie
Fraser – Shore – R.Smith
MacDermid – G.Smith – Stransky

We might have one of the fastest/strongest core in the league

Old
04-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

I thought Stransky right now is projected to be a top 6 player. Wouldn't he start in the AHL before being called up?

Old
04-27-2013, 11:29 AM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
I thought Stransky right now is projected to be a top 6 player. Wouldn't he start in the AHL before being called up?
To be honest, I didnt know where to put him on our depth chart because its already so deep on right wing haha. Maybe he can play left?

Old
04-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Domi will go top 15, book it.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Satan
we got bad blood

vCash: 69
Quote:
Domi will go top 15, book it.
That wouldn't be surprising considering how he's played in the OHL Playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Zrhutch

So I made a "power ranking" of some of the free agents. Basically in the order of who Dallas should go after.

(IF we acquire Barkov/Monahan/etc.)

1. Mason Raymond- Speedy McSpeedSpeed with a scoring touch. May benefit from a change of scenery. Basically fits the Stars mold like a glove.
2. Mark Streit- Offensive defenseman, basically a poor man's Brent Burns. Would be a fantastic partner for Robidas or Oleksiak.
3. Andrew Ference- Strong to quite strong defensive defenseman. Would be good on a shutdown pairing.
4. Stephen Weiss- If Raymond, a cheaper option, doesn't work out, I could see Weiss coming in and being a fixture on the 2nd line.

(If we somehow **** up the draft)
1. Weiss- he can play center, and he's second line material. THROW MONEY
2. Tyler Bozak- a 2C/3C kind of like Eakin. Wouldn't be optimum, but wouldn't be bad.
3. Mason Raymond- same kinda thing.

Also, lastly as a random thought- does signing Iginla as a stopgap appeal to anyone?

Old
04-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
So I made a "power ranking" of some of the free agents. Basically in the order of who Dallas should go after.

(IF we acquire Barkov/Monahan/etc.)

1. Mason Raymond- Speedy McSpeedSpeed with a scoring touch. May benefit from a change of scenery. Basically fits the Stars mold like a glove.
2. Mark Streit- Offensive defenseman, basically a poor man's Brent Burns. Would be a fantastic partner for Robidas or Oleksiak.
3. Andrew Ference- Strong to quite strong defensive defenseman. Would be good on a shutdown pairing.
4. Stephen Weiss- If Raymond, a cheaper option, doesn't work out, I could see Weiss coming in and being a fixture on the 2nd line.

(If we somehow **** up the draft)
1. Weiss- he can play center, and he's second line material. THROW MONEY
2. Tyler Bozak- a 2C/3C kind of like Eakin. Wouldn't be optimum, but wouldn't be bad.
3. Mason Raymond- same kinda thing.

Also, lastly as a random thought- does signing Iginla as a stopgap appeal to anyone?
I'd put a defensive defenseman much higher on my free agent wish list.

I don't think Iginla makes sense because he is going to get a 3-4 year deal and I don't expect him to be producing at a 5m or higher cap hit in 3 years.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
Shore on the fourth line.. like.. you are just joking around right?

Old
04-27-2013, 02:13 PM
BigG44

Ideally, as much as I'd love to see Iginla come to Dallas, the team has all the veteran wingers I want.

I think Whitney, Eriksson, Cole, and Nystrom (assuming he's signed .. if Joe stays, I assume he is) are all they need to go into this next season with to have a steady hand on every line. Obviously it's tough to consider breaking up the chemistry of the old man line, but in reality we all understand that Nystrom and Fiddler belong being slotted in as an above average 4th line, and Cole has shown he can play with a fast, straightforward line. Personally, I think he'll eventually settle in as an ideal partner for Eakin. Hopefully they can both pick up their offense next season ... Eakin improving on his nice numbers this year and Cole getting back to where he's been before this year.

Whoever is GM, I think adding a short-term piece at 2nd/3rd center should be the focus. I say short-term because I think they'll only fill this role long time through drafting. There's just almost never a chance in free agency to really find a quality 1/2 center. Every guy that hits the market typically has some baggage. So yes ... overpay a bit for Bozak on a short term deal if you have to, take a chance on another Eakin-type trade, just don't go crazy and sell the farm (Cash or assets) to sign/trade for a risky player just to gamble they MIGHT fill the role.

So ... get a guy to fill out the Top 3 centers, let Chiasson, Smith, Fraser, Ritchie, and any young guy who shocks the world in camp compete for the remaining 3 Top 9 winger spots, and finally create some fierce competition between Roussel, Garbutt, and MacDermid for playing time next to Fiddler (and Nystrom if he's signed) on the 4th line.

The D situation is more complicated. Dales injury and potential surgery obviously impacts any decisions here, but I like the idea of planning on 3 veteran players and 3 younger players. I'm honestly OK if they decide to count Dillon as an established guy, but I think there's at least the potential risk of a sophomore slump. Larsen had one this year, of course he was never as solid as Dillon was in his first year. If Joe sticks around, I could see the vets being Robidas, Goligoski, and Daley. I'd assume Larsen gets bounced, Dillon probably plays with Goli, and Rome is forced to compete with young guys for ice time next to Daley or Robidas. If GM Joe leaves ... all bets are off. I can't see the next GM being as scared to truly rebuild. I'd say Robi is gone for sure in that case, and Daley and Goligoski would be on short leashes. Rome probably sticks around because of his steady, unspectacular play and cheap, cheap contract. He's a slightly overpriced very good 7th option if you go with a bunch of young guys who might need a benching ever so often to get their game back in order.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

G,

I don't disagree with your assessment or logic of what Joe will probably do but I don't understand how anyone who has watched this franchise for the last five years thinks that bringing in one kid winger and one kid defender plus Bozak is going to earn better results. That's ludicrous and quite frankly insulting.

Anyone who expects Cole to get 60 points next year is going to be disappointed. A defense that returns Goligoski, Daley, Robidas, and Rome is destined to suck again and oh yeah, bringing back Nystrom without shipping out MacDermid or someone else just adds yet another 4th line winger to a team that has too many of them already.

Either go big and bring in some real talent or go young and see who can sink or swim out of all the kids, but this half ass let's tread water with what we've got will only result in more .500 hockey where Dallas will once again be battling for that 9th-13th placed team in the West.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:18 PM
BigG44

Quote:
G,

I don't disagree with your assessment or logic of what Joe will probably do but I don't understand how anyone who has watched this franchise for the last five years thinks that bringing in one kid winger and one kid defender plus Bozak is going to earn better results. That's ludicrous and quite frankly insulting.

Anyone who expects Cole to get 60 points next year is going to be disappointed. A defense that returns Goligoski, Daley, Robidas, and Rome is destined to suck again and oh yeah, bringing back Nystrom without shipping out MacDermid or someone else just adds yet another 4th line winger to a team that has too many of them already.

Either go big and bring in some real talent or go young and see who can sink or swim out of all the kids, but this half ass let's tread water with what we've got will only result in more .500 hockey where Dallas will once again be battling for that 9th-13th placed team in the West.
Change like that means a new GM. Like I said in the Fire Joe thread, I'm not going to worry myself with it because there's no telling what Gaglardi does.

If Joe stays, I doubt much changes. If he goes, well ... anything probably goes, and this off-season could be pretty crazy in terms of player movement.

Regardless ... what do you expect to happen next year? There's not really much Dallas can do that will have a huge impact on the team next season. There's really not a single huge impact free agent they can go get, and any trade for a player like that will probably do more harm than good. Their path to the playoffs next season, regardless of who the coach and GM are, rests on player development over the summer. If guys have sophomore slumps or don't take the next step in their development, Dallas will be in the same position next year.

Old
04-27-2013, 05:27 PM
BigG44

Reading this article was interesting. A member of the Winnipeg press sort of summed up Goligoski even though he was talking about Byfuglien.

Now ... I'm not talking about lines like this, "stands in the way of progress. He either needs to begin moving in the right direction or be removed from the path." Goli isn't good at times, but I don't think he's holding the team back. That's a collective effort and lack of talent hurting Dallas right now.

This though sounds pretty similar:

Quote:
The 28-year-old Minnesota native played in 43 games this season, scoring eight goals and 20 assists. Solid offensive numbers, but too often the production came at a cost. The Jets were among the worst defensive teams in the league, ranked 25th with 141 goals against.

Byfuglien, as one of the blue-line leaders in ice time and opportunity, wears much of that responsibility. He can take one's breath away with a rush up ice but he can also produce great angst with his lack of defensive awareness.

Keeping him in such a key position no longer makes sense. It isn't working.

There's been talk about Byfuglien changing his game to be more balanced and less of a risk. It hasn't materialized into a consistent reality.

His fitness issue was supposed to be addressed and resolved. Hasn't happened. It may have gotten worse.
Anyway ... just thought the article was interesting and semi-relevant to Goli.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:42 PM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
There is no way in hell a team plays that many rookies. Literally zero chance barring immense injuries to the team
I just meant in terms of like a 2017 roster lol, like, could these guys be able to fill those roles. Didnt necessarily mean to imply those would actually be the lines.

Also,
Is Shore panning out really well or does he suck? I couldnt tell by PrimeTimey's comment. I know so little about him, is he a solid prospect or nothing special?

Old
04-27-2013, 06:45 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I just meant in terms of like a 2017 roster lol, like, could these guys be able to fill those roles. Didnt necessarily mean to imply those would actually be the lines.

Also,
Is Shore panning out really well or does he suck? I couldnt tell by PrimeTimey's comment. I know so little about him, is he a solid prospect or nothing special?
Piqued on I are on the same page with Shore. He had a fantastic freshman season for Maine, and I think he's going to be a good one.

He's extremely skilled, and you can tell he has a high hockey IQ. I think he could be the best Dallas OJHL pick of Reilly Smith, Alex Guptill, and Shore himself.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:50 PM
BigG44

Wow .... so pretty much everything is on the table now, huh?

As much as I want playoffs more than anything, I think we might see a meaningful rebuild this summer.

I'd say the gloves are essentially off, and if I'm a player/prospect for the Stars ... I don't feel comfortable at all.

Daley and Goli are young enough to probably not get shipped out, and they'll help get to the floor. I think Robi is gone gone gone though.

I wonder what happens with Whitney and Cole though. I think you obviously have to keep the Wiz after how successfully he was with Chiasson, but I wonder if they'll retain Cole. Dallas, as a courtesy, may have allowed him to keep his NTC, so Nill might have that roadblock.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Nemeth
Mo Money Mo Problems

Would like to see Cole get bought out this season.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
That would be dumb. Trade maybe, but buyout makes no sense.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:05 PM
BigG44

Quote:
That's honestly not reasonable.

The trade was a very poor decision, but Cole is a good hockey player. He's probably not worth his contract anymore, but I like the way he plays the game.

You have to do your best to get value out of him. That means he stays on your team, or you retain some salary and try and recoup value.

We'll never recover the value lost by not selling Ryder. Buying out Cole makes a bad decision worse.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:09 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
That's honestly not reasonable.

The trade was a very poor decision, but Cole is a good hockey player. He's probably not worth his contract anymore, but I like the way he plays the game.

You have to do your best to get value out of him. That means he stays on your team, or you retain some salary and try and recoup value.

We'll never recover the value lost by not selling Ryder. Buying out Cole makes a bad decision worse.
Agreed. Say what you want about Cole, but he's on pace for a 20 goal season in a year where by all accounts he mailed it in. He'd be a great 3rd line option next year, with huge potential to bounce back with a real off-season training + training camp.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Troy McClure

Even if Cole is overpaid, the Stars won't use the cap space he's eating.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Even if Cole is overpaid, the Stars won't use the cap space he's eating.
Might even need it to reach the floor

Closed Thread