ECHL To Indy In 2014?!

http://www.ibj.com/investment-group-.../article/40873

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 500
I thought the league wanted to expand more out west?

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:20 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
I'm sure they _want_ to expand out west, but they'd be a fool to turn down a decent owner in a potentially good market just because it wasn't "out west". Indy and Fort Wayne in the same league for the first time since 1999 should be a huge draw if it happens, in both cities.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Vos

God I hope this is true. I just can't get into the USHL product. The play is ok, but minor league hockey is all about rivalries, and Indy has none in the USHL. It's been 14 years since Indy has played Ft wayne, and I can assure you, the hatred has never left either camp.

One plus is, that the Indiana State fair board has no love for current Ice owner Paul Skjodt. Another is, that the renovated Coliseum will be a top notch facility with it's own practice rink on site. One negative is, the aforementioned Skjodt seems intent on keeping the USHL in Indy. He is putting money into keeping a downtown rink open and he is the son-in-law of the owners of the Pacers and has connections to Bankers Life Fieldhouse. A hockey war will kill both teams, one before it has a chance to start.

Vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 04:32 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
If this AHL swap were to ever become "reality" you would think the opposite.

If only Bloomington's "coin flip" had ended up on ECHL. Potentially adding peoria would be big.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Cyclones Rock

Indy would not only have the in-state rivalries of Fort Wayne and Evansville, but the travel situation would be about the most ideal in all of minor league hockey. Check out these distances:

Ind-Cincinnati.....112 miles
Ind-Ft. Wayne....124 miles
Ind-Evansville....183 miles
Ind-Peoria.....215 miles
Ind-Toledo.......225 miles
Ind-Kalamazoo....245 miles
Ind-Wheeling.....302 miles

Wheeling would be the longest trip and still under 5 hours.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
If they do it, I hope they do it right. I don't want to see another Chicago. Indy would be a great city pretty close to many other teams!

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:05 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
If they do it, I hope they do it right. I don't want to see another Chicago. Indy would be a great city pretty close to many other teams!
You're back!

Chicago was a dumb idea. Tried once before and failed.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:12 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

ECHL definitely has the "space" to expand. (Even with their self-imposed restriction of like 24 teams, if a good situation presented itself, I can see them expanding to at least 30.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:18 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I hope they don't go to 30. Then this 1-1-1 nonsense will become the chatter of the day. I see a time where they get back to one coast eventually, in the long run it makes too much sense.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:22 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
I hope they don't go to 30. Then this 1-1-1 nonsense will become the chatter of the day. I see a time where they get back to one coast eventually, in the long run it makes too much sense.
And that coast is on the left.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:00 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 133
It'd make sense. I've always said that Indy would make for a great minor league hockey market.

Ice still draw decently well despite being essentially not advertised at all (at least from my memory when I lived in-state).

On a personal note, though, the first hockey game I ever saw in-person was an Ice vs Steel game in Indy, so it would be somewhat bittersweet to see that team go down.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
And that coast is on the left.
The right when the AHL goes West.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:

Amen.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:45 PM
SenorChifles

I can see the ECHL becoming a more centralized league and in a few years do not expect to see an teams on the West Coast and even fewer in the South.

SenorChifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:22 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Amen.
be careful what you wish for, Steelhead16, Idaho could be headed to CA, under the Anaheim affiliation, remember how Bakersfield reacted when Anaheim had no AHL Affiliation.

IT IS HIGHLY unlikely given the way LA and SJ have openly demostrated their support for both Manchester and Worcester, in particular, that you might see 30 teams eventually, but not our league in the Mountain West or California, UNLESS Bakersfield goes the way of Fresno, because doesn't both LA/SJ technically have control of Ontario and SF BASED off this season in SF, ESPECIALLY.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:41 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

IIRC, LA owns ECHL Ontario.

SJ just affiliates with ECHL SF. SF just signed a multi-year lease and put hundreds of thousands into improving venue. Unless someone is paying them back, don't see anything changing soon.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

San Francisco did better attendance wise then I expected...especially at the COW PALACE.

I think you may be right Hans, especially if Indy really does join. They have so many teams wthin a decent short distance. The South to me feels tapped out. They have tried it all(even went back to Greenville) I think what you have now is what you've got. Whether Greenville and Orlando hang on long term I cant answer. The only change I can see is if the AHL ever leaves Charlotte they could return. Theres a good Midwest start already in the East. I'm not sure how long Elmira and Wheeling can last...if they go I cant see Reading willing to live on an island.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
be careful what you wish for, Steelhead16, Idaho could be headed to CA, under the Anaheim affiliation, remember how Bakersfield reacted when Anaheim had no AHL Affiliation.

IT IS HIGHLY unlikely given the way LA and SJ have openly demostrated their support for both Manchester and Worcester, in particular, that you might see 30 teams eventually, but not our league in the Mountain West or California, UNLESS Bakersfield goes the way of Fresno, because doesn't both LA/SJ technically have control of Ontario and SF BASED off this season in SF, ESPECIALLY.

Matters not to me. I quit supporting our ECHL organization anyway. I would rather our WSHL team move to the NAHL anyway. An AHL team with NHL management/ownership or Juniors is fine with me. Our ECHL management would need to do better just to do a poor job. Team does well on the ice but Davis Cup tennis outdrew playoff hockey by 4 times a couple weeks ago.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:11 PM
cyclonesdiehard

I hope Indy does join the ECHL. Although this presents an interesting idea to me. You have teams in
Toledo
Kalamazoo
Cincinnati
Evansville
Fort Wayne

Lets just play Devil's advocate for a moment. Lets say for whatever reason the AHL moves teams west, and for some reason the ECHL falls apart. With those teams, and then adding Indy,and Peoria we have a nice 7 team league. Lets also say Dayton by some act of amazement gets a new arena, and Bloomington wants pro hockey back or may succeed better in my bus league. Then the league would be a pure midwestern hockey league that looks like this

Bloomington
Cincinnati
Dayton
Evansville
Fort Wayne
Indianapolis
Kalamazoo
Peoria
Toledo

That is a nasty rivalry fueled division or league. I hope a majority of these cities get to play together.

cyclonesdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:13 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

Quote:
San Francisco did better attendance wise then I expected...especially at the COW PALACE.

I think you may be right Hans, especially if Indy really does join. They have so many teams wthin a decent short distance. The South to me feels tapped out. They have tried it all(even went back to Greenville) I think what you have now is what you've got. Whether Greenville and Orlando hang on long term I cant answer. The only change I can see is if the AHL ever leaves Charlotte they could return. Theres a good Midwest start already in the East. I'm not sure how long Elmira and Wheeling can last...if they go I cant see Reading willing to live on an island.
Are the Checkers owned by their NHL parent(The Canes)?

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Jackets Woodchuck

Quote:
What's your problem with 1-1-1?

Jackets Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:53 AM
PCSPounder

Quote:
...and then over 20 years, they'll switch again.

That's not as bad as the NBA D-League making nearly a complete lap around America in 15 years, to the point where they may end up in the South again. Well, maybe not.

If it depresses you that I've all but stated that the best way to market minor pro hockey is to take it to places it hasn't been in a few years, my more sincere apologies, but the math (to about 95-99%) overwhelmingly supports my sad conclusion.

Last edited by PCSPounder: 04-26-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Because one punch line wasn't enough
PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Are the Checkers owned by their NHL parent(The Canes)?
Peter Karmanos (Canes owner) doesn't own the Checkers, it is owned by the same guy that owned the ECHL franchice.

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
...and then over 20 years, they'll switch again.

That's not as bad as the NBA D-League making nearly a complete lap around America in 15 years, to the point where they may end up in the South again. Well, maybe not.

If it depresses you that I've all but stated that the best way to market minor pro hockey is to take it to places it hasn't been in a few years, my more sincere apologies, but the math (to about 95-99%) overwhelmingly supports my sad conclusion.
I cant believe the D League still exists, if you know basketball to a small degree you know that NBA teams need at the most 11 or 12 guys and usually have 14 or 15 signed on a team.