HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

1260 CFRN Comrie Karaoke

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 05:55 PM
PigeonCamera

vCash: 500
1260 CFRN Comrie Karaoke

Bryn and Jake played a song this morning (to the tune of 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes) that was in a word, harsh. Another word that springs to mind is funny.

Basically it was a none to friendly send up of our young Mike, that included a fictional conversation of Comrie offering to autograph Big Georges jersey, begging anyone to ask him for an autograph, and eventually asking Georges to go with him when he's traded. Eventually there is the sound of Comrie getting smacked after complimenting Georges on his hair.

I think it was made by 1260's sister station (which I think is the Bear) so keep your ears pealed. If any of you have heard it already, do you agree that it was a bit...ahem...angry?

Old
09-24-2003, 06:07 PM
USC Trojans
AD

oh man, I hope it wasn't too harsh.
Its starting already, the people are beginning to drive Comrie out of town. If this gets any worse, then Comrie will definitely be wearing a different jersey the next time we see him.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:36 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
oh man, I hope it wasn't too harsh.
Its starting already, the people are beginning to drive Comrie out of town.
That's JUST what Lowe has been waiting for to pull the trigger. Happens within a week.

Oh alright. What the heck do I know?

Old
09-24-2003, 07:08 PM
zamboni

So it begins...

Edmontonians will be nothing but fools for running one of the most skilled players out of town.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Cerebral

Sigh.. methinks even if Comrie signs soon, he'll be driven out of town by the fans.. i've seen a lot of negative reaction to Mikey's holdout but not too many positive comments I s'pose that's what you get in a hockey town like Edmonton though..

Old
09-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
i would like to hear this badly now

Old
09-24-2003, 07:16 PM
zamboni

Even if this is a small market club...the fans have to understand that the NHL is a business more than anything now. Nearly every player is going to hold out at one point of his career. Besides, if Lowe is still low balling MC, I don't blame him for holding out. Booing accomplishes nothing. Fans demand that Comrie bounces back, yet he's being mocked and eventually will be boo'd when (or IF) he plays another game in Edmonton. If they want him to preform like he should, why the hell boo him?

Old
09-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
If they want him to preform like he should, why the hell boo him?
Exactly! Believe it or not, I actually felt really bad for Tom Poti when was in this same situation. Every time Poti touched the puck he got booed and you could tell this threw his game off.. ironically enough, it's sort of a self-fullfilling prophecy. A player holds out, fans want him to stay in town, he comes back, the fans boo him and thus his performance goes down and he is eventually traded. There is no doubt in my mind that Comrie will get booed badly if he misses even one regular season game

Old
09-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Goil

Send a message via ICQ to Goil
Me thinks he and his agent will be driving the bus that he leaves on and Lowe will pack it. The fans won't be to blame on this one. If he signs and then the Poti thing happens, then you have a case, otherwise it is premature to suggest the fans are to blame.

Quote:
So it begins...

Edmontonians will be nothing but fools for running one of the most skilled players out of town.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:14 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Sigh.. methinks even if Comrie signs soon, he'll be driven out of town by the fans..
Maybe. It totally depends on how he handles things IMO. If he signs a good deal for the team and says the right things about loving the city and team and taking less money than others did to play....I don't doubt he'll be welcomed back. Remember Poti publicly said he wanted a trade. Big, big difference IMO.

BTW Edmonton is Comrie's home town. He might not want to burn bridges like Poti did.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:54 PM
GorillazXL

I'm a Comrie fan, and feel that he deserves better then what he's been getting from Oil fans, but I heard it from the bros himself...he's outa here. So lets start talking trade; saw some pretty good trade ideas, but the one that would tickle me pink would be Comrie for Komarsariek. I figure this team has drafted a ton of forwards but has left our D without youth (other then Lynch, I still think we should of drafted Richard Stelik w/ one of our second round picks this year). We could trade J. Smith for a decent centre and give the "C" to the real captain of the oilers; Ryan Smyth.

GXL

Old
09-25-2003, 05:40 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
So it begins...

oh boo hoo...

comrie's running himself out of town. not that i can blame him - i'd trade the admiration of everyone in edmonton for an extra million bucks too.

in the meantime, you should remember (all you comrie defenders) that empathizing with him assumes that he thinks like you. he doesn't. he thinks like a spoiled millionaire.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:19 AM
copperandblue

The way I remember the Poti situation going down was that although the fans were not happy with the hold out, similar to what we are seeing with Comrie now, the booing didn't start until he came back and simply didn't perform.

At the beginning it was chaulked up to missing training camp and there was some patience but the real booing wasn't until after Christmas when it was clear that it was a wasted season for him and it was costing the team in the process.

With Comrie, IF he signs and plays here, I think the booing will hinge on wether the team is playing well and still having success AND how quickly he gets up to speed and proves that he is truly worth the extra $$$ he is looking for.

It's totally up to Comrie how the fans will recieve him.

As for the fans already running him outta town. Based on some of the rumours, are the fans really responding in a way that doesn't totally play into the plan the Comrie camp has?

If Comrie doesn't want to play here, then songs on the radio - good or bad - won't sway his decision to stay. All this fan reaction BS does is, if Lowe understands that Comrie is to be traded - by demand of Comrie himself - then by simply waiting a while until pulling the trigger the idea of the trade becomes more accepting by the fans.

Let's be realistic here, if Comrie will never play for the Oilers again then Lowe is in a lose lose situation. He trades his #1 center and if he trades for a center he is open for the court of public opinion like when he traded Carter for Dvorak last season, and if he uses the trade to shore up the defence then the trade may look better personnell wise but it leaves a gaping hole at center.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:27 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
but I heard it from the bros himself...he's outa here.
Who are the 'bros' that you heard this from?

Old
09-25-2003, 06:31 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Who are the 'bros' that you heard this from?
my guess is "Mix Masta Imake****up" and "Heavy Looking fo' Attention Gangsta"...

Old
09-25-2003, 06:41 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
my guess is "Mix Masta Imake****up" and "Heavy Looking fo' Attention Gangsta"...

Now now, play nice with the other kids in the sandbox...

Old
09-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
, but I heard it from the bros himself...he's outa here.
I would like to know what in blue blazes this means. This isn't the hood and I don't want to figure out the shizzle on your whizzle. I am too old for that.

And as far as Comrie goes...I was in the "Please sign so we can forget about this crap." camp. I think regardless of lowball or not, Winter needed to figure out a way to get Comrie in camp and failed. That may be a financial windfall for Comrie/Winter in the long run.

I said months ago, that if Comrie didn't sign(even if the contract was less than desirable) that the fans would turn on him. Any immature indiscretion would have been forgotten with a contract, and a good season, last season would have been a distant memory.

Edmonton fans are educated and don't like being pissed on.(And like I said this hold out is a public relations fiasco.)

He used the Mike Van Ryn rule to strong arm a better contract than he could have otherwise negotiated.

He came back early from injury to insure the big money bonuses on his contract.(And if you think it was to help the team moreso, remember the point above. If someone has show an example of financial greed, then you have to point to the pattern of money being the motivator, not the love for his team.)

So in my opinion he had no choice from a fan pleasing perspective and that was to sign a less than desirable contract.

If the fans are turning on Mike Comrie, that writing isn't new. That writing was on the wall months ago.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:00 AM
gretzky2kurri

It is pretty obvious the Sun or Brownlee or whoever does the "what about Mike" segment everyday would like to get the public against him. Songs about him and this situation won't help in the least either. In the Sun today the showed some positive responses.......but the negative ones really rip him up.

Although I've made my own feelings clear on this situation, I dreaded that it would come to this. Why the dread you ask? Well because I'm not always right. And there is still a part of me that feels he could have a good season. Not a big part......but still a part.

What I don't like about the recruiting of boo-birds is the fact that it basically takes the situation out of the hands of Comrie, his agent and Kevin Lowe ala Tom Poti. People that don't follow the situation closely pick up the paper and read that someone feels he's a spoiled brat and should be shipped, take the easy road and chime in. Because at this point it's easier for the uninformed fan to defend the "spoiled" angle than the "why we should keep him angle". Therefore public opinion to punt him starts snow-balling.

I still feel the Oilers might be better off trading him.......but I didn't want the public that watchs 3 full Oiler games a season hopping onto a public bandwagon in a "hockey frenzied" market, that has become increasingly easier to step onto with the help of the media.

As uninformed as many seats on that wagon may be.......it has alot of clout in this city.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I still feel the Oilers might be better off trading him.......but I didn't want the public that watchs 3 full Oiler games a season hopping onto a public bandwagon in a "hockey frenzied" market, that has become increasingly easier to step onto with the help of the media.

As uninformed as many seats on that wagon may be.......it has alot of clout in this city.
You don't give the average Edmonton fan much credit. To me it seems pretty obvious that Mike is not totally responsible for the situation, but that he has a lot to do with it. He did not once say that he just wanted the deal to get done so he can suit up for the Oilers again - it has always been so "I can just play hockey."

He wants to be moved and he will.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:25 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
You don't give the average Edmonton fan much credit. To me it seems pretty obvious that Mike is not totally responsible for the situation, but that he has a lot to do with it. He did not once say that he just wanted the deal to get done so he can suit up for the Oilers again - it has always been so "I can just play hockey."

I agree, and I think rallying the fans against him works in both the Oilers' and Comrie's favour... why?

First off, I admit that his trade value does go down somewhat when Comrie's made out to look like a whiney baby, but also consider:

1. If Comrie truly wants out of town, then the process will be expidited with negative fan reaction to a holdout.

2. In Lowe's previous dealings, there is far less controversy when the players become unpopular with the public... no matter how well he may have done in the deal.

For example, some have said that the York for Poti/Murray swap was won by the Rangers (which I disagree with), but often that sentiment is accompanied with something like "but the writing was on the wall, so it was a good return considering the circumstances" - but IMO I'm sure he would have made that exact deal even if the fans weren't booing Poti every night.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:30 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I think regardless of lowball or not, Winter needed to figure out a way to get Comrie in camp and failed. That may be a financial windfall for Comrie/Winter in the long run.
Its not a guarantee with the new CBA coming in. (?) Peca's camp did it, but then they didn't have a new CBA to worry about.

So Winter/Comrie, if they're thinking along those lines, are still basically gambling Lowe will trade him this year so they can sign a big contract before the current CBA expires. However I still think an unsigned Mike Comrie coming off a <1.1mil rookie contract might be a hotly tradable commodity after the new CBA if a salary ceiling is put in place. I might be sorely naive and wrong on this, but I could see Lowe telling Comrie he signs or sits until after the war. His hopes for a big payday might be greatly reduced, and in the meantime he misses out on 1.5 mil (or whatever).

Old
09-25-2003, 08:35 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam

If you are right Sam..........I feel there is a deep rift between him and the coach, and decided to price himself out of Edmonton when it was announced MacT would remain behind the bench.

I DO know that the average Edmonton fan knows hockey. I live there. But there are a pile of people at work that have an opinion on this subject "suddenly" that watch about 2 games a season and went to an Oiler game about 8 years ago. That's all I was trying to get across. NOT that Oiler fans were uninformed.

I knew this would happen.....

Old
09-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Its not a guarantee with the new CBA coming in. (?) Peca's camp did it, but then they didn't have a new CBA to worry about.

So Winter/Comrie, if they're thinking along those lines, are still basically gambling Lowe will trade him this year so they can sign a big contract before the current CBA expires. However I still think an unsigned Mike Comrie coming off a <1.1mil rookie contract might be a hotly tradable commodity after the new CBA if a salary ceiling is put in place. I might be sorely naive and wrong on this, but I could see Lowe telling Comrie he signs or sits until after the war. His hopes for a big payday might be greatly reduced, and in the meantime he misses out on 1.5 mil (or whatever).
That is fact and there is no guarantee but if the trade is to say....Detroit and he signs there...or the trade is to NYR and he signs there, means that his salary this year and next and next would likely be more significant if he was traded. And usually a player of Mike's calibre doesn't start getting contracts worth less for about 8 years. Looking at a progressive scale, if he gets 2 million plus bonuses, then 2.4, then 2.6 his contract after that will have an increase of similar scale.

Old
09-25-2003, 10:26 AM
barto

As I recall, Weight was a holdout (still in the Sather era) and was initially booed when he came back on the ice, but the boos quickly died down when his play started to get back to his 'usual' level. (Shortly after that he got injured, I believe, fwiw).

With Poti, he had made some dumb statements during the contract negotiations like "the Oilers don't want to pay me what I'm worth", which were particularly galling after a pretty average year the season before. Then when he finally plays again, he SUCKED (not surprising considering he missed all of camp & pre-season games), and seemed to drag Brewer down with him. He became an easy scapegoat for those games the Oilers lost.

Comrie, at least, is staying silent and not making any inflammatory comments like that. we're left to pick over what he DIDN'T say while we look for clues.

I'd say that his first game back (if he signs) he gets booed a fair amount, and for every bad play he makes he gets an extra boo, but for every good (or great) play he makes, the boos get quieter and fewer. Any goal he scores, each assist, every fiesty play counts as "positive" effects to counter the 'negative' balance he's worked up with the holdout.

You might (likely will) have the odd loser who will boo no matter what, but tell me how many fans won't clap & cheer for Comrie when his name is announced as the goal scorer...not many, and fewer each time he scores or makes a good play.

So from a fan's perspective, I'm not sure it's all over for Comrie and he would be booed out of town.

Think of it this way - for all those "coming-out-of-the-woodwork" fans who are all over Comrie right now, they'll all fade away very quickly once the situation is resolved. If he signs & plays for the Oilers, that kind of fan will be one of the first to go "Oh yeah, that's right - he's a pretty damned good player. GO COMRIE!"

Fickle is as fickle does.

No wait, that wasn't the phrase I wanted...well, anyway, the key word there is 'fickle'.

Bart

Old
09-25-2003, 10:33 AM
gretzky2kurri

Well put Bart.

And basically every situation is different as you displayed. And perhaps the fact that he's from Edmonton (seems to be a HUGE priority for some fans) people might actually forget sooner.

ASSUMING he produces and at least pretends he cares about defence.

If he doesn't......he could be outta Dodge by Christmas, ASSUMING he actually got Lowe to over pay him.

Closed Thread