HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around NHL Part IV : The Final Chapter

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Bieksa calling out SJ for embellishment. Great stuff, even suggests his team should do more of that stuff.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

"It's about playing the game with integrity". Thanks Bieksa.

Gillis should give his public gripe about officiating sometime today.
I've seen it all now. Vancouver calling out other teams for embellishing

Old
05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Pepe Silvia

Bieksa could always challenge Thornton to a fight if it bugs him that much. Or give him one of those crosschecks after the whistle. But it's Bieksa, and he only goes after people who he knows won't fight back.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:20 PM
xX Hot Fuss

**** yeah Burish...

Old
05-07-2013, 03:04 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Yes he is. Kadri was the best Leaf for the first month and then Kessel just put the team on his back for the rest of the year.

And becoming more consistent is certainly taking the leap. In fact, that's pretty much exactly what taking the leap is, isn't it? There aren't many players in the league who become significantly better skill-wise from when they're rookies, they just get stronger/more consistent.
I'm sorry, but Kessel this year was not better than Kane during the Cup year. It's great that Kessel, "put the team on his back" for a month.. Kane did it for that entire season. He had almost 20 more points than the next closest Hawk, and he did have 20 more points than the next closest forward (Toews, 68Pts).

I suppose it is, but Kessel went from a 35-point player, to a 60-point player, to a PpG player. Those are leaps. Kane stepped into the league as a near PpG player, and took a step to become a PpG+ player. To say they both took a "leap" at the same time, to me, suggests that they were comparable at that point in their careers. They weren't.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:20 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'm sorry, but Kessel this year was not better than Kane during the Cup year. It's great that Kessel, "put the team on his back" for a month.. Kane did it for that entire season. He had almost 20 more points than the next closest Hawk, and he did have 20 more points than the next closest forward (Toews, 68Pts).

I suppose it is, but Kessel went from a 35-point player, to a 60-point player, to a PpG player. Those are leaps. Kane stepped into the league as a near PpG player, and took a step to become a PpG+ player. To say they both took a "leap" at the same time, to me, suggests that they were comparable at that point in their careers. They weren't.
He wasn't PPG until his third season, was for two seasons, then had a career low the next season (probably because related in part to his wrist injury) and then bounced back to PPG+.

Kessel's offense showed a more traditional path where he just kept improving every year (except 08/09 - 09/10 where there was a small reduction in points).

Kane has put up more points than Kessel in fewer games (and seasons). However, Kessel had a slower start (and obviously didn't do too well in Boston) and has now improved a lot where he has been PPG+ the last two seasons...hopefully that will continue for him.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:40 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Are we really comparing Kane and Kessel?

Old
05-07-2013, 04:43 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
He wasn't PPG until his third season, was for two seasons, then had a career low the next season (probably because related in part to his wrist injury) and then bounced back to PPG+.

Kessel's offense showed a more traditional path where he just kept improving every year (except 08/09 - 09/10 where there was a small reduction in points).

Kane has put up more points than Kessel in fewer games (and seasons). However, Kessel had a slower start (and obviously didn't do too well in Boston) and has now improved a lot where he has been PPG+ the last two seasons...hopefully that will continue for him.
I know he wasn't a PpG player until his third season, that's why I said "near PpG". He stepped into the league, and in his first two seasons had 142 points in 162 games. In his third season, he scored at better than a PpG pace, in 2010-11 he had 73 points in 73 games and last year was a throw-away season, having to play a position he's never played before.

Kessel had a "slow start" because he's not as talented as Kane. If he was, he would have stepped into the NHL and would have been a bigger contributor. Even in his best season in Boston, his third NHL season, he only scored 60 points - playing with Marc Savard, who had 88 points and being outscored by David Krejci, who had 73 points.

Kessel's only been a PpG+ player once. This year.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:

This season doesn't count according to the Toews haters.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

All the Canucks are fake tough guys, would anyone of them take on Torres or Burish? No they'll go after Joe, Couture or Marleau.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:41 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
All the Canucks are fake tough guys, would anyone of them take on Torres or Burish? No they'll go after Joe, Couture or Marleau.
I wish one of them would go after Thornton. Thornton's not a soft guy. He'd blow up Beiksa.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:48 PM
hockeydoug

Julien and Carlyle
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=422609
"I've heard a lot about the faceoff issues and I've looked at the video, too," Julien said. "It is what it is. Guys get kicked out, or not kicked out. When you lobby for something, it's because you're looking for a bit of a break next game and that's what Randy's doing right now -- he's lobbying for some breaks on the faceoffs, and it's going to be interesting to see whether the referees and the linesmen just do their job next game and not worry about who's crying wolf."

Why do I have a strange feeling Julien will be complaining about the officiating or something along the same lines as Carlyle next game?

I hope Q doesn't take the bait when asked. I'm still waiting for Gillis or AV to whine. Maybe AV is too busy polishing the resume'.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
I know he wasn't a PpG player until his third season, that's why I said "near PpG". He stepped into the league, and in his first two seasons had 142 points in 162 games. In his third season, he scored at better than a PpG pace, in 2010-11 he had 73 points in 73 games and last year was a throw-away season, having to play a position he's never played before.

Kessel had a "slow start" because he's not as talented as Kane. If he was, he would have stepped into the NHL and would have been a bigger contributor. Even in his best season in Boston, his third NHL season, he only scored 60 points - playing with Marc Savard, who had 88 points and being outscored by David Krejci, who had 73 points.

Yeah, and last year he was a PPG player.

I don't get your point??? You haven't said one thing to convince me he isn't a very good player. You've just decided because Kane's better that means Kessel is bad

Old
05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Yeah, and last year he was a PPG player.

I don't get your point??? You haven't said one thing to convince me he isn't a very good player. You've just decided because Kane's better that means Kessel is bad
Re-read my posts. I've never once tried to convince anyone that Kessel bad.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Also Kane started like 20% more shifts in the offensive zone in the Cup year compared to Kessel this year. Frankly its not even a contest.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:10 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaub View Post
Also Kane started like 20% more shifts in the offensive zone in the Cup year compared to Kessel this year. Frankly its not even a contest.
Having 88 points over 82 games is far more impressive than having 52 in 48, and despite the zone starts, Kessel had a higher on-ice SH%.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Their different players, Kane is much more of a playmaker, Kessel is an out and out goal scorer. They are both 2 of the top 5 RW in the NHL and any team would gladly take either of them. Arguing beyond that is really semantics and personal opinion.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Their different players, Kane is much more of a playmaker, Kessel is an out and out goal scorer. They are both 2 of the top 5 RW in the NHL and any team would gladly take either of them. Arguing beyond that is really semantics and personal opinion.
Kane is more clutch, but then again Kessel hasn't had much opportunity to be clutch, especially in the playoffs.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:38 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Fleury is horribad

Old
05-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Kurtosis
COYS

So no GDT tonight?

Old
05-07-2013, 07:58 PM
ndgt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
So no GDT tonight?
There's one.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:07 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

A horrible sad excuse for one.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
A horrible sad excuse for one.
I thought it was one of the best of the year. Don't get down on yourself.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:14 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Simplicity at it's finest. Less is more kinda thing.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:17 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Pitt is SO easy to hate.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:27 PM
madgoat33

kessel is not just a goal scorer. I've watched a ton of leafs games this year, he's a really good player.

also, there goes those "juggernaut" pens again. same story every year, its flat out comical at this point.

Closed Thread