HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the turning point for this season?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:27 PM
startainfection

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
The team started playing better when Goldie Got Arrested for Touching some Fan. That is when things got better
i knew it, that guy was bad luck

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88th Precinct View Post
My guess is that a combo of getting DP out of the picture, Bailey and Okposo coming together, Visnovsky becoming convinced enough to re-up and Capuano either listening to Thompson and Weight more, or just getting more comfortable all happening in a short span of hockey brought this on.

Congrats to the Islanders, the coaches and Snow. The hardest part is yet to come.

Bring on the postseason.

(Fun fact: NYI have gone 18-7-5 since DiPietro was waived.)
Big time! Huge change in attitude

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:56 PM
StumpNYI

Wasn't a turning point, but one of most underrated additions to the roster this season was Cizikas. I love him. Not the most skilled guy in the world but he does his role perfectly. Every time I see 53 on the ice my nerves calm just a bit. Never took a shift off. Averaged a little over 10 mins a game and put up 15 points and 6 goals. When he went down the other night, I felt like we were going to collapse if he didn't come back. I think he is that important. Him and Martin made the 4TH LINE fun to watch.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsniper91 View Post
Yep who needs Nabby? Poulin and Dp would have gotten us to where we are now
Nabby has been solid this season. That's not even in question.

But, no matter how good he has been, if our 2nd line didnt gel and start to score goals we would NOT be in a playoff spot. The 1st line has been ass over the past 2 months, save a game here or there. Your goalie can only keep you in the mix for so long, ask Lundqvist.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
ebis

I might be biased because I love Vis and I've been following him more closely than the rest of the team, but to me it seemed that things changed somehow after he re-signed, as if the attitude of the other players suddenly changed to "We can actually make it this year!". I am happy especially for JT, he seemed pretty frustrated at one point during the season. Most of the players really didn't seem to care back then.

Good luck in the playoffs. And don't you dare resign Vis again after 2 years, I want him finally home.

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:31 PM
CodeE

I wouldn't say Visno arriving.

I would say Visno getting comfortable in our system and realizing our fans don't hold petty grudges against players. Don't have an exact day to pinpoint, maybe the extension day, but he's done wonders on our blueline.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:51 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

There really wasn't one turning point. Just bad things that eventually worked out, and all at the right time.

In no particular order:
- Claiming Hickey, Strait, and Aucoin (Aucoin really solidified the forward group, even though his stats suck)
- Visnovsky arriving and not causing any drama
- JT and Hamonic getting furious after losing to Carolina
- DP being sent down (my favorite )
- Bailey and Okposo stepping up
- The formation of the Martin-Cizikas-McDonald line (I know they haven't been playing together recently, but the three of them gained a lot of confidence after playing with each other, especially Colin)

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:05 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
I wouldn't say Visno arriving.

I would say Visno getting comfortable in our system and realizing our fans don't hold petty grudges against players. Don't have an exact day to pinpoint, maybe the extension day, but he's done wonders on our blueline.
1. Visnovsky allowed to arrive late, partly due to son's health issue.
2. Visnovsky allowed leave of absence to attend funeral of friend's son.
3. Islanders help Visnovsky find a great rural home for his family.
4. Visnovsky signs two year deal with Islanders.

IMO the signing was influenced in part by the first three events. Besides liking his teammates and the direction of the team, he likely viewed the Islanders as an employer of choice.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
leaponover

I just don't buy this DP thing. Everyone knows i'm rooting for him to come back but I also realistically thought it was a good move to send him down. With that said I think it's total coincidence that him being sent down lead to the Isles winning streak. If DP was such a problem in the lockerroom you would have heard about it just like you did with Yashin, Peca, Blake, Kaspar. It would have leaked out somehow. Yeah, we have heard stories of him having a big ego but never stories of him getting into fights with teammates or pissing them off.

Anyway, so I think the turning point was not only the second line producing but the third and fourth lines playing with grit and heart. Once those guys got firing on all cylinders it gave us 4 lines for the other team to pay attention to rather than one. That's all it takes....

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
isles93

Turning point of the season

I have been racking my brain on this. The season started off rough. Can anyone point to a particular turning point this season? When did the turn around begin? For me the most specific event I can point to was when visnovky resigned. Seemed the whole atmosphere changed.

isles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
No more Marty Reasoner
i can't believe it took 30 posts for someone to post this

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:32 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Or "the shift" made by Matty Martin's line that many believed was the turning point of the season. Relatively sure this all occurred in one game, but blanking on which one.
What "shift" was that?

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
i can't believe it took 30 posts for someone to post this
He's so irrelevant that he's not even worth mentioning. He and Rolston can go play in traffic.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
He's so irrelevant that he's not even worth mentioning. He and Rolston can go play in traffic.
I think Rolston was worse. I hope that loser gets his legs cut off, he treated this organization like crap.

Old
04-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I just don't buy this DP thing. Everyone knows i'm rooting for him to come back but I also realistically thought it was a good move to send him down. With that said I think it's total coincidence that him being sent down lead to the Isles winning streak. If DP was such a problem in the lockerroom you would have heard about it just like you did with Yashin, Peca, Blake, Kaspar. It would have leaked out somehow. Yeah, we have heard stories of him having a big ego but never stories of him getting into fights with teammates or pissing them off.

Anyway, so I think the turning point was not only the second line producing but the third and fourth lines playing with grit and heart. Once those guys got firing on all cylinders it gave us 4 lines for the other team to pay attention to rather than one. That's all it takes....
Wait....wait....

You actually want DP to come back? I have nothing against DP either like a lot of fans here, but at this point I hope he NEVER comes back. Not only did he cost us games that he started in, but he also symbolizes everything that was wrong with this organization for a really long time. Doing the deed with DP, IMO, was a shift in culture and attitude for this team. By keeping him up we were pretty much telling the rest of our roster that we were going to lose and they had to deal with it. By sending him down, the message was finally sent that it's time to start winning. Stupid, anti-winning decisions have plagued this team for a long time. Keeping floaters or bad players on the roster like Rolston, Reasoner, Gervais, Mottau exc. exc. instead of calling up harder working young guys was a problem the past few seasons that we finally corrected this season. We have a hungry roster this season, all these guys have something to prove or want. Even Boyes, who I don't like too much, is playing to prove that he is worthy of a nice contract next season.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Dan-o16

Narratives provide the necessity for there to be a "turning point", or some event that changed the course of the year. But this doesn't reflect reality. It was a combination of all of the below:

1. Nabokov improving his play. I don't know what caused it, but it happened.
2. Visnovsky getting comfortable and taking more ES icetime.
3. Ditto with Hickey. Allowed other D-men to take less TOI and give better play when they were out there. Obviously this helped MacDonald/Hamonic the most, but it also helped Streit.
4. The re-emergence of Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo.

The play of the bottom six has been there pretty much all year, with contributors coming in and out.

If you had to single out any single most important change, it was the additions of Visnovsky/Hickey. Because their reliability made the rest of the D and the rest of the roster so much better.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:35 AM
NYI91

A few main things:

1. Defense playing better with the addition of Vis being a huge part of that.
2. Depth scoring and decent play from ALL lines, especially the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line.
3. Stability in net.

They've basically improved EVERY aspect of the team this year. One thing that stands out over the past two months is the consistency, even in a loss, night in and night out.

NYI91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:43 AM
2LeftSkates

It is a combination of things, but the addition(beyond this year) of Viz(who I read was comparable to Marc-Andre Bergeron, lol!) and subtraction of DP are the two of the main reasons.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
19 in a row

Ok we have all talked about on ice plays, and player emergence and transactions but noone has mentioned the obvious. In my mind it is a no brainer. When poster MattMartin started the playoff thread with 16 games to go we were 14-15-3. Since then we are 10-1-3. Coincidence? Fan power? Gotta believe? Going sockless? We want playoffs? Beating the Monkey? I think MattMartin's thread and all of us getting behind it is the real reason for the turn around (true? not necessarily but we all have our own superstions and I like to think we all here have contributed. It has been a fun ride these last 14 of the final 16. WTG Matt, thanks for turning it all around for us)

Last edited by 19 in a row: 04-25-2013 at 11:14 AM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:45 AM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
There really wasn't one turning point. Just bad things that eventually worked out, and all at the right time.

In no particular order:
- Claiming Hickey, Strait, and Aucoin (Aucoin really solidified the forward group, even though his stats suck)
- Visnovsky arriving and not causing any drama
- JT and Hamonic getting furious after losing to Carolina
- DP being sent down (my favorite )
- Bailey and Okposo stepping up
- The formation of the Martin-Cizikas-McDonald line (I know they haven't been playing together recently, but the three of them gained a lot of confidence after playing with each other, especially Colin)
All good points, as are those of others. Back in the "who left the gate open" days, even though the Islanders lost some tough ones, there were signs of effort, consistency and resiliency that led to some important wins before Visnovsky arrived and Bailey got healthy.

An example is the game in Pittsburgh on January 29th, coming off a blown loss in Winnipeg. Hamonic sprained his ankle in Winnipeg, but to everyone's surprise played in considerable pain in Pittsburgh. Cizikas scored the first goal of the game, the first of his career, and Colin McDonald showed how feisty he is (although he was suspended for a hit from behind). The Isles won 4-1, part of a very successful road trip.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:24 PM
redbull
movin'on up

I do think the loss to Carolina (the 5th loss in a row) in Feb and the subsequent 7-0 loss to Philly were instrumental. The Carolina game was this one:

good times.
---
The reason this team is now among the best in the east, the league for that matter, is because of WORK ETHIC.

Bailey-Okposo have chemistry, with one another and with Nielsen, and they are playing well. But their skill is the same as it ever was, they didn't get "better" - they just started competing much harder. MUCH harder.

I happen to think that Carolina game, how tough JT (as their leader) took the loss and at a time where he was playing his best hockey, Hart Trophy type hockey, working his tail off yet the team kept losing - that was a turning point.

Since then (with the Flyer game the exception) - the team's been out-working everyone, the effort level has been incredible (Boyes still is lazy and so is Moulson, though less so).

In terms of the defense. Visnovsky started playing Feb 9th. Before that, AMac had played over 25 minutes in almost all the games, one over 31 minutes. The distribution of time on defense has been MUCH improved in the last couple of months, as has the +/-.

I'd say Streit has also played much better. And he's much better with Strait as a partner (over Carkner).

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Fan101

1) Wang announces move to Brooklyn: Franchise has a NY area future.

2) Hickey on waivers: Snow surenders 2007 1st rd choice but winds up with player LA selected 6th overall in 2007 1st rd. Add in emergence of 2nd line, all former NYI high draft choices.

3) OT win in Meadowlands: Snow doesn't sign PA but Boyes gets OT winner.

4) 2nd MSG Game: 4th line starts it.

5) 2-1 NYR loss: Cappy keeps team focused.

6) 2-1 NYR OT Loss: Another loss but we preserve 1 pt which keeps us ahead of NYR in standings. NYR have post game letdown but Isles stay on track.

4) Last win in Meadowlands: Team plays with total pump. Every game against NJD was huge, we lose on opening night but win in OT in next game, then get stoned by Hedberg at home but comeback and beat him in next home matchup. Three wins against NJD may have put them out of the race.

5) Last two PHA wins: After previous 7-0 drubbing, we win in Philly and play a great home game to get playoff position getting home fans totally pumped. Finally handling Philly.

6) 4-1 PITT win: Looking good on Versus and getting national attention. Last year we lost a stinker in Boston on versus and Jones/Milbury/Maguire gave an embarassing analysis.

Hard to pick one, but thought the win against Hedberg may be a sleeper.

Fan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:15 PM
OlTimeHockey

The only two I saw were DP being banished after laughing up Nabby's injury and Viz signing on. The team changed immediately after the ego was removed, though. Everyone stepped up. Partly IMHO because DP sucked on ice and in the lockerroom and partly because the team was willing to do what it takes to win.....which probably helped get Viz to sign.

And further, Nino is sitting and not with the team because Snow has changed the team environment to reward hard work and achievement, not cap maintenance and favoritism.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:16 PM
burana800

Maybe not the turning point but this is just too funny.. Nielsen@ 2:53 -->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfBaNKeDqY

burana800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
The only two I saw were DP being banished after laughing up Nabby's injury and Viz signing on. The team changed immediately after the ego was removed, though. Everyone stepped up. Partly IMHO because DP sucked on ice and in the lockerroom and partly because the team was willing to do what it takes to win.....which probably helped get Viz to sign.

And further, Nino is sitting and not with the team because Snow has changed the team environment to reward hard work and achievement, not cap maintenance and favoritism.
Wait what? The DP part not the Vis part.