HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the turning point for this season?

Old
04-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Potvinscup5

vCash: 500
losing 6-1 to Pittsburgh back in March

Potvinscup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:59 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

When Kyle Okposo finally decided to give a **** and play a way we've never seen before

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:03 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Wait what? The DP part not the Vis part.
when DP was on camera laughing in the runway; just after Nabby was run and down hurt, the camera switched to the backup goalie {DP} as if to check on who would be coming in, we saw Rick laughing in the runway - NOT AT NABBY'S INJURY, but not showing any concern at the same time - and the camera shot was probably the smoking gun that got Rick demoted I believe two days later.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:10 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
When Kyle Okposo finally decided to give a **** and play a way we've never seen before
He looks like he did under Nolan when he first came up but.....his stickhandling by far has come a long, long way. He shot more under Nolan, FWIW. But he and Bailey I think came after the turnaround and possibly because of the turnaround. The bench must be a huge part of the equation, guys believing, getting along, working together better....the chemistry factor has to be a big factor in several players playing better.

I credit Bailey and Okposo as the reason we went 11-1-3 and not just a tad over .500, though.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:29 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Wasn't a turning point, but one of most underrated additions to the roster this season was Cizikas. I love him. Not the most skilled guy in the world but he does his role perfectly. Every time I see 53 on the ice my nerves calm just a bit. Never took a shift off. Averaged a little over 10 mins a game and put up 15 points and 6 goals. When he went down the other night, I felt like we were going to collapse if he didn't come back. I think he is that important. Him and Martin made the 4TH LINE fun to watch.

totally agree 100%, he is my favorite kind of hockey player-- a guy who doesn't have the most skill, but totally makes up for it in effort, and smart play. I dont think ive liked a 4th line the way i like this one. him and martin are totally relentless on the forecheck, and constantly up the guy whos got the pucks ass.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:44 PM
InformTheMasses

What was the turning point of the season? Well if you read tonight's GDT, where the season is over and we are 'limpng into the playoffs', must have been the shotout loss to Carolina.

We are on our way to losing to Buffalo, Getting swept by Pitt in the first round and not progressing enough as a franchise.

Maybe the team SHOULD have moved to Quebec or Kansas City. This place is loony tunes.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:57 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Wait....wait....

You actually want DP to come back? I have nothing against DP either like a lot of fans here, but at this point I hope he NEVER comes back. Not only did he cost us games that he started in, but he also symbolizes everything that was wrong with this organization for a really long time. Doing the deed with DP, IMO, was a shift in culture and attitude for this team. By keeping him up we were pretty much telling the rest of our roster that we were going to lose and they had to deal with it. By sending him down, the message was finally sent that it's time to start winning. Stupid, anti-winning decisions have plagued this team for a long time. Keeping floaters or bad players on the roster like Rolston, Reasoner, Gervais, Mottau exc. exc. instead of calling up harder working young guys was a problem the past few seasons that we finally corrected this season. We have a hungry roster this season, all these guys have something to prove or want. Even Boyes, who I don't like too much, is playing to prove that he is worthy of a nice contract next season.
Of course i'm rooting for him to come back. I don't care if it's with the Islanders but yeah, the fact that i'm actual a decent human being means I do hope he can get his career turned around and dominate again. I am not saying that there are good chances of that happening but I can still hope for it.

So with that being said....wait wait wait are you actually rooting for DP to never play another nhl game with anybody ever? Wow, you must also be secretly rooting for Pronger and Staal to never play another game either eh? I bet you were really happy when Berard almost had his eye cut out....good stuff....

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Bert Marshall days

Nielsen points to rally vs. Rangers as Islanders turning point

It was this past Valentine’s Day in Madison Square Garden, the Islanders were coming into a rivalry game with the Rangers having lost five in a row and looking as if their annual swoon had begun. But what happened next changed the fate of the season, changed the way Nielsen viewed the first 6 1/2 years of his career, all on Long Island, and changed his knowledge of what it took to win.

After the coaching staff berated the team during intermission, the fourth line started the second period. McDonald forced a turnover and took a hit to get the puck in the zone. Martin delivered a hit to Marc Staal behind the net, then Cizikas won a puck battle with Anton Stralman in the corner.

Cizikas then looked up and made a great pass in front to net-crashing McDonald, who netted a little poke passed an unsuspecting Henrik Lundqvist. All of sudden it’s 2-1, just 29 seconds into the period, and the world came into better focus.

“Pretty much from that shift, we’ve been playing the same way,” said Neilsen, whose team came back to win that game in a shootout.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/islande...BlJiKCFfQTAwKM

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:58 PM
bvon44

Thought of another turning point from a strictly superstitious sense....did anyone else notice that the "Gate Open" commercial's disappearance coincided with the start of the Isles' hot streak?

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote