Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Time to look for help to the great North West

Old
05-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Shimoe

vCash: 500
Time to look for help to the great North West

As our season dangles by a thread, I don't think its too early to start thinking about some big changes of our own. I really like Yeo, I always have. But I think he is still about 10 years away from being a head coach and he was exactly where he should have been when we surprised the NHL and promoted him to head coach. His inability to make game plan adjustments is so glaring, its embarrassing. Once he has been rattled, he reverts to what is comfortable and what he knows. The problem is the opposing team knows this too and the outcome is predictable. The Wild have done what should and shown that they are ready to compete on the big stage and backed that up by going out and securing big time talent and did so for the long term. In addition, they have drafted extremely well which is paying off NOW. Coyle, Brodin and Zucker just to name a few. The jury is out on Granlund but this team has no excuse not to go far in the next couple of years which brings me to my point. Yeo has got to go. We don't have time for on-the-job training when we have a time assembled NOW, primetime and just waiting for the chemistry to solidify.

Alain Vigneault is going to be fired in Vancouver, its just a matter of time. The Wild should waste no time picking him up and putting him behind the bench. He is a good, no great, hockey mind and has seven years of dealing with high salary, high maintenance players in a high pressure hockey town. If you want to blame anyone for why things haven't worked in Vancouver, look no further than their GM Gillis. Every trade he has made has been a disaster. He signed Luongo to the worst contract in NHL history, making him untradeable. Gillis couldn't give Luongo away at this point with the cap hit that is going to hit any time that picks him up for the next 12 years....oh yeah, and the Cap contracts this year by 6+ million and Vancouver has 11 positions to fill for next years roster and they are already at the cap LOL.

While I'm on the topic of our friends in the North West, why don't we make a play for Cory Schneider? All the cards line up for this move. Vancouver has to get rid of one of those goalies and no one is taking Luongo's contract, no one. Schneider is young, good, very good. He is signed for the next two years at 4 million. The Wild have no goalie. I love Backs but lets face it, he is at the end of his career. I really really feel for Harding, I really do but the health questions just can't be answered by anyone and I don't think I need to go into Kuempher. I'll probably get flamed for throwing this out there but I wouldn't be opposed to throwing a Granlund and a pick out there for Schneider. Maybe Granlund winds up being a superstar and I'll regret ever putting this thought to paper but this could be the kind of move that puts us in position in a couple of years to realize our dream. If not Granlund, maybe another big prospect but that is what its going to take to get the goalie that we NEED. It helps both teams, Vancouver solves their goalie nightmare, gets younger and drops salary. Minnesota gets a potential franchise goalie and with some defensive help could become a force in years to come.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Last edited by Shimoe: 05-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Stopping Pucks
I like goalies.

vCash: 14000
I would hate to see Schneider here. Maybe Lu for cheap if he's bought out. AV is a great coach and has show his respect for the Wild. If Yeo's fired, wouldn't have a problem seeing him in Minnesota.

I just don't want to see Schneider at all.. I mean.. really.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:46 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

I'd be OK going after AV just to hear the guys on KFAN struggle to say "vigneault".

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Stopping Pucks
I like goalies.

vCash: 14000
We need a REAL coach. With some cojones.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Idk about AV. He's a good coach, but if Tippet is available I would take him. I think AV has had a lot of talent on the teams he's been in charge of. The talent has carried him somewhat IMO.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
AV? No. Nononononononononononononono NO. We do not need to import part of the central core of the Vancouver organization here.

We need to find a genuinely competent coach. If Tippett becomes available, offer him whatever he needs to get him to come here. If he's not, go after Ruff. And it's not just a new head coach we need. Everyone except the goalie coach needs to go because there are so many parts of our game that are just maddeningly inconsistent. We need a whole new philosophy in the coaching department and that means a clean slate.

And Schnieder? Ehhhhhhhhhhh I don't think he's a true #1 goalie. I think there will be a couple decent goalies on the market this year.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:14 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
I'm with Avder on this. Just say no to AV.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I'm with Avder on this. Just say no to AV.
Agreed - do we want a scapegoat behind the bench?

They've had bad mojo in Vancouver for a long time, a team that is less than the sum of its parts; steer that clear of St. Paul please.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

And if AV can hang Luongo out to dry as a scapegoat, what's he gonna do to anyone else who underperforms?

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:40 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

It's not a bad idea. If/when AV gets the axe I would look into it in greater detail.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 01:46 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Question for you Tippet fans: Why?

I'm not bashing Tippet in any way, I don't even know that much about him, which is why I am wondering why some posters here prefer him to the degree that they do?

To me he seems very Lemaire-esque. And I hope I am wrong on this.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

No Tippett please. Ruff would be great, AV ok.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 06:36 AM
forthewild

Anyone who thinks AV is good needs to rethink their stance. AV couldn't do the job in Vancity for years, plus do we need to be labeled as a diving team?

Seriously no to AV, just plain no to AV.

As to why tippet would be a good coach, he always gets his teams playing hard. He knows how to get a team organized and playing to win a game. What he had in PHO to work with was not much and he still did very well with that team.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

I want to get Edler from Vancouver. I like swedish Dmen.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Gaps

Why would the Canucks keep Luongo instead of Schneider after everything that's happened? I don't see it. And no thanks to AV. Also a big fat NO to Joe Sacco (just in case anyone was thinking about it even for a second).

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Jopsey

I want Yeo gone as much as the next guy, but I can absolutely see CF saying something like, " Yeo is showing great improvement and we're going to see where he can take us next year," or some ******** answer like that. I'd love to see Ruff.

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 07:55 AM
forthewild

Also given the way Lou was treated, and the way he spoke about his contract I just don't imagine that situation working it self out. Lou will either be traded or bought out.

Who knows tho, you fire AV and maybe the next guy likes Lou

Old
05-09-2013, 08:51 AM
TheeNorthStar

Why dont we bring in a goalie like Bernier, Halak, Elliot, Fasth, Hiller?

I honestly dont want any part of Lu, Cory Schneider, or AV.

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:25 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

always good for a laugh.

7/10

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Doobz89

No on AV, Ruff would be good he coached Pominville and could lure Vanek here if thats possible. THis team clearly needs another stud D-Man and I think we could do some damage last year if we get some set lines. Who would you guys like the wild to get in the offseason player wise through free agents?

Doobz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

why does anyone think Ruff will work here. out of curiosity.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I do wonder how much of the Wild and Vancouver's success was built on the weaker division the last couple years. We saw the discrepancy in the Wild's win percentage vs playoff and non-playoff teams. Vancouver had pretty much no real competition in the last five years. I do think their team was excellent a few years ago but they've gotten older and haven't had young players come in to add energy and skill, just fill out the bottom lines.

I think AV would be an upgrade over Yeo. Vancouver had good special teams and were solid on both ends of the ice under his tenure. He seems to be more of a coach and less of a peer like Yeo.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
nickschultzfan

Eh. Wild's lack of success is due to our weak offensive centers.

Nucks lack of success is because they have, at best, an average blueline and their offense always depended on the disappearing Sedins.

Not sure that was ever hidden by being in a "weaker" division. Those are well known facts.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 11:09 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Eh. Wild's lack of success is due to our weak offensive centers.

Nucks lack of success is because they have, at best, an average blueline and their offense always depended on the disappearing Sedins.

Not sure that was ever hidden by being in a "weaker" division. Those are well known facts.
As it stands now I don't think our personnel are the reason to blame for our lack of success. I think the problem is that for most of the year the team hasn't played as a cohesive unit. We've seen Wild play and beat some good opponents where the whole team was contributing, then we've seen stretches when one or two lines is playing good, and it goes off and on.

I think that if this team showed up all at the same time and did their role we'd be fine on scoring.

Right now our biggest need is going to be shoring up our blue line, we don't need another number 1 dman, we have two of those, what we need is to get a solid 3-4 guys (whether that is Scandella who steps up or a trade remains to be seen)

But we also must do a better job of adjusting mid game as well.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:05 PM
nickschultzfan

Almost every single goal against the Wild in the series with the Hawks was due to the forwards turning over the puck or being out of position, which allowed the Hawks to walk-in unencumbered.

Blueline is actually decent. Top pairing good. Scandella and Spurgeon pairing has been good. Yeah, that third pairing has been weak, but not really sure that can be addressed other than hoping Gilbert returns to form. UFA Dman class is very weak. We have a lot less trade bullets now. D prospects are a ways away from the NHL.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote