HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Pominville (5/7/13 Update: He's Back!)

Old
04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
Plays like this are enabled by the NHL not doing anything about stopping these hits. You can sit here and say "if we went after him" but think about it, say Konopka elbows Brown, for all we know LA could be like "Browns hit was clean hit on him was dirty" now they want blood back.

Do you expect anyone on the LA squad to come out and say what Brown did was wrong and he needs to be gotten back, now if we get him they will all say "they are targeting us we need to protect our selves"

Eye for an Eye leaves everyone blind.

Again this falls 100% on NHL. instead of this 2 game ********, give him a 20 game ban, see if he wants to do it again.

I said this before and I will say it again. to get rid of these hits to the head do the following.

Every suspension is doubled for a repeat offender, or triple if its that players 4th offense in a 2 year period.

First time it happens in a season it a 5 game ban (5game on each player if it happens more then once in the same day)

Second time it happens its 10 games

Third time it happens its 20 games

Fourth time its 40 games.

There is a two year period until it resets

Who wants to be the 4th guy to hit a guy in the head like this?

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Ran into Pominville. He said he's feeling OK, but obviously with a head, the #mnwild will be cautious. The latter is me talking - not him
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...75583279833089

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dynasty38 View Post
Games are important right now yes. Games were important when we played San Jose and Heatley was injured. Granted he hurt his wrist in the fall, still I get the feeling he never would of fell the way he did if a couple of our guys rushed to his defense and stopped Pickles from having his way.

When is the right time? We never would of had to retaliate against Brown if a precedent had been set before hand that cheap shots would not be tolerated. Instead, Brown and the rest of the Kings felt very comfortable running at Pomminville all game long, Then Brodin.

Now where are we? I Hope Pomminville will be healthy for the playoffs. I suppose it don't matter because we already have a reputation as a team willing to take it up the keister without responding so we'll just get ran over anyway.
Exactly. Other teams have seen that we won't stand up for our players all year and thats why our guys keep getting run. Hell even when Backstrom was run a few games ago against Edmonton no one did a ****ing thing. If someone takes out your goalie you beat the living **** out of him. What is this ****? Watch the Paajarvi goal, Backstrom just gets decked by Gagner.

I'm not embarrassed one bit by my posts earlier either. The Wild have been the punching bag for other teams all year. It embarrassing for the team. Anyone who has played hockey or grown up with the game knows you don't allow another team to touch your goalie ever it doesn't matter what happened. Watch any other successful team and you will see after a cheap hit or big hit on anyone and the other guys step up and throw down.

It just shows these other teams that we aren't going take them running our players. It is the only way to deter those kind of cheap shots in the future. Suspensions don't do a damn thing. Yea it was an important game, but every game of the year is worth the same two points. Had we shown we would stick up for our teammates in previous games maybe we don't see this stuff happening to us now.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
J22

vCash: 814
While I agree that it would be nice to see the Wild stand up for themselves/teammates more often, it really wouldnt change anything. Every team in the league has guys taking/getting run every night.

IMO- Boston is the toughest team in the NHL, but that doesnt stop teams from running at guys like Marchand, Bergeron, or Seguin on a nightly basis. Plus, Boston has shown that they are more than willing to fight anybody who does so, and it still hasnt stopped anything.

The only way it will stop is when the NHL decides it wants it to stop and starts handing down legitimate suspensions. Until then teams can either deal with or get themselves a couple of Cookes or Torres' and just add to the problem.

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
What the crap, Russo!? The guy's got a head injury...stop running into him!!!

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
While I agree that it would be nice to see the Wild stand up for themselves/teammates more often, it really wouldnt change anything. Every team in the league has guys taking/getting run every night.

IMO- Boston is the toughest team in the NHL, but that doesnt stop teams from running at guys like Marchand, Bergeron, or Seguin on a nightly basis. Plus, Boston has shown that they are more than willing to fight anybody who does so, and it still hasnt stopped anything.

The only way it will stop is when the NHL decides it wants it to stop and starts handing down legitimate suspensions. Until then teams can either deal with or get themselves a couple of Cookes or Torres' and just add to the problem.
I agree with this. The issue only subsides when the NHL stops handling stars vs grinders differently + actually punishes the behavior, instead of a bunch of finger waving.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Dubi Doo

It really annoys me that the NHL only handed out a 2-game suspension. The 2 games are meaningless, really. Duthin Brown should have missed at least one playoff game. Oh well, I can't say I'm surprised.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM
10dynasty38*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Embarrassing slew of posts up here ^

There is nothing the Wild could have done either in that game or throughout the season to prevent what Brown did from happening. It was a split second decision by Brown and I'm extremely glad they didn't do anything stupid and retaliate. Barrerio was talking about this exact topic on his show yesterday and he was absolutely right - you play to win the game, and if the Wild would have retaliated and given up a PP to LA and eventually would have lost the game, people would've been complaining that they lost because of that instead.

The part that needs to be fixed is on the suspension side of things. What does a 2 game vacation before the playoffs do to deter Brown from ever doing something like that again in the future? Needs more teeth.
Maybe it would of happened, maybe it wouldn't of. No one really knows if Brown would of had second thoughts if he knew someone was going to immediately punch him in the face.

Maybe its not so much the injuries that are bothering me but what this shows about the character of the team. All I know is that if it were me and I had seen someone knock one of my teammates on his arse there would of been no thinking involved, It would of been pure adrenaline and instinct and a competitive nature that would of compelled me to immediately punch Brown in the face. (And no i'm not a tough guy).

I am not claiming to be an expert, it is JMO, but I think successful teams show the commrodity and spirit to act on impulse rather than be the "Cooler heads prevail" type team. When something like that happens, you can't just say "He'll get his someday, it just has to be the right moment". No! instinct kicks in and if you really feel any type of bond with your team and you act right away.

Anyway No Pommer, No Heatley. Who's next? Maybe Parise? Maybe Brodin? Only time will tell until the Wild toughen up a little and quit acting like sissies.

10dynasty38* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Maybe it would of happened, maybe it wouldn't of. No one really knows if Brown would of had second thoughts if he knew someone was going to immediately punch him in the face.

Maybe its not so much the injuries that are bothering me but what this shows about the character of the team. All I know is that if it were me and I had seen someone knock one of my teammates on his arse there would of been no thinking involved, It would of been pure adrenaline and instinct and a competitive nature that would of compelled me to immediately punch Brown in the face. (And no i'm not a tough guy).

I am not claiming to be an expert, it is JMO, but I think successful teams show the commrodity and spirit to act on impulse rather than be the "Cooler heads prevail" type team. When something like that happens, you can't just say "He'll get his someday, it just has to be the right moment". No! instinct kicks in and if you really feel any type of bond with your team and you act right away.

Anyway No Pommer, No Heatley. Who's next? Maybe Parise? Maybe Brodin? Only time will tell until the Wild toughen up a little and quit acting like sissies.
Exactly!

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:09 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:

I seriously doubt that players think to themselves: "I could smash Pominville's face in with an elbow, but I better not because the Wild have shown they may retaliate."

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:14 PM
10dynasty38*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I seriously doubt that players think to themselves: "I could smash Pominville's face in with an elbow, but I better not because the Wild have shown they may retaliate."
It's like the Bully in school. He's tough when he has no fear of retaliation but when the bullies victim gets a bunch of his friends together to give him a good butt lashing, do you think he is gonna bully that kid again.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Parise was on the radio this morning talking about what it was like on the bench after the Pommers hit happened. He said the entire bench wanted to go after Brown but they knew what would happen if they did. He said that he's played with and knows Brown and Brown is not a fighter so it wouldn't have helped the situation at all (probably would've gotten an Instigator at the least). Also heard Yeo say that Pommers would've been more upset about the Wild losing that game than someone not going after Brown.

I would've stood up and started dancing if someone layed out Brown last night, but I'm not going to say that the Wild were cowards for not going after him. It's obvious that they were told not to do anything about it for fear of putting the Kings on a PP, so all this shows me is that they followed orders.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

It's been a well known fact for decades now, teams who are known to be tough intimidate teams who are known to be soft. And usually it's the tough teams who go further into the playoffs.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Phant03

That would wholly depend on what you call tough. Were the 08 Wings "tough"? 09 Pens? 06 Canes? 10 Hawks? Bruins were but LA was just big not really intimidating like they were going to kick your ass.

Phant03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
It's been a well known fact for decades now, teams who are known to be tough intimidate teams who are known to be soft. And usually it's the tough teams who go further into the playoffs.
The Wild were so intimidated they quaked in their skates and lost the game.

The Kings don't win by intimidation they win by getting teams off of their game which is exactly what Parise said the team knew they couldn't get caught up in. Keeping focused on the task at hand is more important then chasing Dustin Brown around the ice trying to get him to fight you.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:44 PM
10dynasty38*

I've shown this once before I'll show it again. This is how a team responds.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Karl

If the Wild make the playoffs then they need to start sticking up for their guys more. Yes wining the game is important but how can you win if your guys get cheap shouted and are injured? Especially if the Wild face either the Ducks or Canucks in the first round. We all know that these two teams will take every chances they can to put an extra hit or a borderline dirty or dirty hit on a player. Take Burrows and Perry for an example.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:26 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:

You dont really think that Pominville was the 1st guy that Brown ever took a run at do you? He does it pretty much every night.

I agree that the Wild need to be tougher, and react to those types of plays with more of a WGAF attitude, but its not gonna stop other teams from taking runs.

Quote:
It's like the Bully in school. He's tough when he has no fear of retaliation but when the bullies victim gets a bunch of his friends together to give him a good butt lashing, do you think he is gonna bully that kid again.
except in the NHL version of your story, the Bully just hides behind the principal until the victims get in trouble or until he can get the victim alone again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post

for decades? Nope, not even close. In fact I would argue the opposite.
I will concede that it has been trending towards toughness in the last few years though.

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Maybe the Wild would stick-up for their teammates more often if we weren't such a revolving door. Very few players have been together long enough to build relationships.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:16 PM
OpRedDawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post

Eye for an Eye leaves everyone blind.
And if we don't retaliate, we're the only ones blind. Can't win that way.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Shimoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post

The Kings don't win by intimidation they win by getting teams off of their game which is exactly what Parise said the team knew they couldn't get caught up in. Keeping focused on the task at hand is more important then chasing Dustin Brown around the ice trying to get him to fight you.
^ Right on and well put.

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
That's basically it in a nutshell. There are ways to stand up for yourself in situations like that and not end up off your game. Just have to unleash a little disciplined chaos.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Shimoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
There will be plenty of time for that. No one will forget Brown. Russo did mention in his comments that every time one of our big men hit the ice, Brown sprinted to the bench. Being a must win game for the Wild, no way we can afford to take a clear retaliation shot penalty in a one-goal game.

Shimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

RETALIATE!!!

Ok maybe not like that, but it doesn't hurt to draw a little blood.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post

Yes. The situation called for professionalism and cool heads, and the Wild got the 2 points.

Grey matter over barbarism every time.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote