HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XVII

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
For some reason I thought Gaunce was 20...

Also why wouldn't McNally be in the AHL? If he wanted to be as Harvard may not want him back after the cheating scandal.
They want him back, or they would have banned him, not just suspended him for the year.

He's obviously going back.
----

By the way, you also forgot to add Jeremy Price to your list of Canucks prospects, he'll be down there for sure and looked solid in the 2 or 3 AHL games I witnessed him play.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Pip

vCash: 50
Quote:
For some reason I thought Gaunce was 20...

Also why wouldn't McNally be in the AHL? If he wanted to be as Harvard may not want him back after the cheating scandal.
I thought McNally was going to return to Harvard next year

not sure though

Old
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Ballgarath

march 25 1994 is his birthday which makes gaunce 19. barely

Old
04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Jensen
Archi
Gaunce
Lack
Vandermeer
Schroder
Lain
Mallett
Grenier
McNally

That looks like the beginnigs of a very good Peoria/wherever Canucks AHL squad although randomly it seems like our D prospect pool once past Corrado and McNally is brutal...that being said LW is worse
Price, Corrado, Andersson, Polasek, McNally, Hutton is not brutal. Although McNally and Hutton will still be in college. If Harvard didn't want McNally back he would have done something other than sit around for the majority of this season..IE play somewhere else.

Spend some time on this thread to gain info about the current state of Canucks prospects. The d is one of their stronger positions in terms of prospects.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Waveburner

Evan McEneny is a pretty solid D prospect as well. Deserves a mention.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
They want him back, or they would have banned him, not just suspended him for the year.

He's obviously going back.
----

By the way, you also forgot to add Jeremy Price to your list of Canucks prospects, he'll be down there for sure and looked solid in the 2 or 3 AHL games I witnessed him play.
Correct on McNally. There's no confusion in fact. He was suspended from school for a year. He also lost a year of NCAA eligibility. Although I know of no formal announcement, he'll obviously be returning to school and to the varsity hockey team in the fall. Otherwise he would have turned pro already, since he's too old for any kind of junior hockey.

His teammates will be glad to have him back, since Harvard nosedived after the three suspensions, of which McNally's was by far the most prominent. On a personal level, being a sophomore all over again may be his biggest emotional challenge. Three years to graduation, but only two seasons left of varsity hockey.
To me this suggests he'll turn pro after two more years maximum, and possibly after next season if the Canucks think he's ready.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Correct on McNally. There's no confusion in fact. He was suspended from school for a year. He also lost a year of NCAA eligibility. Although I know of no formal announcement, he'll obviously be returning to school and to the varsity hockey team in the fall. Otherwise he would have turned pro already, since he's too old for any kind of junior hockey.

His teammates will be glad to have him back, since Harvard nosedived after the three suspensions, of which McNally's was by far the most prominent. On a personal level, being a sophomore all over again may be his biggest emotional challenge. Three years to graduation, but only two seasons left of varsity hockey.
To me this suggests he'll turn pro after two more years maximum, and possibly after next season if the Canucks think he's ready.
That's not for sure. McNally seems to put a great deal of emphasis on school, otherwise he would have already turned pro rather than miss a season of hockey. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see McNally stay at school until he graduates.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:36 AM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
McNally seems to put a great deal of emphasis on school, otherwise he would have already turned pro rather than miss a season of hockey. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see McNally stay at school until he graduates.
You might be right, but taking a course that was famously easy (thought it turned out to be difficult) and then cheating may suggest otherwise.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
You might be right, but taking a course that was famously easy (thought it turned out to be difficult) and then cheating may suggest otherwise.
Educate yourself on the topic before slandering the kid.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Educate yourself on the topic before slandering the kid.
My comment is accurate, and, therefore, not slanderous.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I've taken a course that was famously easy and been caught cheating at it...it doesn't mean I didn't take school seriously. It just means that at the time, I saw an easy way to get things done and went for it. Cheating (in the form of sharing answers) is a very easy thing to do when it seems like everyone is doing it which will be the case for a lot of kids that take distance education classes or classes with take home exams/assignments...most kids just don't get busted to the extent that McNally, and a large portion of his class, did.

At the end of the day, things worked out very well for me and I'm sure they will work themselves out for McNally as well.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
My comment is accurate, and, therefore, not slanderous.
False, at least try.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
False, at least try.
Are you talking about the course being easy and turning out not to be?

Old
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
FOurteenS inCisOr
FOS COrp CEO

Quote:
False, at least try.
Maybe you should specify what he's "false" about.

From everything I've read on the subject, he's pretty accurate.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Maybe you should specify what he's "false" about.

From everything I've read on the subject, he's pretty accurate.
It's pretty clear PRnuck is taking issue with one certain phrase:
Quote:
and then cheating may suggest otherwise.

The suggestion that cheating (like the entire class did) takes away any of his desire to complete his degree or his commitment to academia is the issue.

Especially calling it "cheating".....if he would have said "collaborating" it may have been glossed over. Just seems like semantics, but one looks like their slandering/speaking ill of McNally's character, the other doesn't.

Just my take.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
I guess it's not cheating when you sleep with someone other than your spouse its just being unfaithful which is totally different anyone who says otherwise is facing a libel suit!

Old
05-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The suggestion that cheating (like the entire class did) takes away any of his desire to complete his degree or his commitment to academia is the issue.

Especially calling it "cheating".....if he would have said "collaborating" it may have been glossed over. Just seems like semantics, but one looks like their slandering/speaking ill of McNally's character, the other doesn't.

Just my take.
"Collaborating" in a class that doesn't allow for it is cheating.

I think the prior posters treatment was fair in regards to his use of wording for what McNally got caught doing.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
lindgren

Quote:
It's pretty clear PRnuck is taking issue with one certain phrase:

Just my take.
I said it "may" suggest otherwise. If that phrase is the problem, and the reason the poster suggested I was slanderous, well that's just laughable. McNally cheated (the "collaborating" wasn't allowed -- it was cheating). Maybe he'll go on to be a Rhodes Scholar. Perhaps he'll be the next Ken Dryden. I repeat: choosing a course that's known to be easy (perhaps he chose it for some other reason) and then cheating on it may suggest he's not serious about academics.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:51 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
I said it "may" suggest otherwise. If that phrase is the problem, and the reason the poster suggested I was slanderous, well that's just laughable. McNally cheated (the "collaborating" wasn't allowed -- it was cheating). Maybe he'll go on to be a Rhodes Scholar. Perhaps he'll be the next Ken Dryden. I repeat: choosing a course that's known to be easy (perhaps he chose it for some other reason) and then cheating on it may suggest he's not serious about academics.
Which if you've followed this kid since we drafted him, is clearly not the case. He's said nothing other than being committed academia.

To be honest I don't care. Academia is for academics. I know too many people who went to University, got a bachelor's degree, couldn't find a job in their field so they went back to university to get a master's, still can't get a job in their field and are driving trucks or waiting tables.

I'm not an academic, two years of post-secondary is about all I could handle....but this whole rant is completely off topic.

You ain't tryin' if you ain't cheatin' Patty....keep it up.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
lindgren

Quote:
He's said nothing other than being committed academia.
I find what he did more convincing than what he's said, but you could still be right.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
I find what he did more convincing than what he's said, but you could still be right.
If he wasn't committed, wouldn't he have went PRO after being suspended for the year and losing a year of eligibility?

If he cheated then dropped out to pursue hockey, I could see it, but he didn't, he's still planning on heading back as far as any of us know.

Thus, I think it's easier to say he's committed to staying in college (which may be different than being committed to academics).

Old
05-01-2013, 01:42 PM
lindgren

Quote:
If he wasn't committed, wouldn't he have went PRO after being suspended for the year and losing a year of eligibility?

If he cheated then dropped out to pursue hockey, I could see it, but he didn't, he's still planning on heading back as far as any of us know.

Thus, I think it's easier to say he's committed to staying in college (which may be different than being committed to academics).
Well, yes, it's hard to disagree with the observation that he's committed to staying at Harvard.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The guy got caught copying a take home assignment with a bunch of other kids. That does not mean that he's not committed to getting a good degree or a good job related to his degree.

I probably know 60 people who have made it through the CA program in Vancouver, 10% of those people have been caught and punished for doing the exact same thing as McNally. These are people who (using one particular person as an example, he is fairly representative of the group) completed high school with over 92% to get accepted into SFU Business, finished in the top quarter of their class at SFU to get a job at an approved training office, worked 60 hours a week as and auditor while doing their CA courses, and eventually got their CAs, and eventually left their office to become Controller then CFO for a multinational company.

What he did was wrong and he has been severely punished for it but based on my experience, it is not evidence that McNally is either not committed or not hard working when it comes to his education. I think you are reading too much into a pretty common "mistake" that young people make.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
id suggest a vast majority of people in university to get a degree are not 'serious about academics'. you can be serious about having a degree without being serious about academics, and by all accounts + everything he's ever done from being drafted to now suggests that a degree is extremely important to him.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:01 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I thought McNally was going to return to Harvard next year

not sure though
I think if he wasn't planning on returning the Harvard he would have turned pro immediately after the suspension.

Closed Thread