HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XVII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
  #126
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
For some reason I thought Gaunce was 20...

Also why wouldn't McNally be in the AHL? If he wanted to be as Harvard may not want him back after the cheating scandal.
They want him back, or they would have banned him, not just suspended him for the year.

He's obviously going back.
----

By the way, you also forgot to add Jeremy Price to your list of Canucks prospects, he'll be down there for sure and looked solid in the 2 or 3 AHL games I witnessed him play.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 09:53 AM
  #127
Pip
Registered User
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 62,907
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
For some reason I thought Gaunce was 20...

Also why wouldn't McNally be in the AHL? If he wanted to be as Harvard may not want him back after the cheating scandal.
I thought McNally was going to return to Harvard next year

not sure though

Pip is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
  #128
Ballgarath
Registered User
 
Ballgarath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
march 25 1994 is his birthday which makes gaunce 19. barely

Ballgarath is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 12:50 PM
  #129
B-rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Jensen
Archi
Gaunce
Lack
Vandermeer
Schroder
Lain
Mallett
Grenier
McNally

That looks like the beginnigs of a very good Peoria/wherever Canucks AHL squad although randomly it seems like our D prospect pool once past Corrado and McNally is brutal...that being said LW is worse
Price, Corrado, Andersson, Polasek, McNally, Hutton is not brutal. Although McNally and Hutton will still be in college. If Harvard didn't want McNally back he would have done something other than sit around for the majority of this season..IE play somewhere else.

Spend some time on this thread to gain info about the current state of Canucks prospects. The d is one of their stronger positions in terms of prospects.

B-rock is offline  
Old
04-30-2013, 06:10 PM
  #130
Waveburner
Registered User
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Evan McEneny is a pretty solid D prospect as well. Deserves a mention.

Waveburner is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 07:44 AM
  #131
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
They want him back, or they would have banned him, not just suspended him for the year.

He's obviously going back.
----

By the way, you also forgot to add Jeremy Price to your list of Canucks prospects, he'll be down there for sure and looked solid in the 2 or 3 AHL games I witnessed him play.
Correct on McNally. There's no confusion in fact. He was suspended from school for a year. He also lost a year of NCAA eligibility. Although I know of no formal announcement, he'll obviously be returning to school and to the varsity hockey team in the fall. Otherwise he would have turned pro already, since he's too old for any kind of junior hockey.

His teammates will be glad to have him back, since Harvard nosedived after the three suspensions, of which McNally's was by far the most prominent. On a personal level, being a sophomore all over again may be his biggest emotional challenge. Three years to graduation, but only two seasons left of varsity hockey.
To me this suggests he'll turn pro after two more years maximum, and possibly after next season if the Canucks think he's ready.

701 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
  #132
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Correct on McNally. There's no confusion in fact. He was suspended from school for a year. He also lost a year of NCAA eligibility. Although I know of no formal announcement, he'll obviously be returning to school and to the varsity hockey team in the fall. Otherwise he would have turned pro already, since he's too old for any kind of junior hockey.

His teammates will be glad to have him back, since Harvard nosedived after the three suspensions, of which McNally's was by far the most prominent. On a personal level, being a sophomore all over again may be his biggest emotional challenge. Three years to graduation, but only two seasons left of varsity hockey.
To me this suggests he'll turn pro after two more years maximum, and possibly after next season if the Canucks think he's ready.
That's not for sure. McNally seems to put a great deal of emphasis on school, otherwise he would have already turned pro rather than miss a season of hockey. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see McNally stay at school until he graduates.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:36 AM
  #133
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
McNally seems to put a great deal of emphasis on school, otherwise he would have already turned pro rather than miss a season of hockey. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see McNally stay at school until he graduates.
You might be right, but taking a course that was famously easy (thought it turned out to be difficult) and then cheating may suggest otherwise.

lindgren is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
  #134
PRNuck
Sell the team.
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,439
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
You might be right, but taking a course that was famously easy (thought it turned out to be difficult) and then cheating may suggest otherwise.
Educate yourself on the topic before slandering the kid.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:26 AM
  #135
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Educate yourself on the topic before slandering the kid.
My comment is accurate, and, therefore, not slanderous.

lindgren is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
  #136
604
Registered User
 
604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
You might be right, but taking a course that was famously easy (thought it turned out to be difficult) and then cheating may suggest otherwise.
I've taken a course that was famously easy and been caught cheating at it...it doesn't mean I didn't take school seriously. It just means that at the time, I saw an easy way to get things done and went for it. Cheating (in the form of sharing answers) is a very easy thing to do when it seems like everyone is doing it which will be the case for a lot of kids that take distance education classes or classes with take home exams/assignments...most kids just don't get busted to the extent that McNally, and a large portion of his class, did.

At the end of the day, things worked out very well for me and I'm sure they will work themselves out for McNally as well.

604 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
  #137
PRNuck
Sell the team.
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,439
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
My comment is accurate, and, therefore, not slanderous.
False, at least try.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
  #138
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,852
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
False, at least try.
Are you talking about the course being easy and turning out not to be?

Hansen 36 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
  #139
FOurteenS inCisOr
FOS COrp CEO
 
FOurteenS inCisOr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Republic of VI
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
False, at least try.
Maybe you should specify what he's "false" about.

From everything I've read on the subject, he's pretty accurate.

FOurteenS inCisOr is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:12 PM
  #140
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Maybe you should specify what he's "false" about.

From everything I've read on the subject, he's pretty accurate.
It's pretty clear PRnuck is taking issue with one certain phrase:
Quote:
and then cheating may suggest otherwise.

The suggestion that cheating (like the entire class did) takes away any of his desire to complete his degree or his commitment to academia is the issue.

Especially calling it "cheating".....if he would have said "collaborating" it may have been glossed over. Just seems like semantics, but one looks like their slandering/speaking ill of McNally's character, the other doesn't.

Just my take.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
  #141
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,952
vCash: 400
I guess it's not cheating when you sleep with someone other than your spouse its just being unfaithful which is totally different anyone who says otherwise is facing a libel suit!




Seatoo is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:23 PM
  #142
604
Registered User
 
604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The suggestion that cheating (like the entire class did) takes away any of his desire to complete his degree or his commitment to academia is the issue.

Especially calling it "cheating".....if he would have said "collaborating" it may have been glossed over. Just seems like semantics, but one looks like their slandering/speaking ill of McNally's character, the other doesn't.

Just my take.
"Collaborating" in a class that doesn't allow for it is cheating.

I think the prior posters treatment was fair in regards to his use of wording for what McNally got caught doing.

604 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
  #143
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
It's pretty clear PRnuck is taking issue with one certain phrase:


The suggestion that cheating (like the entire class did) takes away any of his desire to complete his degree or his commitment to academia is the issue.

Especially calling it "cheating".....if he would have said "collaborating" it may have been glossed over. Just seems like semantics, but one looks like their slandering/speaking ill of McNally's character, the other doesn't.

Just my take.
I said it "may" suggest otherwise. If that phrase is the problem, and the reason the poster suggested I was slanderous, well that's just laughable. McNally cheated (the "collaborating" wasn't allowed -- it was cheating). Maybe he'll go on to be a Rhodes Scholar. Perhaps he'll be the next Ken Dryden. I repeat: choosing a course that's known to be easy (perhaps he chose it for some other reason) and then cheating on it may suggest he's not serious about academics.

lindgren is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:51 PM
  #144
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I said it "may" suggest otherwise. If that phrase is the problem, and the reason the poster suggested I was slanderous, well that's just laughable. McNally cheated (the "collaborating" wasn't allowed -- it was cheating). Maybe he'll go on to be a Rhodes Scholar. Perhaps he'll be the next Ken Dryden. I repeat: choosing a course that's known to be easy (perhaps he chose it for some other reason) and then cheating on it may suggest he's not serious about academics.
Which if you've followed this kid since we drafted him, is clearly not the case. He's said nothing other than being committed academia.

To be honest I don't care. Academia is for academics. I know too many people who went to University, got a bachelor's degree, couldn't find a job in their field so they went back to university to get a master's, still can't get a job in their field and are driving trucks or waiting tables.

I'm not an academic, two years of post-secondary is about all I could handle....but this whole rant is completely off topic.

You ain't tryin' if you ain't cheatin' Patty....keep it up.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
  #145
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's said nothing other than being committed academia.
I find what he did more convincing than what he's said, but you could still be right.

lindgren is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 01:23 PM
  #146
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I find what he did more convincing than what he's said, but you could still be right.
If he wasn't committed, wouldn't he have went PRO after being suspended for the year and losing a year of eligibility?

If he cheated then dropped out to pursue hockey, I could see it, but he didn't, he's still planning on heading back as far as any of us know.

Thus, I think it's easier to say he's committed to staying in college (which may be different than being committed to academics).

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 01:42 PM
  #147
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
If he wasn't committed, wouldn't he have went PRO after being suspended for the year and losing a year of eligibility?

If he cheated then dropped out to pursue hockey, I could see it, but he didn't, he's still planning on heading back as far as any of us know.

Thus, I think it's easier to say he's committed to staying in college (which may be different than being committed to academics).
Well, yes, it's hard to disagree with the observation that he's committed to staying at Harvard.

lindgren is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 02:09 PM
  #148
604
Registered User
 
604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I find what he did more convincing than what he's said, but you could still be right.
The guy got caught copying a take home assignment with a bunch of other kids. That does not mean that he's not committed to getting a good degree or a good job related to his degree.

I probably know 60 people who have made it through the CA program in Vancouver, 10% of those people have been caught and punished for doing the exact same thing as McNally. These are people who (using one particular person as an example, he is fairly representative of the group) completed high school with over 92% to get accepted into SFU Business, finished in the top quarter of their class at SFU to get a job at an approved training office, worked 60 hours a week as and auditor while doing their CA courses, and eventually got their CAs, and eventually left their office to become Controller then CFO for a multinational company.

What he did was wrong and he has been severely punished for it but based on my experience, it is not evidence that McNally is either not committed or not hard working when it comes to his education. I think you are reading too much into a pretty common "mistake" that young people make.

604 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 02:23 PM
  #149
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I said it "may" suggest otherwise. If that phrase is the problem, and the reason the poster suggested I was slanderous, well that's just laughable. McNally cheated (the "collaborating" wasn't allowed -- it was cheating). Maybe he'll go on to be a Rhodes Scholar. Perhaps he'll be the next Ken Dryden. I repeat: choosing a course that's known to be easy (perhaps he chose it for some other reason) and then cheating on it may suggest he's not serious about academics.
id suggest a vast majority of people in university to get a degree are not 'serious about academics'. you can be serious about having a degree without being serious about academics, and by all accounts + everything he's ever done from being drafted to now suggests that a degree is extremely important to him.

Verviticus is online now  
Old
05-01-2013, 03:01 PM
  #150
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,332
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I thought McNally was going to return to Harvard next year

not sure though
I think if he wasn't planning on returning the Harvard he would have turned pro immediately after the suspension.

LeftCoast is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.