HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just saying hello!

Old
04-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Seismic Wave

vCash: 500
Just saying hello!

Hi folks,

My name is Richard and i'm from Falkirk, Scotland. I've always liked the NHL but have really taken an interest since I visited the States last April and went to MSG (Boooooo!)

The Bolts are my team to due to Vinny being on fire when I first started watching in 06/07. Hence why he's also my favourite player.

Incredible move last night for MSL's goal

Pretty difficult staying up to ridiculous o'clock in the UK for the games but I try! I've got GameCenter, I just really wish they didn't end the broadcast right after the game and I could learn a little more about the sport by watching the analysis, oh well!

Anyway, not a great season but here's hoping for next.

Are you guys happy with the appointment of Cooper?

Seismic Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:50 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

We've had Latavians, Fins, and Swedes.. but never a Scot.

Doctor Drej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:31 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I, for one, welcome our Scottish friends. Can't wait to go over there.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Legendary

vCash: 3073
Welcome Seismic Wave.
Have you been lurking for a while or did you create an account as soon as you found HF. If it is the latter you may want to be careful where you tread on HF lest you get yourself flamed for being a Lightning fan and haveing an opinion on hockey.

Xenophobia Catalyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Welcome aboard, friend from the North!

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Seismic Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraphobia Catalyst View Post
Welcome Seismic Wave.
Have you been lurking for a while or did you create an account as soon as you found HF. If it is the latter you may want to be careful where you tread on HF lest you get yourself flamed for being a Lightning fan and haveing an opinion on hockey.
I'm pretty new to the board to be honest but i've noticed an anti Lightning vibe whilst browsing, why is this?

I've also noted that the Hurricanes (was it Gleason last night?) have a reputation for diving and that everyone hates the Red Wings! Is that right?

I'm also still shouting at the TV for an icing when it's clearly been waved off

Old
04-22-2013, 10:34 AM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seismic Wave View Post
I'm pretty new to the board to be honest but i've noticed an anti Lightning vibe whilst browsing, why is this?

I've also noted that the Hurricanes (was it Gleason last night?) have a reputation for diving and that everyone hates the Red Wings! Is that right?

I'm also still shouting at the TV for an icing when it's clearly been waved off

Since Florida doesn't get snow, it doesn't deserve hockey is the mindset of a lot of people on the board. I honestly think that this Lightning board is the only place where people are capable of rational thought. The Canes do have a big reputation for diving. And I didn't know everybody hated the Wings, I thought they were pretty universally loved around the league. People usually hate on the Pens, that's a big deal. Personally, I cannot stand the Bruins. Pens and Canadiens come second and third...

The icing will come

Welcome.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post

Since Florida doesn't get snow, it doesn't deserve hockey is the mindset of a lot of people on the board. I honestly think that this Lightning board is the only place where people are capable of rational thought. The Canes do have a big reputation for diving. And I didn't know everybody hated the Wings, I thought they were pretty universally loved around the league. People usually hate on the Pens, that's a big deal. Personally, I cannot stand the Bruins. Pens and Canadiens come second and third...

The icing will come

Welcome.
The Wings hate is sort of complex. They've been one of the best teams over the last 20 years, so haters are going to hate, but I think in our case it's more of a disdain for the bandwagon.

Given how the division changes next year, I think that there's going to be a lot of tension within the fanbase as Det, Bos, Mtl, etc. are all teams that you'd normally see as TB fans suddenly decide to root for.

The thing is, I could see that tension pull the die hards together at the exclusion of the more casual TB fan and peer pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing.

idea: The Lightning adopt a 'show your colors' campaign emphasizing that not being blue even a small percentage of the time horrifies and enrages Thunderbug.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
The Wings hate is sort of complex. They've been one of the best teams over the last 20 years, so haters are going to hate, but I think in our case it's more of a disdain for the bandwagon.

Given how the division changes next year, I think that there's going to be a lot of tension within the fanbase as Det, Bos, Mtl, etc. are all teams that you'd normally see as TB fans suddenly decide to root for.

The thing is, I could see that tension pull the die hards together at the exclusion of the more casual TB fan and peer pressure isn't necessarily a bad thing.

idea: The Lightning adopt a 'show your colors' campaign emphasizing that not being blue even a small percentage of the time horrifies and enrages Thunderbug.
Leafs fans are in luck.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Good day Dick. Good to have you around.

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
I, for one, welcome our Scottish friends. Can't wait to go over there.
all scots are welcome.

Doctor Drej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:28 PM
sbears
#goboltsgobears

Send a message via AIM to sbears
Welcome Seismic Wave! I have always wanted to visit Scotland and Ireland, beautiful country!

I'm fairly new to this site as well and before finding it I had no luck locating intelligent life on any of the other hockey message sites. This is a great board, be sure to read the game day threads (GDT) during games for lots of fun and laughs.

sbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Seismic Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post

The icing will come

Welcome.
I thought everyone loved Sidney?

For some reason, I can't stand the Flyers! Schenn, Hartnell etc really annoy me!

Who do you guys regard as the best players in the league? Is it the obvious ones like Crosby, Kane etc or are there some guys who I wouldn't have heard of before!

Old
04-22-2013, 02:00 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Welcome to the family. Funny I'll be in Scotland on May 28 and 29

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Most welcome! I share your pain regarding the late nights but oh well, it's part of it I guess!

04-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Most welcome! I share your pain regarding the late nights but oh well, it's part of it I guess!
Me too, but somehow I like it as well. At least at the weekend, I can watch hockey after I come home from a bar or a party.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Me too, but somehow I like it as well. At least at the weekend, I can watch hockey after I come home from a bar or a party.
Mm agreed, great on weekends or when you are off work, I usually record the games if I work the next day.

Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:31 PM
MattM92

I'm diggin' the fans from overseas. Now if only we could have them replace some of the "fans" at the games. That'd be great!

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:34 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
I'm diggin' the fans from overseas. Now if only we could have them replace some of the "fans" at the games. That'd be great!
My brother-in-law is from Glasgow and I really don't think ya want all them Scots at your game unless they're cheering for the Lightning! Very rowdy bunch!

BTW, loved Edinburgh & Sterling...beautiful country and I encourage everyone on this board to go experience it when you have a chance!

Welcome to the Lightning boards!

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:24 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I found before the UK clocks went back it was perfect. 11pm start times, finished by 1ish. Perfect for work the next day/I wouldnt normally miss much coming in from work etc.

Staying up till 2:30 ish, especially if the Lightnign are getting dicked on isn't happening

Slightly OT there.

But welcome fellow Brit!

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
My brother-in-law is from Glasgow and I really don't think ya want all them Scots at your game unless they're cheering for the Lightning! Very rowdy bunch!

BTW, loved Edinburgh & Sterling...beautiful country and I encourage everyone on this board to go experience it when you have a chance!

I am trying to imagine a fan with a Scottish accent at the game yelling out all the hockey lingo. The thought makes me laugh

Glad we've got support over there though!

Old
04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
zeykshade

Best players in the league, imo of course, Crosby and Karlsson. Crosby is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the league. Karlsson is on another level as well above other D.

Honorable Mention, Malkin(but he's off this year), Stamkos(has essentially forgotten how to play), Ovechkin(picking his game back up).

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:52 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Best players in the league, imo of course, Crosby and Karlsson. Crosby is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the league. Karlsson is on another level as well above other D.

Honorable Mention, Malkin(but he's off this year), Stamkos(has essentially forgotten how to play), Ovechkin(picking his game back up).
You forgot Malone

Old
04-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Seismic Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post

I'm quite lucky as I'm only half an hour from both Glasgow and Edinburgh and only ten minutes from Stirling!

Wish we had your weather tho!

Unfortunately I've never been to Tampa. I've only visited NYC and Houston state side

Do you guys get to road games? I follow a "soccer" (the real football ) team over here home and away. Granted the distances are far less but do you miss not being able to follow them cross country?