HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Will the world championships come back to NA?

Old
04-28-2013, 03:18 PM
PSGJ

vCash: 50
Will the world championships come back to NA?

I was curious to see what you North Americans think about the possibility of the World Championships coming back to North America. The tournament in Canada in 2008 had the sixth highest attendance per game in the history of the tournament with 8,834 per game? That's not bad.

The tournament is usually held in two arenas not too far from each other? Which options do you see in North America? The schedule of the AHL and NHL collides with the tournament, but it seems the other leagues are done by the time it's World Championships.

PSGJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Probably not in the near future. There's not enough interest in the US and even in Canada they would have to pick cities that don't have NHL teams. What are the options? Halifax, Quebec, Saskatoon, London...?

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:35 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
The earliest would be 2018. Tournaments are already set through 2016 and the 2017 host will be settled in May where USA and Canada aren't bidding.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:11 PM
boris4c

How is there no interest? Just because the arenas aren't full at capacity doesn't mean there is no interest. As far as I know, Quebec had very solid attendance numbers in 2008 and I'm sure that if such a tournament was organized in Ottawa or elsewhere we would be able to average more than 7,000 fans per game (which seems to be the average when played on European soil).

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Puck Poise

Would it work in Toronto? Never had a World Championship, the centre of the hockey universe, and it is one of the most multicultural cities in the world. That would be great for making sure lesser known teams have some fans at the game. They also have like a million rinks. It would be incredible.

Puck Poise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:58 PM
MTLAzzurri

As a Canadian, I think they should keep them in Europe. They wouldn't be able to hold it in any NHL cities as it coincides with the playoffs obviously.

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Phoenix.

Jobing.com Arena, US Airways Center, and Veterans' Memorial Coliseum can all be configured for ice hockey.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLAzzurri View Post
As a Canadian, I think they should keep them in Europe. They wouldn't be able to hold it in any NHL cities as it coincides with the playoffs obviously.
Absolutely. No offense to the people that love this tournament (i for one love watching the tournament),but since the tournament is not best and best, and it is held during the middle of the NHL Playoffs, it would be a mistake to have it in Canada or even the US. All of the attention and focus is on the Playoffs, and frankly
nobody cares about it. Last year i went to my local sports bar in
Toronto, and told them to put on the Canada game; and the

people there did not know what i was talking about because they did not know that they were even playing. There is no attention to the game. If we win, that is great, but if we do not, it is no big deal. I just do not know why the World Championships are not held maybe during September before the start of the NHL season, so more of the best players can possibly suit up.

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:17 AM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Absolutely. No offense to the people that love this tournament (i for one love watching the tournament),but since the tournament is not best and best, and it is held during the middle of the NHL Playoffs, it would be a mistake to have it in Canada or even the US. All of the attention and focus is on the Playoffs, and frankly

people there did not know what i was talking about because they did not know that they were even playing. There is no attention to the game. If we win, that is great, but if we do not, it is no big deal. I just do not know why the World Championships are not held maybe during September before the start of the NHL season, so more of the best players can possibly suit up.
A nice thought, but many of the best players probably still wouldn't play. And their NHL teams wouldn't want them to play. They don't want to risk injuries in competitive play right before the season starts.
Also it would just shift the scheduling problem away from the NHL to some of the European leagues, that are playing in September.
There seems to be no "perfect" solution for this dilemma.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:42 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

There was a lot of enthusiasm for the tournament in 2008, no reason to think this couldn't happend again. Of course, it should happen in a city without an NHL team so the possibilities are restricted. Maybe in a US state with a big college hockey tradition?

stv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:21 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreopancake View Post
Would it work in Toronto? Never had a World Championship, the centre of the hockey universe, and it is one of the most multicultural cities in the world. That would be great for making sure lesser known teams have some fans at the game. They also have like a million rinks. It would be incredible.
They had the CHL Top Prospects Game in the ACC a couple years ago and like 2,000 people showed up. It's a Leaf town, not a hockey town.

As for interest for the tournament in Canada, I don't want to tell people what they should or should not be interested in but looking at the last years team for example, I know I'd personally rather watch that team play than see NYR-WSH or PHX-NSH grind it out. Each to their own of course.

In the US I just don't see it working out all that well, other than the Olympics, International hockey does not generate any kind of interest.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:22 AM
Mr Writer

I prefer it stay in Europe, but here's a suggestion, how about trying it in Paris or London? Now what Canadian hockey player would refuse an invite when his wife and family get an all paid and all inclusive 3 weeks spring vacation in Paris?

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:27 AM
kp61c

vCash: 833
i hope not, the time difference will be brutal. it's enough for them to hold the half of all wjc already

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Macman

Sorry, I don't have a link but I believe Rene Fasel said recently that Canada can't even bid on a WC until something like 2020 or maybe even later in return for Canada hosting the WJCs every second year.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:41 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Sorry, I don't have a link but I believe Rene Fasel said recently that Canada can't even bid on a WC until something like 2020 or maybe even later in return for Canada hosting the WJCs every second year.
Sounds legit anyway. USA also has a bunch of Championships(juniors, women) locked up already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I prefer it stay in Europe, but here's a suggestion, how about trying it in Paris or London? Now what Canadian hockey player would refuse an invite when his wife and family get an all paid and all inclusive 3 weeks spring vacation in Paris?
Paris are bidding for 2017 along with Cologne(GER). They're up against a Copenhagen(DEN) and Riga(LAT).

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=5986b6dea5

Btw, a spring vacation in Prague, Bratislava, Helsinki or Stockholm isn't too bad either

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Sounds legit anyway. USA also has a bunch of Championships(juniors, women) locked up already.

Paris are bidding for 2017 along with Cologne(GER). They're up against a Copenhagen(DEN) and Riga(LAT).

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=5986b6dea5

Btw, a spring vacation in Prague, Bratislava, Helsinki or Stockholm isn't too bad either
For me I'd take a spring vacation in any of those places, but for Mrs. Hockey Player's Wife, whose got gobbs of cash and time to shop, Paris is the best destination and will most likely result in fewer players rejecting invites. At least that's my hope. I haven't been to a WHC since Moscow 07. and the only one I'll consider is Paris or London. All the other cities are retreads from a hockey perspective and provides me nothing of interest other than crappy hockey. Not trying to say there's nothing interesting there, but nothing new for me to see there. I've been to Bratislava twice, Prague at least 6 times. Helsinki (too many times to count) and Stockholm 4 times.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 04-29-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Paris are bidding for 2017 along with Cologne(GER).
Great, another joint bid. A chance for some unlucky nation to finish 13th in 2016 & get relegated

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Saskatoon/Regina is probably the only combination of Canadian cities that'd be able to host it.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
mattihp

Hopefully not. European countries are in more need of the money from the champs. Without them you just don't see the Jágrs, Kurris, Gaboriks, Ovechkins, Lidströms, etc.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:50 PM
boris4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Saskatoon/Regina is probably the only combination of Canadian cities that'd be able to host it.
Calgary/Edmonton would be able to host it this season.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:33 AM
pdd

I suggest Ann Arbor, MI.

Between A2Ice3 (USA Hockey NTDP, USHL) and Yost (University of Michigan, NCAA), there's more than enough ice.

If necessary, Compuware Arena (Plymouth Whalers, OHL) is only a short drive away as well.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreopancake View Post
Center of the NHL universe not hockey. It's a Leafs town not a hockey town.

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Can the US bid on a WC?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
I was curious to see what you North Americans think about the possibility of the World Championships coming back to North America. The tournament in Canada in 2008 had the sixth highest attendance per game in the history of the tournament with 8,834 per game? That's not bad.

The tournament is usually held in two arenas not too far from each other? Which options do you see in North America? The schedule of the AHL and NHL collides with the tournament, but it seems the other leagues are done by the time it's World Championships.
IIHF have a deal with Hockey Canada, USA Hockey, and the other nations that majority of the WHC will be played in Europe while majority of the WJC will be played in North America.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:26 PM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post

I was in Halifax for it in 08, and it was a huge hit. Much better atmosphere than Ottawa's world juniors too, because with the Euro fans in the streets at all times, the party atmosphere didn't end once the games did, it was a ten day long hockey fest from the moment you woke up til four in the morning. I can definitely see a non NHL city like London or Hamilton hosting it. Toronto would no doubt do great as well, but that won't happen with the Leafs and Marlies potentially still playing. And if I was you, I'd find a better sports bar. Your current place is a pretty pathetic excuse for one if they don't follow, or even know about the Worlds.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote