HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

New York Islanders And The Waiver Wire

Old
04-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
New York Islanders And The Waiver Wire

New York Islanders: Rewiring Through Waivers
http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...rough-waivers/

Enjoy Isles fans!

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:24 AM
24diving

Stopped reading after seeing that the author thinks Moulson was a waiver pickup, which he wasn't.

24diving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
New York Islanders: Rewiring Through Waivers
http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...rough-waivers/

Enjoy Isles fans!
Yea i started to look at this Article and stopped right away.
Matt moulson Was not a waiver wire pick up. He singed as a Free agent in July

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
fishstick

Moulson as a waiver wire pickup -> fail. But at least Snow got him outside of a trade and without throwing big money around.

Looking back I liked Snow's waiver wire strategy, because it also meant giving those players a second chance. And you have to give him credit because the mentioned pickups really helped the team.
But on the other hand, most of those were only possible due to being low in the standings. Else other teams might have picked those former first rounders first.

fishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

That site desperately needs a copy editor.

The English Major in me gets twitchy just reading the first two paragraphs.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Kevin27nyi
HoSanity

vCash: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecolitil2015jt View Post
Stopped reading after seeing that the author thinks Moulson was a waiver pickup, which he wasn't.
So many people think this, even Islander fans.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:48 AM
steveat

Speaking of waiver pickups...

who do you guys think will stay and who will not be with the team next year? My god, we are a deep team finally..especially at the blue line.

I honestly think Aucoin will find a way to stay on the team and he seems to be on the cusp of a breakout. He had some seriously good chances last night and I think he will start closing those deals in the next 2-3 games...perfect timing for the playoffs 8-)

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

I think people give Snow too much crap. He's done a great job with the little that he's had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post

who do you guys think will stay and who will not be with the team next year? My god, we are a deep team finally..especially at the blue line.

I honestly think Aucoin will find a way to stay on the team and he seems to be on the cusp of a breakout. He had some seriously good chances last night and I think he will start closing those deals in the next 2-3 games...perfect timing for the playoffs 8-)
I can't see Aucoin being on the team next year unless he signs for another 1 year deal. He's a placeholder for our guys down in the AHL.

Hickey will stay and so will Strait.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:47 AM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post

You're right about the depth. I count seventeen forwards and ten defensemen who could reasonably be expected on the team next year. IMO you have to, at least at the beginning of the year, reward those who played this year (don't upset the apple cart). This would include the waiver wire guys, but not Reasoner and perhaps not Boyes.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I think people give Snow too much crap. He's done a great job with the little that he's had.

I can't see Aucoin being on the team next year unless he signs for another 1 year deal. He's a placeholder for our guys down in the AHL.

I agree with you about Aucoin. He'll be in tough. He may start next season, but Strome and/or Nelson should be up before too long.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
They've definitely earned it.

Visnovsky, Hickey, Strait, Mac, Hamonic solidify 5 of the spots. Donovan, Ness, De Haan battle it out for 6th, a good veteran UFA as the spot/7th.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
They've definitely earned it.

Visnovsky, Hickey, Strait, Mac, Hamonic solidify 5 of the spots. Donovan, Ness, De Haan battle it out for 6th, a good veteran UFA as the spot/7th.
You're forgeting Carkner. I don't think he's going anywhere.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
You're forgeting Carkner. I don't think he's going anywhere.
He'd fill out that 7th spot probably...unless they get someone better.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 02:59 PM
redbull
yes yes yes

Quote:

Aucoin has played well, but has little to show for it. He's got horrible stats (last 32 games, 1 goal, 5 assists, -1), he's small, not physical at all, but is surprisingly effective on the ice.

If the team were losing, fans would be calling for his head (not unlike Reasoner).

Contrast that with Boyes who's out-scoring: Evander Kane, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Jordan Eberle - yet, is an utter disaster on the ice, especially on the top line.

Personally, I'd have NEITHER OF THEM back next year (unless they win the cup this year)

I think those are two spots where you can upgrade. Though I'm far more disappointed with Boyes as I am Aucoin.

Aucoin's spot goes to Brock Nelson or Ryan Strome
Boyes' spot goes to Ryan Strome or Nino Niederreiter

If not these young'ns, then I'd trade some of the youth and get a solid forward, in his prime, to take a top line spot. It's a win-win and a much easier decision when the team's winning.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Aucoin has played well, but has little to show for it. He's got horrible stats (last 32 games, 1 goal, 5 assists, -1), he's small, not physical at all, but is surprisingly effective on the ice.

If the team were losing, fans would be calling for his head (not unlike Reasoner).

Contrast that with Boyes who's out-scoring: Evander Kane, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Jordan Eberle - yet, is an utter disaster on the ice, especially on the top line.

Personally, I'd have NEITHER OF THEM back next year (unless they win the cup this year)

I think those are two spots where you can upgrade. Though I'm far more disappointed with Boyes as I am Aucoin.

Aucoin's spot goes to Brock Nelson or Ryan Strome
Boyes' spot goes to Ryan Strome or Nino Niederreiter

If not these young'ns, then I'd trade some of the youth and get a solid forward, in his prime, to take a top line spot. It's a win-win and a much easier decision when the team's winning.

You couldn't be more right about Aucoin, if we weren't winning he'd be hated on here.

As for the bolded thats also what I think happens if Garth doesn't get a stud player via trade or UFA. Which we all know is highly unlikely.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:49 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
You couldn't be more right about Aucoin, if we weren't winning he'd be hated on here.

As for the bolded thats also what I think happens if Garth doesn't get a stud player via trade or UFA. Which we all know is highly unlikely.
Aucoin tries, hes just that perennial AHL superstar who cant make the jump...like Alexandre Giroux. A lot of the time, he looks like a younger brother who took his older brothers stick and decided to play with his friends. Hes small and is outmatched in basically all situations, unless he finds himself alone and with space...then he isnt awful. That said, he is 10x the player boyes is in his own zone and on the backcheck.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Aucoin tries, hes just that perennial AHL superstar who cant make the jump...like Alexandre Giroux. A lot of the time, he looks like a younger brother who took his older brothers stick and decided to play with his friends. Hes small and is outmatched in basically all situations, unless he finds himself alone and with space...then he isnt awful. That said, he is 10x the player boyes is in his own zone and on the backcheck.

Agreed, which is the only reason he still has a spot. He's effective on the forecheck too. If it was up to me I would look to move Moulson too. He doesn't fit into the system the Isles are becoming successful playing.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:03 PM
redbull
yes yes yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Agreed, which is the only reason he still has a spot. He's effective on the forecheck too. If it was up to me I would look to move Moulson too. He doesn't fit into the system the Isles are becoming successful playing.
imagine two players who work as hard as Bailey-Okposo and McDonald-Martin playing with JT instead of those two floaters. Seriously.

Does anyone think Tavares would SUFFER from the tragic loss of Moulson?

I like Moulson, I would keep him in the right role, but if anyone thinks Moulson and Boyes aren't hurting this team, then they aren't watching. And although I'll eat crow soon, like when Moulson-JT connect on a huge PP goal in the second round of the playoffs, to win game seven.......I stand by my views.

(OK, I'd keep Moulson, but not Boyes and I'd ensure there's some balance on every freakin' line)!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
CodeE

I think Aucoin has played well enough to earn a 1-year extension. Plug him into the bottom 6, and if the kiddies take his spot away from him, waive him, and either he gets picked up (c'est la vie) or becomes a superstar 1st line center for the Sound Tigers.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:14 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
imagine two players who work as hard as Bailey-Okposo and McDonald-Martin playing with JT instead of those two floaters. Seriously.

Does anyone think Tavares would SUFFER from the tragic loss of Moulson?

I like Moulson, I would keep him in the right role, but if anyone thinks Moulson and Boyes aren't hurting this team, then they aren't watching. And although I'll eat crow soon, like when Moulson-JT connect on a huge PP goal in the second round of the playoffs, to win game seven.......I stand by my views.

(OK, I'd keep Moulson, but not Boyes and I'd ensure there's some balance on every freakin' line)!
Suffer, no, however, thats basically a given 30 goals that we would need to replace. Yes JT sets up Matty Moulson a lot, but he also snipes quite a few. Most of Boyes goals this season have been around the net, garbage goals...which count all the same, but i feel like those 10 goals could be from a few different guys.

Im all for losing Boyes. Let him walk. trade his rights, whatever. The right winger on that line needs to be a hustler. Id even be for trying CmC on that line to start the season. He scored 40+ goals in the AHL, and changed his game, ala Hickey, to get a spot in the bigs. If he can bring that hustle to the top line and maybe give JT a little space by being physical, who knows.

note: the above change is obviously for next season and would depend upon kids making/not making the team.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 04:35 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

Don't replace Moulson, replace Boyes. Be it Niederreiter or a trade but Moulson is not the problem.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:48 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
So many people think this, even Islander fans.
Not the one's who actually know what they're talking about...

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:33 AM
OlTimeHockey

You keep Moulson, but the other wing better be a two way guy who can hit.

And penciling in Nino is the same as drawing unicorns when discussing transportation. Nino sucks. He might get better, he'll likely reach Isbister quality hockey, but don't hold your breath. We can do much better.

And will be much more able to grab a UFA of quality now. We play to win from the GM down. {what batsh** nutjob Wang wingbat moonbeam ownertwit is intent on I dunno....maybe another Thomas signing?}.

If you asked me if I would choose between Nino and the agent and the severe lackings in his game {HE PUTS UP POINTS LIKE PAPINEAU!} I choose Boyes. But I don't have to....we can get choice 3 now. I have more faith in Snow now than ever after he left Nino and Dip**** off the playoff call ups. Snow looks like he wants to win....which he made hard to believe the first few years. Wang allowing DP to go to Siberia and Nino to not be called up because fans wanna see.....I even have a little more faith in Wanger.

The best guys are the best players. Nino is a stat creature who isn't a great player yet. Leave him alone and he'll sink or swim on his own. A team should get the best talent they can. A prospect should kick the **** out of a vet to take his spot away from him. Make the job mean something not just for the player but for the fan.

Time to raise your expectations.

Time to think like a fan of a real NHL team.

No more unicorns, please.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

regarding aucoin, he's here because he's a righthanded shot. period.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:29 AM
steveat

To Me...Aucoin is playing how we thought Reasoner would play for us. He's reliable and can score if needed...he's in a drought (for goals), but it's not like he isn't getting some real good chances. Then again...Bailey and Craposo have always had droughts and have found their game later...sometimes MUCH later on.

Anyway.....if my worst case scenario (next year) is to call up Aucoin to fill an injured player role...I'm good with that.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote