HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 04:44 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

vCash: 500
I think it'll end up being Washington, then Pittsburgh. That sounds familiar

Old
04-24-2013, 04:55 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Would be funny if we win both our games and end up finishing 5th and playing Boston. lol
haha it would, but i doubt that will happen. Boston and Mtl are tied in points right now, but Boston holds the tiebreaker. Boston also has another game in hand to be played from the game that was postponed the night of the terrorist attack

Old
04-24-2013, 05:09 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
I just want to avoid being the 8th seed, Boston wouldn't be great either but I don't want the Pens at all

Old
04-24-2013, 05:24 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Avs fan coming in peace. Congrats guys. I love that you guys are in. I will be cheering for you in the East.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Avs fan coming in peace. Congrats guys. I love that you guys are in. I will be cheering for you in the East.
Thanks much. Can we borrow Parenteau for a few weeks? I miss the little guy.

Good luck to your boys next year. Always was a classy team.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Islesfaninjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
But it does bother me that Charles Wang will in any way, shape or form benefit from us making the playoffs. The excitement this generates might actually make him want to keep the team and not sell in a year or two as has been rumored.

1. He's lost millions on this team, I think it's fair if he can make some of it back.
2. Have you realized that it took him all these years, but he actually learned how to be a good owner. Sure he made mistakes before, but he has certainly learned.

3. You sure you want to go thru another ownership change, when that new person will not know what is going on here, and probably fire everyone (as has happened before)
4. Chares Wang has made many mistakes, like trusting milbum. But he actually saved this franchise, by giving us fans a free gift. He has lost millions upon millions and you hate him? How many other owners in the nhl would keep a team this long that has lost this much money?

Old
04-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Islesfaninjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
I just want to avoid being the 8th seed, Boston wouldn't be great either but I don't want the Pens at all
Do you have any idea how valuable the experience would be if they played the penguins in the playoffs here, win or lose?

Besides, if we hope to win anything, we are going to have to learn how to beat pit and some other teams.

I would love to see them compete and learn from playing pit

Old
04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfaninjax View Post
Do you have any idea how valuable the experience would be if they played the penguins in the playoffs here, win or lose?

Besides, if we hope to win anything, we are going to have to learn how to beat pit and some other teams.

I would love to see them compete and learn from playing pit
But the whole point of being in the playoffs is to win the whole damn thing. You think the players are looking at the playoffs as a learning experience? Hell no, they want to win. And by not playing Pitt, they have a better chance of winning.

Learning is a by-product of playing in these type of games, not the main focus of them. They're gonna learn no matter who they face in the first round. And the more they play, the more they'll learn.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:36 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfaninjax View Post

1. He's lost millions on this team, I think it's fair if he can make some of it back.
2. Have you realized that it took him all these years, but he actually learned how to be a good owner. Sure he made mistakes before, but he has certainly learned.

3. You sure you want to go thru another ownership change, when that new person will not know what is going on here, and probably fire everyone (as has happened before)
4. Chares Wang has made many mistakes, like trusting milbum. But he actually saved this franchise, by giving us fans a free gift. He has lost millions upon millions and you hate him? How many other owners in the nhl would keep a team this long that has lost this much money?
Do you see him adding any payroll in the off season, now that he sees the team on the rise? Could only help add value if there's an impending sale (please sell to Prokhorov - i'd think there must be some interest from a multi billionaire for a Barclay's duo a la MSG?)

And we can all agree on 3 areas that need help...

Top line RW. I don't think we have that player for next year in the system.
Backup G. Major need. Don't need to spend too much. Biron was perfect. Why'd we lose him? $
A punishing D. No one fears anyone near the crease currently.

We have lots of chips for a trade but I'd like to see at least one impact signing.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Chardo

Fun fact: Since 1988, Islanders have now made the playoffs 9 times. They've had 9 different starting goalies for game 1.

Old
04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

2-1 tampa over Tor in 2nd....

heres a clip of boomer n carton this morning....carton sporting his martin jersey and acting like he cares about the isles haha

http://www.msg.com/shows/boomer-and-carton.html

Old
04-24-2013, 07:41 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Caps fan here. I wouldn't look too much into the good/bad matchup thing. In 2011 the rangers out scored the caps 13-0 their last 2 meetings and the caps won the series easily in 5. Last year nobody thought we had a chance vs Boston but we ended up winning too. The games will be alot tighter which is good (but bad for your health ) and almost every game will be a winnable game.

If you guys do get Boston, they're at their best when it's a beat down. I don't think you guys are all to physical of a team. If you guys can lull them to sleep they'll look like they're playing a meaningless last game of the regular season (at least that was the word on them last year and it seemed to work).

I'm hoping my caps don't get you guys because I really do wanna root for you guys. Even if we do get each other it'll be cool to watch my team play a playoff game at a packed Nassau coliseum. Btw do you guys know if you're doing a white out or anything? Or getting towels?

So good luck! And after every playoff win you feel like your team just won the cup, but after every loss you feel like the worlds ending. It's the most exciting time of the year and you'll probably have some pretty violent mood swings and be a nervous wreck. Enjoy it!

Old
04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
2-1 tampa over Tor in 2nd....

heres a clip of boomer n carton this morning....carton sporting his martin jersey and acting like he cares about the isles haha

http://www.msg.com/shows/boomer-and-carton.html
People can get into hockey real quick. He played in that charity game a week ago. We'll see if it sticks, but I've seen people get hooked on hockey over a very short amount of time.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:24 PM
isleskovalchuk

4-2 tampa... we go into tomorrow 1 pt out of 5th... wow who would have thought!

Old
04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Tampa doing us a solid tonight

Old
04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleskovalchuk View Post
4-2 tampa... we go into tomorrow 1 pt out of 5th... wow who would have thought!
Still need Toronto to lose 1 more game in regulation to overtake them(assuming we win our last 2 games)

Old
04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Islanders1932

HAt Trick for ST. LOUIS! 5-2 Lightning

Old
04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Tampa doing us a solid tonight
TML are just not a good team. I cannot fathom how they got as many points as they do. They've pretty much sucked everytime I watched them.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
TML are just not a good team. I cannot fathom how they got as many points as they do. They've pretty much sucked everytime I watched them.
This shortended season is wrecking havoc. I would not be surprised if at least Toronto, Montreal did not make it in a full season and probably us as well. I think with 82 games the Rangers/Flyers would have ended up much higher.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
Ziggy16

The Only ways for the Isles to steal the 5th seed from toronto:

Toronto goes 1-1 (Fla, Habs) -- NO OT PT ALLOWED -- REG GAMES ONLY
and Isles Go 2-0 = Isles 5th Seed

Toronto goes 0-2 and Isles Go 1-1 = Isles 5th Seed

NO TIES IN PTS CAN OCCUR - TOR has that tiebreak already won

The Toronto/Habs game on Saturday will be on the nhl network in the US (in the event that game determines who gets the 5 and 6 seeds)

Old
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
Toronto goes 1-1 (Fla, Habs) -- NO OT PT ALLWOED
and Isles Go 2-0 = Isles 5th Seed
We still need Ottawa to lose 1 game at least(even in O/T) or win 1 game in a S/O to finish 5th in that scenario

Old
04-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Ziggy16

ottawa plays the caps, flyers and bruins.. its not like a certain other teams schedule who has nothing but weak division rivals to feed off of...

Old
04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Still need Toronto to lose 1 more game in regulation to overtake them(assuming we win our last 2 games)
how big was not getting the second point last night given that 5th is within reach?

Old
04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
Bert Marshall days

Toronto blows. We're getting 5th place and Montreal in playoffs baby. Let's hope canada's refs don't screw us yet again.

Old
04-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Ziggy16

then we need to buy up all the playoff tix so the habs fans cant bus their loud butts here to influence the officials...

Closed Thread