HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Nova Scotia Islander

vCash: 500
The only way to play against the pens is play rough and hit everything that moves. Philly proved it last year and teams that play them rough tend to take they fast skating passing and scoring away from the pens. Crosby hates to get hit, Malkin as well you get both of them off their game and both of them start crying to the refs and start taking stupid penalties. YOU HAVE TO PLAY PHYSICAL AGAINST THEM and dont let up. Cappy should be matching Martin up against Crosby and tell him not to bother trying to score but shadow Crosby, everytime he touches the puck he has to know he is going to get hit.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
I recall Reasoner had breakaways twice this year with only him and the goalie and both times, he missed the frickin net and goalie. He is useless. Our productive 4th line helped us in this playoff run. Now you want to anchor it down with someone who can't score to save his life. C'mon. Use some common sense.
The 4th line isnt out there to be an offensive threat. Rather to give the other three lines a rest and to grind the other teams lines down. I would have all my big hitters dressed for the 4th line and their sol purpose is to hit everything that moves. The pens are a bunch or cry babies when they get man handled..

Old
04-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Nova Scotia Islander

One more thing and i will take heat for putting this out there is Cappy should dress Boulton. Before you all go ape **** here is my reason. If cappy dresses Boulton it forces the pens to dress Macintyre. Mac sucks plain and simple and is only there to protect Crosby. If Mac is dressed one of the better players has to sit out. If they decide not to dress Mac then Boulton Martin and Cizikas have free rain and can put the Pens threw the boards shift after shift. This may seem like a bad idea but if the pens are getting hit none stop it wears them down especially in a 7 game series. The longer this series goes the better it is for the Isles.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotia Islander View Post
One more thing and i will take heat for putting this out there is Cappy should dress Boulton. Before you all go ape **** here is my reason. If cappy dresses Boulton it forces the pens to dress Macintyre. Mac sucks plain and simple and is only there to protect Crosby. If Mac is dressed one of the better players has to sit out. If they decide not to dress Mac then Boulton Martin and Cizikas have free rain and can put the Pens threw the boards shift after shift. This may seem like a bad idea but if the pens are getting hit none stop it wears them down especially in a 7 game series. The longer this series goes the better it is for the Isles.

You really think Pittsburgh is going to make roster and lineup decisions based on who the Isles dress? Who's dictating things here?

Old
04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

the dimwits over on barstool are saying game 3 will be the first nationally televised islander game since game 1 of the 1993 eastern semifinals series against the Canadiens. Any truth to this?

Old
04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
goalsniper91

I agree, to have a fighting chance they have to hit anything that moves. Look back to the game a few years ago where we beat the crap of them, not only did we fight them, we hit them...hard and often.

Look no further than the last time the Isles played the Jets. They threw 35+ hits on us and completely took us out of the game. We were lucky to get to overtime.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
You really think Pittsburgh is going to make roster and lineup decisions based on who the Isles dress? Who's dictating things here?
Actually yes, if you were the coach what would you do. We have seen when we dress our soft line up and teams push us around. Pens have know one to handle Martin Boulton and Cizikas. If they dont dress Mac what message does that send to your team. Sorry guys just keep your heads up. Also in playoffs when a score gets out of hand it gets very rough guys start taking runs at people. So say the isles get up a few goals Pens will start running out guys none stop to soften them up for next game and send a message. Playoffs are a total different type of style hockey.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Nova Scotia Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsniper91 View Post
I agree, to have a fighting chance they have to hit anything that moves. Look back to the game a few years ago where we beat the crap of them, not only did we fight them, we hit them...hard and often.

Look no further than the last time the Isles played the Jets. They threw 35+ hits on us and completely took us out of the game. We were lucky to get to overtime.
Agree look what Phillly did to them last year even Crosby was in the box most of the playoffs. You want the pens to get off their game and play like they did against philly last year. One game was 10-5 philly. Pens arent hard to play against. You cant skate shoot or pass with them they have to much talent. But one thing talent hates is getting hit over and over again. Everytime someone touches the puck we have to finish our hits.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:28 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
The only way to play against the pens is play rough and hit everything that moves. Philly proved it last year and teams that play them rough tend to take they fast skating passing and scoring away from the pens. Crosby hates to get hit, Malkin as well you get both of them off their game and both of them start crying to the refs and start taking stupid penalties. YOU HAVE TO PLAY PHYSICAL AGAINST THEM and dont let up. Cappy should be matching Martin up against Crosby and tell him not to bother trying to score but shadow Crosby, everytime he touches the puck he has to know he is going to get hit.
and Reasoner provides this how???? He is not physical. He is not skilled, he does not score. He can win a face off, so can Casey. There are others who provide more versatility than Reasoner. At least I know what Boulton is out there for. Reasoner I have NO CLUE. He is garbage on skates.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Actually yes, if you were the coach what would you do. We have seen when we dress our soft line up and teams push us around. Pens have know one to handle Martin Boulton and Cizikas. If they dont dress Mac what message does that send to your team. Sorry guys just keep your heads up. Also in playoffs when a score gets out of hand it gets very rough guys start taking runs at people. So say the isles get up a few goals Pens will start running out guys none stop to soften them up for next game and send a message. Playoffs are a total different type of style hockey.
Just want to put an end to this, there is literally a 0% chance Mac even comes to close to being thought about being in the line-up.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Agree look what Phillly did to them last year even Crosby was in the box most of the playoffs. You want the pens to get off their game and play like they did against philly last year. One game was 10-5 philly. Pens arent hard to play against. You cant skate shoot or pass with them they have to much talent. But one thing talent hates is getting hit over and over again. Everytime someone touches the puck we have to finish our hits.
This.

1: Finish ALL hits.

2: Devils and Blues be damned, turn the neutral ice into quicksand made of bodies and deny them space to skate.

3: Tire them out by making them chase the puck at every opportunity, and throw Grabner out when they start panting.

Classic rope-a-dope.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:32 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
the dimwits over on barstool are saying game 3 will be the first nationally televised islander game since game 1 of the 1993 eastern semifinals series against the Canadiens. Any truth to this?
Those dimwits are could not be more WRONG. I remember an ABC game that was nationally televised against TBL. The Isles won that game behind a strong effort by Trent Hunter, what was that 2004??? It was national cuz that was the first two months after I bought my "shoebox" condo down here in Northern VA. Keep disrespecting us NATIONAL MEDIA!!!

Old
04-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIsles View Post
Those dimwits are could not be more WRONG. I remember an ABC game that was nationally televised against TBL. The Isles won that game behind a strong effort by Trent Hunter, what was that 2004??? It was national cuz that was the first two months after I bought my "shoebox" condo down here in Northern VA. Keep disrespecting us NATIONAL MEDIA!!!
Umm... what about that Boston game on NBC, or the Pens game earlier THIS YEAR...?

Or is this strictly playoff national....

Old
04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Chardo

Hitting everything that moves (which is required) is about more than Boulton and Martin. Isles must have all 18 ready to lower the boom early and often. Even JT.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
YearlyLottery

I beLIeve the Isles have a chance in this series. But a huge question is are they ready for playoff hockey?

The first line is a huge question mark. Now what do we need from our first line to succeed? We need them to forecheck and help JT out. Will this happen? I'll put this at a 90% chance it doesn't happen.

Second line isn't as much as a question mark. I think this line is going to be our best line come playoff time. They play smart hockey and play solid defense as well as offense. What do we need from our second line to succeed? Solid defense and some scoring added in
Our chances of this? 85%

Now we have the third line. We need this line to ge some good chances. And who else is better for scoring chances than Michael Grabner. CMac has scored some hugeeeee goals for this team before. I think this is the line that might decide a game or two. All this line needs to do is have solid defense and put some in the net.

Chances of this? 70% the solid D is not the problem, but Grabner must score on breakaways and Cmac needs a good solid series

Now the fourth line. This could be a momentum changing line. A big hit here and a big goal there would be huge. But that's all you need. No goals against and some big hits and fights. Chances of this happening?
With cizikas 95%
With reasoner 75%

The PP needs to start shooting the puck. Boyes should be taken off the first unit. Streit should be on the second unit while Vis on the first. When we get a PP you must convert.

Chances of the PP doing well? 50% look back to last time we played Pitt. We needed to convert on the major ATLEAST once.

The PK needs to do well too. I would hate to see Us take penalties but if we do we have to stop them. I haven't seen Pitt on a lot of powerplays but they have some solid players.

The D pairings are next

Hamonic-AMac
They need to be a shutdown pairing. End of story.
Chances? 40% I'm sorry I don't see them shutting down Pitt. They did do well last time, but this time it's the playoffs.
Streit-Strait
They need some offense and be able to play solid D guile also not getting pushed around. Streit scares me on the defensive end.
Chances of this? 60%

And last but not least the Hickey-Vis paring
They have been such a smart paring but they can't get pushed around. Play solid D and contribute offensively
Chances? 30% I see this defensive pairing getting physically punished

And the goaltending. Nabby must be the best goalie out there. Punish MAF like the Flyers did last year.
Chances? 50%

Old
04-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Isles Chick 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Katie Strang at ESPN.com has the Penguins in 6
Let me guess, she has the rags in 4 too

Old
04-29-2013, 03:55 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Chick 89 View Post
Let me guess, she has the rags in 4 too
She has Caps in 7. She said the other day she wasn't very confident in them.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Satan'sIsland81

As I sit here at work today, I still cant believe we find ourselves in this position of having to face pittsburgh. A week ago at this time, with the opponents we had coming up in our final three games, I thought for sure we would be facing the Habs, Caps or at worst the Bruins.

It really is kind of even more depressing, now seeing the Habs (who I think are the weakest of the top 4 teams) sitting in the 2 hole and we could have been facing them with just one damn win in those final three games.

I want to believe we have a shot against the Pens, but the reality is we could likely play a near perfect series and still lose in 6 or 7 games. This has all the feelings of a series where you have to be happy/consider it a success if we can extend it past 5 games, not realistically hope to move on.

Hope I am wrong. And also hope the team uses this as a learning experience for future years that settling for the 8th seed is not the goal and the best way to make a playoff run.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:37 PM
wingnutks

I agree with hit anything that moves, and not just Martin... everyone has to get into it. Every player on the Pitt has to know they are going to get hit all the time, hit by CC, Martin, JT, Boye, Aucoin....everyone. We need Kasparaitus and Ferraro.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:41 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

Im not thrilled to be facing the Penguins either, but it is what it is.

Trade Jagr, Francis, Stevens, Mario et al with "Cindy," Malkin, Letang, Cooke et al...

Same thing...

We are the underdogs. And I am sure everyone is saying we have zero chance. But that is what was said in 1993 and we beat 'em.

Im not saying it will be easy. But with some tough as nails hitting like Pilon vs Stevens... we could see Martin vs. Cooke, or Carkner vs Crosby... bottom line... you play the games out, and see what happens. No one thought the Pens would fold against the Flyers last year, but Philly should us the way... you have to get into the Pen's heads.

No quitting. No giving up. We fight every shift, and hit with every ounce of strength we have... make them feel it and make them worry about getting hit so hard it hurts.

Lets Go Isles!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRsrjIVkfL8

Old
04-29-2013, 04:57 PM
bigd

I agree with the hitting part. We have to come out playing physical and finishing our checks. But the games I've watched this season where we have struggled is when we make those lazy passes that get picked off or we get a few of our skilled forwards trying to skate through everyone and losing the puck. The key, IMO, is puck management and puck control. Make the high percentage play. If that means dumping it in and forchecking like madmen then that's what you do. I don't want to see these behind the back passes at the blueline. We have to make them play 200 feet everytime they get the puck. The Pens have a quick transition game. You turn the puck over a center ice and they will make you pay everytime.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Chardo

I have to pick up my son at MacArthur airport after game 2 on Friday. Where is a nice restaurant in the area to eat and watch the game? Figure something within 10-15 mins away.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
I want to see Martin start off with Tavares and Moulson. Just let him loose and tell him to hit every one. Wouldn't mind seeing him catch Crosby or Malkin with their heads down.

I'd love to see them just muck up the neutral zone. Play a grind it out, staggered flow game. They try to run and gun with the Pens it's going to end very badly.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
Game 4 of the Leafs series was on ESPN2, so I think that's false

Old
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Potvinscup5

I agree put Martin on line 1...

Reasoner? I thought he was done! Unless they are putting him as a face off guy the guy can't score!

Closed Thread