HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | #BeLIeve

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 06:24 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

vCash: 500
It's seeing so many cocky Pens fans jeer and laugh about this series being an easy sweep that ticks me off......they *want* this to sting us.....but not as bad as I'd cheer seeing Colin MacDonald give a few Pens a 720-degree flip.....not as bad as I want to stifle every cocky comment, every stuck-up missive.......there is no team that I want to see the Islanders come of age and upset as bad as Pittsburgh......and there's no series in which defeat would kick my teeth in so horribly, either....

After this series, I am either officially going to have to disown a few hometown friends on Facebook....either they'll keep running their yaps like most Penguin fans do, or the Isles will give them such a game-7 bloody nose that they'll never talk to me again.

Whatever - they're Pens fans anyway.....(slightly kidding)

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 04-29-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
wingnutks

All I know is my wife will be wearing my Home(at that time Away), Ray Ferraro jersey to the games. Got the jersey in 1989 and my bro just found it for me today.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Noreaster96

Can't wait for this series... Have tix to game 4 and the coli is gonna be ROCKING : )

Old
04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Poliz24

Lets Go ISLANDERS!!!!!

Old
04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
albator71

Hi guys, just want to say that i will be pulling your you guys, it would be so awesome if the Pens would get knocked out in the first round. GO ISLANDERS!!!

Old
04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Islanderfan72

Well the Islanders wont have any pressure. If they can steal a game in Pittsburgh they can put some pressure on the Penguins.

We played them really well the 1st time this year, then not so well the 2nd time. If I remember correctly the last 3 times we played them we kept it close but lost late.

Although I didn't want to play Pittsburgh first, making the playoffs and getting postseason experience is awesome for this team.

I just hope its an entertaining series.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
the dimwits over on barstool are saying game 3 will be the first nationally televised islander game since game 1 of the 1993 eastern semifinals series against the Canadiens. Any truth to this?
I don't know but I think they got that info from Hornick. We've gotten on national networks but those might have been regional games.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:53 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Even if the penguins do win the series, I still hope they don't win the cup. I like having one more championship under my belt than the penguins

Old
04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
the dimwits over on barstool are saying game 3 will be the first nationally televised islander game since game 1 of the 1993 eastern semifinals series against the Canadiens. Any truth to this?
I think they're right. I'm pretty sure they're referring to a game on an NBC/ABC type national network that is broadcast nationwide on basic cable. We've had plenty of games on Versus and NBC Sports recently but none of the showcase NBC Sunday afternoon games or anything like that.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
bstash19

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan186 View Post
Game 4 of the Leafs series was on ESPN2, so I think that's false
although espn2 is available nationally, its not a broadcast channel (ie available over air, and part of every basic cable package like cbs, nbc...etc)

Old
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
I think they're right. I'm pretty sure they're referring to a game on an NBC/ABC type national network that is broadcast nationwide on basic cable. We've had plenty of games on Versus and NBC Sports recently but none of the showcase NBC Sunday afternoon games or anything like that.
As someone mentioned the Islanders/Lightning playoffs games were on ABC.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

As much as I hate to say this, I really do think there is one way we can take over this series and win it: goon it up. The Pens-Flyers series last year and Fight Night at the Coliseum two years ago are the clear examples. The Pens' achilles heal is tough, in-your-face, brutally physical and gritty hockey. When executed properly, they can't handle it.

It's not just post-whistle scrums and fights that are going to do this. It's every aspect of the game. Forechecking needs to be vicious. When the puck is in the offensive zone, someone needs to get RIGHT up in Fleury's face and then battle it out to maintain that position. On the other side of the ice, they should be going after guys who try to make their way into the slot so tenaciously that by the second and third games they are cringing at the thought of it. Nabakov should get aggressive and throw shoves and jabs at anyone who tries to get in his wheelhouse and he should get a lot of help from the defensemen in clearing them out.

Someone needs to step up and be what Scott Hartnell is for the Flyers. Someone who gets under their skin and drives them nuts. Makes them take penalties. Make them get mad and make stupid plays. Matt Martin already does this to an extent. But I think two other guys who can step up and do this are Okposo and Cizikas.

Most importantly and obviously, EVERY check needs to be finished. EVERY SINGLE one. Take no prisoners mentality. This one is on Cappy. He needs to make the message clear that this is expected from every single player on the roster. If someone isn't taking the body every shift, he should be in his face the second he gets back to the bench giving him an earful about it.

My best analogy for this series is a schoolyard fight. The Pens are a big, husky kid and we're the skinny little squirt of the playground. Covering up and trying to absorb the blows might work for a little bit, but in the end we're gonna get knocked out. But going right at them swinging like a madman will catch them off guard, and even though they'll still get some damaging shots of their own in, we might just get those couple of punches that stun them enough to deliver the knockout blow.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
NYI JT91

I sure It's been said a 100 times, but I am not happy with this Noon start time crap...No time to tailgate. So weak. Thank's NHL for screwing that up... Haven't made the playoffs in 6 years and now we can hardly enjoy the first game. Show up, watch, leave...sounds awesome. We want Tailagte!

Old
04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
I sure It's been said a 100 times, but I am not happy with this Noon start time crap...No time to tailgate. So weak. Thank's NHL for screwing that up... Haven't made the playoffs in 6 years and now we can hardly enjoy the first game. Show up, watch, leave...sounds awesome. We want Tailagte!
Set your alarm and get there early. What do you do for 1pm football games?

Old
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
As much as I hate to say this, I really do think there is one way we can take over this series and win it: goon it up. The Pens-Flyers series last year and Fight Night at the Coliseum two years ago are the clear examples. The Pens' achilles heal is tough, in-your-face, brutally physical and gritty hockey. When executed properly, they can't handle it.

It's not just post-whistle scrums and fights that are going to do this. It's every aspect of the game. Forechecking needs to be vicious. When the puck is in the offensive zone, someone needs to get RIGHT up in Fleury's face and then battle it out to maintain that position. On the other side of the ice, they should be going after guys who try to make their way into the slot so tenaciously that by the second and third games they are cringing at the thought of it. Nabakov should get aggressive and throw shoves and jabs at anyone who tries to get in his wheelhouse and he should get a lot of help from the defensemen in clearing them out.

Someone needs to step up and be what Scott Hartnell is for the Flyers. Someone who gets under their skin and drives them nuts. Makes them take penalties. Make them get mad and make stupid plays. Matt Martin already does this to an extent. But I think two other guys who can step up and do this are Okposo and Cizikas.

Most importantly and obviously, EVERY check needs to be finished. EVERY SINGLE one. Take no prisoners mentality. This one is on Cappy. He needs to make the message clear that this is expected from every single player on the roster. If someone isn't taking the body every shift, he should be in his face the second he gets back to the bench giving him an earful about it.

My best analogy for this series is a schoolyard fight. The Pens are a big, husky kid and we're the skinny little squirt of the playground. Covering up and trying to absorb the blows might work for a little bit, but in the end we're gonna get knocked out. But going right at them swinging like a madman will catch them off guard, and even though they'll still get some damaging shots of their own in, we might just get those couple of punches that stun them enough to deliver the knockout blow.

This. Forget butchs keys to winning, heres mine...

1 physical ( throw them off there game and get under their skin - make them take penalties )
2 No turnovers in the Neutral zone
3 keep Pittsburgh to the outside
4 Tight man on man coverage
5 Crowd Fleury all the time. Get in his living room and don't leave. Get under his skin and get rebounds.
6 last but not least.. This one is kind of a given though, do not get stuck watching them. Win the little battles, finish hits (make them afraid to make the perfect play and wait, go after them and make them rush plays) will result in turnovers etc...

If they do all these things and nabby is nabby and JT steps up along with 2nd line staying hot we can force 7. I wish grabner would turn in to the beast he can be.

Last edited by NYI JT91: 04-29-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
NYI JT91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
Set your alarm and get there early. What do you do for 1pm football games?

Well apparently there is some sort of Marathon going on and will make it hard to get there. Maybe if I wake up real early my body will be ready for beer by 10 or 11. Used to be able to drink at any time in the Army, but now my life is much more relaxed and don't feel the need to drink before noon ha but I will this day. Football games I usually start drinking when the game starts. Even just 1pm would've been a lot better. 3 would've been ideal if a night game was not possible. But since we are playing Pittsburgh NHL needs to make sure every game is on national television, so that's probably what screwed us. Oh well...

Old
04-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Last playoff game was vs TBL when DP had a shutout. I remember because I saw it on a hospital room TV.

Last reg season national TV game was vs NYR who won in OT a few years ago I think.

National TV being NBC or ABC not cable channels.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI JT91 View Post
Well apparently there is some sort of Marathon going on and will make it hard to get there. Maybe if I wake up real early my body will be ready for beer by 10 or 11. Used to be able to drink at any time in the Army, but now my life is much more relaxed and don't feel the need to drink before noon ha but I will this day. Football games I usually start drinking when the game starts. Even just 1pm would've been a lot better. 3 would've been ideal if a night game was not possible. But since we are playing Pittsburgh NHL needs to make sure every game is on national television, so that's probably what screwed us. Oh well...
Don't you LIers have any party soul? For St. Patrick's day the cops, firemen, others and yours truly start drinking at 7 AM for the parade that starts at 11. And I'm older than dirt.

It's a rare playoff game at noon - embrace it.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:15 PM
doublechili

Not to mention, I recall being at a certain afternoon game at NVMC when Bobby Nystrom scored an OT goal to win the Cup....

Old
04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Knoxville555

One pens fan wrote on NHL.com comments section:

My predictiion:
If Crosby plays= Pens in 4
If Crosby is still out injured= Pens in 4

lol i thought it was funny.

My opinion is whoever takes it will do so in 6 games.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:18 PM
doublechili

Some fans are rooting for the Isles b/c they're underdogs, but I get the sense there are plenty of fans of other playoff teams that would like to see the Isles beat the Pens to clear the road for them. But if the Isles can beat the Pens, who's left in the East to be scared of? In other words, let's beat the Pens to clear the road for US.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
cjdv16

Lots of arrogant Pens fans out there. Lots.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:27 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Last playoff game was vs TBL when DP had a shutout. I remember because I saw it on a hospital room TV.

Last reg season national TV game was vs NYR who won in OT a few years ago I think.

National TV being NBC or ABC not cable channels.

Yeah but were those nationally televised games or were they up against other games for different regions.

I too remember the TBL game. 2-zip.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
KyleBailey12

Just saying Tim Cowlishaw on ESPN's Around The Horn used his facetime, (for those unfamiliar it's a 30 second segment at the end of the show) to say that the Islanders are back in after six years and they will upset the Pens. It was pretty cool to get a shoutout from a guy on ESPN that writes for Dallas nonetheless.

You can listen to the podcast here, http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9225413 he starts his facetime at the 20 minutes 38 second mark.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Lots of arrogant Pens fans out there. Lots.

Pens fans are the worst, I hate everything about them. It would be that much better if we pull off the upset too.

Closed Thread