HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Powerplay

Old
04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Drivebytrucker

vCash: 500
Our Powerplay

Was horrendous all year.....

Let's face it, it hasn't been very good for a long time now. I thought Semin would be a serious lift to our first unit, but it needs more help than that.

What do we need to do to fix it?

And bringing Ray Whitney back isn't an option

Drivebytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

It's actually looked a lot better lately, unsurprisingly as soon as we grabbed MAB.

As terrible as he is defensively, he's exactly what our PP has needed all year: a real threat to shoot from the point. That threat alone opens up the play down low.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Our hopes lie almost completely in a 20 year old with 4 games of NHL experience.

04-25-2013, 02:32 PM
CanesAvs16

... does not exist?

CanesAvs16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:35 PM
NotOpie
HeDidn'tReallyDoThat

Send a message via Yahoo to NotOpie
...I see what you did there....at first I thought Ryan Murphy was a mere figment of my imagination...but you're quicker than that.

NotOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:41 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
Our hopes lie almost completely in a 20 year old with 4 games of NHL experience.
Oh come on. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, the fortunes of an entire galaxy lay on the back of a 19 year old with 0 games of Jedi experience. And we saw how well that worked out. Right?

04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Boom Boom Anton

You mean Ryan Murphy is going to lose his hand and almost get it on with his sister?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
You mean Ryan Murphy is going to lose his hand and almost get it on with his sister?
Don't bring Marty into this.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:46 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Whomever does the first GDT of next season must do a Star Wars theme. It has been declared.

Anyway, fixing our PP...I honestly don't know. It's looked better recently. I almost think it's something that really does need a full-blown training camp to address.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Don't bring Marty into this.
Any of y'all remember the Maniscalco call-in during the 09 playoffs against the Devils?

(drunken slur) "Let me tell you a little somethin' about Marty 'Slept with his Wife's Sister' Brod-"

"Next caller please!"

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:10 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

... Needs to be declined.

HisIceness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesAvs16 View Post
... does not exist?
like Leon Phelps' car?

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I think there are a few issues. Biggest issue IMO is no legitimate PP QB with a threat of a shot or pass at the point. MAB has helped this since he's been on board. The 2nd issue IMO is not enough of a net presence. Too many perimeter shots with no traffic.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:43 AM
sheriff bart

Maybe the Emperor will find a puck moving d-man that can, you know, move the puck. In my mental lineup for next year, I think they are going to count on Murphy for that, and it's a lot of pressure on a young Padawan. I think one of the things that has hurt this team is the lack of a wisened old Jedi master that can direct the younglings in the ways of The Force.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff bart View Post
Maybe the Emperor will find a puck moving d-man that can, you know, move the puck. In my mental lineup for next year, I think they are going to count on Murphy for that, and it's a lot of pressure on a young Padawan. I think one of the things that has hurt this team is the lack of a wisened old Jedi master that can direct the younglings in the ways of The Force.
Yeah, that's my concern also re: Murphy. Pitkanen can move the puck, but half the time it seems like nobody else on the PP (other than Jokinen who is no longer here) have any idea what he's going to do as he "circles the wagons" multiple times.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:50 AM
sheriff bart

The Canes puck movement on the PP is horrendous. Way too slow and because of that, the PK on the other side always has time to get back into the shooting lanes.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Roboturner913

I like MAB there, if he's willing to sign another two-way there's no reason not to keep him, at least until Murphy has a handle on things.

Plus he should be rewarded for getting Roloson hurt, the Canes wouldn't have won the Cup otherwise or so I'm told.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:55 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff bart View Post
The Canes puck movement on the PP is horrendous. Way too slow and because of that, the PK on the other side always has time to get back into the shooting lanes.
The Canes pass the puck as though they have no idea where anyone else is until they make visual contact. And it's not just one guy, but pretty much everyone other than perhaps Semin and Pitkanen. I've seen junior teams with better cohesion.

Maybe it comes down to Muller having a half season last year, then being banned from player contact during the lockout, then having 2 weeks to get the team ready for game play, then losing all his defensemen. That's a perfect storm of awful circumstances for setting up an effective PP system. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

But if we're still sitting here in December watching players size up their options for 3 seconds before telegraphing a pass directly to an opponent, heads need to roll. It's just not acceptable at the NHL level for an entire team to apparently not understand the system they're planing.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
The Canes pass the puck as though they have no idea where anyone else is until they make visual contact. And it's not just one guy, but pretty much everyone other than perhaps Semin and Pitkanen. I've seen junior teams with better cohesion.

Maybe it comes down to Muller having a half season last year, then being banned from player contact during the lockout, then having 2 weeks to get the team ready for game play, then losing all his defensemen. That's a perfect storm of awful circumstances for setting up an effective PP system. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

But if we're still sitting here in December watching players size up their options for 3 seconds before telegraphing a pass directly to an opponent, heads need to roll. It's just not acceptable at the NHL level for an entire team to apparently not understand the system they're planing.
That's what the Bruins have been since Ray Bourque left. I wonder what the correlation is.....

Lucky for them they are real good at everything else.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote