HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Gilbert Perreault vs Darryl Sittler

Old
04-25-2013, 02:27 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
No really true Leaf fan did like Sittler LBD. We just didnt like Sittler. Why? Goofball. Idiot. If your a Leafs fan do you like Phaneuf? Same thing. Beyond apparent the Dudes a Moron. Zero characte.. Anyhoo.. thats what it is. Yer old Dad?. He's right. Ya reckon he'd like ta have a drink or 63 with me?
Probably. Sounds like you two would have a great time reminiscing about Trawna. He's 82 though. I doubt if he could keep up with you.

Last edited by LeBlondeDemon10: 04-25-2013 at 02:57 AM.
LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:33 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Duel Cancer Survivor

I'm going with Perreault over Sittler, but it's close.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Out of these two Hall of Fame centermen drafted in 1970, who was better?
Oh geez....that is a good one! So close I can't pick. Perrault had all those years on that great French Connection line. Then Sittler had all the character taking those Leafs to upset good teams in '70s playoffs. Perrault played longer but I think Sittler reached a higher peak in his career, for a couple of years he was best center in game around Canada Cup '76.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Oh geez....that is a good one! So close I can't pick. Perrault had all those years on that great French Connection line. Then Sittler had all the character taking those Leafs to upset good teams in '70s playoffs. Perrault played longer but I think Sittler reached a higher peak in his career, for a couple of years he was best center in game around Canada Cup '76.
Killion hatchet job aside, Sittler was never the best center in the game. The torch was passed from Beliveau to Mikita to Espo to Clarke to Trots to Gretzky to Mario. After that it gets dicey.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:28 AM
tony d
Irish Spring Soap

Perreault for me.

Celebrating 10 yrs. at hfboards today. Thanks everyone for making the past decade so memorable. Here's to 10 more years.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Killion hatchet job aside, Sittler was never the best center in the game...
Your right. That was mean spirited of me. I apologise.... after what now, 46 years?
I just get so darn angry sometimes, bottles just magically appear, gets a little crazy.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Big Phil

I have to take Perreault on this one. From an NHL standpoint you'd have to say he had the better career. And I've always felt Perreault is a player whose stats underrate him. Other than being a downright joy to watch, I think he was a slightly better playoff performer than Sittler and regardless of which time he played internationally he was spectacular. Probably was the best forward in the 1976 Canada Cup. That was a prime Perreault right there for the world to see. Things may have been different in the 1981 Canada Cup had Perreault not broken his foot too. He was flying out there. I'd have to say Perreault aged better too, but the mental stress Sittler had to endure from Ballard took its toll I am sure.

Sittler and the Leafs from 1974-'79 lost to the Bruins, Flyers, Flyers, Flyers, Habs and Habs in the postseason. 3 of them Cup winners, all but one reached the final. So you can't blame Sittler.

But over a full season, I'll take Perreault by a pinch here.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Your right. That was mean spirited of me. I apologise.... after what now, 46 years?
I just get so darn angry sometimes, bottles just magically appear, gets a little crazy.
I don't have the same views as you do regarding Sittler. I've met him numerous times over the years dating back to his time with the Leafs, and he was always a class act. One of the most genuinally nice people I've ever met involved in the game. The great purge of the late 70's is what ended my fanship of the Leafs, so yes I hate Ballard and assign the blame to him almost 100%. Cheered for the Habs and Leafs almost equally back then. Loved Sittler, McDonald, Palmateer et al.

As for Eagleson, a number of respected players from that generation stood by him, not just Sittler. They were wrong IMO, but even respected people have the right to be wrong every now and then, just like you in regard to Sittler

Old
04-26-2013, 07:05 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Killion hatchet job aside, Sittler was never the best center in the game. The torch was passed from Beliveau to Mikita to Espo to Clarke to Trots to Gretzky to Mario. After that it gets dicey.
For a couple of years in late 70s Clarke started to slide a little. Canada Cup '76 to playoffs '78 Sittler was best center in game. As shown by Sittler's performance in Canada Cup and upset of heavily favour Islanders in '78 playoffs. He did it alone, without Salming as he was out of series with eye injury.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
For a couple of years in late 70s Clarke started to slide a little. Canada Cup '76 to playoffs '78 Sittler was best center in game. As shown by Sittler's performance in Canada Cup and upset of heavily favour Islanders in '78 playoffs. He did it alone, without Salming as he was out of series with eye injury.
Espo until 1974. Clarke from 74 to 77. Yes, Clarke slid a bit in 76-77 but in 76-77 Clarke was a tad better than Sittler. For that one season alone, Dionne was probably the best center in the game, but not enough to take the title, because he had a really off year the next season. Clarke, being a two time MVP, gets the benifit of the doubt that season and retains the title.

Trottier 77 to 80. Trottier, not Sittler, took the title from Clark in the 77-78 season.

Gretzky From 80 to 88. Mario from 88 until his first retirement. From this point on, until Crosby, there are a number of contenders for the title.

Old
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
solidmotion

Quote:
Gretzky From 80 to 88. Mario from 88 until his first retirement. From this point on, until Crosby, there are a number of contenders for the title.
I'd say it's really between Sakic and Forsberg - 1st and 4th among centres from 98-04 (2nd and 3rd in P/G behind Lemieux in his comeback), both Hart winners and 3x 1st team all stars & the cup in 01. Come to think of it, they're 1-2 in playoff points in that stretch too, with 3 of the top 4 playoff runs. Nobody else is particularly close to that resume in that stretch.

solidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:00 AM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
i love that you hate sittler the way i hate markus naslund.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i love that you hate sittler the way i hate markus naslund.
Interesting parallels actually, though hatred is too strong a word. Lets just say... disappointed?... plus, I just dont like the name Darryl.... Jason, thats another one. Who names their kid that? Handicapped right outta the gate. Everyones gonna think your a psycho... and ya, a lot of Marks, Marc's & Markus's, can be difficult.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Espo until 1974. Clarke from 74 to 77. Yes, Clarke slid a bit in 76-77 but in 76-77 Clarke was a tad better than Sittler. For that one season alone, Dionne was probably the best center in the game, but not enough to take the title, because he had a really off year the next season. Clarke, being a two time MVP, gets the benifit of the doubt that season and retains the title.

Trottier 77 to 80. Trottier, not Sittler, took the title from Clark in the 77-78 season.

I more or less agree with you on this, although it would be interesting to see if anyone else would fill the Mikita-Clarke gap is Espo hadn't been traded to the Bruins and unlikely was handed the baton from Mikita.

I would also be interested in seeing your list or thoughts on how the center handle has been passed around since Mario's first retirement and if Feds has it during his Hart year.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:29 AM
VMBM
Uncool & heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
That was a prime Perreault right there for the world to see. Things may have been different in the 1981 Canada Cup had Perreault not broken his foot too.
Only 7-2 for the Soviets in the final?

As for the question, it's Perreault easily for me. Eye test - even if a slightly limited one - tells me that Perreault was clearly the better player. I guess stats-wise they are pretty close.

Quote:
Sittler was okay in the Canada Cup and scored the series winner (which probably got him the All-Star berth). However, overall Perreault was much more important player for Canada IMO. I'm not totally sure, but I don't think Sittler even played as center in the tournament?* (Perreault certainly did.)

Peter Stastny said this about Perreault in the 1976 CC:
Quote:
The player who stunned me the most and who I previously had never heard about was Buffalo Sabres Gilbert Perreault. Never before in my life had I seen such a dynamic skater. When he took off I got the feeling that a locomotive was making its way down the ice. Perreault was so smooth that he had no trouble going coast to coast, around the defensemen like a knife through butter. He wasn't a typical Canadian player, although a big fellow, he was a fantastically technical player, far superior to any of his teammates.
http://www3.telus.net/worldcuphockey/peterstastny.html

* Edit: I guess he did after all; maybe I mixed him up with Dionne, who played as a winger, first with Espo (center) and Hull, then Perreault (center) and Hull.

Last edited by VMBM: 04-27-2013 at 03:20 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote